RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder > Strange Aeons
twitter google facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #76  
Old 08-03-2017, 10:18 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 22271
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,275
left-aligned image

The mage kneels down in front of the gathered items, his hands finding a familiar if somewhat unremarkable piece of staff made from hickory that is perhaps a head shorter than himself, thin and straight. He examines it with interest before tucking it behind him and grabbing a sling-bag from underneath another heavier backpack "Yes, this belongs to me doesn't it?" he purrs to no one in particular as he stands up and starts rummaging through the bag, taking up two vials of liquid; one milky white, the other pale amber. He uncorks the vials and takes a quick sniff "Delightful...." he whispers as he tucks them into his belt. Next up is a bound leather book, it's cover deep red and cut with a single symbol resembling an "S". The mage raises an eyebrow as he opens the book and flips through the pages back and forth, his eyes resting on something written on the first page; a name he realizes is his own, yet not the one given to him at birth "Samaris, there you have it my dears, I appear to be called Samaris." he says with a wry smile.

After some more rummaging he comes up with a bottle, a little over half full of some kind of greenish liquid, this he unstops and takes a whiff "Mmmm, anise and fennel...." another whiff "....hmmm wormwood? Oh sweet Lords below this is Absinthe! Best not let it go to waste...." he takes a small sip, feeling the raw spirit burn down his throat calling forth a deep sigh from the mage. He hands the bottle to Coin with gesture to pass it around.

Again he starts rummaging, something is missing - of that he is certain and when he doesn't find it in the bag he goes back to the items lying on the ground, shuffling them back and forth until something finally catches his eye; a small case, bound in wood and tied to it are a couple of pouches and a slender item which the mage quickly reaches for "There it is." he purrs, holding the item in front of him as he examines it with a wide grin. It's a wand, thick as a thumb, nearly a foot long and carved from some kind of bone. It's smooth and slender, slightly curved with a very detailed knob at one end the size of an acorn "This is it, the one I've been missing...." he croaks in amusement, this was the missing link to his spells, his focus and here he stood waving the phallic wand in front of him, looking at it with deep affection, purring mischievously "Oh but I must be a banger at parties..."
Reply With Quote
  #77  
Old 08-09-2017, 09:50 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 10764
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,087
right-aligned image
In short order the other woman returned from exploring the room with a whole load of various items. Much like the others Victoria felt a bond with some of them, knew somehow that they were hers. Arms, armor, clothing, a backpack and a belt pouch. She stacked it all to the side, rummaging through the latter two, looking for more clues. Hints about her past. Her identity. Some manacles in the backpack elicited raised eyebrows, but didn’t really help. A leather band with a wooden, sun wreathed sword hanging from it was far more interesting. It felt good to have it… back. Yes, yes, it did. It appeared almost warm as she put the band around her neck.

The pouch contained one more item that seemed of a more personal nature. A slender, brightly gleaming, silvery ring. Looking closely at it she noticed an inscription on the inside: A. & V.. She felt as if she should know who A was, but the name wouldn’t come. Feeling a profound sadness over it, she pushed the ring onto her finger, turning it a few times absentmindedly before shaking herself out of the onsetting melancholy. This wasn’t the time for it. They were not out of this place yet.

Still, the heart didn’t always cooperate. Mechanically she started to put on clothes and armor - a blend of leather, light mail and plate protecting her chest, shoulders, lower arms and legs without hindering her movements too much, or being as heavy as a pure metal half plate. The armor was clearly well maintained, but not made by a master craftsman. Dagger, crossbow and a greatsword joined the ensemble and the warrior felt a little more complete than she had just moments ago. Judging by what she heard, the others felt much the same.

"Wait, Coin. Let me… see if I can do something about it. I feel that I should." Victoria stepped over to him and carefully placed a hand over the wound. She cast about for the right words, eventually settling on: "You have been wounded sorely. Yet still you stand, with fire in your eyes and valour in your heart. Let them think you beaten. You shall teach them otherwise, in the Inheritor’s name." A soft glow emanated from under under her hand and the wound stopped bleeding and started to close, though the flesh still looked tender and red.


 
Reply With Quote
  #78  
Old 08-23-2017, 05:34 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-03-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905


Coin felt the rejuvenating energy wash over his body and lessen his wounds. He grunted an acknowledgement to the one-eyed woman and rolled his shoulder to ease out any kinks in it from his unwanted sleep in the cell.

Feeling whole - or properly clothed at least - and a bit stronger, Coin started to search for a way out of their prison. It seemed one end was blocked by a cave in or collapsed roof, which left only way Coin could see. East.

Coin crouched down to place the tip of his fingers against the trail of blood and gore leading across the floor from that direction to find out how fresh it was. Without any clue about how long he had been out or how he had gotten here, it seemed prudent to exhibit caution and figure out more before heading out. Slick fresh blood on the floor would definitely mean something more was going on outside and that they'd do well to not draw too much attention to themselves.

__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.
Reply With Quote
  #79  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:02 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 10764
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,087
right-aligned image
It may not have fully healed Coins wounds, but for the moment it was enough. Together with their returned possessions it would carry them a long way, hopefully.

Victoria looked around once more, taking in their surroundings, eyes drifting over the bloody remains of their captor and fellow captive. Absentmindedly one hand toyed with the hilt of her sword while her thoughts wondered who he had been. An odd thought, really, considering that she couldn’t truly answer the question for herself. Still… "Shouldn’t there also be some of his things?" She nodded towards the dead man. "Maybe, well, maybe we can find some hint of who he was. Someone surely is looking for him." If her theory was true then such a trace would be wherever the other woman had found their own gear. Retrieving and lighting one of the torches from her pack the one-eyed woman walked towards the cave-in and around the corner, taking a look around for anything that might have belonged to the poor soul who had died before they had managed to break free.


 
Reply With Quote
  #80  
Old 08-28-2017, 10:36 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 22271
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,275
"Perhaps." Samaris says, securing his precious wand in his belt "He wasn't one of "us", that much I'm certain of. I remember each of you, well your faces anyway, but not him and judging from his words earlier it felt as if he'd been here a bit longer than us." he reaches for a torch of his own and lights it before following after the one-eyed woman, looking around the dark and dreary place, seeing nothing but shadows with traces of dried blood here and there he feels a shiver run down his spine "Where in the Nine are we and where is the nearest exit?"

 
Reply With Quote
  #81  
Old 09-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 52290
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,844
And soon, some of it starts to come back.

At least, what they can read from their own materials.

Along with the others, the red-headed woman goes through her things, finding a blade and better materials for this kind of horrid affair. Better tools for survival, certainly. But looking through it, she becomes more sullen, more distant. Unlike the others she does not proclaim remembrance of some unknown past. Indeed, she states nothing of the sort. Whatever is here, it is for her to keep to herself. And so she does.

As soon as they remember more about themselves, their names mainly, they begin to ponder more utterances. Why is it only their things that are obvious? Where are they? How fresh is the blood? Plenty of questions, and without anything pressing on them, plenty of time, or so it seems.

Coin puts his fingers on the blood, testing different parts of it. The darkened stains are darker for a reason: indeed, the freshness therein is, at the youngest, hours old, dried but flaky, enough to leave a slight discoloration in the light. It is certainly red, certainly blood more than likely, but the reiteration of layer upon layer gives Coin reason to pity whoever this belonged to: for it is a great many souls, at least numbering near the two digit points.

Elsewhere, Victoria looks for answers, first in the garbage. There, she finds one, a simple one: a shirt, on which reads "Linweigh" on the nametag. But there are a few others, as well. One reads Scaen, and the others are so stained with filth and blood that it's harder to read them. The names on the nametags are sewn in, directly, as to prevent removal. Beneath them is a set of identical initials: B.A.

Curious as to whether or not there is more, for there are more shirts than there are in-tact bodies but more bodyparts than even those shirts suggest, Victoria goes forth, followed by Samaris while the other red-headed woman sticks with Coin. Heading to the furnace, her first movement within is a crunch; indeed, any motion within to interact with the materials is a crunch. Burnt material. Almost all of it in tact, save for the white bits. She instantly recognizes them for what they are: bone. Burnt to a crisp, the shattered and charred bones break by hand or foot with the merest of touches. Beyond, she notes two things: the viol, and the light.

The viol is in nearly perfect condition, at least once the ash is wiped off, merely discarded within the furnace but never touched by flame. A parchment about the head of the viol reads "Auseil." It lacks a bow, but the strings are fine and the material is perfect.

The light above, however, comes from an unknown source. To get up there, someone of a smaller size than even she, or any of her companions, would need to climb up it.

Beyond that, the other red-head examines the door, noting the lock; comparing it to the key that the strange silver woman had held, it seems likely that this matches that door.
 
__________________
Returning to Life
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands
Reply With Quote
  #82  
Old 09-13-2017, 09:17 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 10764
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,087
right-aligned image
Linweigh, Scaen. Neither of those names meant anything to Victoria. It would have been odd if they had, but as she had said earlier, this was more about maybe having an opportunity to let someone know at a later time. She removed both of the name tags from the shirts and put them into one of her belt pouches. Maybe it would be for nothing, but maybe not. The same pretty much held true for the viol, too. In this case, however, she took the instrument itself. A hard look lay on her face as she regarded the other contents of the furnace. How many victims had this place claimed before them? How many had succumbed to the psychotic nurse? And why? She forced herself to turn away from the grisly remains. The nurse was dead and there was nothing to be done that would bring the dead back to live.

Returning to Coin and the other woman, she showed them the instrument. "Apart from some name tags, this is pretty much the only thing of consequence to still be in one piece. There were some name tags: Linweigh, Scaen and Auseil." She shrugged. "Doesn’t mean anything to me, though." A little belatedly it gave her an idea, though. She checked the clothing that she had worn before reclaiming her own things. Surely there would be a tag, too? Maybe, for some of them, it might help? And, she thought, maybe the dead guy on the table had a tag as well.

"All of them have the initials B.A. on them. It doesn’t fit the name of that doctor that the nurse mentioned, though. Maybe it’s the name of this place?" She looked from one to the other to see if they might have an idea about it. "And I have a single piece of good - or at least useful - news: it’s daytime outside. At least I assume that the chimney of the furnace leads outside. It’s too small to use it to get out, though." Victoria looked at the closed door. "Is it locked? Do we have a key for it?"


 
Reply With Quote
  #83  
Old 09-15-2017, 02:59 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-03-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Coin looked at his fingers and then carefully brushed the blood away on his pants.

"A lot of people died here". It was perhaps a pretty obvious statement, but at this point, Coin was talking just to fill the silence. The darkness of this place felt like it would only grow deeper if not kept at bay with idle banter.

Moving closer to their only real exit available, Coin drew his rapier in a single fluid motion and took position next to the door.
"Lets get that door open then - see about moving out from here."


 
__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.

Last edited by Thorsten; 09-15-2017 at 03:01 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #84  
Old 09-15-2017, 06:15 AM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 22271
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,275
left-aligned image

Samaris glances at the initials on the shirts and shrugs "The "A" in the initials most likely stands for Asylum, if that helps arouse a memory or two about where we might be. The "B" could be anything really." he sighs and moves for the door "Yes, a lot of people did die here my dear and I think we will soon find out our beloved Nurse Scaen wasn't the only one responsible. We best prepare for that, yes?" with that he draws his wand, utters a few soft words that sound mostly gibberish and winks at Coin "There, much better."

 
Reply With Quote
  #85  
Old 09-19-2017, 08:12 AM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 10764
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,087
"Aye, we probably will." Victoria agreed with Samaris about his assessment about more trouble standing between them and their way out of this place. Without knowing how far off that might be, though, she did not think as if she had any magical means to help right now and simply settled for stowing away the viol and readying her crossbow. She felt like she was more comfortable with the sword, but if there turned out to be a threat behind the door at the far end of a corridor, a bolt would be of more use.
Reply With Quote
  #86  
Old 09-20-2017, 01:31 PM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 52290
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,844
right-aligned image
"Right here," notes their previously quiet companion. "I've been testing the keys on the ring, one of them fits this door. I'll probably keep them around for a bit." Placing the gnarled key in the slot, the girl twists it. "Name's Juniper, by the way." She smiles to everyone behind her, and opens the door.

The smell is instantly overwhelming, and the light streaming through reveals why.

A broad chute extends diagonally through one of this cellar’s half-crumbled stone walls. Beneath it lies heaped more than a dozen mutilated Humanoid bodies. Nearby, a flight of rickety, wooden steps climbs toward the high ceiling—an escape none of the room’s current occupants seem capable of employing. The smell of rot and decay in the room is nearly overwhelming, and the buzz of flies hangs in the air. Ahead of them, Juniper holds her breath but looks in need of taking a deep one, looking onward. "Gods in heaven...."

She moves around so everyone can see the piles of deposited Humanoid bodies.

"I want to be free of this place as quickly as we can be." She motions to the stairs, though the chute interests her.
 
__________________
Returning to Life
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands

Last edited by Sassafrass; 09-20-2017 at 01:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #87  
Old 09-21-2017, 01:15 PM
Blackfyre's Avatar
Blackfyre Blackfyre is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 10764
Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre Blackfyre
Posts: 3,087
right-aligned image
"Oh sweet, merciful gods!" Victoria gasped as she beheld what lay beyond the door. In that moment she would have vastly preferred any number of enemies lying in wait for them. The warrior had grown pale at the sight of the many dead bodies and she swallowed hard to keep what contents her stomach might hold in it. Stepping into the room she wondered once more who was running this place. And why. It seemed unimaginable that anyone would be up to this kind of depravity - but her eyes didn’t lie. They hadn’t when they were still in their cells and they didn’t now.

"I agree. And I would very much like to see this place burn merrily while we walk away from it." Flames weren’t called cleansing for nothing. True to her words she didn’t care too much about the chute, but instead moved towards the stairs
Dice perception:
1d20+6 (11)+6 Total = 17
listening for any sounds from above that might indicated that they were not alone or, worse, that anyone had noticed them.
Reply With Quote
  #88  
Old 09-22-2017, 04:50 AM
Thorsten's Avatar
Thorsten Thorsten is offline
Rules Enforcer
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-03-2019
RPXP: 26226
Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten Thorsten
Posts: 6,905

Coin stared at the mound of corpses. Just what the heck was this place? An asylum the man called Samaris had offered, a place of healing and care - but certainly the was no cure for the madness that seemed to have grabbed this place.

Moving to the right, Coin made a direct beeline for the stairs right behind Red. He just wanted outside Wanted to see the sun and confirm that it was actually still in the sky above, and hadn't been transformed into some hideous nightmarish mockery of itself too.

"Let's get out of here," he remarked,
Dice Perception:
1d20+3 (8)+3 Total = 11
glancing at the rickety stairs with distrust before slowly and carefully beginning to make his way up them

__________________
Going through a rough patch in my life. Forgive me if I forget a post.
Father of a proud toddler. Expect the next 18+ years to be erratic and/or chaotic.
Reply With Quote
  #89  
Old 09-23-2017, 07:23 PM
Cedric's Avatar
Cedric Cedric is offline
Trial by stone!
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-19-2019
RPXP: 22271
Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric Cedric
Posts: 5,275
Last in line he falters at the doors leading into the room, his skin turning a shade paler at the sight ahead. The rotting smell forces him to cover his mouth and nose with his sleeve while he tries his best to avert his eyes away from the pile as he shadows Coin towards the stairs.

Much like the others he has no interest in staying in this room a second longer than needed, what he needs is to get out with all due haste.
Reply With Quote
  #90  
Old 09-24-2017, 11:13 AM
Sassafrass's Avatar
Sassafrass Sassafrass is offline
Man・Earth・Sky
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 52290
Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass Sassafrass
Posts: 16,844
They don't spend any time looking through the naked bodies, and why would they? Dead as they are, striped of their clothes, why would anything be left? Heading up the stairs, there is no need to use a key, and onward they go. With her vision better in the dark than her Human companions, Juniper leads onward, into the new room. The new room is dissheveled and empty of signs of life, a crack running down the wall, by which through stray light creaks through. There is a door to the south, inviting them onward, out the door, with light streaming through. A yellow mist creeps through, quickly dissipating.
left-aligned image
... a yellow fog, fairly light here, dances about....


Trampled flowerbeds lie smeared and squashed across this muddy courtyard. On all sides, stark gray walls climb toward a narrow gap of sunless sky. Above, a yellow stormcloud rolls, close to the ground, and warm rain falls, leaving a strange sensation on the skin as it does so. The mud in this place is strangely dissheveled, and looking about the courtyard, the walls that cut it off from anywhere else are cracked. Juniper, moving a little beyond the door, notes that there was a shed beyond, but it has been destroyed by way of a fallen wall, further north, that does not allow for safe passage; indeed, it was an exterior wall, too thick to pass into the building that way. Conveniently, there is a door right beside the one they came through, inviting them inside in a different section.

All throughout all of this, a yellow fog, fairly light here, dances about, at their feet and along the walls, obscuring but not covering everything they see. There is a strange noise, almost distant, like the sound of a churning water wheel, audible only when the thunder from above does not sound too loudly. And behind it, another sound, like something flapping in the breeze.

"I was hoping for some clarity by coming up here, but now I'm even more confounded."
 
__________________
Returning to Life
Carrion Crown | Tyranny of Dragons
Coming Soon: Planescape: Tales from the Outlands

Last edited by Sassafrass; 09-24-2017 at 11:14 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:20 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB