twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-24-2019, 12:01 AM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6727
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Shards of the Lost Era

Game NameShards of the Lost Era
Game SystemPF 2e
ThemePost apocalyptic recovery in a world without gods.
FlavourChoose your own flavor
Plot Summary
PremiseThere will be three rounds of creation for this game. It will be player driven because you will be helping to chose the part of the setting that this story is going to unfold in and you are also going to chose the hook that is going to get your character involved in the world of Adraka.

You will need to read the wiki that I wrote on Adraka to participate. I will list the stages of application below. Please read them carefully.

You do not have to participate in every stage to earn a spot in the game, in the end it will come down to which five characters are well written, well thought out (with realistic feelings and reactions), and who best fit into the world of Adraka.

The post rate for this game will be twice a week, most likely on Thursdays and Sundays for GM posts.
Stage OneFor this stage you will be stating that you find the premise interesting and that you would like to build a character in the world of Adraka.

Do not build a character or start a write up!

All I want from you at this point is for you to select a city that you think would be fun to play our game in.

Complete

After I tally the votes for the cities I will post the results and we can move on to Stage Two

Stage Two

Much like in the first stage you will not yet be making a character. You will just be voting for which you think would be the most fun/interesting hook to play.

Do not build a character or start a write up!

All I want from you at this point is for you to select the hook that you think would be fun to play.

Complete

Hook One
The Coup

right-aligned image
The salt air whipped up the steep cliff side and over the crumbling walls of Corsa. A sharp and acrid smell of rotting seaweed in the summer heat and the scent of the sea itself. The breeze spilled into the bustling streets. Most people don't live near the cliffs for fear of crumbling stones, it is home to the poor, but the salty breeze stretched through the entire city, even kissing the crops on the surrounding plains.

The square was a quiet one, far from the grandeur of the city center and far enough from the market to only have people pass through that had a destination in mind. It is home to a couple of established taverns and an armorer. You just happen to be a local patron of the Blue Gull, a cozy place where you gather with other locals to sip of Corsan Ale and swap lies.

The friendly barkeep is Arvain, a gregarious halfling with a constant sparkle in his eye and a grin that never seems to fade. Jules, another hafling, runs the kitchen and cooks a mean stew, thick and full of chunks of meat, carrot and potato, right now she is working her summer recipes, cold hand pies of swede, turnip tops and beef aspic. These are slightly less popular but all agree it is better than eating stew in the sweltering summer heat.

Hangan Pilg is the human owner and he is a formidable character, not only is he rotund but his personality is ample to fill any room. He won the Blue Gull in a round of dice, three years ago. Though he was inexperienced he quickly filled into the new position as resident owner making himself at home in a web of gossip and the joys that could be found in his establishment. He has become a fixture in the neighborhood as it were.

Hangan set up a stage last year in the back of the Blue Gull and has taken to inviting tellers of tales and singers of songs to come and regale his patrons. He tries to have at least one performance every night and more on holidays. It is a rare treat in Corsa and every night it draws a crowd.

Tonight the orator takes the stage, a dashing man dressed in finery. Most of them wear their best to make their performances, but this man was over and beyond, was it possible that it was real crimson silk and real gold thread that lined his expertly dyed red suede coat? Anything was possible in Corsa, it is a Royal City.

Just as the man is about to speak another man bursts through the door way, panting and holding his side. Swords are leveled at him but all hold and wait for tense moments as he catches his breath, "The king is dead!" He manages to shout it, and murmurs erupt from the crowd, panic spreads as well as morning.

The messenger manages to get to his feet, stumbling forward, towards the stage, "My prince, it is the Count Valorue, he has claimed the crown and an edict of execution on site has been placed on you."

The trail of blood and the marks of the royal livery are now plainly in site, this is really happening. Loss of blood and exhaustion have taken over the poor man, and most of the patron have begun to pour out of the small tavern, eager to verify the change of power.

The prince stands in shock it is Hangan who springs into action, knowing you to be able bodied and a few others in the tavern as well he calls you to his table in front of the gobsmacked prince, "If you have ever been loyal to the crown this is your chance to prove it. Get this man out of here, take him far from Corsa. Valorue will hunt him to the very edge of Adraka. Keep him safe and wait for news of Valorue's death.

Go, you haven't much time, your highness,"
and with that you and your royal charge are ushered out in the alleyways in search of a way to escape a city with unknown dangers.

I tallied the votes and The Coup wins.
Stage ThreeThe hook has been chosen, it is The Coup.

Completed Character Application Deadline September 13th 12am

I'll PM those that are chosen sometime on the 13th.

Applications and Character SheetsPlease be aware that a complete character sheet isn't needed for this game unless you are selected. I am just posting the BBcode version for the convenience of anyone that might be interested. Courtesy of Redwolfe77.

For your character write up please use images no larger than 300px across (imgr tags are preferred) and this format:
Application
Character Name:
Ancestry & Heritage:
Class:
Background:

Personality and Appearance:
(GM recommends at least 2 paragraphs)

Character History: (Include information about how you got involved in the hook)

In Character Writing Sample:

Stage One Tally
ThubinrueCorsaNelasOrmakShuulEmern

Stage Two Tally
The CoupTreasure HuntTaking Up the Bounty

Stage Three Applicants
PlayerCharacter NameAncestry & HeritageClassComplete?
KshnikWIPRock DwarfWild Shape DruidN
KaiyaJendra ViranVersatile HumanMonkY
Silent RainTalathel GundryHuman (Half-Elf)FighterY
VatheJugar of CorsaVersatile HumanRogue RuffianY
OsseNilimaVersatile HumanSorcererY

Last edited by Pendragon; 09-06-2019 at 12:03 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:20 AM
Punk Terror

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3659
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
I enjoy the ideas presented in three of the locales. Those being Ormak, Nelas, and Thubinrue. Ormak will be my present choice though I could be swayed to Nelas in time.
Old 08-24-2019, 03:48 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 842
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Man, I like every place. They all sound awesome and full of life.

With the rise and fall of civilization, I get a heavy Conan-vibe from this game for some reason. It makes me want to make up some weird false god and be a sandalled reaver. Probably isn't that sort of game from what I'm getting but I can't deny that inspiration in me!

My Pick: Corsa, City on the Captured SeaFirst, I like the locale. It's in the center of things and with plenty of its own potential adventure, with a lake of poisonous creatures and an ale-powered people. Sounds like people from here are strong when they've got so much meat to eat and manual labor to do. And the many other ruins that surround the lake would provide for plenty of backdrop and reason to head out. Certainly some would wish to expand the horizons of civilization further or at least see more of this world.

Also, Corsa's wealth in food and open gates make me think they have to deal with raider tribes sometimes, even if warfare is uncommon.

As well, the Captured Sea could host so many thought-lost sea monsters that have been contained in the shifting of plates. And, the city is close to my other favorites: For its intriguing propensity for noble warfare, storm-port feel and it just feels like a place that's broiling and churning for something to set it off into some grand and great happening.Emern, I mostly like Shuul for its great beasts and wild decadence. It sounds like a cool place to hear about and try to reach for some goal, but staying there for a great period would dampen its exotic nature.Shuul and Ormak's undermountain is full of wild possibilities for spelunking adventure and the finding of lost secrets deep under ground. As well, the paragon deities have a great start point for those who wish to promote a god (even if they wouldn't gain power from it, which I also like!). And I can get behind a king that's just trying to corral the cave dwarves to a better life but they're so stubborn in their ways.Ormak.

However, I fear it doesn't have the same immediate potential as Nelas's mining camps and dictatorial rule or Emern's noble politics.

Last edited by Vathe; 08-24-2019 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:04 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
EditionsVeteran
I like Corsa also. For some reason, the accompanying photo captured my imagination and the locale, a city among husks of cities also tickles me.

So. Corsa it is.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:33 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 779
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
I will put a third on Corsa.
A captured sea tickles my imagination and also makes me curious of inland pirates.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:12 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 467
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Shuul seems like a decent place to start. It's got both political intrigue, and frequent combat.

One concern: Am I right in thinking that this setting is patriarchal? All the current rulers, and all their heirs are male; As are all but one of the previous rulers. The exception is noted as being the land's first and only Queen. There's also an off-hand mention of foods 'which every wife has a family recipe for'. Are women expected to stay at home and cook? The setting interests me. But I'm a bit wary of how my PC would be treated in it.
Old 08-24-2019, 10:35 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1301
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
I am really impressed by the description of the various cities, their populace and the ruling classes. They are all unique and memorable, each having a certain character or quality the others lack. You really seem to have put a good amount of work in the creation of Adraka, Pendragon!

Even though all cities would be great places to start a memorable adventure, I must admit that I am partial to Ormak. The Paragons as a concept intrigue me and that is also true for the relationships between the dwarves and the rest of the populace. I would love to know more about them, so Ormak it is!
Old 08-24-2019, 12:37 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
@Kaiya - I understand your concern. I modeled the cities with bits and pieces of ancient cultures/emergent civilizations. Most of them European. Unfortunately a lot of them were patriarchies. Which is fine, it just means that you have a chance to make a character that is going to crush the patriarchy!

I would also say that, in general, there is no stigma for a woman being an adventurer, they have just been kept out of ruler ship in most cases. You have to remember that these people are just now coming together over the past 500 years to form their cities. Before that delegations of tasks between sexes was a big thing and was in place to help the small farmer or hunter gathering band to survive. It wasn't considered sexist at the time is was survival. There are several cultures in our past that were matriarchies and I have used them for my settings in the past, I just didn't do it this time.

I just want you to know that I do intend to make an inclusive game. It is also a LGBTQ+ friendly game.

@Everyone - Thanks for the interest so far. I have had fun writing up this setting and I can't wait to get into the city that you all choose.

I will update the tallies right now so we can track which is trending.

Edit: I will make the tally into a table. It looks bad. I have errands to run I will update it when I get back.

Last edited by Pendragon; 08-24-2019 at 12:41 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 01:43 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 264
Mason Mason Mason
My vote goes for Corsa. For me, it seems like it have more options. Kind of a choose-your-own-adventure. Every other city seems to be more based on politics.
Old 08-24-2019, 05:50 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Corsa seems to be well ahead, but there is still plenty of time to vote so none of the cities are out of the running.

I have an anonymous vote for Thubinrue, made via discord, but I don't think I will add it to the tally unless that person actually posts in the thread.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2743
Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik Kshnik
I saw that most of the votes were for Corsa and then read the descriptions on the cities; in my mind stating I am not going to vote for Corsa just to be the black sheep. However, after reading all the descriptions I have to agree with the consensus. Corsa gets my vote.

Last edited by Kshnik; 08-24-2019 at 09:08 PM.
Old 08-24-2019, 09:55 PM
Gran calavera eléctrica

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 418
mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne mrtowne
I'm going to vote for Corsa as well, with Shuul as a close second
Old 08-24-2019, 10:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1558
Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest Krow Nest
I'm just... gonna go with the majority and say Corsa
Old 08-25-2019, 12:32 AM
Chaos Elf Fun

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1054
Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla Sarsprilla
I am most interested in Shuul. We could ride elephants and camels guys. Also tropical! Maybe I can go a beastmaster Hunter and tame a tiger or be a druid and turn into a hippopotamus.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:56 PM
Dwarven T-Rex Pal/Wiz

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 999
JasonWFD JasonWFD JasonWFD JasonWFD JasonWFD JasonWFD JasonWFD JasonWFD
This sounds really interesting. My vote goes for Emern.