RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:06 AM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1066
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Places to share images

Still a bit new here, so I apologize if this is already covered in depth somewhere, I haven't ran across it yet... but I'm about 99.9% sure someone would have asked this before.

I see that there is a way to add attachments to a post, and I suppose that is one way to share a map, or a character image, or whatever... but is there online repositories that are better suited and won't take up server space from RPGX?

I used to use this one place, but it's been so long that I forgot where it was, and I'd be surprised if they even still had my account and files.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 10:37 AM
A legend in my spare time
Artist in Residence

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7022
GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror GallupsMirror
There are lots of options for image hosting out there. I used Dropbox until they nixed the service and broke the links to hundreds of maps and other images I used in my games. Now I pay 4 bucks per month for my own domain and website and host the images there, so the free services can't pull the plug anymore.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 11:08 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23528
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
As you mentioned, you can always upload things as an attachment, and then edit your post to include an image that points to that attachment URL. An example can be seen here, in ruffdove's DM post for a starfinder game. (Map is inside a spoilerbutton, but also attached.)

However, I will often use imgur to upload an image. I think others have used photobucket in the past, but have run into some technical issues with it recently.
Old Oct 24th, 2021, 08:52 PM
The little chicks go peep

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 18479
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
For games I run, I often use postimages, which is handy for some basic organisation and automatic resizing on upload, but note that they're cranky about VPN usage for some reason.

RyuutamaWanderhome [OPEN RECRUITMENT]
Old Oct 25th, 2021, 08:09 AM
Here to help

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 32141
Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry Retry
Generally imgur if I resize an image from photoresizer, since it has a built-in "save online" feature that gives me a url.
Otherwise I'll save it into a private channel on one of my discord servers and open it in browser for the url.
Old Oct 26th, 2021, 09:01 AM
Imaginary Friend

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1066
ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining ImpInTraining
Imageshack

I used to use ImageShack, I remembered thanks to GallupsMirror. It was great - while I used it. However policy changes made back in 2016 apparently prevent any images being sent to other websites unless you pay the $3/Month fee for the premium account. All the images I had on there have disappeared, probably deleted because I hadn't logged on in so long. No hard feelings there... but I don't think I want to pay $36/year to host images for me. I'd rather give that money to RPGX.

So I'll give imgur a run for a while and see how it goes. Thanks everyone for your input.
Old Oct 27th, 2021, 11:27 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10893
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Yeah, I use imgur. I like being able to quickly resize/edit images online without needing to download or save the image first. Copy image location and then ctrl+v it right into my imgur images.

It's not the first site I've used, since they always go to crap after awhile (Photobucket...), but it's working for the time being.

Last edited by Starflier; Oct 27th, 2021 at 11:27 PM.
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 10:18 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Wait, does imgur allow you to automatically resize an image??
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 06:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10893
Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier Starflier
Crop, resize, or rotate your uploaded images.

Last edited by Starflier; Oct 28th, 2021 at 06:41 PM.
Old Oct 28th, 2021, 08:10 PM
A warm fuzzy goonie

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26285
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
Imgur is the truth. Not only can you crop and resize right there you can also copy your BB code with one click.
Old Oct 29th, 2021, 10:16 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
Ye gods. I have not been using imgur to its fullest potential...
Old Jun 19th, 2022, 09:52 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
ultracheng ultracheng
Question : If I shared a pic in a private group on Facebook where only members can access the group page & see the pic, can people see my attached pic here if they cannot access that FB group?
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:13 AM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
I think that would be the case, yes. You could post one here and I'll let you know if I can see it or not! But my guess is that it will not be visible.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 12:09 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
ultracheng ultracheng
Thx. Pls check if you can see my pic below.

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 12:40 PM
Weepin-Belle

Tools
User Statistics
Yep, I can see that picture! My intuitions are all wrong! Foiled by Zuckerberg again!