... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 03:44 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2773
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
1) Yes, that's correct that taking one Sphere class nets you out at "normal." I haven't balance out the Champion classes, so I would lean toward them getting both -1s. Both kinds of Spheres give a big early surge of power relative to core classes.

(I do think that the Prodigy, for example, is not feasible for play-by-post because it is based on an intricate sequence of sub-round actions that is very dynamic and reactive. I don't see it as playing well when rounds are monolithic.)

2) Custom traditions are permitted with approval.

Generally all "magic" is psionics coming from mutations. It needs to be roughly thematically similar to psion-like powers.

Luck is not a mental score and not the basis for casting.

3) "Any limitations" is too vague a question. What I have in mind as disallowed are things that are "obviously magical" -- gross violations of e=mc^2. So enlarge, reduce, shapeshift, conjure substances and creatures -- thematically those don't fit. There are no planes/outsiders/gods/etc. The traditional D&D/Pathfinder cosmology does not apply.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 22nd, 2020 at 03:45 AM.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 07:15 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12950
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
1 ) I've played a Prodigy in a play-by-post before, but that game also had a discord dice roller and a google doc sheet that allowed you to fire off a 'I rolled this against this target' and get back a hit or miss answer in real time from a linked GM-locked reference sheets so it's not a perfect 1:1 for a typical play-by-post. In any event, I don't disagree that Champion classes have a level of customization, and potential for power scale, that can necessitate balancing against even single-typed spheres so if I do end up going champion I'm perfectly fine having to give up a feat for it.

2 ) Good to know, once I decide which character I'd like to play as I'll work up a proposal for approval. Sad about Luck not being a caster stat, the idea of making an all-out luckslinger appealed to me, but eh.

3 ) Sorry if I worded it vaguely. I more or less was asking what you answered with "that don't violate the rules regarding fitting into the setting". Some people ban all advanced talents, or limit them a certain fraction of over-all talents, etc. It sounds like as long as it still fits the criteria of 'explainable through tech, mutation, or psionics' that other 'magic' reflavors require it's good.
Old Apr 22nd, 2020, 11:26 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Re: 3) I don't have a prior decision on ratio of advanced talents to normal talents, or which ones to throttle. So propose a build and we will sort out whether a few pieces don't fit.

If a character is powerful, that's fine, monsters can be tougher and there's no limit to that. But if a character is unbalanced relative to other PCs, that needs correction one way or another.
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 12:39 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
A game forum was created here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=18666 .
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 03:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13414
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
think i am going to try to put together some sort of alchemist healer combo so bear with me
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 03:54 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I created an application tracker, here:
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...84#post8731084

I will update it periodically as we get closer to launching.
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 04:31 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Hyregoth, for Brother, you’ll be picking these: Archetype, Difficulties, Heroics, Talent, Traits, Archetype Training (level 2). In particular, your Modern Trait reflects your background occupation and helps determine starting wealth.

The Scrapper Perk by itself is redundant with the Gearhead’s Salvage class ability. It would only give a net benefit if you take a 2nd level in the Perk.

Record your second level of Armoror as Armorer/2

If you want to benefit from both levels of Armorer, then you’ll want to put both levels in-use.

For Favored Equipment, the choice is simply “Armor” not “Pneumatically powered armor”.

The build currently, unfortunately, only has light armor proficiency from Gearhead. The Modern Hero doesn’t grant armor proficiency. So if you want to tromp around in heavy armor, you might do better as Modern 1 / Fighter 1 / Gearhead 3. Or you could get more armor proficiency by Feats, but they’re a scarce resource.

--

Also, everyone will be granted 1 useful item of my choice. If you want to add a short section to your character description on how you'd have come across it, go for it.

Brother's ChestpieceThe chest of whatever armor you choose is upgraded as follows:

Pocketed (+10lbs carrying capacity)
Masterwork, enhanced +1
Troubleshooter’s. Grant DR 2/- vs robots and counters any Bane-like weapon wielded by a robot.

Value: 4150+(1.3x base armor cost) caps

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 23rd, 2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 08:08 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OK -- so with the current build your Perk would apply to all armor, but the only really good armor proficiency you have come from the Gearhead class.

There is a series of monster templates: Irradiated, Glowing, Luminous . Ghouls and mutated animals have them fairly often. The Glow Sighted Perk would apply against them. These templates add radiation damage when attacking or being attacked by natural weapons or unarmed, and well as a radiation radius and a burst-on-death effect.

Radiation is the most common cause of mutations. The Green Creep can itself either cause or exacerbate mutations, and it is the cause of psionic mutations -- which are a new thing affecting the Commonwealth. Unfortunately, it is often lethal, often causes violent madness, and surviving it one year doesn't mean you'll survive it the next year. The Green Creep does not cause glowing. It typically does make one's skin green and covered with boils =-- among its milder symptoms. The who gain psionic powers, even if they do not show outward mutations, will bleed green blood.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 23rd, 2020 at 08:14 PM. Reason: `
Old Apr 23rd, 2020, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I revised to include the links.
  • 1 Computer or Vehicle Feats from the d20 modern feat list
  • 1 Class Ability from the Mechanic class list. (This is a wonder-working technical class borrowed from Starjammer. Omit anything referring to "starship" or other out-of-Fallout concepts.)
  • 1 Mechanical trick from the Mechanic class list.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 23rd, 2020 at 09:02 PM.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 01:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 297
Rave Rave Rave
@CatCanCook Would a 17 something who caught the Creep and survived long enough to get Read: A Telekinetic Warrior Symbiatpsychic powers to do "Telekinesis and Protection Spheresflashy stuff" be to far fetched for your idea's for this game? I'm imagining a young girl who got rescued by the Minute Men and just ended up somehow always being "around" (not necessarily fighting) for quite some time. But after catching the Creep and getting phsychic powers from it she would want to use her powers with whatever time she may or may not have left to help defend and stabilize the Commonwealth. She would be mostly focused on trying to protect her allies with barriers and agies' and the like while also CC'ing enemies by lifting them using telekinesis to maneuver, lock down, steal weapons, and otherwise just be a general nuisance to enemies. Also this would be my first time using the Sphere's system so I may need semi-significant help just getting started but once I better understand whats going on I should be able to hit the ground running.

Also with the "guns everywhere" rule are guns still considered their own weapon type or are they rolled into simple/martial weapons?
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 01:46 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Rave,

Yes, people have only had psionic powers for a short time, and they can come on in great strength suddenly. So the concept is OK.

While guns are everywhere, there are savages that don't use them -- it is still presumed to take some training.

Ways to get proficiency:
1) Take a class (Gunslinger, Gearhead), or an archetype (like Savage Technologist) that gives proficiency.
2) Take a Spheres of Might class level, and choose a martial tradition that includes firearm proficiency.
3) Take 1 level in a d20 Modern class
4) Spend a Feat to purchase proficiency
5) Spend a Martial Talent (spheres) to purchase Firearm proficiency
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 01:56 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Rave,

Thematically, the Creep does not itself possess a mind or alien consciousness. However, consider an origin story were perhaps she and someone else (a person or other living creature) both underwent the madness of transformation simultaneously and she absorbed the other. There is a bit of a horror theme to the Symbiat class.

General traits of being a psi mutant: green blood. Sometimes some physicall mutations.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 02:01 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
So it looks like we will have critical mass to form a party -- assuming the people who have expressed interest complete applications. And we have about a week and a half to go. If we have a bunch more applications then it may get competitive.

Here is the status so far:

Player Character Race Class(es) Role Status
VaultDwe11er - - - - Expressed interest
AximusLokar - - - - Expressed interest
Hyregoth Brother Human (Brotherhood of Steel) Tough Hero 1/Fighter 1/Gearhead 3 Engineer Near complete
OneDarknes - - Alchemist/? Healer, Chemist Expressed interest
Rave - - Symbiat Buff/debuff Expressed interest

Last edited by CatCanCook; Apr 24th, 2020 at 02:04 AM.
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 09:42 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12950
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
I've mostly hammered out the details and just need to finish writing it up, but have to spend the rest of today prepping for the game I'm running for some friends tonight. So I should hopefully have it all ready for review tomorrow.

For now, my concept has slid a bit from the original luckslinger to a kind of technomancer concept. Mother was the sole survivor of one of japan's satellite equivalent to Vaults that crash-landed. Taken in by the Railroad because she was suspected to be a synth because of the nanite-bonded tech she used, which was passed down to my character. His nanite load lets him overclock his reflexes (very limited haste effect), channel an electric current into held objects (destruction limited to Energy Strike and Electric Blast), and gives him an in-vision hud for enhanced vision packages (divination limited to Sense talents). A mix of the tech sphere and minor dips into a few magic spheres, science guns, and scrapping/repair.

Sort version of current build is:
Deacon Kairos
Human (Half-Breed Vault/Railroad)
GunslingerClockstopper^ 1, ArmoristWhitesmith, Martial Armorist^ 3, ArmigerAntiquarian^ 1
Ranged DPS/Trapspringer

On that note, I took the Leadership sphere with the Construct Controller drawback so that I could only recruit non-living recruits (found/repair drones mostly, with an option of synths), which switches the linked skill from Diplomacy to Engineering. Would I be eligible for the Local Leader perk, but specific to drones/synths, using Intelligence instead of Charisma?
Old Apr 24th, 2020, 10:52 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@Hyregoth -- I can mark it is complete, just wanted to verify that you are done.

Yes, in real life child-warriors are sadly too common. The Fallout game series has a minimal number of children, for sensible reasons not wanting to place them in the ultra violent scenarios common to horror-themed 1st person shooters.

Re timeline from the intro, "Then, just two years ago, a virulent plague called variously the Green Creep or the Rotting Madness struck humans of the Commonwealth"