RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 04-24-2020, 10:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2021
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
@AximusLokar -

Is "Deacon Kairos" the name, or a reference to something? One of the Railroad NPCs is named Deacon.

The mix of classes is OK.

If you are including an exotic background (a crashed satellite biome), then write some additional description of it. Stipulations: you are not the sole survivor, you may have enemies who show up with similar abilities to you; having unique tech might make you a subject the Brotherhood wants to capture and study.

Re: repairing synths - that would be limited to the earlier models, Type I and II. The Type III are organic and heal as humans do.

The Local Leader Perk means something very specific. As the game progresses your team's job is to plant settlements and recruit factions to join the Minutemen and build up an alliance. The intent of the Perk is that you use charisma to form a makeshift alliance of many factions already out there. So -- no, it is not available for constructs or Int-based.
Old 04-24-2020, 10:14 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
I updated the Applicant Status table.

Roles missing so far: a melee build (either DPS or tank), a Face, a Sneak. We don't have to fill all possible roles by any means. But as diplomacy is an important part of the plot, having a PC whose good at it could help.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@AximusLokar --

I gave some thought to how the Armorist class abilities interact with the fact that half of the weapons in the world are guns, which have progressive degrees of advancement.

See: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...58#post8735758

I would recommend taking the Scrapper Perk to keep you fueled with raw materials.

Last edited by CatCanCook; 04-25-2020 at 12:57 AM.
Old 04-24-2020, 02:13 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12205
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Re Name: His name is Deacon. I had decided on this prior to noticing the character Deacon, and because of it decided that I'd write into his background that his father named him after that person. Out of character it was completely unrelated.

Re Exotic Background: Yup, planning on it. As for the sole survivor aspect, it might be more accurate to say his mother believed herself to be the sole survivor. People who survive satellites crashing aren't in the best position to go looking for other survivors, and that's on top of un-bonded nanite vials finding their way into local wildlife or being recovered by salvagers to sell.

Re Synth: kk

Re Armorist: I went with the Whitesmith archetype for Armorist specifically to avoid the 'matter from nothing' problem. Whitesmith focuses on the Enhancement sphere, and allows them to maintain a number of enhancements on their own gear equal to half their class level. This would be the nanites being housed in weapons and enhancing them via increased durability, sharpness, and ionization. My current build does include three levels of scrapper though

On a note for roles, with only a modest shift I could cover the sneak role if no one else does. Face is also within reach with some modifications (skill allocation, traits to swap stats used). Deacon has pretty decent agility, already planned on putting points into stealth (and I can up that to full ranks), and there are tech gizmos to further enhance that. And if I max out relevant skills and pick up some traits to swap out ability score modifier diplomacy and/or bluff aren't too tough to work in. I'd rather avoid trying to cover too many roles and being mediocre at all of them, but I figured I'd mention there's some wiggle room in my build since I'd planned to at least splash into these roles anyways. Always good to have a backup in case someone is incapacitated, or just needs an Aid Another.
Old 04-24-2020, 03:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
OK. Once people vote each other into the game, we'll know the final set of PCs. At that point, picking feats, skills, gear, etc. occurs -- and final tweaks might be made if something is conspicuously missing from the set of players accepted and active at that time.

Yes -- Its always good to have a little backup for key functions.
Old 04-24-2020, 07:23 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar

Character Name: Deacon Kairos Player Name: AximusLokar Campaign: Crawl Out
Classes: GunslingerClockstopper^ 1, ArmoristWhitesmith, Martial Armorist^ 3, ArmigerAntiquarian^ 1 Race: Human (Half-Breed Vault/Railroad) Alignment: Chaotic Good
Size: Medium Age: 19 Gender: Male
Height: 6'1" Weight: 127lb Eyes & Hair: Blue eyes, red-orange hair

Ability Score Mod Temp Score Temp Mod
Strength 10 +0   
Perception 12 +1   
Endurance 12 +1   
Charisma 14 +2   
Intelligence 18 +4   
Agility 16 +3   
Luck 14 +2   

Traits:
Type Trait Short Description
Modern Scavenger +1 Disable Device, +2 Profession(Scrapper)
'Magic' Spark of Creation +1 craft, -5% 'magic' item creation cost
Social Student of Philosophy Use Intelligence for Diplomacy and Bluff. Does not apply to Gather Info or Feint.
Campaign Gifted +6 build points, but you receive 2 fewer skill points per character level.
Campaign One Hander +1 to hit with weapons held in one hand as long as the other hand is free (does not apply to unarmed attacks). -2 to hit with any two handed weapon.

Perks:
Learned In Use? Perk Name Short Description
Level 1 Hacker Gain +1 to Knowledge (technology). Gain 1 Technical Advancement (Computer Code Monkey, Computer Charm)
Level 1 Fortune Finder Each time you would calculate wealth at the start of a game or in between adventures, or when level advancing, you may calculate your wealth as if your Profession ranks were +4 higher and using your Luck instead of your Perception if Luck is higher. If this gives you more wealth (and it should), the positive difference in wealth can be found in caps when you discover treasure when you next go adventuring. Taking this multiple times multiplies the extra wealth found, but it does not continue to increase your profession bonus.
Level 2 ScrapperWeapons or technological gear can normally be converted to salvage worth 30% of their value. However, you can increase that by 15% each time this Perk is taken, up to 75% by taking this three times. Salvage can be used in jury rigging weapons and armor, and it can go toward paying the cost of crafting.
Level 2 Thrifty CrafterThe price of anything you craft is reduced by 5%.
Level 3 Amateur GunslingerGain +2 Grit and access to 1 gunslinger deed (Gunslinger Initiative)
Level 3 ToughenedGain DR 1/-
Level 4 Robotics Expert Gain a +1 Favored Enemy (Robots) bonus. Gain 1 Technical Advancement (Computer Stealth, Mechanic's Exocortex feature)
Level 4 Lead BellyGain 5 energy resistance to radiation and +2 fortitude saving throws when drinking anything with a harmful effect.
Level 5 Hacker Gain +1 to Knowledge (technology). Gain 1 Technical Advancement (Mechanic's Custom Rig feature, Mechanic Trick Portable Charging Station)
Level 5 ScrapperWeapons or technological gear can normally be converted to salvage worth 30% of their value. However, you can increase that by 15% each time this Perk is taken, up to 75% by taking this three times. Salvage can be used in jury rigging weapons and armor, and it can go toward paying the cost of crafting.

Last edited by AximusLokar; 04-30-2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:02 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@AximusLokar: "Most S.P.E.C.I.A.L. Perks can be taken multiple times, but each can be taken no more than once per four levels. (Once at 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th and 17th)." -- so you can only take the Scrapper perk twice, not 3 times.

Find an image for the character.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:33 PM
Posting Rate Slowed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1666
Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend Nevrend
This looks like fun.

If I get the time I will probably throw together an application. I will probably make either a face of some sort, or build a Elite forces of The Master's army in Fallout 1, they were skilled in stealth and utilized stealthboys to deadly effect. Unfortunately, stealthboy use adversely effects super mutant psyche. Most nightkin have been rendered insane by the time of the events of Fallout New Vegas.nightkin.

Last edited by Nevrend; 04-24-2020 at 08:34 PM.
Old 04-24-2020, 08:38 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
Ah, overlooked that. I'll switch out one of the perks. While I'm looking them over, can I get one clarification on if perks that boost your wealth, like Cap Collector and Fortune Finder, qualify as "a Perk that gives you a permanent benefit e.g. Local Leader, Idiot Savant)"? I could see that going either way and I have a few like that (effectively my current perks are split between 'downtime' scrapping and 'exploration' combat perks).

Re Image: I...did? It's in with physical description like in the template.

Old 04-25-2020, 10:41 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@AximusLokar - yes, I see the picture.

As to which perks are non-swappable:

The Special Perks come (mostly) adapted from Fallout 4, while the concept of swappable Perks come from Fallout 76. The two systems don't perfectly mesh. The mechanics of swapping, and which/when Perks become unswappable is something that I didn't fully think through, so I've rewritten it as follows:

It takes 10 minutes of mental focus to swap out any one (or more) deployed Perks and replace them with another. However, you cannot swap out a Perk that gives you a permanent benefit. If a Perk gives you an ability score bonus, a feat, class abilities, skills, etc. then swapping out the Perk means temporary loss of those and anything for which they were a prerequisite.

Non-swappable perksThese are always non-swappable: Attack Dog, Local Leader, Idiot Savant.

If you use the following to increase your starting wealth, they become non-swappable (as they've given you a substantial, permanent benefit): Cap Collector, Fortune Finder, Scrounger. If you treat them as active only after initial character creation, they are swappable.

The Intelligence Perks that provide Technical Advancement are non-swappable if they give permanent equipment (such as an exocortex) or a permanent companion (such as a drone).

On your character sheet, tag such Perks as [non-swappable].
Old 04-25-2020, 10:58 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I updated the applicant status list (#2) of this post. Hyregoth withdrew, Nevrend expressed interest, AximusLokar's is substantially done (maybe pending tweaking.)

Last edited by CatCanCook; 04-25-2020 at 11:34 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 10:59 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Hi Nevrend, welcome!
Old 04-25-2020, 11:18 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
Okay, I'll double check my perks.

Followup on the Exocortex. It grants Weapon Specialization in Longarms at 3rd level. The reason it only gives it in Longarms is because by default a Mechanic already gains Weapon Specialization in all proficient weapons at 3rd level (and Mechanics are only proficient in Longarms due to the Exocortex in the first place). Could this be swapped to Small Arms instead?
Old 04-25-2020, 11:47 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@AximusLokar, Weapon Specialization is a class ability, and all Mechanic class abilities need to be purchased using Technical Advancement via investing Perks. So it does not come automatically.

Substituting short arm (pistols) for longarms is fine, when you take that.

Either a drone or an exocortex is like an animal companion or cohort in that it advances alongside as you progress.

Last edited by CatCanCook; 04-25-2020 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 11:52 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
That advancement is what I'm talking about.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mechanic
Your exocortex provides you with enhanced combat ability, granting you proficiency with heavy armor and longarms. At 3rd level, you gain weapon specialization in longarms just as if your class granted proficiency. As a move action during combat, you can designate a foe for your exocortex to track. As long as that target is in sight, the exocortex feeds you telemetry, vulnerabilities, and combat tactics, allowing you to make attacks against that target as if your base attack bonus from your mechanic levels were equal to your mechanic level. Designating another target causes you to immediately lose this bonus against the previous target.
Unless I'm missing something Exocortex would give this, Memory Module, and Wireless Hack at the start of the game as long as Knowledge(Engi) is maxed out.