Old 08-26-2019, 09:06 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 672
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daendil View Post

(I'm not sure it's a good thing to bring politics into gaming. Will there be communist adventures, leftist adventures, conservative adventures also in time?)
Ja, Comrade. Have you never played Paranoia?
Old 08-26-2019, 11:51 PM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3654
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
WIP
normal image without text wrap
Sasha of Winter - Art by Yoshitaka Amano
"Sasha" may seem informal to some, but that's the only name he'll offer to others.Alexandr "Sasha" Bragivich Novak
Name

Elf (Eladrin) from Mordenkainen's Guide to FoesLjósálfar
Race

As the land is unattached to a single season, Sasha is not overly attached to any particular gender. Gendered terms matter little to him, though her refers to himself with male ones.Fluid
Gender Identity

Sword Coast Adventurer's GuideWizard (Bladesinger)
Class

Sword Coast Adventurer's GuideFar Traveller
Background

★ ★ ★

Appearance

Otherworldly and natural all the same, Sasha is nature personified. As the seasons change, so does his body - but within the heart of every Ljósálfar lies the bounties, wonders, and perils of each season in Midgard. Sasha came into the universe aligned to the autumn, but a life of hardship, loneliness, and betrayals has shifted him towards the cold latter of the season. In his default state, Sasha has hair like flint corn. The base hair is auburn, but is flecked, patched, rooted, and tipped with a cornucopia of color - reds, oranges, golds, and browns. Here and there, trails of morning frost and the rare snowflake shine like highlights and ornaments. His skin is as the dusky shadows on fallen leaves beneath great oaks and maples. His eyes are the cinders of dwindling campfires on cool, breezy nights.With powerful shifts in emotion come huge shifts in appearance and magic. When he is cheerful, he blooms with spring flowers. When he is angry, he burns with the heat of the summer sun. When he is sad or distant, he frigid as an arctic winter.

★ ★ ★

Adventure Thematics

Describe a romantic encounter your character has had, that they will never forget.

-Crack, crack, crack.

The elven sparring foils glanced off eachother. Glittering golden fairy dust exploded from each impact. Sasha's foil deflected away Prince Boris's rapier, and slipped in for a jab. Dramatic sparks illuminated their spritely faces, and cast shadows in the ancient willow glade. The prince's hair swirled with summer wind and shone like the summer sun as a magical shield repelled the point of Sasha's rapier. It was a risky, exhausting maneuver for trainees. The prince would not be able to do it again. They parted as elegant dancers. Sasha's dark chocolate eyes met the prince's dual skies. The adolescent eladrin reunited in a close and speedy waltz of swords that soon became a frantic grapple. Hand in hand, they held away eachother's blade. Sasha felt a shift in the wind, and a warm touch on the back of his ankle, and suddenly they'd both fallen and their blades fell astray.

Sasha looked up at the victorious prince, golden as the summer wheat field. A cool drapery of willow leaves surrounded them from the rest of the world. Birds giggled in the treest, and a nearby brook babbled constantly, but all they could hear were eachother's breath. Prince Boris looked down at his pinned peer, and grinned arrogantly. He stole a lock of strawberry blond hair around his finger and raised it up for the pinned magician to see, "I'll take this as a win." Sasha, at first, didn't know who it belonged to. His own hair was maple-hued. Boris unwrapped the hair from his lithe elven finger and left Sasha staring up at the trees, touching his orange-blossom waves.

"Is that the first time you've felt springtime?" The prince spoke indirectly. He leaned their gold-sparkled fencing swords against the thick trunk of a massive willow tree. He whistled for his mount, and a emerald-tinted ten-point elk pranced out from the foliage into their under-willow glade. Sasha sat up slowly, unwittingly smiling from ear to ear, and brought some of his hair into view. He processed what the prince said, and what he saw.

"Hehe, y-yeah, I suppose it is." He couldn't see it himself, but a wreath of apple blossoms had flowered in his hair.

"We ought to head back, Master Ivan will be expecting us before sunfall." Boris began to pack his elk's saddle bag with their things. He stopped briefly to flip through his spellbook before they left.

Sasha stood up, and saw the world around him in a different light. He marvelled at the fluttering in his stomach and the heat on his cheeks and ears. It wasn't like the wrath of summertime, or the warmth of a autumn evening. This was something new, like a sprouting seed or and opening flower. An idea popped into his head, and he draw out a small carving knife. With a flick of his wrist, he cut a shoot of his own hair. In a smooth motion, Sasha slipped the floral lock between the pages of Prince Boris's spellbook, and pressed his lips to the prince's cheek.

"To always remember me by." His voice was a mere zephyr in the royal's ear. He danced away, grabbed for his sword, and whistled for his own elk.

The last he saw of Prince Boris before riding off into the woods of Álfheimr was a bloom of daffodils in his hair.

☆ ☆
While still young, you were betrayed by someone you trusted. The wounds have never fully healed. What happened?

-Sasha and his Master Trainer, Ivan, were on the edges of the Eladrin King's demense, where the domains of Álfheimr and other worlds grew thin. Word was that in these sparsely wooded hills, somewhere within the milky fog, some sort of Midgardian beast called a 'black bear' had discovered the secret paths among the World Tree's branches and entered the twilit lands of Álfheimr.

Once in these lands, Ivan gave Sasha the lead. The young elf knew that this was a test of some sort, and immediately got to work, using his skills to attempt to find the creature. The wizard in training summoned forth his familiar - a raven in shape, but with a kaleidoscopic sheen to its dark feathers. Like he, his raven was distinctly of Álfheimr. "Help me find it, Kærr," Sasha whispered into his summoned raven's collar. He lifted his arm, and the dark bird took flight. In mere minutes, it returned with the location of the lost bear.

Sasha discovered the bear in a pitiable state, trapped among pricker bushes and thorns in a world totally alien to it. Unlike those of Midgard, the plants of Álfheimr were not so forgiving to thieves. With a wave of his hand, Sasha cast forth a spray of faerie dust that left the bear fast asleep. Soon, it would awaken on the other side, back in Midgard like it had never left.

Together, master and student brought the bear to the thinnest place, where they could clearly see that the branches of the World Tree were shifting. In mere minutes, the pathways would seperate- and this land and that wouldn't touch again until the winds of the cosmos made it so. They dragged the bear to a spot on the road. A shift in worlds carried it off, reducing it to mist, and then nothing. The bear was back from whence it came.

Before Sasha might celebrate a job well done, he felt a prod on his back.

"Now you, boy."

Sasha looked over his shoulder, alarmed, "What?"

"You heard me," said Ivan. His face was icy and uncaring. He'd always been stoic, wintry sort - but for the first time, he saw how cold the deep winter could be. His sword, Frost Brand, was pointed at Sasha's back. The tip aimed for his heart.

Sasha stalled for time, "May I ask why?" He felt a prod in his back, and a cold sensation spread across his shoulders.

Ivan relented, "Boy, I tried to warn you... You've gone too far. You knew your relationship with the prince threatened the King's lineage, the kingdom, and the court."

Sasha felt shame, and the autumnal crown in his hair wilted, "Wha- how?"

"The prince is betrothed to the heir of Air and Darkness. The situation is dire. It's not an age for the prince to be casting goo-goo eyes at a pretty knight in his court."

Sasha teared up as winter came over his entire countenance. He grew pale, his hair became white as frost, and tears froze on his cheeks, "I'll cut it off then. I won't go near him anymore, I won't speak to him."

"Sasha," Ivan said solemnly. His voice cracked, as thin ice into frigid lakewater, "The King has proclaimed, from here on, you are exiled from Álfheimr." There was a peal of thunder, and Sasha was thrust forward into the shifting fingers of fog.

He hit the ground, then tumbled down a muddy hillside. Down, down he fell. On the way, bushes and brushes scraped his bare arms, face, and legs. Crawling vines vainly grabbed at him, but did nothing other than spin him this way and that. Rocks pummeled him like hammers. Finally, Sasha came to a stop at the bottom of a steep, forested hill. His fine eladrin clothes were torn and muddy, and his skin was bruised and bloody.

The exile felt a warm, wetness on his cheek. He imagined it to be his mother, melting and drying his tears with a wet cloth. Or maybe Prince Boris? Maybe this was all just a dream. Sasha muttered his thanks, "I appreciate it, I'm fine... I think... I just had a bad..." When he opened his eyes, instead he saw it was the black bear, licking his face.

Sasha stared beyond the bear at a mundane canopy with a similarly light blue sky behind it. No faeries fluttered in the trees, no nymphs tended to the wilds like a garden, nor did sprites light the sky with clouds of sparkles.

Finally, he sighed, and address the bear properly as the heat of summer passion grew in his chest, "Thank you, sir bear. Like you, I have to find my way back to me home now. I have an appeal to make with the king."

Last edited by Inuvash255; 09-07-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:19 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 981
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
I'm thinking of making a fighter instead of a bard, but I'm having trouble finding a background that actually fits what I have in mind. I want something like being a Militia member

Last edited by Runetide; 08-27-2019 at 03:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:10 AM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Mercenary Veteran? City Watch? You can reskin them or write your own.
Old 08-27-2019, 05:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 940
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
left-aligned image

Name: Tomas Babic
Race: Dispater Tiefling
Gender identity: Male
Class: College of Lore Bard
Background: Folk Hero

Appearance:
Tomas' trifling skin is like a smooth red wine, more a rich Burgundy than a fiery red, well aged and sophisticated unlike a young beer to quaff and to spill. His horns curl in upon themselves, no exposed sharp points and no threat bared, much to mirror their owners demeanor. His face is as soft and sad as the melancholic melody that sadly drifts from his violin, soberly matching with the lifelessness of his attire.

RP samples:
Where you grew up, there was an annual event that was always special to you. Let us see why it was special.

Your character was once given wise advice from a stranger. Show us that scene.

Last edited by Azure Nokori; 08-27-2019 at 08:40 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 07:35 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Thanks to all the applicants so far! I wasn't sure the idea would catch (and apparently there is at least some controversy with the idea). I'll address issues and questions I've noticed below, and once this is posted, I'll work up a table of applicants in the OP. If I missed a concern of yours, please flag it or send me a PM (I generally prefer PMs to an application thread full of secrets that look blank to everybody else).

@Numen Wraith: whisper whisper

@Runetide: As Numen suggests, it's actually standard rules that you can create custom backgrounds. See the bottom of p. 126 PHB. Please feel free to do that - just be explicit (once I ask for full character sheets) about how you've assembled it. The easiest thing is just to take a base background, like Soldier, and replace some bits with features from another background (for example, rename the Guild Artisan's "Guild Membership" into "Militia Membership" or the Acolytes "Shelter of the Faithful" into "Quartering the Militia". If you want to scrape down to bare wood, you can just freely pick two skills, two languages/tools, reasonable gear (as modeled on other backgrounds), and a feature.

In general, @all, I am open to most any re-skin that leaves mechanics (including damage type, size class, etc) untouched.

@nickostopheles: hm, methinks I should pick up that It doesn't seem to be at any of my local libraries, including the huge university, though they're often too snooty to deign to carry any fantasy.Cherryh book. I'm rusty on American Gods, having read & enjoyed it 15 years ago; my wife and I are very slowly struggling through the TV series....

@Azure: Hi, good to see you again! I meant to mention this during Outplay, but your image hosting service is odd. It requires someone (or me, at least) to inspect the image - eg opening it in a new page - and then it auto-detects my browser to approve its viewing, before I can see it. It's inconvenient at best and suspicious at worst. Right now all I see is a broken image icon. You should probably consider a different image hosting service for RPGX.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-27-2019 at 07:56 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:13 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 940
Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori Azure Nokori
Thanks. I’ve tries a few image hosting sites and ended up with various issues. I had success with the application game I made but can’t remember which site it is at the moment. Currently on a load of meds and writing the application beat the hell outta me. I’ll update with a working image soon.

Edit: can image in my app above be seen now?

Last edited by Azure Nokori; 08-27-2019 at 08:41 AM.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2308
nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles nickostopheles
@Daendil - I'd suggest reading the link Wynamoinen posted, for the Uncaged Project, which has several links to interviews and reviews to give you a picture, beyond the game ad itself. Or google something like "feminism, mythology" and see what pops up. That should let you know if you like the idea or not.

@ Wynamoinen - I read Rusalka long ago, and its sequel Chernebog and I seem to remember enjoying feeling the atypical (Slavic) culture for fantasy, but I wasn't super stoked about the story which felt a bit meandery and kind of retreaded the same landscape a lot - same forest, same hut, same villain. I never bothered to read the third book in the trilogy because of that, if I remember properly. So, on reflection, a cautious recommendation.

I have American Gods as an audiobook, haven't seen the TV series, maybe one day. Life is busy and there's a lot more decent TV than there used to be.
Old 08-27-2019, 10:43 AM
Level 30 Commoner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3654
Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255 Inuvash255
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickostopheles View Post
I have American Gods as an audiobook, haven't seen the TV series, maybe one day. Life is busy and there's a lot more decent TV than there used to be.
Not gonna lie, that was the first book I've ever read where I was legitimately sad that it ended. I'd really come to like those characters and that world.
Old 08-27-2019, 12:16 PM
Breaker of 4th Walls

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9559
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Posting some very enthusiastic interest. The application process is what drew me in.

I got an Aasimar Divine Soul Sorcerer that's been sitting in waiting, and I do believe with a appropriate name change, she could be perfect for this.

Question: Could we roll a few of those RP sample options into one scene, but still do at least 2 different samples?

Last edited by Saratek; 08-27-2019 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:53 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Quote:
Originally Posted by saratek187 View Post
Question: Could we roll a few of those RP sample options into one scene, but still do at least 2 different samples?
I prefer two distinct 'scenes'. One thing I'd like to see, in general, is how your characters interact with different people in different contexts. I can imagine someone creating a pair of scenes where one follows naturally into the next, and that would be fine. But diplomatic uses of headers or section breaks would help to keep the scenes separate in my poor limited mind. If you'd like to bundle two-plus prompts into one of your two scenes (thereby responding to three-plus prompts), I'm cool with that.

@ Azure: I'm afraid I can't help with the image. I 'verifed' on your old host, so I could see it then, and your current one now appears fine. I've never had any problems with imgur, which is my host of preference nowadays.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-27-2019 at 01:53 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 01:57 PM
Breaker of 4th Walls

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9559
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
If you'd like to bundle two-plus prompts into one of your two scenes (thereby responding to three-plus prompts), I'm cool with that.
This is what I meant. I already have an idea for rolling two of the prompts, if not a third, together for one of the samples. Then the other two into another sample. I have a... complicated character that I hope you'll enjoy.
Old 08-27-2019, 03:21 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11363
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Name: Tatianna Andreevna
Race: Human Variant
Gender identity: Female
Class: Wizard Evoker
Appearance: At a distance Tatianna has a strange mix of silver and red hair. She is clearly quite short and, without her oddly silver mixed red hair, might be considered a child. Moving closer to her people would note her scuffed mottled brown dress and a face dotted with freckles and then when she opens her eyes all attention is brought to them and her stunning heterochromia. One eye is a vivid blue while the other is a bright emerald green. In addition to all of this her movements seem off, not exactly as natural as most other people and her voice has an odd fey quality to it.

Last edited by Ysolde; 08-27-2019 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-27-2019, 04:26 PM
Half Ratling. All honor.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 456
Sagira Sagira Sagira Sagira Sagira
"Koshka"
right-aligned image
Name: Patch-of-Sunlight "Koshka" Bright-Cliffs
Race: Tabaxi
Gender Identity: Male; identifies Female (Twin Spirit)
Class: Divine Spirit Sorcerer
Appearance: Koshka is beautiful even by cis-female standards among her faraway tribe. Her fur coloration and patterning isn't that different from most Savannah-dwelling Tabaxi with the exception of a brightly pale silver mane. She carries herself in posture and grooms herself not unlike a human or elven woman. Her exotic clothing often shows a bit of fur and reflects her gypsy status in these lands.

Adventure Thematics: Benevolent Gypsy Sorceress
  • Describe a romantic encounter your character has had, that they will never forget.

• While still young, you were betrayed by someone you trusted. The wounds have never fully healed. What happened?

Last edited by Sagira; 09-07-2019 at 11:43 AM. Reason: I may have fixed the image.
Old 08-27-2019, 08:59 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte
Definitely on board with queer-friendly gaming that's a little more thoughtful about how feminine monsters historically reflect their culture's attitudes towards women!

My big idea uses the cover of Uncaged as a jumping-off point: how do you all feel about someone who wanders over from Greco-Roman folklore a little, and has ties to Medusa (or a Medusa analogue?) I can use a different monster from Russian/Gaelic folklore, but it wouldn't quite have the same appeal as playing with the original myth.
Closed Thread