Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder > Strange Aeons
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 02-23-2017, 02:04 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 15698
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
So, let's keep talking.

Who is doing what in our group? For the most part, I'm knowledges and roguey stuff. A little B&E, a little sneaky sneak, a lot of 'I know stuff about that'. Also some psychic magic that I haven't specifically picked a direction for yet. Capable with flank assists and secondary damage but until I get up to 4th I'll be pretty unimpressive in combat. I am not, however, good at making words come out of my mouth pretty like.

Blackfyre, I figure we might have crossover since you get bonuses to knowledges for Monster Lore stuff. I could hit more of the not-monster-lore knowledges that tend to go unappreciated, as I have plenty of skill points coming my way.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:18 PM
Order of Truthwatchers

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4098
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
If/when we hit four, I plan on primarily eating things before they eat others. Until then I'll be a flanking buddy with battlefield control and limited healing utility. I'm taking Savant, so I can also function as baddie detector. Socially he couldn't talk his way out of a paper bag, so I hope you fine folks get that covered.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:23 PM
Rules Enforcer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
I'm sticking thin blades through things. And shooting guns when I can afford one, because that looks cool. That, mobility and my ruggedly handsome looks, is all I have going for me. I'll take diplomacy and bluff, so I can face if no one does it better.

The Player's Guide says the following:

Quote:
While the players don’t need to have expertise in research mechanics, it would be an excellent idea to have at least one party member with access to a number of Knowledge skills. The most useful among these are Knowledge (arcana), Knowledge (dungeoneering), Knowledge (history), Knowledge (nobility), Knowledge (planes), and Knowledge (religion).
Out of those, Swashies can only pick Nobility. But I won't be super at it, and should perhaps throw that point towards more cha-based abilities instead.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:26 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10764
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Currently I've gone for Arcana, Dungoneering and Religion. I have no issues with overlap, though.

I am going combat heavy, though if I have to be the main "tank", I guess I'll need to go for heavy armor proficiency after all. Wouldn't be that big a fan, though. If you're all going flanking buddy, we could talk teamwork feats, though.

Socially I am putting points in diplomacy, though my main focus will be intimidate. But to be the main talker, I'm not charismatic enough.
Old 02-23-2017, 02:37 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard PopCultureBard
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
I'm sticking thin blades through things. And shooting guns when I can afford one, because that looks cool. That, mobility and my ruggedly handsome looks, is all I have going for me. I'll take diplomacy and bluff, so I can face if no one does it better.

Out of those, Swashies can only pick Nobility. But I won't be super at it, and should perhaps throw that point towards more cha-based abilities instead.
Man, Swashbucklers are so cool. Are you picking up a gun archetype like Picaroon or Musketeer to give you gun stuff?

Since you seem to be the best we've got in terms of Charisma, I say put your points in that direction. I can easily grab Nobility, and it make sense for my thoughts on the character's origin. Hell, some of the less used knowledges are even available as background skills so I can make use of those points too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackfyre View Post
Currently I've gone for Arcana, Dungeoneering and Religion. I have no issues with overlap, though.

I am going combat heavy, though if I have to be the main "tank", I guess I'll need to go for heavy armor proficiency after all. Wouldn't be that big a fan, though. If you're all going flanking buddy, we could talk teamwork feats, though.

Socially I am putting points in diplomacy, though my main focus will be intimidate. But to be the main talker, I'm not charismatic enough.
I'd love to see Teamwork feats actually put into play by PCs. I know you get some for free as an Inquisitor, and can use them as if we had them, but I'd be down to pick one or two up along the way. My character is very cooperation focused.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 02-23-2017 at 02:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:06 PM
Rules Enforcer

Tools
User Statistics
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Going for full face then. Swashies get to demoralize as a swift action at lvl 3, so I'm throwing focus at intimidate too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PopCultureBard View Post
Man, Swashbucklers are so cool. Are you picking up a gun archetype like Picaroon or Musketeer to give you gun stuff?

Since you seem to be the best we've got in terms of Charisma, I say put your points in that direction. I can easily grab Nobility, and it make sense for my thoughts on the character's origin. Hell, some of the less used knowledges are even available as background skills so I can make use of those points too.
No. Both archetypes sacrifice too awesome stuff for too little return. Amateur Gunslinger gives me a single point of grit and a single deed - (quick clear, which I would have to sacrifice Dodging Panache to get from Musketeer). Grit and panache is two ways into same pool, so basically I get 1 extra use of any deed I have, and a means to make guns less prone to go boom in my hand.

I am thinking guns simply to have a way to react to ranged. And because they are awesome.

Quote:
I'd love to see Teamwork feats actually put into play by PCs. I know you get some for free as an Inquisitor, and can use them as if we had them, but I'd be down to pick one or two up along the way. My character is very cooperation focused.
It'd be cool to try it out. I've yet to pick teamwork feats for a character unless they were part of class abilities.
Old 02-23-2017, 03:19 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorsten View Post
No. Both archetypes sacrifice too awesome stuff for too little return. Amateur Gunslinger gives me a single point of grit and a single deed - (quick clear, which I would have to sacrifice Dodging Panache to get from Musketeer). Grit and panache is two ways into same pool, so basically I get 1 extra use of any deed I have, and a means to make guns less prone to go boom in my hand.

I am thinking guns simply to have a way to react to ranged. And because they are awesome.
You're not wrong, and neither of them lets you start with a gun so you wouldn't benefit from gun stuff for awhile anyways. I couldn't stack Steel Hound (which actually does give you a gun, oddly) with Psychic Detective but I also really wanted a pistol on this concept so I'm doing the Amateur Gunslinger thing as well. I always chafe at the lack of Dex to damage on non-gunslinger gun users but when I get Studied Combat at 4 I can pick up the Ranged Study feat at 5 to add 1/2 my level to damage with the pistol against targets I study, so that mitigates that problem somewhat on this character. It's a long term investment for a PbP game but a guy can dream.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 02-23-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 04:17 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52340
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
You're all so busy I see nothing I disagree with so far.
Old 02-23-2017, 07:40 PM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22271
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Wizard, so knowledge skills, he'll not be very charismatic at all.

I haven't decided on school yet and haven't come across any useful archetypes yet. I usually end up playing a conjurer for battlefield control but have also done abjurer a couple of times. Anything you guys recommend?
Old 02-23-2017, 08:10 PM
Man・Earth・Sky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52340
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
I have nothing to Conjurer, Transmuter, Abjurer, Evoker, Diviner, Necromancer, Illusionist, in that orderrecommend at all. Nothing at all

Do you lot want a dice-rolling thread or do you prefer to roll in your own posts? Also, I know about half of you like to use the old Eternity's End style of Fieldset+Image, and that's fine. Same with having stat blocks. I will only require them if people bully me, however.
Old 02-23-2017, 09:17 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedric View Post
Wizard, so knowledge skills, he'll not be very charismatic at all.

I haven't decided on school yet and haven't come across any useful archetypes yet. I usually end up playing a conjurer for battlefield control but have also done abjurer a couple of times. Anything you guys recommend?
Hmm. Just saying. Conjuration is always handy. I like Abjuration and Transmutation a lot more, personally, but I'm weird like that.

Last edited by PopCultureBard; 02-23-2017 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-23-2017, 10:07 PM
Order of Truthwatchers

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4098
Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach Icereach
Do we have anyone filling the scout role yet? I was planning on picking up Stealth via trait.
Old 02-23-2017, 11:47 PM
Captain F-in Magic

Tools
User Statistics
I will have some stealth, perception, and disable device alongside a decent dexterity. I have the skill points available to maintain a good score in all those, plus trapfinding via my class. Stealth is, however, awesome to have and if you want to join me in not being seen I welcome it.
Old 02-24-2017, 01:36 AM
Rules Enforcer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Starting Wealth is either Average for Class, can Roll (no rerolls), or can choose to take nothing; you may also take a Masterwork weapon or armor of your choosing or 300 GP worth of potions, scrolls, etc.
Am I right in understanding we get a free masterwork armor/weapon or 300gp worth of potions/scrolls besides our starting wealth? Or is it instead of our starting wealth?
Old 02-24-2017, 02:23 AM
Trial by stone!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 22271
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Quote:
Hmm. Just saying. Conjuration is always handy. I like Abjuration and Transmutation a lot more, personally, but I'm weird like that.
I found the Elder Mythos Scholar to be really underwhelming. Too much gimping in exchange to be a bit better when dealing with very specific beings.