RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 12-14-2019, 08:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1377
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
Let's try ‘Dreamchaser’

Closed as of 8/8/2020

Game NameLet's try 'Dreamchaser'
Game SystemOther Roleplaying Games
Themecooperative story building
FlavourTBD
Plot SummaryI'm looking for 3 players who are willing to indulge in a pretty abstract game. Its actually more of cooperative storytelling than a game. I don't want to go through a long application process. As soon as I get 3 or 4 players, I'll start.

The game is Dreamchaser. I stumbled into a session of this at the Origins Game Fair back in June (of 2019), run by the designer, and I decided to buy it. I want to experiment to see if it will work in a PbP format.

The pace of this might be start-and-stop. I'm in a lot of games right now. The early phases of this game are a series of choices that the players make to set up the story and characters. Those will go by fairly quickly I think. Once we get into the actual "play" phase, I may just post once a week. If you're not willing to stick with a slow game, this is not for you. (To be clear, the slowness is on my part, and due to PbP, not anything inherent to the game. )

In phase 1, each player will pitch two ideas for the plot of the game. Some goal that you want the story to achieve. We'll decided by consensus which story to choose. In the game I played at Origins, the plot was Visit the edge of a black hole. When we do that phase in thread, I'll give more suggestions.

Phase 2, each players chooses the role that their character will play in this story.

There are a series of phases that flesh out the character, and set milestones that will occur in the story.

Once the story, milestones, and characters are set, I will play the "guide". I'll introduce challenges that come up in achieving the milestone. The players will choose their actions. We'll use the game mechanics to resolve the outcome of those.

I'll be learning the game mechanics as we go. It's a 2d10 system. There are aspects of it that I don't fully grasp from the 1 session I played 6 months ago. Part of the reason for me doing this PbP session is I want to think all that through so I can play this game IRL.

I'm not verbose in my game posts. I'm often the guy who responds with the one-line "I swing my sword" post. I'm hoping for some more elaborate writing from the players. I'll just be the facilitator of that.

In your application, perhaps include a couple of possible plot ideas.
Want I want from players is
- someone who will stick with this through the end, and be patient when the pace may be slow.
- someone who will take some initiative in their writing and push the story forward, rather than just passively playing along. I don't really want pages of verbose prose for each post. But I think the nature of the game requires two or three paragraphs.

Last edited by Stadiumite; 08-08-2020 at 08:50 AM.
Old 12-14-2019, 03:17 PM
Ailurophile

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2528
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Occasional bursts of elaborate writing, I can totally do.

A couple ideas:
- Slay a Dragon (but maybe in a nontraditional setting? i.e., Slay a Dragon In New York?
- Blue Sky on Mars (Terraforming efforts are complete, and now the first human colony ship arrives...)
Old 12-14-2019, 05:57 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
I'm a couple-of-paragraph type, myself, but if the situation requires it, I can become verbose.

Ideas?

If the milieu is suitable, an exploration story might be nice--climb, as a group, a previously unclimbed mountain, or survey a new planet, or venture into the Underdark where who knows what might lair.

Or we could be building a community: a new colony, a new military unit, a new frat house....

I like everything I've seen so far, though.
Old 12-15-2019, 04:36 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3651
Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099 Strange2099
Hi Stadiumite,

I believe you already know where I stand for this, though let me add another question on to my previous comments from PM:
Is it required for Players to purchase a copy of the game rules to join in? Or, will you be able to facilitate the rules with your copy?

As for my plot ideas, here are a couple:

1) First Contact - discover an alien species (bonus: an intelligent alien species!)

2) Afterlife - Prove there is life after death.

Admittedly, these ideas are deliberately vague in that there could be many outcomes or multiple versions. E.g., the alien species could be malevolent or benign, etc. I thought it might be better to leave them more open-ended that way, to have elements of mystery and surprise. But if this level of ambiguity is not appropriate for Dreamchaser, I can refine the ideas to be a more concrete scenario. Just let me know!
Old 12-15-2019, 04:41 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite Stadiumite
I've sent PMs to the 3 applicants with the game folder link. Let me know if you don't get the link, or if you are unable to view the thread.

I will leave this thread open for a day or two in case someone else want to join.

Otherwise, look for me to post instructions for the first phase later tonight or on Monday.
Old 12-15-2019, 07:47 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 172
mobby mobby
hey !

i'm that extra person who wants to join (:

i am totally here to be as verbose as necessary.
Old 12-16-2019, 04:58 PM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1267
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Hey guys,

I'm also interested, if you guys are interested in taking an extra extra person.

It's been a while since I've done anything on this site, but I'm interested in getting back into it, and I can definitely commit to a couple paragraphs a couple times a week.

As for plot ideas:
1) Detective story: Solve things as a team, setting could be anything from fantasy to modern to sci Fi

Or

2) Heist story: Kind of the other side of the detective story, also works on the team angle, setting possibilities remain diverse.
Old 12-16-2019, 05:37 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Applications Closed as of now

If this works out, I'll take on another group a few months down the line.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:18 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RE-OPENING APPLICATIONS

Alright, I tried to run this game 6 months ago with mixed success. I think we chose a cool plot idea, and character creation was fun. We lost momentum, and I halted the game. I'm hoping a second time around will be more successful.

Please see the first post at the top of this thread for instructions on how to apply.

Last edited by Stadiumite; 08-01-2020 at 02:18 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 02:22 PM
Ailurophile

Tools
User Statistics
auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie auntmousie
Are we gonna try and re-infuse the existing game, or starting from scratch?
Old 08-01-2020, 02:25 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by auntmousie View Post
Are we gonna try and re-infuse the existing game, or starting from scratch?
Probably start from scratch. There is another player from that first session who I think may join in.

I am interested to see how that story ends up, but I think it would be hard to work in a new player.
Old 08-01-2020, 04:30 PM
Ailurophile

Tools
User Statistics
Well, I'm still interested, assuming still welcome.
Old 08-01-2020, 05:05 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 534
flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle
I checked out the website and it looks interesting, although I cannot purchase the rulebook/pdf right now.
From what I saw the character creation is explained on the character sheet, but as for the mechanics I would be learning as we go if you are willing.
I am going to be able to stick with it though, and I am mainly looking at it because the narrative seems to drive it more than the mechanics. With that in a PbP format it sounds like some A lot ofgood writing, which I'm up for.

So now for plot ideas...hmm:
-Undersea human colony on the brink of collapse (...Definately not bioshock )
-Ghosts have started to show themselves for unknown reasons

Added: Count me in then, I'm up for this game.

Last edited by flapdoodle; 08-02-2020 at 01:38 PM. Reason: Added a goal to the first plot point
Old 08-02-2020, 09:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by flapdoodle View Post
I checked out the website and it looks interesting, although I cannot purchase the rulebook/pdf right now.
From what I saw the character creation is explained on the character sheet, but as for the mechanics I would be learning as we go if you are willing.
I am going to be able to stick with it though, and I am mainly looking at it because the narrative seems to drive it more than the mechanics. With that in a PbP format it sounds like some A lot ofgood writing, which I'm up for.

So now for plot ideas...hmm:
-Undersea human colony
-Ghosts have started to show themselves for unknown reasons
No need to purchase the rules. This is an indie game, so I want to encourage people to support the publisher. But for purposes of my game you can get by without it.
Old 08-03-2020, 02:49 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 174
ShadSkad ShadSkad
me me me!!! I'll make an app now, i'm just reading the opening post first, please hold my spot (if i made it)

Ok I'm back. I feel like i would be a great person for this. i haven't looked up verbose but it seems to be flat one liner posts and i definitely do not post that way. A few paragraphs would be great for me and I would love to join in this experimental exploration.

In terms of ideas for plots, i really loved all of yours and i'm not sure if i'll be able to match up but here goes:

- A well known political figure head was assassinated and their supporters are enraged. Our task is to unravel the mystery of who committed the murder whilst trying to keep the peace in a city growing more and more volatile.

- There is a newfound element (magical or mundane) of mysterious qualities. It is our mission to retrieve this element and be prepared for any danger we might encounter.

Last edited by ShadSkad; 08-03-2020 at 03:15 PM.