RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 11:33 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5865
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Update:

Tentative date for final applications and voting in new players: June 10th.

Until then competing applications for the 2 available slots are allowed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 09:07 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
The "free starting weapon" is this:

Quote:
At 1st level, a gunslinger gains one of the following firearms of her choice: blunderbuss, musket, or pistol. Her starting weapon is battered, and only she knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat her gun as if it had the broken condition. If the weapon already has the broken condition, it does not work at all for anyone else trying to use it. This starting weapon can only be sold for scrap (itís worth 4d10 gp when sold). The gunslinger also gains Gunsmithing as a bonus feat.
Old Jun 2nd, 2020, 11:58 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Firearms are here: https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/

Selling your starter weapon nets you just 22gp (average scrap prices.) In the original post at the start of this thread I mention cost discounts for a "guns everywhere" environment.

Firearms: Reference here. https://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment/weapons/firearms/ Gradually transitioning toward Guns Everywhere. Early firearms are 10% of listed prices and available broadly; advanced firearms are 50% of listed prices and available in advanced nations but hard to find on the frontiers or less developed nations. Firearms are Martial Weapons, not exotic.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Jun 3rd, 2020 at 12:00 AM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 12:21 AM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13904
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Ekryzor, the Cackling Hermit
right-aligned image
Ekryzor

Name: Ekryzor (The Cackling Hermit)
Race: Human
Class: Druid (Restorer Archetype) 2 / Witch (Herb Witch) 1

Physical Appearance: It is hard to gauge Ekryzor’s exact age by looking at him, but he is unmistakably old … very old. When walking, he leans heavily on a gnarled wooden staff to support his own equally gnarled limbs. He may have once been tall in his youth, but it is impossible to tell from his bent back. His flesh appears to hangs loosely on his sharp and angular skeleton as any muscle that once filled out his frame has long since withered and shriveled up. Years of exposure in the wilderness have left him with a swarthy and wrinkled complexion, mottled with an array of darker spots.

His face is gaunt, with sharp cheekbones framing a long hooked nose. A wild mane of silver hair surrounds his head, joining up with a wild, scraggly beard that hangs low enough that it can almost be tucked into his belt. In the middle of this face sit a pair of piercing grey eyes that twinkle with mischievous glint that give evidence that his mind remains as sharp as ever, despite the wizening of his body.

Personality: Ekryzor has always existed on the fringes of society, never fully comfortable interacting in social settings, seen by others as eccentric at best, or absolutely insane at worst. He claims to hear the voices of nature speaking directly to him, or perhaps the old gods whose names are lost to history. Either way, he often has difficulty distinguishing between the voices of other mortals around him and the spirits that commune with him, so he finds it easier to seclude himself, where he can calm the cacophony that whirls about him and where he can find focus.

Ekryzor has a rather unique and eccentric world view. He is a reincarnated Druid who has been reborn many times over. He does the will of the Greening, which is the collective spirit of all Life in the universe, so he has an uncommon view on life and death. As he would say, “All life comes from the Greening, and all life returns to the Greening. Everything that lives dies. Even Ekryzor has died. Many times Ekryzor’s flesh has grown weak, his bones grown brittle. Ekryzor has laid his head down, ready for the forever-sleep to come to him. But ‘NO!!’ shouts the Greening ’We are not finished with you. There is much yet to be done. Yes, much to be done. Now arise Ekryzor!’ And so ... Ekryzor rises. Flesh is new, bones are new, but Ekryzor? Hmmmmmmmn?” the ancient hermit taps a bony finger against his temple, ”Ekryzor is always Ekryzor.”

Just how many lives Ekryzor has lived is something of a mystery, as even he has trouble remembering. At times he claims that he has lived in some form for billions of years - nearly as long as the Greening itself has existed. He views the world in terms of geological time. The loss of a single life is all part of nature and is very little consequence in the grand scheme of things. Philosophically, he is far more concerned with much larger events which threaten the balance of the natural order.

That being said, he is not some sort of emotionless, detached watcher. He still enjoys the little things in life. The value he places on others is based on whether or not his connection to them brings him amusement, but he does not see the need to upset the balance of nature over a single life unless it is someone he likes.

Ekryzor’s multiple lifetimes of experience have given him incredible insight and the ability to perceive patterns that others are blind too. This explains his uncanny Wisdom. However, the many cycles of death and rebirth have taken their toll on Ekryzor’s mind as well. His behavior can seem erratic and unpredictable, as the wisdom of the immortal Druid does not always make sense to others. His memory is also sometimes clouded, but perhaps he can be forgiven if, with literally eons-worth of memories to sift through, the details can occasionally get mixed up.
RP Sample”There, there luv.” the rough voice of the old hermit cracked through the air as he gently patted the neck of the massive beast beside him. Clearly the creature was disturbed by the foul stench of charred flesh that assaulted its senses. ”You have nothing to fear. Here there was death, true, but he seems to have passed through already. He has returned lifeforce to the Greening. Returned many he has, this day.”

The old hermit’s voice was calm as he impassively surveyed the the devastation that remained where the halfling village had once sat. He viewed it all with relative aplomb, compared to his compatriots. Death did not trouble him. He had seen it many times over. All life must come to an end after all. That was the way of the Greening. Death on this scale was undesirable to be certain. It might tip the balance slightly, but not so much that it would not correct itself. In the wild druid’s mind, there was certainly no need to vow revenge as his companions seemed so eager to do. Killing others would not bring the little folk back. The very idea was counterproductive, to be sure.

Instead, he found his mind occupied by thoughts of stew. The little folk made a fine stew. The main reason Ekryzor had agreed to come to come along on this excursion today was to partake of the little folks’ stew. A fine stew was an art. Many thought they could make stew, but when they did, feh! It was bland, all flavor sucked out, or it was blended mush, like the regurgitated meal served up to baby birds by their mothers. The little folk though, now they made a fine stew. Ekryzor had always meant to ask them for the recipe, but never remembered until the sky-door was already closing behind him as he left. Now, their art was gone. He might never learn the secrets of the fine stew. Now that was something worth mourning.

The old hermit was brought out of his internal reverie the Captain cried out, "We need to know what happened here. Everyone, help me find someone that could have seen something before they died. A guard, a scout, anyone that looked like they died fighting."

”Yes, yes indeed!” Ekryzor agreed quickly and emphatically, ”And anyone who looks like they may have been a cook!”

Prudence Goodfellow
right-aligned image
Name: Prudence Goodfellow
Rance: Human
Class: Investigator (Empiricist)
Alignment: Lawful Good

Physical Appearance: Prudence is petite and of a slight build. She keeps her mousy brown hair short-cropped primarily to keep it from getting in the way when she is mixing chemicals. She dresses simply and functionally. She was brought up with a strict sense of modesty and propriety, so you will never see her galavanting around in some of those ridiculously impractical getups that seem to be so common among other adventurers of the fairer sex. Instead she typically wears a floor-length woolen skirt, a high necked blouse, a short frock coat, and sturdy leather work boots. Everything about her appearance is selected for its practicality, which is why she eschews a bustle and you shall never find her in a pair of heels (bloody things serve no godly purpose for a lady who plans on doing anything other than sitting about for men to ogle).
Place of Origin/Background: Prudence was born in the heart of Azerka (planning to take the Metropolitan Regional Feat), the daughter of a high-ranking church elder, with a strict and conservative upbringing. Prudence’s father insisted that she receive the best education that his wealth and position could afford, and so Prudence was sent to university. There she developed an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. She was drawn to the physical sciences, taking a particular interest in chemistry and physics. While her father was warned that the universities were often a breeding ground for atheists, rather than challenge her beliefs, Prudence’s studies only served to affirm her faith in the divine design of the one true god of the Consensus, for how could the chaotic rabble of the polytheistic powers ever claim responsibility for creating such an exquisite and logical system of elegance and symmetry.
Personality: There are two things about which Prudence is deeply passionate: her faith (plan to take all of the Consensus Oaths, even if the benefits of some are delayed until higher levels) and her science. As a lady of science, she believes that science is the light that illuminates the natural world and allows people to understand, order, and control the world around them. Magic, on the other hand, is chaos. Magic is illogical. Magic disrupts technology. And therefore magic is dangerous. Despite this adamant belief, she does not see herself as an anti-magic zealot. This is because she firmly believes in the doctrine of hating the sin, not the sinner (or in this case hating the magic, not the magic-user). After all, it is not these poor people’s fault that they have been duped into believing that their deviant lifestyles are right and natural. It is her responsibility, however, to educate them on the error of their ways and, with any luck, save them from themselves.

Religion: Consensus

Feats: Interested in the Metropolitan and the Gun-Proud regional feats, as well as the Cybernetic Brain Enhancement (if I can afford it). Also looking into the idea of Consensus Declarations, but still working out the details of that one.
Drawbacks: Naive. Despite her extensive learning, Prudence can be a relatively poor judge of character and easily duped. This stems from her belief that all people, at the heart, are basically good people. Some are just misguided by the corrupt systems that manipulate them
Traits: Not sure yet

RP Sample:

Last edited by rhaiber; Jun 7th, 2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old Jun 3rd, 2020, 10:37 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I added a table to the original post to track applicants.

Right now we have 2 candidates competing for the same healer slot, and no one going for the other open slot (a technologist or anti-magic type). (Hyregoth had been interested but withdrew.)

So, one or more new applications are welcome. I'll have the current players vote on who joins in about a week. Thanks for your interest and patience.

My initial feedback on characters is on their broad concept -- do class & race fit the world, etc. If a character is actually accepted I may ask for further adjustments for example in the background/history text to better fit in.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Jun 3rd, 2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 10:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Pinging this, as we have 2 healer applicants but no one aiming for the technologist slot.

Or if no one is going for technologist role I'll take any quality application which qualifies according to the build rules.

---

There had been a question earlier about how firearms get upgraded. As weapons, they get upgraded just like any other pathfinder weapon. +300gp to make masterwork, then 2000gp * (enhancements squared). Early firearms are 10% listed price, advanced firearms are 50% listed price, "modern" firearms exist but are not available for sale (like rare magic items). The same but even more for futuristic firearms ("set phasers on stun.").

So a +1 enchanted Dragoon Musket is 2000*10% + 300 + 2000 = 2500gp, just in range for a 3rd level character to start with.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Jun 5th, 2020 at 10:29 AM.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 06:07 PM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24691
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
If Dennis isn't chosen as the healer role, can I put forward a technologist character as well?

On break for now.
Have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 06:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14487
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Both are good apps, and I strongly encourage ppl to apply as the GM is awesome
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 07:19 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@pianoman90 -- In most application threads I see DMs deny multiple applications by a single player.

I'll give you two choices: 1) withdraw one and only put forward the other, or 2) have both compete for votes. #2 puts you at risk of not getting enough votes to join when we do the election on June 10 since you are competing with yourself. #2 is only a risk if the game gets more applications in the next 5 days. I'll leave it up to you.
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 09:33 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Quote:
Originally Posted by pianoman90 View Post
If Dennis isn't chosen as the healer role, can I put forward a technologist character as well?
Funny, I was just asking Cat about the same thing myself. Since right now we're the two people applying for the same healer role, it would be a shame if one of us missed out on the opportunity to be in the game. What say we both put up our technologist options as well, then if no one else puts something up, the group can vote on which of us should play the healer and which one play the techie?
Old Jun 5th, 2020, 09:46 PM

Tools
User Statistics
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
I would be happy with that! But perhaps we can work on them elsewhere for now and hold off for a few more days to see if anything else comes along.

On break for now.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 02:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Three days until voting for new entrants, if anyone else wants to pitch their hat into the ring.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 04:34 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
Ok, I finished fleshing out my alternate app and now I can't decide which one I like better

Anyway I went ahead and added her to my original post. I guess I'll leave it up to you guys to vote on who makes a better addition to your party.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 07:45 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Good that you like the products of your creativity, rhaiber. :-). We'll have the people in the game vote for them shortly.
Old Jun 7th, 2020, 09:32 PM

Tools
User Statistics
I threw up a skeleton idea for a technologist character too. I will develop it over the next couple of days, but Outplay sideswiped my creative juices!

On break for now.