twitter google facebook

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 08-27-2019, 10:27 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
That's a cool concept, Charlotte. I love revamped monsters.

Old 08-28-2019, 08:55 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16507
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
@Charlotte: I've said that if people stick to the Russian/slavic millieu, including the associated gods and mythos, they get a sort of 'bonus points' in their application. Your proposal doesn't do that, so you would not have that advantage in application.

That doesn't mean you can't do it, of course. If that's the story you want to tell, you're welcome to apply with it. Maybe it will hook me, and I will feel unable to turn it down. But it's not the story of the adventure, and it's divergent from the bulk of the other players, so it strikes me as a risky proposition.

The game isn't just set on "Earth but with magic and tieflings"; it's another (Homebrew / not-yet-well-defined) world. I'm happy to let players shape those off-camera realms. It's possible there's a Greek-y culture nearby or far away in the world, but I don't take it for granted that the Greeks are near the slavs because that's how Earth works.

@Sagira: Thanks for the application! Your image is broken in my view. Dropbox can serve as an image-hosting site, but It appears they've changed the process since I stopped using it for this purpose - try googling 'use dropbox for image hosting'it's not so simple as copy-pasting the preview image.

@all: if you are pulling mechanics (classes and races) from non-PHB sources, it would be a great kindness to me if you list which book you're pulling them from. I know the PHB like the back of my hand, but the other sources get hazier pretty quickly.

Last edited by Wynamoinen; 08-28-2019 at 09:07 AM.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:04 PM
Half Ratling. All honor.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 456
Sagira Sagira Sagira Sagira Sagira
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wynamoinen View Post
@Charlotte:@Sagira: Thanks for the application! Your image is broken in my view. Dropbox can serve as an image-hosting site, but It appears they've changed the process since I stopped using it for this purpose - try googling 'use dropbox for image hosting'it's not so simple as copy-pasting the preview image.
I think I might finally have that figured out. Correct me if the image is still wrong, and thank you.
Old 08-28-2019, 02:49 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3976
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
I see a minxy cheetah attached to your application
Old 08-28-2019, 03:33 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Bookfellow Bookfellow
This is still very much WIP, with the RP samples coming shortly, but here's what I have thus far.

right-aligned image
Name: Vassiliy Vassilievitch
Race: Human
Gender Identity: Male
Class: Druid, Circle of the Shepherd (XGTE).

Appearance: It has been said, by more than a few, that Vassiliy Vassilievitch is more beard than man. And it must be said that his beard is indeed remarkable: thick and lush, a dark auburn in color, it has been called “magnificent”. Admittedly, it is generally Vassiliy himself who is saying this…but truth is truth, no matter who it is that speaks it.

Even so, the beard itself is not half so magnificent as the man who wears it. Vasilly is a big fellow, both in breadth and in height. He might perhaps be described as “stout”, or “stocky”, but the man himself has no patience for such euphemisms.

“Tell me, have ever you seen a bear that is skinny, friend? Not once have I ever seen such a thing, and this I tell you: I have known many bears! Nor, in all my years, have I ever met a melancholy bear! Not once! Now I must ask: Are these two things perhaps connected? Think upon it, as I have, and a profound truth will be revealed to you. So, yes, I will have more stew, thank you, and please: be generous with the ladle.”

Vassiliy dresses simply, for warmth and for comfort rather than for style. He favors heavy furs when the weather is cold, and as little as decorum allows when it grows hot. His dearest possession is a broad-brimmed leather hat, battered and worn with age, and Vassiliy (at least in human form) is rarely seen without it.

How else to describe Vassiliy Vassilievitch? His is bold, he is bombastic, he is brave, he is boisterous, and he is many other things besides, not all of which begin with “B”. His voice can be heard for miles, his laughter shakes the rafters, and he is constitutionally incapable of passing a dog without giving it, at the very least, a pat on the head and a scratch behind the ears.

Also, he cheats at cards. Poorly enough that he still manages to lose.

Last edited by Bookfellow; 08-30-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2019, 12:18 AM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
OsmundCinderholt OsmundCinderholt
The Basics:

Name: Celestyn "Red Wanderer" Gabrys
Race: Forest Gnome https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Krasnoludek(Krasnoludek)
Gender identity: Male (He/Him)
Class: Ranger- Hunter

Appearance:
Celestyn is a wizened old Gnome, nearing the latter end of his life. His lightly tanned skin is wrinkled from age and from hard living in the forested wilds of the world. Common among gnomes, and indeed with Mr Gabrys, he too sports a long and wild beard, beginning to grey where it once was a jet black. His bushy grey brows frame his pale blue eyes, which despite his age hold a youthful glint behind their piercing gaze.

The old ranger's attire is as worn as himself. Sat atop his head is a conical cap made of fading red wool, around the base of which a fine black embroidery encircles it. He then likewise wears a red woolen tunic, patched and sewn and reinforced in several places, and and a has a thick black belt around his waist. Hung from his belt is a collection of pouches and waterskins, and on his right hip is an old but well cared for sabre. His red woolen trousers are tucked into a sturdy set of leather boots, hobnailed on their soles. Then, befitting a woodman the Gnome carries a rucksack full of his other gear, and braces his pace with a sturdy walking stick. And of course, clenched between his teeth is his old pipe, on which he puffs on a sweet smelling aromatic tobacco.

Adventure Thematics:

Describe a romantic encounter your character has had, that they will never forget:

The warm summer sun hung high in the noontime sky, shedding a yellow glow on the already luminous field of sunflowers. Sat in the middle of it, on spread out blanket were two young Gnomes. One was a beautiful young woman with large brown eyes, long hair plaited with blue ribbons, and wearing a white sundress. The other, a gnomish man with short jet black hair and a neatly trimmed goatee. They were holding each other, not saying a single word to one another, but simply drank in the comfortable silence together.

After a while, the young man tilted the woman's face towards his and said with an earnest heart, "I love you, you know." The young woman's face brightened with a smile and she leaned in to plant a soft kiss on his cheek.

"I know."

Your character was once frightened by either fire or water. Describe what happened:

Celestyn had spent the winter in a small log cottage he had built in the mountains, but with the coming spring he wished to travel back into town to resupply and to sell off the furs and natural goods he had collected over the long winter. On his journey down the mountain he would cross over a river, which due to snowmelt would be flowing at full force. Normally this is no issue, but his makeshift bridge had been washed away.

"Oh bother..." the Ranger sighed under his breath, taking a better assessment of the river. The waters had become roiling white water, with various bits of debris rushing downstream. Celestyn looked for a clear way across, but really had no good options. Spying a tall dead tree by the riverside, the Gnome decided it would have to do as a temporary bridge. Resigning himself to work, Celestyn took off his pack and dug out his ax, beginning to fell the tree so that it would fall across the gap.

Soon enough, the tree was spanning the gap across the river and the Gnome gathered his things and began mustering his courage to cross. Placing one small booted foot in front of the other, Celestyn begun his balancing act to cross the downed tree... But fate was not on his side. He hadn't lost his footing, but instead another log was being washed down stream and crashed into his bridge.

The last thing he really remembered was the shock of the ice-cold water, and the battering he received from being dashed across the rocks. Miraculously he lived, and washed up at the base of the mountain.

That was the last time he spent the winter in that cottage.
Old 08-29-2019, 01:40 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte
Here is what I got at something that tweaks the myth of Medusa a tad. There are Slavic myths about people being turned to stone for their sins - but you'll definitely notice a bit of Greco-Roman flavor to the character's first vignette.

If she doesn't seem interesting, let me know as I have another more fair-folk inspired character in mind as well.

Sylvia
left-aligned image
Name: Alternate spellings include SilviaSylvia
Race: A reskinned version of the warforged juggernaut - a living construct that's tough and strongA living statue
Gender Identity: She thinks of herself as a she.Woman
Class: A sword-and-shield fighter who needs no armor because she IS armorFighter 5 (Champion)

Appearance: Everyone in the village of Degorod is familiar with Sylvia, as she is a statue in the town center, her origin lost to time. She has stood there longer than anyone in living memory can recall, and been well kept after by village elders, who simply say "we must take care of Sylvia." Some say she is a long-forgotten warrior whose likeness was captured in marble; some say she was a victim of a beast that transforms flesh to stone.

The day after the murder, Sylvia started walking and talking. So that's new.

The newly animate Sylvia seems friendly enough, though few have dared hold a conversation with her. Her hair - or at least, the solid stone facsimile thereof - is kept short in a warrior's cut, and her eyes are as pale white as the rest of her marble form. She wears no armor; her stone body is so tough, no armor is necessary, though she does wear a simple tunic and sandals for other's comfort. She carries a shield and a sword that have been lent to her by village elders - they're of a make unlike local weapons, though they're well-kept and will give as good as they get.

Old 08-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1055
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Application
right-aligned image
Danelli Daggerdash
Race: Wood-Elf
Class: Ranger 2/ Rogue 3 (Scout)
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Background: Outlander
Trait: I'm driven by a wanderlust that led me away from home.
Trait: I'm always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, accidentally breaking them... or pocketing them.
Ideal: There's no room for caution in a life lived to the fullest.
Bond: My friends are like family, I will die for them if necessary.
Flaw: I am over confidant and headstrong, Violence is my solution to most problems

Appearance: Standing barely three feet tall with a youthful gate and expression Dani could almost be mistaken for a small child. Her exuberant and inquisitive nature do little to deter this impression. She moves quickly and speaks even more so, her voice tending toward a high pitched european accent. The tiny elf is usually in a rather unkempt state with long dreads and dirty fingernails. A survivalist by trade she smells of the woods, pine, and smoke.
Dani wears eclectic leather armor of myriad hues that she has fashioned from hides and hand-me-downs. A collector she has several pouches along her belt and a backpack full of supplies. A hunter she carries a wooden longbow that is at least as tall as she is with a fully packed quiver on her back. Never to be caught unarmed she carries a collection of daggers in a bandoleer across her chest as well as a few small knives in her boot.

RP SAMPLES

Last edited by JohnStone; 09-06-2019 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-29-2019, 11:16 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
@all: all these apps look great! Welcome to new applicants, and thank you again to those who have already applied. We've still got lots of time, but I think we have sufficient interest that I can make my 'soft' deadline hard. I intend to close for apps and edits on Monday the 9th. If that impinges on someone with lots of interest, please shoot me a PM.

I'm not generally a huge fan of sending out a mass of feedback; it's a ton of work with this many applicants, and in my experience, the results rarely change my mind about the "right" mix of players and characters to select. If you have particular questions about your proposal, feel free to PM them to me. I haven't read many apps in detail yet. I wanted to give everybody a week to get their main thoughts on paper before I do a preliminary read-through. If I have major and important questions or issues, I'll reach out to you at that point. Otherwise, you should assume that you have conveyed your character proposal well!

@Charlotte: Looks good, an and like I said, as long as the mechanics stay unchanged, I'm happy to allow that race re-fluffinteresting concept! Could you point me to a myth or two that you had in mind? One of my favorite parts of D&D is the way it always exposes me to this sort of foundational / historical / deep-cultural content, and I am totally unaware of whatever stories you have in mind. I'd like to read up. (Or if anyone else has a good folklore collection in this realm, please do suggest it here!)
Old 08-29-2019, 10:57 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 323
Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte Charlotte
Old 08-30-2019, 03:03 AM
Party Associate

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5489
Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs Trequs
left-aligned image

Name: Going for the old Finnish homestead-based surnameSavhra Skuullantar
Race: Volo's GuideScourge Aasimar, though she has only It kicks in at level 3recently realized that she might not truly be human
Gender Identity: Female (she/her)
Class: Paladin of the Ancients, follower of Ilmatar, Finnish spirit of the air
Appearance: Savhra feels an intense connection to the earth - not the plants that burst out from it or the creatures who live above and within, but the rocks and dirt themselves. Where others look for nature in these places, she views them as signs of the power of the dirt and the strength of the mountains, and sees these same features in avalanches, pits of quicksand, and endless mudflats. Her long, onyx black hair and golden eyes give her an air of authority, while her skin and attire blend more naturally into the rock and soil prizes. Owing to her lifestyle, she's often caked with dirt and dust. This brings her comfort, as she feels better connected to the earth this way.

Last edited by Trequs; 09-08-2019 at 11:42 PM.
Old 08-30-2019, 09:18 AM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
Hoo boy, to answer my own question, here's an amazing list of public-domain resources for this type of folklore: https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/slavic.html (and https://www.pitt.edu/~dash/scandinavia.html)
Old 08-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 178
Bookfellow Bookfellow
It's a very nice feeling to find the perfect picture for a character, isn't it? Behold Vassiliy!

Now to finish off those RP samples....
Old 08-30-2019, 10:52 AM
evil daystar

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 38946
Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera Aethera
Dang it, Wyn. I made the mistake of reading this and now I want in, but I'm not sure I should add another game to my plate. But this ad is Aeth-bait in a big way...
Old 08-30-2019, 08:56 PM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11071
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Application

Summary

Danuka Kmak
Race: Half-orc
Class: Fighter (Champion)

Description

right-aligned image
Danuka dominates a room through sheer physical size. At 6'6" and 250, she looks fairly intimidating, especially in heavy armor. She has a sword at her waist and a plain shield strapped to her pack.

Looking past her exterior though, Danuka is anything but imposing. Her eyes are perpetually worried. She has a retiring demeanor; she prefers to position herself to the side or behind the center of attention. She squirms when under scrutiny.

And under scrutiny, her olive green skin has a dusky undertone. She keeps her black hair cut short and swept back. Her eyes are yellow; they make her seem more intense than she actually is. Her lips are full and her fangs pronounced. She is neither plain nor pretty, but something between the two: interesting, perhaps.

Last edited by phinar; 09-06-2019 at 07:54 PM.
Closed Thread