User Statistics
RPXP: 5927
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
The Island

Game NameThe Island
Game SystemDnD 5e
ThemeSurvival, War, Diplomacy
FlavourMystery, exploration, adventure, some comedy
Plot SummaryYou slowly awaken and instantly realize something is wrong. The cool breeze caressing your cheeks and harsh sunlight stinging your eyes tell you that you are outside instead of your bed. You place your hand down to push yourself up and feel coarse sand instead of grass or dirt. You take in your surroundings: There are four other people who seem to be waking up around you, all naked, a vast body of water to the south, a sandy beach you are on, mountains and jungle to the north and what looks like a building, a strange pillar of light and cliffs to the east, but to the west your eyes widen in shock at the sight of a massive obelisk. When you recover from that sight, you quickly realize you are naked, and an irritating itch draws your attention to your left arm, and a knot forms in your stomach when you see the implant. It is a dark blue crystal of some sort embedded in the inside of your forearm just below the wrist about two inches long and an inch across.

Welcome to the island, a mysterious place inhabited by dinosaurs which you can hunt, tame and ride. Start with nothing and build yourselves up as you help unite the scattered tribes on the island to fight against a massive army bent on conquering and enslaving everyone as you uncover the secret of the island and try to find a way back home.

I am looking for five level one players to challenge the island.
Stats will be rolling 2d6 plus 6
Source material is the core rule book, xanathars guide to everything, volos guide to monsters
No alignment restrictions, but I do ask that you be a team player and not stupid evil. No one likes playing with someone who screws over the party.
What to expect

No maps. We will be using theater of the mind. I will be very generous about positioning.
No rolling for initiative. The order of combat will be boss, players, minions. The player who posts first goes first round by round.
Inspiration is gained by delivering a death blow, or by scoring a critical hit. They do not stack however.
If you die, you resurrect where you started without your stuff.

Application
Name
Race
Class
Background
Flaw
Personality
Backstory

Deadline 8/15

Last edited by Togot; 07-31-2020 at 03:08 AM.
Old 07-31-2020, 09:07 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 168
Chevaliers Chevaliers
That sounds like a lot of fun. I'll get an application ready. Just a quick question, are you ok with characters using the backgrounds and the like from the SCAG at all? For example courtier or mercenary veteran.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:21 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 994
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
WIP
left-aligned image

Character Name: Pelderan Oakley
Alias: The Hero of Canton Vale.
Race: Human (variant if allowed)
Class: Cleric (Life Domain) of Pelor
Background: Folk Hero
Defining Event: I saved people during a "natural" disaster (Plague)
Personality Trait 1: I have a strong sense of fair play and always try to find the most equitable solution to arguments.
Personality Trait 2: If someone is in trouble, I'm always ready to lend help
Ideal: People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Bond: I worked the land, I love the land, and I will protect the land.
Flaw: The tyrant who rules my land will stop at nothing to see me killed, or worse....
Appearance: In his previous life: Noticeably clean and well groomed for somebody of common rural stock, this is for practicality rather than vanity. Clean shaven, hair and nails cut short and well maintained. Dresses plainly either in the red and white robes (with the yellow/gold trim) of a priest of Pelor, or in his armour with a simple tabard emblazoned with a golden sun, all well maintained and clean.
On the Island: Even though cleanliness and appearance is not a priority here, he likes to remain as well groomed as possible, with his clothing as clean and as well maintained as is feasible.
Personality: Pelderan genuinely wants to help build a community, and believes that the best resolution to a situation is one of compromise. Outside of what he needs to live, he is not that interested in wealth of coin. He does like to learn new skills, especially tradeskills, as he believes that this would enable him to be even more useful to to society. He would dearly love to plant a herb garden at the new settlement, to provide components for healing supplies and to establish a place where Pelorites can worship, if one does not already exist.
Backstory: The Lord of Pelderan's town, and of several other town's, was a greedy and cruel man. He had a dispute with a neighbouring Lord over who owned a particular stretch of land, called Canton Vale, so he raised an army of his regular soldiers, Freemen and Serfs. The Law of the land stated that each man should be paid in person at the end of their service, so the Lord intended that as few of the troops survive as possible. The Lords plan hit a snag when the enemy fled the field, and the opposing Lord conceding the land with only the minimum of bloodshed caused. This meant that the Lord would have to pay out more money than he had intended to, or would he?
The regular forces were brought home, while the rest were ordered to stay in the field to make that the enemy had in fact retreated. Most were happy to do so, more coin with little risk. Then people started to get deathly ill. Then more people. Soon almost everyone was ill. A Cleric of Pelor diagnosed the cause, a disease borne by contaminated drinking water. He knew how to treat it, but he needed ingredients to make the medicine, so a messenger was sent to the closest town to requisition them. On hearing the news, the town's Herbalist packed his wagon full of reagents, and was about to set off with the messenger, when they were both arrested by the Lords men on fabricated charges, and they were led away. Fortunately, the herbalists apprentice, Pelderan, overheard everything, and when the soldiers left, he jumped on the wagon and drove it away as fast as he could. He was seen trying to leave, and one of the soldiers shot him with his bow! A few hours later, Pelderan arrived at the camp, and the medicine was made up. Pelderan's wound was treated by the cleric, who asked him what had happened. Pelderan told him everything. The cleric knew that if Pelderan returned home then he was likely to have a fatal "accident", so given his service and obvious good character, he offered to take Pelderan to be inducted into the clergy of Pelor....
...Now, a few years later, Pelderan is a fully invested cleric of Pelor, but afraid to leave the Pelorite temple, for fear of reprisal.

Last edited by triedtherest; 07-31-2020 at 02:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5799
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Ark Survival Evolved I love that game. Of course that means I have to apply. Place Holder Build In Progress!

Application
right-aligned image
right-aligned image

Name: Xopa
Race: Tortle
Class: Paladin (Oath of Redemption)
Background: Faction Agent
[B]Personality Traits:[/B I believe if everyone shared the beliefs of my faction the world would be a better place. I am tolerant (or intolerant) of other factions and respect (or condemn) the ideals of other organizations.
Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself a capable member of my faction by mirroring my actions to faction ideals.
Bond: I owe my life to a faction Stalwart who took me in when my parents died.
Flaw: I judge others harshly, and myself even more severely.
Description: Xopa is fairly typical for those of his race. He stands just shy of six feet tall and weighs about 446 pounds. His skin is a thick greyish in color with highlights of maroon in areas.
Personality: Xopa is an old soul, a peaceful type who would prefer diplomacy to outright violence. He believes in respecting others as he does himself, and treats all as he would wish to be treated in turn. He believes kindness begets kindness, and treats everyone in such fashion. He is not always fast to trust others but he has learned that preconceptions about others often lead to misconceptions as well. As such he greets all as a possible friend or ally first, only changing this opinion by the other’s actions.
Backstory: Xopa hatched as most of his clutch of eggs, and spent the next year learning to speak and walk listening to the wisdom of his parents. As is the custom not long after Xopa’s parents passed on having reached the end of their lives. When they passed his clutch mates went on their own ways as did Xopa. He set out and was living a simple life, a small thatch hut to live in and meager possessions.

When he was 7 years old while out gathering food, Xopa was attacked by a Bear and left for dead. Fortunately a kindly Elven Paladin named Paithan found him and took him to safety healing his wounds. Xopa was fascinated by the man and his credo and stayed with him as he recovered and began to learn from him. His philosophy of violence as a last resort struck a chord with Xopa. Over the next four years Xopa traveled with Paithan and learned the ways of the Paladin.

At the age of eleven Xopa parted ways with his teacher as Paithan headed on a journey alone. Xopa with no true path to follow moved from place to place using Paithan’s teaching to help others avoid violence. When it was not possible to resolve things with word and action, fighting for the side he thought true. Xopa never stayed long serving his purpose as negotiator and when need be warrior. Xopa had taken refuge for the night along the side of the road, when he next woke finding himself alone and without his gear in a strange place. That is how the story begins.

Last edited by JaredSyn; 08-06-2020 at 07:09 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 02:31 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 994
triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest triedtherest
I took a few liberties with the backstory. If there is anything that doesn't fit, like the choice of Deity, let me know, and I will change it.
Old 07-31-2020, 04:00 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
Chevaliers, that should be fine.

Triedtherest, It's OK.
Old 08-01-2020, 06:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1709
penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0 penbeast0
SMALL
right-aligned image

Name: Small
Race: Lizardman
Class: Circle of the Moon Druid
Alignment: L/N
Background: Acolyte
Personality Trait: I ignore those smaller and less powerful than me . . . unless I am hungry
Personality Trait: I emulate those bigger and more powerful than me and follow their rules
Ideal: I will grow big, bigger than all those who could eat me
Bond: The law will protect me if I follow it; the law will execute me if I break it
Flaw: I have no natural empathy, only the rules that I follow because they are the biggest thing I know
Backstory: This includes where I was born, where I live, why I travel, and what my overarching goal is

I am Small. I was smaller than those of my tribe. I only survived because my tribe was big and could take enough food so they did not have to eat me. Though they would if food were scarce. That is the way of things.

Bigger than my tribe were the monsters of the swamp. Chult is a land of bigness and the monsters of the swamps were the biggest to my tribe. The hornface with its three terrible horns growing from a plate of bone that could smash through the strongest skin. The snakenecks, heavier than even the biggest of monsters, able to crush the biggest of my tribe with a careless step. And, the biggest of all, from whose bellow all ran in fear, the greatjaws with its monstrous mouth dwarfing its tiny arms. Tooth and fang incarnate.

But there was one place even the greatjaws did not go. Deep in the swamp was a big temple, overgrown with all manner of strangling vines and carnivorous plants. From it came the bellow of deep beating drums and it sent forth from its bigness emissaries that carried fear throughout the swamp and beyond.

And from beyond the swamp came to its environs creature who seemed small, softskinned, and weak. And the emissaries of the big temple sent my tribe forth against these creatures to eat them but they were not eaten. Some of the softskins put on shells of metal and picked up sharp pieces of the same and they killed those of my tribe who came against them. Others stayed soft with sticks of wood but they opened their mouths, tiny mouths with teeth that could not even harm me, the smallest. And from their mouths came god words, words of fire and flashing light, words that caused clouds of sharp metal teeth to appear in the air and all of my tribe were smashed and burned and cut until they lay small and still.

I did not die because I did not challenge them, being small. They took me back to their place, this temple, to eat later if they grew hungry. And I learned to understand them so that I would not be eaten. And I learned their rules and this thing that was bigger even than the godwords they spoke, the Law. And I listened to their stories and listening, I grew even smaller as they grew even bigger.

For they had gone forth after making my tribe small. And they had met the monsters of the swamp and though the monsters had been very big, the softskins were bigger still. The hornface with its horns that could pierce the strongest skin was smashed and stabbed and slashed and burned until it pierced no more. And the softskins ate it. The snakenecks in their immensity heard godwords that made them afraid and they fled deeper into the swamps. Even the greatjaws had bellowed doom at them, and they had bellowed back the words of fire and light and steel and made it small. And so, the softskins were bigger than the monsters of the swamp.

Then the softskins found their way to the big temple with its strangling vines and carnivorous plants all around it. And they entered the temple and faced those within. And those within had godwords of their own and the air was rent with bellowing and power. But the softskins were bigger and their bigness was such that they burst the very stones asunder and brought the temple crashing down in ruins.

And so I remain Small. Those of the temple are big, their god words are bigger but I am not eaten. Because bigger even than the godwords is the Law. If I follow the law, it protects me. If I disobey it, I will be killed. And so, following the law, I become bigger. I learn the godwords and they change me and make me bigger. My bellow causes light and fire. But I do not eat those smaller than I am because the law says I cannot eat those who speak and the law is bigger. And I search for more godwords and grow bigger. Someday I will be so big that no one can eat me and then I will no longer be Small. I will.

Last edited by penbeast0; 08-01-2020 at 10:23 PM.
Old 08-01-2020, 07:33 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
That should be fine.
Old 08-01-2020, 09:36 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1241
Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire Cheshire
Application
Name: Zatt
right-aligned image

Race: Kobold (White scales)
Class: Wizard
Background: Outlander (Exile)

Personality: Zatt is a curious creature, which causes him to get into trouble. He is very distrusting of any creature that does not have scales and will not call others by their names, but by nicknames. If a creature has scales Zatt will treat it as though it is a great defender of his people. Willing to follow them anywhere.

Appearance: A 2.5 foot tall, white scaled kobold with a spell book strapped to his back. Because of his size, the book looks awkward and oversized. He is never far away from it, it is his most prized possession. The other things he owns are bobbles and trinkets he finds, which to most would seem worthless. For Zatt however, each one is more precious than the last.

Personality Traits: I am always picking things up, absent mindlessly fiddling with them, sometimes accidentally breaking them.
I feel more comfortable around scaly creatures than smooth skins.

Ideal: Greater good. It is each persons responsibility to make the happiness for the whole tribe.
Honor. If I dishonor myself, then I dishonor the entire tribe.

Bond: My tribe is the most important thing in my life, even when they are far from me.
I am the only member of my tribe, it is up to me to ensure my name enters legend.

Flaw: I am slow to trust members of other species, unless they have scales.
There is no room for caution. Live life to the fullest.

Backstory: Zatt was traveling with a hunting party of kobolds from his tribe when he happened upon a discarded spell book. Seeing has how its owner was nowhere to be found, and he being a collector of random things he finds, took the book back to his tribe. He spent a very long time trying to unlock the secrets that were inside the book. One day he was able to cast the simplest of spells, but it was just the start for the kobold. Unfortunately the more he learned, the stronger he felt and saw himself better than the other members of his tribe. One particular incident, Zatt cast a spell on someone that had insulted him and the oversized book he now carried with him everywhere. The firebolt hit and killed the other kobold. The chief of his tribe said Zatt was becoming to dangerous and exiled him until he gave up the book. This never happened, and the now tribeless kobold was forced to learn how to life on his own. Zatt looks for companionship in any creature that has scales, this has gotten him in trouble from time to time, or nearly eaten.

OOC I will make a character sheet if chosen, unless it is required before.

Last edited by Cheshire; 08-03-2020 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:49 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 534
flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle flapdoodle
Placeholder post! That didn't take me long, I like this guy the more I develop him.
Complete
Oof I just realized someone else applied as a lizardman. I didn't make Whoosh prejudice because of that, I just wanted to give him another flaw because it made sense. I can drop that if you want Togot.

Application Complete

Name: The sound of wings flapping, or a fireball going by.Whoosh

Sex: Male

Race: Kenku

Class: Wild MagicSorcerer

Background: Far Traveler (NG)

Personality Traits:
I have my own idea of what is or is not food, and I find the eating habits of those around me fascinating, confusing, or revolting.
I express affection or contempt in ways that are unfamiliar to others.
Ideal:
Everything is new, but I have a thirst to learn.
Bond:
I hold no greater cause than my service to my people.
Flaw:
I don't take kindly to some of the actions and motivations of the people of this land, because these folks are different from me.

Prejudice towards Lizardfolk.
Personality: Mostly shy and slightly distrusting of outsiders, despite actually being one, Whoosh will warm up to you if he considers you a friend. That warmness may not be familiar to see though, as leaving you gifts and Bugs, Raw Fish, Lizards"food" is not as friendly as a joke or warm conversation. His magical abilities make him confident even if they sometimes have bad side effects and he makes up for inability to talk through sheer innovation and a lot of mimicry.
He is very much trying to find the secrets to flight, almost to an fault, and return to his people. This does mean he has a loyal side and sense of community to those he lives with, something he prides himself on almost as much as his magical abilities. He hates Lizardfolk too, it's just a prejudice he learned growing up above them. He will never trust those machine like scaly bastards in the swamps.

Backstory:

Last edited by flapdoodle; 08-02-2020 at 08:27 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 01:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2315
Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai Saraquai
Application
Name: Ashe
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Rogue
Background: Urchin
Flaw: It's not stealing if i need it more than someone else.
Personality: I like to squeeze into small spaces where no one can get me
Backstory: All Kits in Ashe's Pride had to pass a vigorous test to prove their value to the Pride. If they do not pass they are forced out, left to their own wiles to survive without support. Most do not survive, Ashe is that exception. Ashe survived the wilds long enough to find a bustling city to call his own. He was small enough to not be noticed when needed and his feline charms were enough to garner free meals or boarding as to remain out of danger. While other Urchins in the city spent their time and dreams seeking fortune and the easy life, Ashe relished the thrill of the interaction. Wealth will never be an attraction for Ashe, money is earned to be spent to survive not for power and he sees those who seek wealth as someone who can be manipulated to further Ashe's fancy!

Last edited by Saraquai; 08-04-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:50 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5428
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saraquai View Post
Application
Name: Ashe
Race: Tabaxi
Class: Rogue
Background: Urchin
Flaw: It's not stealing if i need it more than someone else.
Personality: I like to squeeze into small spaces where no one can get me
Backstory:

Placeholder till i can finish my backstory
Iím glad I switched concepts. lol I had a tabaxi rogue in mind, but the backstory felt more half orc barbarian, so I rolled with it.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:12 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 852
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
right-aligned image

Application
Name Azkhet
Race: Dragonborn--Brass
Class: Draconic Sorceror
Background: Folk Hero
Flaw: I'm convinced of the significance of my destiny and blind to my shortcomings and the risk of failure.
Personality: I'm confident in my own abilities and do what I can to instill confidence in others.

When Azkhet was a boy, a brass dragon was attacking his village. When Azkhet showed himself, the dragon stopped.it is you! The prophesied one! The dragon immediately agreed not to attack the village ever again, and revealed a destiny to Azkhet. His mother and father dismissed it. Saying the dragon must have been in a state of madness. After all, it isn't normal for a brass dragon to attack villages in the first place. But Azkhet believed it to be true. He would be the one who would be revered among dragonkind.

Year's later, the village had increased in size. And still protected from harm from the brass dragon, who would bring black crumbly rocks to them every winter. He called it anthracite, and it burned well and brought forth warmth. More so than the peat they would collect from the bogs and dry out. Then one winter, the dragon didn't come. People died, because they had come to expect the dragon's arrival every year. And didn't harvest enough peat that year to keep the town warm before the bogs froze over.

In fact, the last thing he remembered was standing in front of the town council and being condemned to exile. Lazy humans blamed him for their weakness. He was strong, and he kept his hearth warm and his baths steamy. Then he woke up here, with some sort of blue stone wedged in his scales. He tried to dislodge it, but it resisted his efforts and caused him pain every time he fiddled with it. The humans had the odd custom of wearing clothes, and he never saw much value in it. But conformed to societal pressures anyway. But now his clothes were missing and his surroundings were unrecognizable. He knew that one day he would find his family and fulfill his destiny.

OOCBeing that he's a sorcerer, he has no need of spell books to perform his magic. I took pains not to include spells that took material components. He has skills in survival, animal handling, arcana, and insight. I did have one other character concept for a tiefling druid but chose this instead. And I rolled randomly to determine his draconic origin. I could have gladly gone silver dragon instead, so now I have two methods starting campfires. Working on finding a picture . Dragonborn are built like linebackers. Tall, around 6'4" and weighing about 20 stone.

Last edited by TADHG; 08-06-2020 at 05:00 AM. Reason: Found image.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:13 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith Numen Wraith
Quote:
Originally Posted by Numen Wraith View Post
Iím glad I switched concepts. lol I had a tabaxi rogue in mind, but the backstory felt more half orc barbarian, so I rolled with it.
God, I hate windows. It restarted and deleted my WIP in progress application.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:28 PM
Oregonian Wyvern

Tools
User Statistics
Potvin
Name: Potvin
Race: Half Orc
Class: Barbarian
Background: Outlander
Personality Trait:
Iím always picking things up, absently fiddling with them, and sometimes accidentally breaking them.
I feel far more comfortable around animals than people.
Ideal:

Greater Good. It is each personís responsibility to make the most happiness for the whole tribe.
Bond:

I am the last of my tribe, and it is up to me to ensure their names enter legend.
Flaw:

I am slow to trust members of other races, tribes, and societies.
Backstory:

Potvin, or Potter as he was known to most of his friends, lived a happy childhood, and whether he knew it or not, he largely had his parents to thank for that. Entirely by their dedication to finding him a better life, he had grown up on a secluded island far from the mainland.

The island was renown for two things. The first was the horses, which Potter took to naturally. The second was unmitigated acceptance. For, on that far-flung Utopia anyone was welcome so long as they worked for the community and showed no aggression. His parents, both being first generation mixings of blood, had been cast out of their communities and so followed the tales of the island for decades before finding a welcoming harbour.

Sure, the work was hard, but the affability of the residents made life enjoyable. They found a skill in everyone and made sure their contributions were counted. His father for example, had the raw power needed in the ship yards where they built the vessels that allowed for trade and reaping the harvest of the sea. His mother, on the other hand, showed a natural affinity for designing houses that laid close to the rolling hills, important in an area with devastating winds, but accommodated any size or number of inhabitants as needed, important in a community composed of exiles and misfits.

The easy-going attitude and egalitarian virtues of the community were eventually shattered for young potter, however. Having never experienced the blatant discrimination that was rampant on the mainland, he was shattered when his declaration of love was rejected out of hand on the basis of his tusks and rough skin.

Embarrassed and dejected beyond consolation, Potter accepted a role in herding the wild horses from which the foals were collected. The long periods of isolation seemed to be the balm his soul needed. In time, he found he actually preferred the company of the horses to that of the community.

OOCJust to whitewash the red flags, Potter will not be the "I don't trust anyone. I'm a lone wolf" character that takes four months of post to allow any play to happen. He prefers animals to people and has likes isolation, but he doesn't begrudge people anything.

Also, I've long had the idea of a barbarian that actually enters a "Calm" instead of a "Rage" in mind. It won't be mechanically different, but just like the idea of a professional athlete who is "in the zone".

Last edited by Numen Wraith; 08-05-2020 at 01:51 AM.