Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 486
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Name: Jendra Viran
Ancestry & Heritage: Human (Versatile)
Class: Monk
Background: Martial Disciple

Appearance: Jendra is a tall, muscular woman. She has a physique born from many years of labour. Her long black hair is kept tied back, so that it doesn't get in the way. Her brown eyes peer out from a face usually speckled with dirt. She usually wears thick, durable clothes, that pay no heed to fashion.

Personality: Jendra is very down to earth. Her approach to life is simple and straightforward. She's been raised to fulfil a clear role in society. Said role mainly involves hitting people. She dutifully sharpens her skills every day. That's not to say that she's dour or joyless. She's quite a jovial person. Rather, she's content to focus on being one particular thing. Jendra sees herself as a defender of the weak. When enemies come, people will depend on her. She must be ready. Jendra spends most of her time preparing for a day that will hopefully never come.

History: Not every warrior can be an armoured knight. Adraka is still crawling back from the brink of disaster. Resources are scarce. People make do with what they can. So the land's peasants have developed their own methods of self defence. A strong martial tradition has bloomed amongst the lower classes. Most just learn a few basic techniques. But a few hone their bodies into deadly weapons. Jendra Viran is one such warrior.

She grew up amongst the Watchers: A dedicated group of martial artists. The Watchers are spread loosely across Corsa's territory. They defend people that the military deems too 'insignificant' to bother with. Jendra has been practicing katas since childhood. She's extremely proud of her heritage and role. But though the Watchers are respected by commoners, the powerful pay them no heed. After all, nobles have scores of trained guards. Why would they ever need the aid of a peasant militia? The crown prince probably believed that too, until today. Now he's suddenly become a desperate fugitive. And fortunately for him, a Watcher just happened to be lunching at the Blue Gull. Jendra Viran will finally have an opportunity to test herself on a grand stage.

Last edited by Kaiya; 09-02-2019 at 10:41 PM.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:09 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 785
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
Does your universe allow for gunslingers?
Old 09-02-2019, 05:58 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6775
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
@chubbyninja - I haven't seen any rules for gunslingers in 2nd edition yet.

@editionsveteran - That would give you a bit of insight into the prince that others wouldn't have. I would prefer if you played a character that just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I do like the idea, I just don't think it would work this time.
Old 09-02-2019, 06:06 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6367
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Silk.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	81483  

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal

Last edited by Silk; 09-05-2019 at 01:48 AM.
Old 09-02-2019, 11:24 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6367
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyninja29 View Post
Point 1: Well that's a bit of a bust as far as gunslinger goes

Point 2: So we (just random patrons) who have no personal history with this noble, and at the request of someone else we don't know (and have no affiliation with beyond his dying wish), are supposed to at level one ferret away a highly sought after target.
Yep! Think of the potential benefits of a King personally owing you his life and his Kingdom! That's Silk's take on it anyway.

"Play HAVOC! And Let Lose the Dogs of WAR!"

DMing: An Untimely EncounterPosting Status: Normal

Last edited by Silk; 09-02-2019 at 11:24 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 02:34 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
EditionsVeteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pendragon View Post
@chubbyninja - I haven't seen any rules for gunslingers in 2nd edition yet.

@editionsveteran - That would give you a bit of insight into the prince that others wouldn't have. I would prefer if you played a character that just happened to be in the right place at the right time. I do like the idea, I just don't think it would work this time.
Thanks for the answer, Pendragon. The idea was that the PC would want to help the prince. Otherwise, especially in the grim, interesting world you have described, it would be hard to see why would someone help the prince. A deposed king's favor would not be enough to send strangers in a flight for the life.

May I second the idea that we include some reason the character would help? For example, perhaps my dwarf does NOT work for the prince, but instead he has a debt to one of the minor noble houses. Perhaps his master - or his lady - cares enough for the prince to order his most trusted retainer to help the prince. Would that work?
Old 09-03-2019, 04:16 AM
Pesky Goblin

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1094
Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe Vathe
Pen. I have a couple questions about the Corsa and Adraka at large. I'm currently working out a burglar-type character.

1. How developed is Corsain armor and weaponry? Is leather the best a common warrior would expect, or is there mail around?

2. What would common folk know of the outlands between royal cities? Are there well known threats out there? Are there smaller settlements about?

3. Is magic common? Would a normal man expect to ever see magic take place, or is it mostly just hearsay and charlatans for low caste folk?
Old 09-03-2019, 02:30 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon Pendragon
Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbyninja29 View Post
Point 2: So we (just random patrons) who have no personal history with this noble, and at the request of someone else we don't know (and have no affiliation with beyond his dying wish), are supposed to at level one ferret away a highly sought after target.
I'm not writing your character. You are the one that needs to be creative and figure out how or why your character would be interested in helping the prince. This is also a split second decision for your character, perhaps they will regret it later. One more point would be that your characters aren't a tanner stepping in for an ale, at level one you know how to fight, those around you recognize you as someone who is capable. This is a common misconception about table top characters, level one is not walking off the farm with a shovel.

Be creative and don't try to turn the burden onto me, this was one of three hooks that I presented, you might not have voted for it but if you don't like it simply walk away. That goes for everyone else that posted or PMed along those lines. You aren't scoring points with the GM asking them to write your character for you. Work with what they give you or don't. There are other games out there, perhaps not using 2nd Edition Pathfinder, but there are other games.

@Vathe - Metal is common, steel is easy to find in ruins and tempering has been rediscovered. Expect them to be armed in typical Pathfinder fashion.

Commoners wouldn't know close to anything about the spaces between the kingdoms. Most would have never traveled beyond the outlying farms. There are still scattered villages and farms making a go of it out in the wilderness, there will be stops along the way if we are travelling but you can never be sure what you will run into. Headhunters are a thing, zombies are common, magical curses happen, blighted land similar to the blight touched Captured Sea is also very common. Geographically you are in an area that gets snow but there are wild tales of areas that never get winter, such as Shuul. There are a lot of tales that circulate from those that do travel beyond for trade, but it is hard to say which is a tale told for fun and which is truth.

Magic is 2e standard, which means that higher level spells are uncommon or rare, but cantrips and 1st level are common or slightly uncommon. Divine magic doesn't work as stated on the wiki, none of the new gods are powerful enough to influence the world, yet.

@Everyone - I will update the application table in a few minutes, sorry about the delay. I had to add another class to my schedule to qualify for my financial aid, it was all very last minute and it has thrown me through a bit of a loop. I would have sat on the ad for a few more weeks if I would have known the insanity that was coming for me with these new rules at my college. In a week or two things should settle in to a new normal.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:35 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 486
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Quote:
...This is also a split second decision for your character, perhaps they will regret it later.
I'd find it hilarious if the prince turned out to be an awful person. The PCs smuggle him out of Corsa, at great personal risk: Only to discover that he's an incompetent, arrogant brat. That'd probably implode the campaign, though.
Old 09-03-2019, 03:40 PM
Winnie in Boots

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
PoohPuss
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaiya View Post
I'd find it hilarious if the prince turned out to be an awful person. The PCs smuggle him out of Corsa, at great personal risk: Only to discover that he's an incompetent, arrogant brat. That'd probably implode the campaign, though.
Hopefully he's a rich incompetent arrogant brat
Old 09-03-2019, 04:00 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 785
chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29 chubbyninja29
I will withdraw my application. Good luck guys! Hope you get picked!
Old 09-03-2019, 04:33 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3182
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Talathel Gundry
right-aligned image
Character Name: Talathel Gundry
Ancestry & Heritage: Human (Half-Elf)
Class: Fighter
Background: Martial Disciple

Personality: Talathel (Tal, to his friends) is easy going and not quick to anger. His experiences in his youth might have jaded others, but they granted him a tough skin and an appreciation for the underdog. He feels comfortable functioning within the confines of societal norms, but has no compunction about abandoning them if it suits his need. Much like his personality, his fighting style is one that seeks to make use of every advantage he can get his hands on him. He learned a long time ago that those that restrict their actions to the confines of limitations such as honor are usually the ones that find themselves on the end of someone's blade who doesn't.

Appearance: Talathel stands nearly six feet tall, is well muscled, and sports a somewhat kept beard. His hair falls to the top of his back, but this is mostly kept tied, hiding any evidence of his bastard heritage. Comfortable in armor of any type depending on what the circumstances called for, he always wore leather as a minimum and kept his sword at his hip.

Character History: Talathel's mother had lived in a small elven community until a band of brigands attacked in the night, wantonly pillaging and ravaging everything they could lay their hands on. When it became obvious that she was with child not long after the attack, she was asked to get rid of the child. She refused and was sent away.

She took refuge in a human city, taking whatever odd jobs she could find. Years passed this way until Talathel was a teenager. He also found himself faced with discrimination and bias, closing many doors to him. It was not until a mercenary group stopped nearby and came into town looking for new recruits. Despite his mother's desperate pleas that he not go, he joined.

Almost immediately, they treated him like dirt. But Tal found that all the new recruits were treated this way. It was not until he began to prove himself that he began to earn respect. In his mind, these mercenaries, men that most "civilized" society deemed as lesser than, treated him with more humanity that anyone had.

Years passed and Talathel had made a name for himself, working now as a freelance mercenary, taking jobs at his discretion. As it happened, he was in the city of Corsa, trying to enjoy an ale at the Blue Gull the night a man wearing royal livery stepped into the common room, bleeding all over the floor.

In Character Writing Sample: Talathel took another long pull of Corsan from his mug and set it down on the table in front of him, watching with mild interest as the man burst into the common room shouting that the king was dead. At least the nut was entertaining, he thought. Still, the hairs began to rise on the back of Tal's neck even before he began to notice the details of the scene before him.

The royal livery, the trail of blood he was leaving behind as he approached the stage, and ultimately addressing its occupant wearing very fine clothing, he just realized, were all beginning to paint a picture he was not liking. As the man addressed him as Prince, it was like a weight being dropped on top of Tal. The motion in the room seemed to slow, he could hear the sound of men shouting and metal on metal coming from outside and inside, hands began reaching for their weapons as the eyes of panicked patrons began darting around. The room was about to explode.

Talathel had no loyalty to the throne or its Prince, but anyone looking to entertain the common folk could not be that bad. Besides, saving a Prince must surely be beneficial to his purse.

With that settled, he emptied his ale and threw over his table, hoping to draw attention to himself. He drew his sword as he neared the stage. Someone approached from his side and he promptly put his fist into his face, preferring to not wonder as to his intentions.

"Your highness, if you would be so kind as to follow me? We can discuss my contract when we are safely away", he said with a smile.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 09-04-2019 at 10:14 AM.
Old 09-03-2019, 04:46 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 98
EditionsVeteran
Quote:
I'm not writing your character. You are the one that needs to be creative and figure out how or why your character would be interested in helping the prince. This is also a split second decision for your character, perhaps they will regret it later. One more point would be that your characters aren't a tanner stepping in for an ale, at level one you know how to fight, those around you recognize you as someone who is capable. This is a common misconception about table top characters, level one is not walking off the farm with a shovel.

Be creative and don't try to turn the burden onto me, this was one of three hooks that I presented, you might not have voted for it but if you don't like it simply walk away. That goes for everyone else that posted or PMed along those lines. You aren't scoring points with the GM asking them to write your character for you. Work with what they give you or don't. There are other games out there, perhaps not using 2nd Edition Pathfinder, but there are other games.
This was a rather heavy-handed answer, for pointing out a serious flaw in your reasoning. Yes, we will look to other games. And we know what first level characters can and cannot do. Some of us, if you have classes in college, were playing RPGs when you were still in kindergarten. It could be that we know what we are talking about.

Have fun everyone. I withdraw my application.
Old 09-03-2019, 05:45 PM
Pendragons at Work

Tools
User Statistics
@SilentRain - Welcome, I'll add you to the table.

@PoohPuss - Aren't all bards arrogant, if not a little bratty? I spilled the beans, he is a bard, level 1, and he will support you all in combat. Other bards can still apply of course, he is just a very important NPC after all.

Last edited by Pendragon; 09-03-2019 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-03-2019, 06:28 PM
Winnie in Boots

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
PoohPuss
Quote:
@PoohPuss - Aren't all bards arrogant, if not a little bratty? I spilled the beans, he is a bard, level 1, and he will support you all in combat. Other bards can still apply of course, he is just a very important NPC after all.
He better have Heal in his repertoire XD
Closed Thread