Old 09-20-2018, 12:35 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21848
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
Basically I was looking for something that would make mystic theurge not have 2nd level spells at 7th level. I'll look at different concepts rather than do that.
I've been playing D&D for a quarter of a century, and never in that time has an attempt at a PC Mystic Theurge not sucked. With the exception of Gestalting two tier 1 classes.

Last edited by wodine; 09-20-2018 at 12:35 PM.
Old 09-20-2018, 01:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5068
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Quote:
Originally Posted by wodine View Post
I've been playing D&D for a quarter of a century, and never in that time has an attempt at a PC Mystic Theurge not sucked. With the exception of Gestalting two tier 1 classes.
With early entry tricks (like wizard 2, cleric 1 entry with the equipment trick feat), it's fine, but if it requires the full wizard 3 / cleric 3 (or sorcerer 4 / oracle 4) then yeah, it's terrible. It looks like there's a discovery to give a wizard an option to cast a divine spell (and it remains divine when cast by the wizard) but the wizard has to be 7th level to get a second level divine spell, then grab the cleric level, then go into the prc at 9th.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:48 PM
Distanced, Socially

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16930
DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina DAquilina
So I'm not sure if I'll be able to devote the needed time to this with another potential campaign in the works, but I'm posting interest. Toying with the idea of a flying mount build.
Old 09-21-2018, 01:02 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12205
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
left-aligned image
Name: Cina O'Shami of the Clan O'Shami
Race: Halfling
Origin: Wandering Clan, Empire/North Tradeways
Class: Magus (Nature-Bonded), Swashbuckler (Whirling Dervish), Unchained Monk (Water Dancer)
Intended role: Arcane striker, explorer/spelunker
  • (Role can easily be expanded to include trapspringer or social skill monkey based on needs, planning on having some but not currently a focus)
Physical description: Though rarely on display Cina's most striking feature is her flowing crimson hair, usually tied back and contained within her wetsuit's hood, which make her large blue eyes stand out as well. Even for a halfling she has a slim swimmer's build half-accentuated and half-hidden by tight clothing overlayed with various layers that can be easily removed for diving. Cina has a way of carrying herself that is simultaneously confident and on guard, acknowledging both the dangers that the world contain and her ability to confront them.

Personality: Cina is a paragon of the O'Shami clan's wanderlust, always seeking the new horizon and dragging those she loves along for the ride. She refuses to accept that she has insurmountable limitations. When she failed to forge more than a weak bond to the elemental lords she sought alternative methods, harnessing the elements through knowledge rather than intuition. While averse to the concept of arbitrary 'authority', more accustomed to the social laws of the wandering clan lifestyle where those leading work for and alongside those they lead, her loyalty is not particularly difficult to earn.

Background: Cina is a member of the O'Shami clan, a semi-famous clan of wandering halflings founded a thousand years ago by the 'Knight of the Fool Moon', Shami O'Shami. Though they have a few established clan grounds across the empire, serving as major trading posts and a place to raise the 'moonfey'The legend of Shami O'Shami claims a moon goddess granted him a mighty canine steed, a moonfey corgi named Milo, from which all of the O'Shami clan's canines are descended. While it is true that their corgi are significantly bigger and stronger than similar breeds elsewhere, large enough to serve as mounts for the small folk, they exhibit no magical or fae attributes now that would give credence to the tale.* corgi their caravans and 'knights' are known for, more O'Shamis are on the road than not which has resulted in their family being dotted across the nation. In the modern day if you've met ten halflings you've probably met at least one O'Shami, be they born, adopted, or married. The O'Shami clan hold fast to the tenets of their clan founder.

"Follow your own path, and seek your own destiny."
"Keep to the shadows, neither blazing with zealotry nor steeping in dark intent."
"Seek new horizons, new experiences, and let nothing hold you back."

Cina was born to Duras and Nanoa O'Shami, a trader and wind reader that met, married, and raised their daughter on the road. Growing up among the highly sociable O'Shami clan Cina has many of the typical traits of the O'Shami, including a curiosity and drive for self improvement. Constantly following her parents and cousins around she never lacked for love or learning. Like many children she tried to follow in her parents' footsteps but her mother's strong connection to the Thunderlord did not seem to carry over, though she did discover a minor affinity for the Waveking.

Tapping this connection seemed to awaken her wanderlust and, unlike many O'Shami, hers led her to the sea. Her parents traded in a favor owed to them by an old friend to gain her passage aboard a trading ship as a recruit, and she began her seafaring career with fond farewells and several books on elemental magic from her aunt's collection. Aboard the Sea Mint Cina met, among many others, the ship's mage. An elven arcanist, being of moderate age for an elf still made him the senior of anyone else aboard by well over a century. She quickly approached him about an apprenticeship but, with her current magical aptitude being an instinctive ability to produce very small quantities of water and the beginnings of magical cypher theory, she was dismissed as 'too novice even to be a novice'. Whether it was the elf's intent or not this drove Cina to redouble her efforts.

With the books gifted to her she spent much of her free time in independent study. Her first few breakthroughs seemed aided as much by her affinity as her drive, quickly mastering some basic mobility spells for use on the ocean as well as refining her water control enough to launch it as she created it. Rather than accept this easier path, however, she strove to expand outside of her natural ability. It took much longer but she learned to mold flame from her magic, and alter her own body. However, she was not given room aboard the Mint to study magic. She learned navigation and seacraft from the other sailors while she'd been teaching herself to harness the elements.

After a year on the sea, with only a few days spent in port towns, the vessel came under attack by pirates. While she proved more capable in a fight than most had expected from her, launching fiery spikes at boarding ropes to delay their attackers, if the Blue Lily had not come to their aid she would not have lived through the day. Before the ships parted ways she petitioned the Lily's captain, Ferdinant Haley Ingersoll, to allow her to join his crew. While young she had proven a certain measure of bravery and skill and he granted her request.

Over the next several years she earned his show of faith, expanding on her foundational if unorthodox collection of skills and forging them into a far sharper blade in the crucible of frequent battles. The naval warriors took in this fledgling mage and showed her how to fight. If anything her lack of traditional magical training proved a boon, as no one had told her that she belonged out of the way casting from relative safety. She was given a sword, shown how to use it, and trusted to pick up the rest when there was time. And pick it up she did, as she adapted quickly to the fast and precise style, eschewing heavy armors that could see you drowned in favor of staying half a step ahead of whoever was trying to kill you. Before long she'd further developed her magical repertoire to support her new training, spinning a small barrier of water around herself with one hand while in the other danced a crimson blade of flame.

While not properly a member of the imperial navy and thus unable to attain any true rank she was given tasks and accolade according to her ability and accomplishments. However this oddity of non-rank stuck in the craw of certain officials, and so she was rather unsurprised when a letter arrived officially conscripting her into service in settling a new land. What could have been an amusing non-issue, as Cina would gladly continue to accompany the Captain and Crew over a new horizon, turned sour as she read further and saw that the 'land, holdings, and titles' being held to ransom included a number of O'Shami clan homes and trade routes because of their legal standing as property of all O'Shami members in good standing. Of course she acquiesced to the conscription, placing herself pointedly under the command of her Captain of several years, but she's become somewhat more abrasive towards the imperial bureaucrats than she might otherwise have been.

RP SampleA loud thump on his door caught the Blue Lily's captain's attention, and a moment later a grumbling halfling opened the door and entered clearly favoring the leg that hadn't just been used to try making a dramatic entrance.

"Non'sign O'Shami," he grumbled, using the Non + Ensign, which also rhymes with her first namejoke title the crew often used when poking fun at the highly capable but proudly non-rank-holding woman. "To what do I owe the pleasure of your company and displeasure towards my door?"

Cina limped up and slammed a parchment down on the captain's desk, pointing emphatically. "They're threatenin' my family over this nonsense!"

Captain Ferdinant calmly took his seat and reached over to pick up the piece of paper, reading over the short missive. Below the standard text of conscription was a list of properties and their current tenants, the inclusion a bit unorthodox although both knew the reason why whoever had written it felt the need to include it. Most people with property knew the extent of their holdings, either because they lived in them or they had people whose job it was to keep track of these things. What Cina would claim ownership of if asked largely extended to a collection of books, a few changes of clothes, and the assortment of trinkets occupying her pouch. Not exactly a hefty penalty should one choose to ignore their conscription notice, and rather difficult to collect on as well. Ancestral homes accounting for some two dozen families, and trade agreements that paid to feed three times as many...well now, someone certainly knew how to threaten a halfling. Then again...

"So then is it your intention to defy the order to venture to this new land?"

Cina snorted and averted her gaze angrily. "That's not the point and you know it."

"I do know that, and I also know that this is only a problem if you insist on making it one. How many times have I offered you a commission aboard the Lily?"

"I'm O'Shami, Captain, we don't enlist. I do my part, ye know I do, and anyone says I don't keep a word once given can say it to my face. But we ain't a military folk."

"Then it seems you've been cursed by competence. If you had stayed aboard the Sea Mint, or just blended in among the cabin boys, I doubt we would be having this conversation. Sailors talk, and word travels. Did you think the men wouldn't tell tales? Especially after that little stunt you pulled against Durago's fleet?"

Cina was fairly radiating fury and embarrassment in equal measures by this point but remained silent.

"Hmm. Cina, are you opposed to traveling to this New Märklend?"

"No, Captain."

"Are you willing to continue obeying my orders?"

"Of course, Captain. You haven't done wrong by me, and I trust yer judgement."

"Well then, I suppose I will have to disappoint whatever overeager clerk sent this letter, as it's quite impossible to conscript an active officer of the imperial navy."

Cina's eyes boggled as she heard this. "Captain?"

With a rough grin he handed the paper back to Cina. "Of course, don't you remember officially accepting your commission last month? Ah, I suppose with the celebrations that evening the paperwork must have gotten mixed up. I'll have to have Jensen sort it out, and pass the word around while he's at it just in case it slipped anyone else's mind. Oh, and Cina?"

"Aye, Captain?"

Ferdinant extended a hand across his desk. "Welcome aboard, Ensign."

Cina's smile was radiant as she nodded back, shaking the hand and exclaiming "Thank you, Captain!" Nothing had changed, really. She was bound to military service, and for who knows how long. But she could trust the captain. And, more importantly, this way her family wasn't on the chopping block. Well, one of her families. With that handshake she'd just been accepted into another, and she would ensure neither were let down.

Passengers
  • Jaman the Fool: He's a half-wit that never learned to keep his mouth shut when it served him. I like him.
  • Roq: I've had a drink or two with the guy, he has some great stories. Just don't press him when he gets quiet about something. He ain't gonna hurt ya or anything, but I get the sense the memories are hurting him.
  • Hawke Amill: I can't say I know much about the guy, he mostly keeps to himself. Doesn't seem quite comfortable aboard a sailing vessel, or maybe it's just the close quarters.
    Merrick Blackwood: The Captain trusts him, so I trust him. He's got some ghosts, no doubt, but I know a good man when I see one.
  • Brynwulf 'Bryn' Battlehammer: I've never met someone that could go tale for tale at 'You think YOUR family is strange?', usually sheer numbers gives me an advantage. We called it a draw when it turned out third cousin Jodah O'Shami was, in fact, born Jodah Battlehammer.
  • Theodour Stempson: Who? Wait, is he that cartographer, with the metal thumb? No? Wait, the bearded one with the big sword! An axe? Wait, there are two Theos? Sorry, I just can't quite recall that one.
  • Eira Nightingale: Is it mean to say she creeps me out a bit? She's got this look in her eyes when she watches people like she's wondering why she's going to kill them. Not if, why. Like the only reason she hasn't yet is that she doesn't know what they've done to deserve it.
  • Jurgen Bauer: Blech, Kiko's been chewing my ear off all week since she caught a look at the pretty little ponce. I give it a week after landfall, he'll either get himself killed or worm his way into the governor's personal guard, and either way he's out of my hair.
  • Winrich Eichenhardt: Ah, they're adorable. Big, too! I know a lot of folk that would call them gruff or aggressive, but I grew around that sort and I know how to handle 'em. Show some proper respect, brush your hand through their hair, and jump up on top of 'em to show them whose in charge. What? Winrich? Eh, I guess he's alright too.
  • Corrivander Bookbinder: If I didn't know better I'd ask what possessed that man to step foot on a boat. Still, he's bright and friendly enough. Kinda reminds me of my father. Which, if the tales Aunt Deza tells are true, means any O'Shami woman with things to do needs to stear well clear of his smile.
  • Theomar "Theo" Lassic: Is it weird that I think I make him uncomfortable? He hasn't said anything, but sometimes he has this look like I'm about to turn into a troll or something. Still, he seems a solid enough guy and he hasn't caused any trouble. Gets on well with the rest of the crew and stands for his rounds. That's about as much as it takes for me to give a guy a shot.

• Captain Ferdinand Haley Ingersoll: The Captain's done more for me than any man or woman who didn't raise me, and O'Shami always balance their books in life. Anything the Captain needs, I'm there.
  • Governor Cecil Coranth: That man can go issue his orders out the backside of a horse. Captain's orders says once we make landfall he's the man in charge, so I'll do what I need to for that windbag. But I haven't been ordered to be pleasant to the man.
  • Gherla Herol: I'm a bit jealous, truth told. She's forged a connection and a calling where I failed. Still, the woman makes it damn hard to hold it against her. She puts in the work, and she's fun to boot. I wish she'd bean a member of the Lily before all this.
  • The Folwin Twins: I haven't had much of a chance to get to know the Twins. They're usually working when I make my way over to the Bear, and I ain't one to bother a folk while they're working. Maybe there'll be time at the new colony.

Significant NPCs
left-aligned image
Aunt Deza is the sister of Cina's father, Duras. She's an accomplished wizard and able tracker, although utterly incapable of reading a proper map. The books she gave to Cina were not originally part of her collection but sought out when her niece became frustrated with her lack of advancement following in her mothers' footsteps.

left-aligned image
Qzizar Falharth was the ship's mage aboard the Sea Mint when Cina sailed with them. At the time he considered the young girl's dedication to magical study to be lacking and refused to take her on as an apprentice. Both were surprised to see the other at Meerberg after so many years. Cina doesn't hold a grudge against the elf's prior opinion of her, and for his part Qzizar admits that she's progressed well (while maintaining that his assessment wasn't wrong at the time).

left-aligned image
Kiko Halberon mostly works as a cook aboard the Water Bear. She is a fledgling alchemist, studying under her father who was conscripted to the expedition. Kiko and Cina met accidentally when her father mistook the halfling for his daughter, having a similar height and hair color. The situation was cleared up without incident and despite being several years her senior Cina took a liking to the quiet human girl. The pair try to meet up at least a couple times a week to unwind and vent.

Last edited by AximusLokar; 10-03-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 11:33 PM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37713
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak

left-aligned image
Corrivander Bookbinder

The Historian
Bard, Mastermind and Skill Monkey Extraordinaire

Physical Description

Corrivander is slight, even by halfling standards, barely topping 3 feet and weighing just 35 pounds. His auburn hair has grown long, so he uses a small clip to hold it back enough to expose his pointed ears. His expressive, dark brown eyes seem to speak on their own, allowing you to read his emotions just as easily as you could read the pages of his books. But more than anything, it was his smile that draws you towards him, an inviting grin that made you like the affable halfling before you hear a single melodic word roll off his silver tongue.

His finely pressed shirt and trousers are woven of fine linen, while his deep mahogany hued leather vest draws the eyes way from his permenantly ink stained hands. He carries no weapon, although an occasional glint of fine armor flashes over the neckline of his shirt. A backpack lay gracefully across his back like an archer's quiver, several scrolls sprouting from the top like arrows.

Background

It began with the stroke of a pen. For Corrivander Bookbinder, Historian of the Empire, it always did.

This time, it was different, for the pen belonged not to him, but the Emperor himself. The chilling words in which he used to close the letter were burned into his mind, words that kept him up at night ever since he had received it.. Your sacrifice is appreciated,

His mind whirls as he tried to understand how he had could attract the attention of someone as powerful as the Emperor. And yet, as much as he wracked his brain, the commission made little sense to him, for he considered himself a simple librarian.. He was no warrior or explorer, and while he was a passable cartographer, there were surely others who were more willing and better equipped for such a task.

But as was his usual, the young halfling had underestimated his own position in the world and the impact his words had on people. He was indeed a librarian, but he was far from insignificant. He was, or at least, had been, the Conservator of the Great Athenaium, the finest mage's college in the land. It was a position of power, second in power only to Chamberlain.

While Corrivander held no ill will towards anyone or anything, there were others of the school who were of less noble thought who were jealous of the halfling's rapid rise within the hierarchy. And it so happened that one of the few people that did not appreciate the affable halfling happened to be a distant relative of the Emperor's own visir.

NPCs
It was not a fair battle. The diminutive halfling's stomach was no match for the crashing of the waves and the constant motion of the ship. And so, for the first days on board, he spent most of his time hunched over the deck of the ship, begging for a sweet release from life.

But after 3 days, the oceans calmed and so did his stomach. While he was not certain he was ready for solid food, he was glad to accept a mug of vegetable broth from the serving girl. The young girl's name was Brenda, and she appeared to be just shy of 15 years of age. Corrivander had not spoken more than a few words to her, but a simple glance told him much.

Her blue eyes and high cheekbones showed her ancestry told him that she was from the coast, mostly likely somewhere near Märklend. Her hands were rough, as would be expected from a working class person such as herself, but the nails had been meticulously manicured. The dress she wore was a bit threadbare, but of a solid make and surprisingly bereft of stains. But it was the way in which she walked that is what really caught his attention, for she flitted from table to table, offering refills and clearing plates without a bit of fear in her eyes.

A normal girl in her position would be constantly harassed by a crew filled with sea-faring men. She is related to the Captain. he realized, pausing only a moment to finish his thought. But Captain Ingersoll has no children of his own, But he did have a sister, one who fell to the plague a few years back. he remembered, since he had made copies of the announcements for the town criers a few years earlier.

Yes... Brenda is the captain's niece... But in his weakened state, the normally talkative halfling did not take the opportunity to learn more about the interesting woman, but merely thanked her and sat quietly in the corner of the galley, allowing the warmth and pleasant scent of his broth fill his senses.

Memories flowed through Corrivander's mind, thoughts of a time long since past. This mind hearkened back to his time at Thrya's Rest, the only tavern in Baudenberg, the town of his birth. A smile crossed his face as he remembered Thyra Hearp, the woman who had taken him in after his parents died. Thryra was a large woman with two large moles on her face, several missing , a constant frown and a stinging tongue. But it did not take someone as observant as Corrivander to tell that underneath the gruff exteriror was the heart of an angel,

She had loved him like he was her own son, making sure he was well fed and cared for and that his education did not suffer. She was the one to encourage him to talk to the others in the tavern, which nearly always ended with one of Corrivander's famous stories. It did not take long for word to get around about the young storyteller

His smile only widened as he remembered the day that she had kicked him out. It was two days after he had received the job offer from the Great Aethenaum, an offer he had intended on refusing. Thyra had learned of the offer and promptly kicked him out, making it clear that she could not longer to afford to support Corrivander's ravenous appetite. And even if Corrivander had not seen past her harsh words, he did not miss the single tear that trickled down her cheek as he threw his belongings out into the street, along with an ample supply of bread and cheese and enough coin to help get him to the library.

A sharp lurch of the ship jolted the halfling out of his reverie and forced him to open his eyes, his hand moving to his stomach as if to hold in it's meager contents. As the rocking moved faster, the typically secular halfling once again pleaded with Sh’dom for mercy

Last edited by Squeak; 10-07-2018 at 08:13 PM.
Old 09-22-2018, 02:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2732
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Under Character Creation, one of the things you had was "Classes: All Paizo, except alternate, will be considered." So I take it that A Spell-Less Ranger would not be considered then?
Old 09-22-2018, 08:38 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5068
ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX ShadowcatX
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekr34 View Post
Under Character Creation, one of the things you had was "Classes: All Paizo, except alternate, will be considered." So I take it that A Spell-Less Ranger would not be considered then?
I'm not the DM but isn't spellless ranger just an archetype? The alternate classes are antipaladin, ninja, and samurai.
Old 09-22-2018, 08:39 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25990
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
@Squeak: I saw him before in outplay and other apps right? Hopefully this time is right!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:04 AM
Of the Fartnocker Clan

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 37713
Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak Squeak
Yeah, it was a concept I started in Outplay a couple years ago and tweaked for this game. He was doing great until the combat round

I haven’t I don’t think I have have applied to another game with this concept, but at my age my memory isn’t as good as it used to beused him for another game yet, but it is a character I’ve wanted to explore a bit more.

Last edited by Squeak; 09-22-2018 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 09:31 AM
Zar Campaign World

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25990
MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar MoonZar
This game is very tempting... but I'm swamp at the moment.
Old 09-22-2018, 11:49 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 17373
dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque dbaque
My regrets, wodine, but I am withdrawing my fledgling app. I got in another campaign I was trying for. I wish I had time for both it & yours. Best of luck and to the other hopefuls!
Old 09-22-2018, 01:18 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton suburbanplankton
Merrick Blackwood
right-aligned image

Name: Merrick Blackwood
Race: Human
Origin: The Sudetenland
Class: Fighter
Intended role: Protector, the "voice of reason and experience" (in his own mind, at least)

Physical description:
Six foot tall and solidly built, everything about Merrick's appearance says "soldier"...but a closer look reveals some chinks in the armor: his dark brown hair is starting to tend toward gray, the deepening lines on his face hint not only at advancing age but also years of self-neglect. The fire in his eyes has dimmed some from his glory days, but he still carries himself with a sense of pride, as if he can by sheer force of will overcome his physical failings.

Personality:
Merrick has always had a strong sense of duty: to oneself, to one's family, to one's kingdom. He has always seen himself as a protector, bound to take care of all of those around him, and to seek justice for any wrongs done to "his people", no matter what the cost to himself. And he stubbornly expects the same in others, even though age and experience have tried to teach him otherwise - and even though it was his own sense of duty to the crown that led to the loss of his family.

Merrick was never a very "expressive" person. He always enjoyed a good tale or joke, but they were met with a nod and a grin rather than a hearty laugh; likewise anger and frustration were more likely to be channeled into hard work than emotional outbursts. The last few years, however, he found himself becoming more and more emotional as he slipped deeper and deeper into the bottle - generally on the "angry side" - but since he has left the city and begun his latest journey, armed at last with some renewed sense of purpose, he finds himself sometimes strangely "happy"...one of a number of emotions that he is still trying to learn to deal with.

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

Background:
From the time he was old enough to hold a wooden toy sword, Merrick knew what he wanted to do with his life. Growing up on a typical Sud small family farm, he worked the fields and tended the animals like every able-bodies child, but the life of a farmer was not for him. As soon as he was old enough, he joined the town guard, and later was able to get an invitation the the Academy in Praha. Upon graduation, Merrick received his first assignment at a frontier fortress, where he spent his time protecting against wild beasts and the occasional bandit or barbarian incursion.

It was there that he met Selene, the daughter of a local blacksmith. It was a whirlwind romance, and just over a year later they welcomed their first child, a daughter. All the time, Merrick was making a name for himself, and just before Helen's first birthday, he was given his own command, and a transfer to the capital. His young family in tow, Merrick took command of a division of the City Watch. To say that Selene was dissatisfied with city life would be a vast understatement. She hated the crowds, the noise, the smell...but she loved her husband, so she suffered in silence. Merrick tried his best to make her comfortable, but his duties took him away from home for days - or weeks - at a time. Two summers later, there was a sizable uprising in the borderlands; a sizable group of marauders were terrorizing the small villages and proving too much for the local militia to overcome. Due to his familiarity with the countryside and his knowledge of the ways of the "frontier folk", Merrick was asked to lead a detachment to deal with the problem.

Success in this mission would mean great honor and another promotion, and his assignment of choice; promising Selene that he would take her away from the City forever on his return, Merrick kissed his wife and daughter goodbye and set out for the frontier. But what should have been a three week mission turned into a nine-month campaign. The barbarians were far better armed and organized, and in far greater number, than intelligence had suggested; initial losses were heavy, but after having the opportunity to assess the barbarian's tactics Merrick was able to form a strategy and begin the long work of reclaiming lost territory, and then pushing back the invaders. Eventually, he commanded three divisions of men spread out over a fifty mile front before he personally led the attack that killed the barbarian leader.

Merrick returned to the city a hero...but returned home to a house that was empty and silent. All that remained of his family was a dust-covered note:

I'm sorry...I cannot wait any longer. We are going home.

S.

It was a four day journey to the village where Merrick and Selene had first met. When he arrived, he found the same as at his own home; the town was deserted. It had been on the fringes of the fighting during the barbarian incursion, though Merrick had never himself been close by, but he could not tell if the town had been overrun, or if the people had simply fled for safer pastures, but it was clear that the town had been empty for a number of months. For several weeks he roamed the countryside looking for any trace of his family, or any of their townsfolk, but found nothing. Eventually, he returned to Praha, alone and broken.

Celebrated as a "hero of the people", Merrick was honored and feted, and given many ceremonial duties as thanks for his long, hard work. But the lack of routine, and his tremendous sense of loss, worked against him; soon he fell into a deep depression, and turned to drink to get him through the long days and lonely nights. He became angry and belligerent, and has spent the last few years breaking down much of the good will that he built up in his "glory years".

Now, the commander from his first assignment, and his last remaining true friend, has come to him with a "final offer". By calling in a number of favors of his own, he has secured for Merrick a position in the expedition to New Märklend: one last chance for Merrick to take himself off his path of self-destruction and regain his honor.

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

Roleplay sample:

"But what if they come back, and I'm not here?" Merrick looks across the table at his old friend, the Imperial letter clutched in his hand. Arron Cartwright was Merrick's oldest and truest friend - and if he were honest with himself, probably the last person in the city who still cared for him. The letter, bearing the Imperial seal, had arrived just a couple hours ago; Merrick was still trying to understand its meaning when Arron had knocked on the door, knowing that it had gone out for delivery, and that it would require explanation. "I can't just leave...that's...that's..what she did..."

He crumpled the note in one hand, while lowering his head to rest in the other, trying to stave off the memories of that day years past.

"Merrick, look at me. You need to face facts. They aren't coming back. You know it's true. It's been six years...I'm sorry, I really am, but they are gone. Forever." Arron stares across the table, looking at Merrick as a father looks at a truculent son, or as a commander looks at an insubordinate underling. "You need to understand your situation here. You've burnt your last bridge; that stunt you pulled with the Duke last month nearly did you in. He wanted to have you brought up on charges! But I was able to call in some favors - though the gods know why I care any more - and get this assignment for you.

It's a good deal, Merrick. It's not a command - you haven't earned that, frankly - but it's a job...and you need one, friend. And...it gets you out of the city...hell, it gets you off the continent...and that is very much where you need to be right now."

Slowly Merrick looks up at his old friend.

"Is it that bad? I can't even remember what I said...though I know that bastard had it coming. Duke or not, he can't say things like that about his own subjects!"

"I remember exactly what you said, but I'm not going to repeat it now. Anyway, it wasn't so much your words; it was the bottle of wine that you threw at him. Nobility doesn't take too kind a look at being assaulted, you know"

Merrick doesn't respond; try as he might, he can't recall the details of the evening - he was much too far into his cups the entire day. Instead he gets up and walks to the window, and looks out over the city. He had spent the last six years here afraid to leave, but desperately wanting to be anywhere else. He picks up a carafe from a side table and pours himself a glass of wine, then downs it in one long gulp.

"So, you're telling me I can pack up and set out on an expedition, to try and find the last expedition...or I can stay here and go to the stockade? That's not really much of a choice, is it?"

"No, it's not much of a choice. But you're making the right one. It will be good for you. But there is one more thing...that bottle. You'd better learn to put it down; hungover and seasick do not make for a pleasant combination."

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

Passengers:

The first couple weeks of the voyage are mostly a blur to Merrick. Arron was right; hangovers and seasickness are a very bad combination. But spending the majority of the day heaving over a railing did severely curtail the time available for Merrick to drink, and after a time, the situation began to resolve itself. Armed with a clear head and a mostly-settled stomach, he was able to mingle with his fellow shipmates.

He feels a certain kinship with Captain Ingersoll - a life-long sailor, who rose through the ranks to get his own command - the parallels to Merrick's own career were clear. He spent several long evenings discussing tactics with the Captain; Merrick has always been a straight-forward, sword-and-shield fighter, so the was much good-natured argumentation between the two about the most effective fighting techniques.

He also spent a fair mount of time, mostly in the early days of the voyage, with Ghelra Herol, as the cleric tended to his 'condition'. Merrick was never a religious man, but always had a deep respect for clerics, especially those on the battlefield, and he is grateful to Gherla for her delicacy in handling his situation; she went to great pains to hide the fact from the rest of the passengers and crew that Merrick was going through withdrawals, instead attributing his condition to an extremely intense bout of seasickness.

Among the other 'passengers', there are two that particularly stand out to him.

In Roq he sees what might have become of himself, had certain events turned out differently; an ex-soldier, trying to make his way in life after hanging up his weapons. He also gets the idea that Roq's presence on the ship, like his own, is not so much out of choice as opposed to being better than the alternative.

He is intrigued by Theo; he has known plenty of warriors, and plenty of spellcasters, but he has met few who managed to successfully combine the two arts. He has always had a very slight distrust of arcane magic, as it seemed to have a tendency to fail at the most inopportune times, whereas a sword was always a sword, so he in interested in understanding how the two arts can be used together.

~~~ *** ~~~ *** ~~~

Please Describe at least two (2) NPCs:

Arron Cartwright - Arron was the commander at the outpost where Merrick had his first assignment after graduation. He served as a mentor and surrogate father to Merrick in the early days, growing over the years to be a close friend and confidant. Now retired and serving as a military advisor to the crown, Arron is really the last true friend that Merrick has, and has used his influence to obtain this opportunity for Merrick, and his position as pseudo-father/commander to compel Merrick to take it.

Katy - Katy is a handmaiden, serving both Governor Coranth and GHelra Herol during the voyage. Katy is fair-hared and blue-eyed, just as Selene was, and looks to be just about the same age as his own daughter Helen. Merrick cannot help but feel a sense of fatherly responsibility toward her, though he feels a great deal of awkwardness interacting with the girl due to his own feelings of guilt for his own past actions. He tries to keep an eye on her from a 'safe distance' to make certain that no evil befalls her.

Last edited by suburbanplankton; 09-28-2018 at 12:56 AM.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2732
Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34 Seekr34
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowcatX View Post
I'm not the DM but isn't spellless ranger just an archetype? The alternate classes are antipaladin, ninja, and samurai.
That's why I asked, I just want to make sure before I work on him. Actually, I still can on some parts. Anyway, we'll see what the DM thinks of it. His game after all.
Old 09-22-2018, 01:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8565
dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen dalarangreen
You have great hooks, wodine. Posting interest!
Old 09-22-2018, 02:17 PM
The Lord of Gifts

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21848
wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine wodine
Alternate classes are ninja, samurai... And there's one other I don't recall at this time.