Game Thread Dark Legacy of Evard - Page 48 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 4e > Homebrew: A-D > Dark Legacy of Evard
twitter facebook
0 4 8 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #706  
Old 07-02-2019, 02:41 AM
kanly's Avatar
kanly kanly is offline
Wayward Zephyr
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 3303
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Posts: 3,596
Katha wasn't sure if the spirits of their absent allies had been summoned by her completion of the "Ritual of the Ancients" or by the thinning of the walls between the world of the living and the lands of the dead. Some of them she had only met briefly and some not at all, but they were welcome regardless. When they were banished all to soon by the necrotic power of the mad wizard it was deeply disheartening but her stoic dwarven nature would not allow her to consider fleeing into the dark of the night. For the good of all, this foul spirit needed to be put down. While she wasn't sure that her friends and her were up to that great task, there was no one else here to do it so they had to try. But, it was hard to concentrate on the task at hand when there were all of these Dark Ones and Shadow Beasts roaming the battle field. So, sword in hand, she turned her attention toward the Dark One nearest her and said, "Ah warned ya ta flee this battle, but now ya'll die here with none to mourn ya." before bringing her glowing blade crashing down on its pale flesh. The hiss of white hot metal searing away flesh is the only noise that it adds to Vontairn's screams.
Once that threat is past, she rushes along the balcony railing toward the stair case down to the first level, but realizes that the route will take her far to long and her friends will likely be beyond her help by the time that she makes it there, so a madcap plan flashes into her head. Before she can pause to consider the lunacy of her plan her hand grips tightly to the railing and she heaves herself over it onto the one remaining upright bookcase, planning to ride it down to the floor.



OOC
Dice Word of Diminishment Vs. SB3:
1d20+10sch17 (12)+10 Total = 22
→ 1d8+6g (8)+6 Total = 14

Katha has +1 to all damage and converts all damage to fire and radiant type
Dice Athletics check to leap onto the bookcase:
1d20+10 (17)+10 Total = 27




 

 

 

Last edited by kanly; 07-02-2019 at 05:49 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #707  
Old 07-03-2019, 12:57 AM
Llamacorns's Avatar
Llamacorns Llamacorns is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 153
Llamacorns Llamacorns
Posts: 100
Damilola has fled from the main battle and up the stairs hoping she may finally be able to end this but as she leaves the battle she realizes she is also leaving her friends at the mage's mercy, despite katha's assurances that she and gogur will be able to hold him off.

With these thoughts she begins to doubt herself, her mind feels shattered and disorganized and the pain of this battle begins to sink in leaving her breathing shallow and her body aching. But this weariness vanishes as she rushes through one of the spirits that have appeared. Of course she doesn't even notice the young werewolf; too absorbed in finding the best place to continue reading so she might finally stop Vontairn.

She leans against the pillar and looks away from the journal only to find another apparition there. Not exactly comforting.

But as the sword mage directs her in the book and then rushes into battle against Vontairn she relaxes knowing these spirits will do all they can to protect her friends, and she is able to collect her thoughts and channel every ounce of belief and power she has left into this journal, knowing that the mage's bone-chilling scream means her work is nearly finished!

Dice Religion to continue the ritual:
1d20+7 (10)+7 Total = 17

Last edited by Llamacorns; 07-03-2019 at 01:00 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #708  
Old 07-16-2019, 08:03 AM
Duxus's Avatar
Duxus Duxus is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 944
Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus
Posts: 1,469
Even though young deva does not know the language, he feels an understanding in her core. He cannot translate the phrases but if he can transfer feelings you might be able to understand the ritual as well. It is a complex process, as it is not a prepared ritual per se. The journal has Nathaire's ritual and only in bits and pieces. Because even he didn't know what he was doing. It is well mixed with Evard's curse and Vontarin's ever-present influence. So it will be minimal to say: reversing it is a pain in the butt.

Ana harrani sa alaktasa la tarat! Sarrat Irkalli ati me peta babka. GIDIM XUL! BARRA!

As Damilola recites these final words, time slows down to a halt!..

Dust and debris flying around hover in the air creating a fog-like visual. Books from the shelves, which caught fire from the radiant -but still warm- flames, continue to burn; as Katha float slowly in the air towards the first floor.
It is a rare sight to be seen though. The books burn with flames which are so white, they seem to be the purest even from the most core part of the biggest anvil. But they have a black tint, and they shed light. On the contrary, they seem to shed darkness around them. And even more, as the pages burn down it seems words, letters seem to fly out of the pages.
Gogur's axe cut through the air with a speed so slow, it seems as it is not moving. Dark -nearly purple- blood from the creature create pollock-like patterns all around.

Then you start to hear it again. The scream. Like paper or fabric shredding. A soul getting ripped apart from a body. The possessed mage, Nathaire or maybe the ghostly remnant of Vontarinís soul shrieks in agony. As the possessed mage -or to be precise Nathaireís- body falls, the dark mist suddenly streams out of his eyes, ears, and mouth, taking on a twisted humanoid shape. An old man in grey hues like the whole world is only in black and white. Then his body breaks apart into tatters of mist, the which flit into the air. The strange orb at the wizardís belt flashes with a sinister purple light. The misty figure lets out a howl of rage, and it is then drawn instantly into the purple orb. It seems the orb has trapped Vontarinís ghost.

Katha's feet touch the ground and dust rises. Nobody has walked on these grounds for a long time.
Gogur expected his axe to hit the column involuntarily spins in his space, as there is no more a column.
Damilola feels the cool breeze on his skin, there is no wall behind her.

You are once again standing in Saint Avarthil Monastery in Material plane.
The unnatural dread brooding over you abruptly relaxes. You can feel life and color returning to the world around you. The curse entrapping Duponde is broken. For the first time in days, you feel different. Chill, dread, and gloom that had wrapped all around you have vanished.

OOCWell done! You have successfully finished the encounter. You can level up if you like.
Reply With Quote
  #709  
Old 07-17-2019, 05:22 PM
kanly's Avatar
kanly kanly is offline
Wayward Zephyr
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 3303
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Posts: 3,596
When her feet strike the dusty ground, Katha lets out a bit of an involuntary grunt as she swings around, expecting to have to finish off the Dusk Beast that had been threatening Gogur. However, the sudden change in atmosphere did go unnoticed by the runepriestess. Immeadiately, her suspicions were roused and she warily looked around herself in disbelief. Is this some sort of trick? Vontairn was a necromancer not an illusionist, wasn't he? He couldn't create an illusion this good, could he?
Did... WE...JUST...WIN!!!
With a whoop, Katha charges across the barren floor to where Damilola is gaping about her like a fish out of water. Grabbing the taller woman in a crushing embrace she clumsily dances them about for a moment before bodily tossing Damilola in the air and catching her again! "Ya did it! It were all depending on ya an' ya did it! Ya pulled through just like a champ ya did!" Then she was charging over to Gogur, both laughing and crying at the same time. "They're safe now. My brother an' sister are safe from that madman an' his curse. Ya helped save them an' so my family an' clan owe ya a debt of gratitude, Gogur Steelhammer. Without ya, the tall girl would have been readin' that book from inside the belly of one of those dusk beasts an' we would never have gotten here." In her joy, she dances him around a little to, though it is hard to tell if the color in her cheeks as she does so is blushing or just from all of the sudden exertion. But then she was off again, this time searching through the rubble and behind the remnants of walls as she mutters to herself, "Where is he? He's not getting off that easily. I saw the spirit get sucked into that purple ball. Where is it?"


OOC
Dice Perception roll to find Nathaire's body and/or the Orb:
1d20+11 (1)+11 Total = 12

Ouch! Blind as the proverbial Bat.



 

 

 

Last edited by kanly; 07-17-2019 at 06:43 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #710  
Old 07-18-2019, 07:30 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 367
ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 1,986
As his blade finds nothing more than air, Gogur yells out, "WHAT MANNER OF TRICKERY IS THIS?" as he continues to move in a circle with his great axe ready to strike at their remaining foes. As the sight of Nathaire's body falling to the floor and Vontarin’s ghost getting sucked into a purple ball cuts through his rage, Gogur slowly lowers his axe and looks around dumbfounded.

Watching Katha race across the floor and embrace Damilola a rather large smile starts to form on Gogur's face. "We won!" he says as he stands a bit taller and puffs his chest out. But cringes afterwards as the wounds received from the beasts are felt. As Katha turns her attentions towards him, "No gratitude necessary Katha. I did what any dwarf would do for a fellow dwarf. It has been my pleasure and honor to have fought side by side with you and helping to save your family is the icing on the cake. That goes for you too Damiloala. We may not have meet that long ago but you have proven yourself in battle and if not for you being able to decipher and read that book we might not be.........." is all he gets out before Katha takes the lead and dances Gogur about. Stopping as abruptly as it started, Gogur feels something on his cheeks that he has not felt in a long time - was he blushing? Looking quickly about he follows Katha's lead and starts searching for the purple ball.

 

 

 

Last edited by ballon; 07-18-2019 at 07:31 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #711  
Old 07-18-2019, 08:45 PM
Llamacorns's Avatar
Llamacorns Llamacorns is offline
Young Adult Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 07-18-2019
RPXP: 153
Llamacorns Llamacorns
Posts: 100
As the earth slides away from under her she feels a lurch and falls to her knees the haunting scream still ringing in her ears, she barely has a chance to recover and notice the bright, friendly colors around her that she hasn't seen in so long, before she is scooped up in katha's warm embrace that nearly suffocates her. Katha I'm already broken enough, and I fear if you keep hugging me there will be nothing left! As she is thrown up and caught once again she feels the warmth of sunlight on her face she realizes there is no longer a target on her back, at least, not for now. And she relaxes despite the pain that still lingers around her.

She stands up shakily and breaks into a grin as Gogur and Katha spin around, both blushing with smiles from ear to ear. While they dance around she breathes in the fresh forest air and for the first time in a long time she forgets about the journal.

She stands tall at compliments from her friends and when they finish she smiles, "We did it, we made it home! Thank you both for the kind words, but without each other we may never have made it home, you have become my family even though we haven't known each other for long. You have made me feel welcome and protected me as only true friends can. Gogur your bravery in battle and loyalty are the reason we made it home, and Katha we have become so close and without your help I would've died many times over, and ggogur is right. It has been an honor to help you find and save your family. For your help I will forever be in debt."

Then she notices their focused expressions and realizes what they must be looking for, nathaire's body or that purple orb that seemed to absorb Vontairn's soul and she begins searching for any sign of objects or people brought over from the shadowfell.

Dice Perception to find the orb or body:
1d20+2 (11)+2 Total = 13

Last edited by Llamacorns; 07-18-2019 at 11:34 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #712  
Old 07-25-2019, 10:53 AM
Duxus's Avatar
Duxus Duxus is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 944
Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus
Posts: 1,469
Dwarves dance and look around in the rubble for the wizard's body. Even though it takes some time, they find it under some rubble. It is the same young wizard Gogur has seen first time in The Old Owl Inn couple of days ago; Nathaire. His body is bruised, but there is breath; even though a very faint one.
On his belt, there is a purple orb. When the young deva peers into the orb, he can see the wrinkled face of a bald man with a goatee looking back at Damilola.
Reply With Quote
  #713  
Old 07-29-2019, 09:43 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 367
ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 1,986
As they find Nathaire and the purple orb, Gogur glares at the prone man once he sees he is still alive. Lifting his axe up, "I think I'll treat you like horse with a broke leg and put you out of your misery. It's better than you deserve for what you have caused! All the people that have died, the destruction you have caused and for what?"

 

 
Reply With Quote
  #714  
Old 08-12-2019, 06:33 PM
kanly's Avatar
kanly kanly is offline
Wayward Zephyr
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 3303
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Posts: 3,596
Reaching out, Katha gently touches Gogur on the shoulder and says, "No, that's too easy. There are many back in town who will want closure."





 

 

 

Last edited by kanly; 08-13-2019 at 11:52 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #715  
Old 08-15-2019, 06:06 AM
Duxus's Avatar
Duxus Duxus is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 944
Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus Duxus
Posts: 1,469
Dwarfs grip on his handle tightens, his anger inside has been building up for days for this moment. He can feel the details on the leather strap on his hand. It is easy to imagine swinging his axe down. He doesnít even have to use to much energy, gravity will do the heavy lifting (or the other way around). He has felt so many times his axe cutting through flesh, snappi g bones in half. It is real easy, just a swish. And this nightmare will be over.
But his friend is right. She usually is. God damn it. Isnít it annoying when people are right? His hand relaxes, and snaps his axe back to its place.

Calmness washes over the place. You can all feel a light breeze, cooling the sweat on your skin. Blood slowly coagulating on your many open wounds, and as the adrenaline goes away aches start to come to your muscles. Slight breeze make a very light sound, echoing heavy breathing of the young deva. And finally your last sense, smell kicks in. It is usually the same, smelling kinda stops during a fight. But blood has a very distinctive smell to it, and when there is so lot of it.

Young mage lies on the floor, breathing ever so slowly.
Reply With Quote
  #716  
Old 08-18-2019, 11:36 PM
ballon's Avatar
ballon ballon is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 367
ballon ballon ballon ballon
Posts: 1,986
Slowly lowering his axe, Gogur takes a deep breath and looks at the others. "If we're not going to kill him, then help me tie him up. We'll take him back to town and let the authorities deal with him." Putting his axe to the side, he grabs some rope and starts binding the young mage.
 

 
Reply With Quote
  #717  
Old 08-22-2019, 02:47 PM
kanly's Avatar
kanly kanly is offline
Wayward Zephyr
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: 12-05-2019
RPXP: 3303
kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly kanly
Posts: 3,596
Katha quickly helps Gogur bind the injured mage, but she also takes the opportunity to go over his body looking for wounds and injuries. It wouldn't do any good to haul him all the way back to town only to realize that he had bled out halfway there.
Once he is secured, she turns to Damilola and fixes her gaze on the orb. "Careful of that thing, it looks a might fragile fer my liking. I won't rest easy 'til Vontairn's spirit is locked away some place safe. Maybe Brother Zelan an' his Pelorites can secure it." However the last is said with an obvious hint of doubt in her voice


OOC
Dice Healing check on the unconcious mage:
1d20+10 (15)+10 Total = 25



 

 

 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:16 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2019, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB