twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-26-2019, 01:32 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens

Game name
Uncaged: Our Fair Maidens

A one-shot adventure from the Uncaged project.

Game systemD&D 5e
Themes & FlavorMysterious peril in an isolated town. Flavors of Slavic folklore. Combat is never the only option.

Exploring issues of social status and power. Looking to include characters and players of many backgrounds and perspectives (which I hope includes a mix of experienced and newer players on the site).
A Strange Harvest
left-aligned image
right-aligned image
Degorod is your usual peasant's village. It is poor but peaceful. Now is a time of plenty - the autumn harvest festival is here! A crisp wind has been blowing, the red and orange leaves have begun to fall, and less light falls upon the land with every passing day.

A villager, Dimitri, is dead. He was an old man living on his own, but the cause of death is suspicious. Rumors are swirling, and the citizens of Degorod are beginning to wonder: is there a killer among us? The fresh earth on his grave is a daily reminder that the harvest festival might be stalked by death. The old and wrinkled watch each other suspiciously. The young and beautiful are afraid for their future.

You are a local adventurer of some repute. The festival must go on! It is the crucible that forges the social bonds that allow the village to survive the cold, long, huddled, biting winter ahead. If Degogrod doesn't share and celebrate, it will wither and die. You and some other helpful sorts must come to make sure that the Festival stays safe and the killer (if any) is brought to justice. Perhaps a killer might strike again, but distrust and isolation will kill as certainly as a knife.

The old gods are strong here, as are their helpers and spirits and demons. The people are superstitious, and not without justification. Perhaps judgement has been passed on Degogrod, and the town is doomed. If so, what can outsiders and adventurers do to stop that?
Rules for applicationFor your application, I ask you to give me the basics, plus answer two or more questions that show off your RP chops and give your character a stake in some adventure thematics. I expect to accept about 5 players. I do NOT expect to put much value on mechanical "balance" within the party, and I DO expect to haughtily turn my nose up if I catch whiffs of power-gaming mechanical builds. With that said, I will allow players to build their characters by drawing from all Unearthed Arcana is not published. Campaign books are not rulebooks.WotC published rulebooks.

The Basics: Fill in the following five bullets
  • Name:
  • Race
  • Gender identity:
  • Class: Characters are LEVEL 5, so you'll all have a subclass - I'd prefer that to be declared now..
  • Appearance: images are strongly encouraged, but not required. Paint a (brief) word picture!

Adventure Thematics: answer two questions
Heed this, my most CAPS-LOCKIEST of instructions: DO NOT GIVE ME YOUR CHARACTER'S "BACKSTORY". I don't want to see it, I don't want to read it. For real! Read those caps again, if you are still confused. Notice: I didn't say 'don't HAVE a backstory'. I just literally don't want to see it No, not even cleverly hidden under a spoiler tag.here in this application thread. Having a backstory, in your head or in a file on your computer, will be very useful when you give me what I ACTUALLY want in the other portion of your application:

RP samples: Below is a list of questions/prompts. Show me Two is all I need, seriously. No penalty for two and only two. But if you're anything like me, you might end up writing more, anyways, as you think about which is the "best one" for you to write. If that describes you, feel free to share more.at least two of these scenes, in character. Let us hear your character's voice, and see who they really are.
  • Describe a Yes this is lovey-dovey romantic, not (necessarily?) sexy-smoochey. Keep it PG-13 or below!romantic encounter your character has had, that they will never forget.
  • Your character was once given wise advice from a stranger. Show us that scene.
  • Your character was once frightened by either fire or water. Describe what happened.
  • While still young, you were betrayed by someone you trusted. The wounds have never fully healed. What happened?
  • Where you grew up, there was an annual event that was always special to you. Let us see why it was special.
This game will occur in a culture that is heavily Russian/Slavic influenced. It is appreciated, but not required, if your character reflects this in terms of naming conventions, religion (native slavic, norse/germanic, Finnish, or associated pantheons are all great), and so on. No one is required to adhere to a religion. I am not hyper-familiar with this cultural millieu, so this is more of a 'flavor' choice than something that will deeply influence the narrative or player selection. But it will be a small point in your favor, relative to picking a name and a god more suited to the Forgotten Realms or Greyhawk or Eberron.

As mentioned in various parts of the ad, please feel free to make non-normative class/race/gender/orientation/body type choices in character creation (but I have no requirements in this regard - the norm is indeed the norm!)

I do not require character sheets for now. When we do set mechanics in stone, ability scores will be determined by 27 point point-buy (so that the standard array is an option). You will have the basic starting equipment of your class, plus 300 gp more to spend as you please, plus two uncommon magic items (a list of which may be found here. Since this is a one-shot, you may get character rewards, but you will certainly not level up.

I would like to maintain a pace of two GM posts per week, and I ask players to post at least that much.

There is a That is, supposing I have a critical mass of applications at a reasonable stage of development. We can push this date back, if enough people would benefit from it.soft deadline for applications of Monday September 9th at 10pm EST.
Greater ambitions
right-aligned image
As it says up top, I am drawing from an existing set of modules, the Uncaged project. Uncaged is a collaborative anthology of one-shot adventures designed around two big themes. First, they are directly inspired by the folklore and myths of our world, often being a 'twist' on a well-known story. Second, the project is very explicit in its feminist and LGBT-inclusive approach. I want to be clear about this for a few reasons:

1) If this approach is a concern to you (I'd encourage you to reconsider, but), fair enough. This campaign is probably not your cup of tea, and there are lots of other games on the site. I will not club players over the head with these themes, but they will be a consistent part of the story and the "attitude" of the adventure.

2) It is a one-shot. Each adventure is designed to be run face-to-face in about 3 hours. That means there's usually 4 or 5 scenes/acts, and 1-3 combat encounters. Then boom, rewards granted, insights gained, lives enriched, game over. I expect this adventure to take about 6 months (but who knows? 3-9 months is probably a more honest estimate). I make no promises for a long-running campaign. Quite the opposite; I promise this will end at a very definite point in the not-too-distant future.

If all goes well, when this adventure ends, I will write up a new ad and recruit again for another Uncaged adventure. Rinse and repeat for as long as time, interest, and ability allow. My hope is to make this a sort of mini-series. Each adventure will be stand-alone; new characters at new levels in new contexts will be required at every re-recruitment. But each adventure will share the broad themes mentioned above: mythology, gendered power dynamics, and inclusiveness. I have no plans for running multiple parties at the same time, but in concept it's a possibility for the future.
Applications
Player Character Class Concept Status
AlexN Anatoli Spiva Lore Bard Vagabond scholar with a song Complete?
Azure Nokori Tomas Babic Lore Bard Tiefling man of the people Complete?
Bookfellow Vassiliy Vassilievitch Shepherd Druid Wild man WIP
Charlotte Sylvia Champion Fighter A living statue! Complete?
Ericg1s Karn Weaver Champion Fighter Withdrawn high elf warrior Complete?
goatmeal Carew Gail Lore bard(?) Asexual dandy support Complete
Inuvash255 Alexandr "Sasha" Bragivich Novak Bladesinger wizard Exiled fluid blade-mage Complete
JohnStone Danelli Daggerdash Ranger/rogue Tiny wild woman Complete?
North of Ordinary Skadi Jötunndottr Grave cleric Elf Battle, death, beautyFreyja cleric Complete!
Numen Wraith Suhina Teränen Hexblade warlock Half-drow blacksmith warrior WIP
OsmundCinderholt Celestyn "Red Wanderer" Gabrys Hunter Ranger Aged wandering Krasnoludek Complete?
phinar Danuka Kmak Champion Fighter The shy 'giant' Complete
platypusllamas Poklavit Tkac Abjuration Wizard Non-binary novice? Complete?
rhaiber Dagrún Vanadisdotr Dream Druid Vanir-blooded crone Complete!
Runetide placeholder interest
Sagira Patch-of-Sunlight "Koshka" Bright-Cliffs Divine Soul Sorcerer Twin-spirited gypsy tabaxi Complete?
Trequs Savhra Skuullantar Ancients Paladin Complete!
Ysolde Tatianna Andreevna Evoker wizard Woman of many colors Complete?

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 09-10-2019 at 07:23 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:12 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
ApplicationThe Basics: Fill in the following five bullets
right-aligned image
  • Name: Suhina Teränen
    nen
  • Race: Drow Half Elf
  • Gender identity: Female
  • Class: Pact of the Hexblade

Appearance:
'Tall, dark, & handsome' is usually hoisted upon men in praise of their features, but in reference to Suhina, it was usually heard mockingly from the prettier girls as they threw things at her from outside her father's smithy.

While unkind, it aptly describes the half elven woman who inherited the ashen skin of her mother's people and the dark, thick hair of her father's. Long hours at the anvil and bellows have honed her lanky arms into knotted cords of dense muscle. Long hours of solitude at night have left her arms covered in softly geometric tattoos that braid their way up and down her arms.
Adventure Thematics:
RP samples:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	suhina.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	81435  

Last edited by Numen Wraith; 09-05-2019 at 01:15 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:41 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
This is interesting!

Actually, I would love to try playing in this kind of game. I've been told that all my bad experiences with 5e have been because of the DMs... so a game that has the traits you've clearly identified here sounds like a breath of fresh air!

I have a question while I ponder a character... what's a subclass? I've never gotten past like level 3 with 5e games.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4388
Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon Jon
Oh this is so tempting ... Love the set up, tone and the application approach. Its one that’s set me composing in my head immediately.

Unfortunately I’m full at the moment, so probably can’t do it justice ... but maybe I can’t resist.

If not this one then hopefully next.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:49 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
I've been told that all my bad experiences with 5e have been because of the DMs... so a game that has the traits you've clearly identified here sounds like a breath of fresh air!

I have a question while I ponder a character... what's a subclass? I've never gotten past like level 3 with 5e games.
Sorry to hear 5e hasn't clicked for you yet. I promise to do my best not to be a trash GM

Subclass is your specialization within the class. Many classes don't pick one up until 3rd level, so that's why you wouldn't have encountered it. Rogues can go Assassin, Thief, or Arcane Trickster, for example. Paladins choose an Oath. Bards choose a College. Wizards and clerics start specialized in subclasses at level 1, but many other classes take a level or two before they get to pick their type of special features.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-26-2019 at 02:50 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:50 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Subclasses are essentially the specialties that each character has within their class. They’re thematic sets of abilities you gain as you level up. They replace the tradition of prestige classes and streamline access to them.

Barbarians have “Paths”. Bards have “Colleges”. Clerics have “Domains”. Fighters have “Martial Archetypes”. Monks have “Ways”. Paladins have “Oaths”. Rangers have “Ranger Archetypes”. Roguish Archetypes”. Sorcerers have “Origins”. Warlocks have “Patrons”. Wizards have “Traditions”.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:53 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Wow! Thanks for the fast (and helpful) responses!
I get it now!

Also if you were as bad as the DM's I've had, someone would have told you by now... >.>

I'm thinking a Half-Orc, probably female, wanting to do something non-stereotypical... bard maybe?
Application WIPName:
Race:
Gender ID:
Class:
Appearance:

- Describe a Yes this is lovey-dovey romantic, not (necessarily?) sexy-smoochey. Keep it PG-13 or below!romantic encounter your character has had, that they will never forget.
- Your character was once given wise advice from a stranger. Show us that scene.
- Your character was once frightened by either fire or water. Describe what happened.
- While still young, you were betrayed by someone you trusted. The wounds have never fully healed. What happened?
- Where you grew up, there was an annual event that was always special to you. Let us see why it was special.

Last edited by Runetide; 08-27-2019 at 12:55 AM.
Old 08-26-2019, 02:57 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 486
NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary NorthOfOrdinary
Skadi the 'Little Giant'
right-aligned image

Name: Skadi Jötunndottr

Race: Wood Elf

Gender identity: Female

Class: Cleric of Freyja, Grave Domain

Appearance: A cloaked rider on a white horse approaches the small farm. Just before the pasture fence she dismounts, two dainty sandal clad feet make a scratching noise as they find purchase on the gravel road. There is a pause before her ragged cape is violently ripped apart by the wind and her stallion whines. Even in the fog, her silver winged helmet glints as the silhouette begins its solemn march towards the peasant's house. Her copper-hued breastplate strikes a calming tone alongside the autumn leaves and deciduous trees that flank her. Death has come, and she is no imposing figure.

The woman, in appearance barely old enough to have earned such a title, stands just shy of five feet tall. Her hair falls along her shoulder in an elaborate nordic braid, stopping just below the bottom of her bosom. Platinum blonde in color, the family assembling outside their house to greet her wonders if it wasn't crafted from moonlight itself. So clean in complexion is her caucasian colored skin, they wonder if it wasn't molded out of clay itself. A sword on her back, a shield on her left arm, and a spear in her right hand - there is no wondering here. Such grace, such poise, and so much muscle in such a tiny shape, the family understands the girl before them belongs to the Queen of Battle. One could slice the silent tension with a knife as the maiden stopped abruptly before them, taking a knee in the dirt as she looked up, bright blue orbs for eyes searching the dismayed expressions of the old couple and their flock of children. The high-pitched, sing-song voice of an angel shattered the stiff morning air. It cut with authority, tainted by a note of worry.

"I am called Skadi. I serve Freya. I know he is sick, but you will bring me your eldest son."

Roleplay Sample 1:

Roleplay Sample 2:

Last edited by NorthOfOrdinary; 09-01-2019 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:00 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4347
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
OMG! Definitely interested!

Dagrún Vanadisdotr
right-aligned image

Name: Dagrún Vanadisdotr

Race: Wood Elf (Descendent of the First folk, people of the vanir)

Gender Identity: Crone (as in maiden/mother/crone)

Class: Druid (Circle of Dreams)

Appearance:

RP Samples:

"I He looked to the Kender for wisdom. If there was one thing she was good for, it was pearls of wisdom. Wisdom buried beneath twelve hours of stories about obscure relatives."
-Imveros

Last edited by rhaiber; 09-09-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:07 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Bookfellow Bookfellow
I'd like to throw my hat into the ring as well, with a Sorcerer. Not sure of the bloodline yet, but I'm inclined toward Storm since that seems suitably Russian.

Edit: No, inspiration has struck, hard. Not sorcerer, Druid. One Vassiliy Vassilievitch

Last edited by Bookfellow; 08-26-2019 at 03:37 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 03:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6654
Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith Berith

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 09-08-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:03 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2308
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
I like the idea, both the Uncaged Project (which I was unaware of, but am now a fan of) and the slavic setting. I enjoyed the 1989 CJ Cherryh book Rusalka and the slavic mythic elements in Neil Gaiman's American Gods and would love to play in that sandbox. I'm also half slavic, but utterly Americanized. I do have hesitations in applying as I kinda want women and/or LGBTQ players to have dibs. So I'm waffling for now, but because it looks good, I'm dropping this placeholder.

9/4/19

I don't think I have the time or energy to participate fully, so I'll withdraw in advance. Being unreliable in PBP is very irritating and I don't want to be THAT guy.

Besides, I see plenty of cool characters being proposed, so it is definitely not a loss to the future game. Good luck all.

Last edited by nickostopheles; 09-04-2019 at 08:26 AM. Reason: withdrawing
Old 08-26-2019, 05:03 PM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2765
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
Excuse my ignorance but I can't fathom what can "feminist approach" possibly mean regarding an RPG adventure. Could you elaborate a bit please?

- Does that mean that female characters have equal chance and opportunity for power? (To my knowledge that's already true in most settings, I mean even in LOTR (the grandfather - or grandmother if you like it better - of all fantasy worlds) Galadriel is one of the most powerful people of the world).

- Or is it an euphemism that male players (or characters?) are not welcome?

(I'm not sure it's a good thing to bring politics into gaming. Will there be communist adventures, leftist adventures, conservative adventures also in time?)
Old 08-26-2019, 05:20 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
This is absolutely not an issue that I want to debate in this application thread. Please do not do that here; that's not what application threads are for. As my ad says, if you think this game is ill conceived, I take no offense if you pass this game by. To each their own.

Needless to say, I disagree with much of what you are saying. How many members of the Fellowship or Bilbo's band were women?

Feminist in this context would imply an approach that favors gender equality, and all that would imply for social arrangements. That doesn't mean my game world will HAVE that arrangement. It is simply a maintained value. I see absolutely zero problems with communist, leftist or conservative adventures. This isn't state ideology. This is a few people playing a game.

Again, I respect your concerns. Please don't clutter my ad thread with a philosophical debate. I encourage you to start a thread in General Discussion, if you think this is an important broader issue to address in the RPGX community.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-26-2019 at 07:52 PM.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1941
Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s Ericg1s
Name: Karn Weaver
Race: Elf (High elf subrace)
Gender identity: Male (unattatched)
Class: Fighter (Champion subtype)
Appearance: Tall and thin, with pale eyes, hair, and skin. Rather quiet. Small scars on the back of his hands (old training injuries when learing to duel with rapiers.) Wears rather simple, dull clothing and armor.
Personality: Rather subdued and withdrawn
Ideal: Community
Flaw: Tries to hide his faults.
Bond: Family, especially his sister Lento. He exchanges letters with her continually.
Trinket: A piece of ribbon dropped by an old man at the fair.
Samples:

Last edited by Ericg1s; 08-26-2019 at 07:21 PM.
Closed Thread