RPG Crossing
twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Old Oct 14th, 2019, 11:17 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12275
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Silverfeathers, Rick, and Suburb I don't have any new notes.

ArcaneJazz

dalarangreen

Seasons End

GradingI have enjoyed the brainstorming and working to provide feedback for your applications these weekends. Tomorrow I will be going through them and assigning points for adherence to the instructions; composition, accuracy, & grammar; storytelling; background; and general fit. Being CS will be used as a tiebreaker if needed. My goal is to take four as originally planned, though my conviction is eroding and I may go for five. We'll see how it goes tomorrow. I won't assign points until after the deadline.

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Oct 14th, 2019 at 04:48 PM.
Old Oct 14th, 2019, 09:34 PM
1)...Nf6

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1974
Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien Caecielien
Because FIELDSET makes pages instead of posts

Name: Elaenia Carren

Race: Human

Class: Sorceress [Fey (sylvan)]

Mechanical Role / Purpose: Summoning, battlefield control, and utility.

Description: El is a slightly petite woman in her mid-twenties with high cheek-bones and a just slightly upturned nose. She has green eyes and wavy, near-black hair. Her skin is a tan, moderately dark olive tone with a few stray freckles. There are calluses on her hands to accompany the scattering of pale scars gained from an active, outdoor lifestyle. Elaenia usually wears the sturdy clothes of a woods-person. She has a reputation as an occasional practical-joker and is quick to mirth when she finds humor in the world around her. Conversely, her ire is a slow, cold thing that is difficult to stir and implacable once set into motion.

Backstory:
El denied the drunk's attempts to hug her with a casual ease. She did, however, chose to indulge his request for a story. Stories got tips if you were working the tavern's bar, and tips were really the whole point of working through all the festivities leading up to Summermoon.

I bit of El's storyThe story goes that Grampa had moved to here, to Bridgetown, sometime during the reign of King Kavan. It's not quite sure exactly when, but it is sure that the town was not been much of a town back then. More like a hamlet. The folk back then had an accord with the Lady in the Water, our local nymph, and she was getting a mite peeved at all the new settlers muddying her river up. So Gramps, keen to make his mark, takes it upon himself to take up negotiations. Turns out they went well, as I'm the second generation of Carren's that's been a bit...uncanny. If that answers your question about my "fey nature."

As to what we do... With Gramps gone, Mom's the one who tries to keep Grandmama's river clean, and all the passers-by from causing too much trouble with the wildlife. I usually help her. Dad trades with you merchants. People think were are a bit of an odd family, but no one complains about the lack of ...refuse... in the water. Grams? I haven't heard from her since I was little...

Pathfinder and RPGx experience: I've played various iterations of DnD starting as a pre-teen. Took the first deep-dive with 3.5, and converted to Pathfinder after being introduced about 6 years ago. I consider myself very well versed with it. Started on RPGx before they changed the name when my table-group started using it to continue after our diaspora. Went on a hiatus after several games stopped (and I moved across the globe). ...and now I'm back.

P.S.I don't expect much in the way of feedback, given the tardy nature of the entry, but if you are inclined to give any I'll be happy to incorporate it. I intend to do some edits tomorrow, and will likely be hitting "refresh page" fairly frequently around essay-writing.

I am heartened by your emphasis on crafting the shared narrative with a minimum technical standard.

P.P.S.I won't edit original content, as you said apps are closed. So I've added some errata for (hopeful) consideration here: I would have emphasized her stronger connection to the forest over river. Her mother walks the line between mother, priest, lunatic, and town mascot - El feels an awkward shadow of her mother's presence and wants to make her own name. She typically uses her comfort in the wilderness to do ranger-esque providing (herb-gathering, etc..), but is not opposed to haggling with merchants or working as a bartender to earn some quick coins.

Last edited by Caecielien; Oct 15th, 2019 at 06:44 PM. Reason: PPS. Cheers!
Old Oct 15th, 2019, 10:09 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma DraconigenaArma
Back from maintenance! Applications are closed. I'll review and make decisions today or tomorrow.
Old Oct 16th, 2019, 01:57 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
After much thought, re-reading, and evaluating I will be accepting 5 players (in alphabetical order):
  • ArcaneJazz
  • Caecielien
  • dalarangreen
  • ricktur63
  • silverfeathers

If you five would wander on over to the Hall of Chit-Chat, we will spend some time socializing there before the pre-game thread starts up. The purpose of the pre-game is to hammer home your place in town, acquaintances, position, profession, and association with NPCs and other PCs. I will open the thread up once everyone has checked in, all the sheets are completed, and the PCs are up on The Unlikely Heroes thread. You may roll for stats in the private thread I’ve set up for each of you, or in the communal misc. rolling thread. Make sure to link to your rolls somewhere if you use the general thread so you don’t lose them.

Old Feb 20th, 2022, 12:23 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by DraconigenaArma View Post
APPLICATIONS OPEN
NameFated Children
a Knick Knacks of Doom episodic

SystemPathfinder 1e

ThemeEpic, Mythic, Cosmic Adventure

FlavorHigh Fantasy, Super Powered, Storytelling

BackgroundJust as there is an ebb and flow of the seasons, so too does the world see great surges and regressions in power. The year is 1092 Age of Peace - the so named modern era following a millennia of warfare ending in the rise to power of an ultimate evil which nearly ended the world.A.P. and power is again surging through the material plane. Great spells once thought lost forever return to the grasp of mortals, warriors display feats of arms unimaginable, and the very balance between mortal and divine rests upon the most fine of points. It is in this great season of change the Fated Children of a new age come into their own. Will you be among them?
Fated Children is an epic level game set in the established cosmos and geography of the Knick Knacks of Doom campaign world. However, despite the power creep beyond sensibility, this is still a storytelling game; albeit with a bit more of a mechanical punch to back up the narrative. The game is not a campaign with an arc, instead it is intended as an episodic where every chapter is an opportunity to explore a new challenge, story, objective, or idea. There are a lot of exciting concepts we can explore at the upper echelons of power, however with power comes responsibility. It is easy to grind the game to a halt and make playing a mindless, tedious morass of gigantic numbers and infinite actions. I think, I hope, with a small group of likeminded players we can have high flying enjoyment and do entertaining things which cannot be done in normal play.
The philosophy I need the players to accept for this game is: we don't need to try to break or beat the game. By 20th level the game has already been beaten. The mechanics are already broken. No additional work necessary in that regard. So it is more than fighting 10 CR level creatures cranked up to 20 CR with random attributes. Can our merry band of characters speed run an 11th level dungeon with no rests or retreat? Can we defeat armies without killing the innocent rank and file soldiers? Can we steal a Balor King's molar without him noticing? Instead of focusing on the numbers, I would like to play a game where we use the numbers to support worldbuilding and storytelling. We will tell the unintelligible stories, play chess against Chuthulu using mortals as chess pieces, and throw charity galas for gods. I want to tell crazy stories that only being insanely powerful can tell. During the game expect all PCs to acquire levels, divine ranks using a semi-custom set of divine rules, mythic ranks, and powerful artifacts.

Game Details
  • Starting level is the lowest current PC's level -1 (level 20)
  • Starting Mythic Tier is the lowest current PC's -1 (MyT 0)
  • Starting Divine Rank is the lowest current PC's -1 (DvR 0)
  • Starting wealth per level 20 (880,000 gp)
  • Standard Game Creation Rules
  • Plus the Fated Children specific creation rules
  • I will be accepting one PC.
  • Do not make a character sheet until accepted.
  • No evil characters.
  • Only after acceptance, the character will go through a lottery of cosmic power wherein they will be randomly assigned an asymmetric boon of either 5 extra levels, demi-godhood, a mythic rank, or access to an artifact of their choice.

Application InstructionsFailure to follow directions here in the application phase will lead to a blanket disqualification. If I can't trust you to follow directions here in the application thread, I cannot trust you to comply with house rules, story elements, or game flow during play. I would prefer to keep a fairly hands off approach when it comes to sheet auditing and number pinching. If I have to micromanage you, then you're not right for this game. IE, I want to use your character sheet as a reference for DM posts, not as a way to verify legitimacy or keep you in check.

Make one post for your application. If you need to edit, update, or change your application do so in your original post. I will consider the first post you express interest as this post, not necessarily the first post you ever make. Making other posts are for questions, comments, and conversations.

Knick Knacks of Doom games take place in a custom universe. Memorization of the worldbuilding is not required, but familiarity will make things easier and reduce disconnects between expectations and gameplay. Fairly important posts to the game include: setting, calendar, cosmos, and most importantly my house rules and play style to be sure this game is one which is thematically appealing to you.

In your application include:
  • Name
  • Race
  • Mechanical Role / Purpose
  • Description
  • Backstory (It is usually the case where a backstory can be so exciting that past deeds eclipse gameplay, and at such high levels it's possible to write more than anyone can reasonably read. In this context I like backstories in bullet format, addressing important and formative parts of the character's history, both to illustrate who they are and how they got there but also as resources for further elaboration in game play as appropriate. Narratives are appreciated, but not required. Keep it under 2000 words if you can, though.)
  • Goals (backstories are important, but what drives your character forward? What do they want to achieve in life? Why do they strive for more power, or wealth, or adventure? What are some concepts which would be uniquely applicable to your character in regards to mythic trials, divine deeds, and the like. Again bullet point format is really useful here.
  • Your personal Pathfinder and RPGx experience.

Important points to keep in mind.
  • The purpose of the game is to explore parts of the rules, such as advanced character levels, which we rarely get an opportunity to play with. This is not a competition between you and me, or you and the rules. If the allure of the mechanical power, not the allure or powerful storytelling, is what draws you here this is not the fit for you.
  • This game is for collaborative storytellers. No loaner, socially dysfunctional PCs.
  • The party makeup is two full arcane types, one gish-y sword mage type, and one hit-them-hard lock down melee type.
  • The current episode has the party infiltrating a fire giant demon cult in a volcano temple with the intent of extracting the fire giant king's zealot daughter.
  • Unique doesn't always mean interesting. There are a number of criteria I will be simultaneously judging applications by such as if applications mesh with the world, the story, each other, the theme of the universe, etc. Grammatical correctness and composition style will also factor into final decisions.
TimelineApplications will stay open until March 6th (two weeks.)
Current Applicants List

Last edited by DraconigenaArma; Feb 20th, 2022 at 12:59 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 11:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7063
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
Yasir bin Estefan - Merchant Prince
right-aligned image

Name: Yasir bin Estefan

Race: Human

Class: Unchained Rogue (Phantom Thief)

Mechanical Role / Purpose: Skill User, Mercantile Resources, Non-magical Support/Debuffing, Through Healers Hands Feat and the Heal Skill UnlockNon-magical Healing.

Description: A physically plain-looking, if extravagantly dressed, Human from the sandy Dune-lands beyond the Stairway to Heaven. While his looks are plain, his wits are sharp, and few are the people who can beat him at the Negotiations Table! He is well into his middle years, so there are now ever increasing patches of grey in his formerly dark hair and beard, and after a few years of too much good living, he is starting to look a little portly (a victim of his own success perhaps).
Despite his former insistence that he has retired from Adventuring (which he said with a twinkle in his eye) he was almost overeager at the prospect of risking his plump hide in a desolate hole once again.
After the treatment his father received, he holds a personal hatred of all forms of Slavery, and because of this he has become a devoted Celestial ObedienceWorshipper of Lymnieris.

Backstory:
•Born into a wealthy family, which ran into debt after his father allowed the family business to fail while heartbroken from the death of his wife.
•Turned to Adventuring in order to restore (and eventually expand upon) his family's fortune, as well as to save his father from indentured servitude with the corrupt and greedy Caliph of Surrahkeen, Yasir's home city.
•Saved the Sacred Concubine of Lymnieris from slavery and helped her re-establish the Empyreal Lord's Sacred Shrine, earning him her and Lymnieris' gratitude.
•Engaged in a lengthy crusade against the Caliph (who was eventually revealed to be a Rakshasa), with the help of a band of thieves and Adventurers, who called themselves "The Golden Band", eventually overthrowing the Caliph, who they replaced with one of their number, an illegitimate Child of the Real Caliph (before he had been murdered and replaced by the Rakshasa).
•Used the profits from his Adventuring days to pay off his family's debt, release his father (who had been sold on to a foreign Merchant that wanted his own Pet wizard, but was now in debt himself), and establish a new family business, that was even larger than the original, with branches in most of the major cities.
•Established a Demiplane with his Wizard-father, with portal links to his various businesses throughout the disc (at least where magic works properly). The way throughout is guarded by various Golems created by his father, who stays there quite happily tinkering with whatever projects come his way because the elderly Estefan is approaching the end of his natural lifespan and the Demiplane is Timeless.

Goals: He has wealth, but never quite enough, the acquisition of yet more gold will interest him, as will the opportunity to curry political favour/influence, which he will try to use to put increasing amounts of pressure on the slave trade. His mortality, and that of his father, also concern him, and he will always find the lure of immortality appealing.
He's currently searching for Fire Opals (or some other rare component that are found in or around volcanoes) for one of his father's crafting projects. This is something of an excuse for him to go out on an adventure (he was getting a bit bored at home). He used his From his Celestial Obedience FeatGreater Polymorph Ability to turn into either a Fire or Earth Elemental. While there, he finds (or finds out about) the group of Adventurers and their mission. Seeing the opportunity to both scratch his itch for Adventure as well as garner favour with a powerfull faction (the PC's) who have political connections of their own, he will happily offer assistance.

Your personal Pathfinder and RPGx experience: I have played Pathfinder since the Beta Playtest came out (3.5 before that), I
joined RPGx about 2.5 years ago.

Last edited by triedtherest; Feb 23rd, 2022 at 05:46 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2022, 11:51 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
From reading the Game Creation Rules, I take it that the Phantom Thief Archetype and the Noble Scion Prestige Class are not allowed, is this the case?
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 09:27 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by triedtherest View Post
From reading the Game Creation Rules, I take it that the Phantom Thief Archetype and the Noble Scion Prestige Class are not allowed, is this the case?
Phantom Thief is a Paizo archetype and allowed. Noble Scion is an "other" prestige class and not allowed.
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 04:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14060
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Hey Draco,

What would be the expected posting rate?

Greetz,

BC
Old Feb 21st, 2022, 04:25 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
I'd love 2 or so a week, but the game averages about 1.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:42 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14060
Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser Battlechaser
Too bad, I’ll have to pass. My life is too busy at the moment.

Have fun

BC
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 05:52 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Pure Phantom Thief it is then.

My idea is for an Arabian-style Merchant Prince type Character, who had originally turned to Adventuring in order to restore (and eventually expanded) his family's fortune.

A couple of questions:

-Is the Leadership Feat allowed? (This is to gain some "behind-the-scenes" support and to represent his Mercantile Connections, rather than for him to walk around with a 2nd PC)
-Is there a map or any further information on the world itself, such as Countries, Cities, Factions, and/or any Settlements of note?
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 06:25 AM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
The leadership feat is allowed. Another character uses the feat to achieve a very similar end, cohorts and followers are used to seat the important positions within the kingdombuilder rules for the character's personal lands.

Much of the information you're looking for is in these threads. The majority of the fleshing out of the world is in the areas around Kingseat, the generic european medieval themed area where much of the campaigns in the world take place. However, cultures of almost every kind are represented in the campaign world, if their exact nature and location are not specified to give me and the players flexibility to do worldbuilding and storytelling organically in game. For instance, a very middle eastern themed desert region already exists on the opposite side of the mountain range from Kingseat, though specific city names and such are left open, for instance if you want to develop something for your backstory I can place it within game. In the same vein as I like to consider DnD (especially in play by post) collaborative storytelling, I leave the campaign world available for collaborative worldbuilding.
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 09:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the prompt response, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

Another thing I forgot to ask was, do you allow the Setting Up Shop Rules for the Profession Skill, as well as the Downtime rules?
Those, and the Cohort, would allow for a self-sustaining Downtime, without him actually being there (you said that actual Downtime would be few and far between, unless conscious effort was made to claim it).
Old Feb 22nd, 2022, 12:43 PM
The Original Dragon Man

Tools
User Statistics
Both Setting Up Shop and Downtime supplemental rules are fine to use, as the downtime and kingdom building have both been employed in the game as is. This particular campaign will have more downtime opportunities than other campaigns, as it is an episodic and there are more allowances for time to past between chapters, where my story driven campaigns tend to rest less. While there will be little downtime in each chapter, and while the start of some chapters may happen closer to the end of the previous chapter than others, on the whole this is probably the most suitable campaign I've run for someone who really wants to explore an expanded mercantile system in Pathfinder.