Other Ultraviolet Grasslands: Neon Wanderers & Porcelain Gods - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-06-2020, 12:58 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5387
TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral
Ultraviolet Grasslands: Neon Wanderers & Porcelain Gods

Ultraviolet Grasslands:
Neon Wanderers & Porcelain Gods

That's me
That's it
That's life
Go go go.
-Birdy Nam Nam - The Parachute Ending

The Left End of the Right RoadA world begins when it emerges from the mists of time. So it is with the civilizations of the Rainbowlands—which mark their count from when the Long Ago ended and the Now began.

The Rainbowlanders are the humans of a later era, undisputed masters of the fertile lands around the Circle Sea, dwellers in the Eye of Creation.

They come in many shapes, colours, creeds, and faiths. They pile unkempt technology and misremembered lore together into a teetering whole. They rule the settled lands under their polychrome deities of ill-repute.

This story is not theirs. This story begins at the edge of their world, at the Left End of the Right Road. At the westernmost outpost of humanity, the Violet City: bastion against the hordes, entrepôt to the exotic sunset lands, and last port of civilization before the trackless steppe studded with the detritus of the Long Ago.

The last glimmer of the Rainbow before the skin-blistering glow of the Ultraviolet Grasslands.

Theme A merry band of weirdos each pursing their own strange goals venture out into the vast and unknown Grasslands for fame, fortune, and glory. Whether their caravan fails or succeeds, they will impact the world in ways beyond comprehension.

Flavor Heavy Metal + Zardoz + Mad Max + The Good, The Bad, The Weird + Six String Samurai +Every Technobarbarian B Film + Everything Jean Giraud. Here is your Appendix N

What the hell is this? The Ultraviolet Grasslands is part setting, part system, part psychedelic artbook by genius designer Luka Rejec. It is Numenera if you passed it through a filter of LSD, fever dreams, and 70's metal. It is a journey through The Weird.

This is a place where limey steppelanders ride metal autogolems through broad plains, brandishing swords and laser pistols while great crystalline behemoths pursue close behind. Where a man can sell his companions souls to a bio-metallic fuel station for a sackfull of cat-coffee or an errant look above the horizon could burn your shadow into the salt-flats and leave your mind a wandering radiation ghost.

We will be taking a walk through the sandbox of the End of Creation and hopefully getting stupidly wealthy in the process.

The Cat The System packaged with UVG is the so called SEACAT, standing in for the 6 main stats: Strength, Endurance, Agility, Charisma, Aura, and Thought. Right now, you don't really need to know more than that about the system as we can easily learn as we go along. Most actions are familiar to what you have in d20 games like 5e or 13th Age, and many aspects are geared towards finding Advantage or Disadvantage for actions. Leveling in SEACAT is about investment of XP and random/organic progression over linear progression, I personally feel this makes the act of leveling more exciting because you never absolutely know what you might get next.

Here is my proposal to you: There are 4 systems I can easily run this in: 5e, SEACAT, Troika!, and GLOG. I would VASTLY prefer to run the latter three but I understand that new systems can be intimidating. Troika! and GLOG are both simple systems but are both very strange. That said, I've legitimately never had more fun with any other system than these two. I will leave it in y'all's hands.

Regardless this is a game focused on discovery and exploration over combat, though fighting against giant beasts, maniacs on wheels, and avatars of cosmic consciousnesses will still be a thing.

Here is the Player's Guide, just enough of a taste get you going. Page 15 has some of the weird and wonderful quasi-para-post humans you will be able to play as.

The App Short but evocative is what I'm looking for here, give me a flavorful sketch of what we might be able to develop further together. I want the mouth watering appetizer not the full 12 course dinner. Feel free to randomly generate from the guide as well.

Name: One befitting your character!

Concept: A rough character concept that tells me and others who your character is. You don't have to commit to a particular mechanical race or class here - but feel free to drop ideas of which way you might want to go. Remember things such as single personalities possessing multiple bodies, intelligence made of light riding crystal space-suits, dwarves that run on diesel, and Grassland-Greasers are all valid possibilities in this setting.

Want: What does this character openly want? Why is it in the Ultraviolet Grasslands?

Need: What does this character secretly need? Do you suppose the journey or the destination will fulfill this need?

Q&A For answering all your question as they come.

Sample Character
left-aligned image
Name: SynthW Loggerhead 2-Dopplebody

Concept: A laid-back Porcelain Prince who sought to surf the Circle Sea beyond the Violet City and taste the Vampire-Wines of the Red Lands, however the Grasslands are calling them back into its fold.

Wants: To experience new and strange highs, to risk a trip to the Recycling Infinity of Nothingness in pursuit of those highs.

Needs: They lost their third body in an attempt to surf the storms around the Needle and feel incomplete without it. Just before their third body smashed into the base of the Needle, it received a vision of of a great Black Obelisk far beyond the Grassland that tempted untold and unfathomable pleasures. SynthW Loggerhead 2-Dopplebody would do anything to reach the source of their vision.

Applicants

Last edited by TheLawfulNeutral; 07-09-2020 at 09:03 PM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:15 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16937
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
This is so trippy... I’m still trying to make sense of it... I think I need this in my life. I will read further and put something worthy together.
Edit: I tried but alas I am unable to make head or tales of the material! I shall withdraw.

Last edited by Begon Ugo; 07-10-2020 at 08:07 AM.
Old 07-06-2020, 01:20 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral TheLawfulNeutral
Hopefully by the end of this you still can't make sense of it and you still feel like you've had a hell of a ride!
Old 07-06-2020, 06:05 PM
gro-Zug

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8059
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
Like a scavenging jackal loping along in the wake of a hunting Buer, I come to apply to another one of TLN's awesome and weird game ideas.

While I've seen approximately 0.5% of the material in that flavor appendix, I like to think I've been following UVG for long enough that I 'get' it. Or maybe I just think I do, and I'm won over the rest of the way by the steppe nomad and desolate beauty appeal- which is fine by me. Do you have any suggestions for thematic music?

I'm going to put my vote toward using SEACAT, assuming this thread is a democracy. It's pretty simple, and there are a number of concepts that make it similar enough to my understanding of 5E that switching over should be pretty easy. I'd be a novice too, but that's okay. Despite all the meaty terror and confusion TLN's games can bring to bear, he's very gentle with newbies.
left-aligned image

OiudoName: Oiudo'qa'i-Twists-In-The-Wind-Before-Naa'a

Concept: A mildly synesthetic shaman of the bitter and chartreuse Papeda clan who traveled to the Violet City on a haze-fueled vision quest, only to be called back out onto the steppe by the endless, distorted bassline thrumming inside of their skull. Has a very nice mask made from the bones of some plastic beast.

Want: To keep people from touching their mask. To tame and ride a mythical ess'uu'vee beast through bladed grass. To grok enough of the world's edge that the false triality of hakaba melts away and crystallizes into perfect, pinpoint oneness.

Need: To crack their skull open like a cosmic egg and give wings to the riff that will sing the ancestors beyond the stars back awake. To stay away from any more spliffs of purple haze after that last episode with the cat and the radiothermal trimmer.
Old 07-06-2020, 08:31 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
Here is a list of inspiring music suggested by the author/artist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis..._RyyRDV9NKr0G7

Zug, you know just how to pull me in, you limey sonuvavome.
Old 07-06-2020, 11:21 PM
An Actual Goat

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14465
Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer Atalla Wanderer
That artwork is amazing, and the rainbow words make me squirm.

Obviously, this Grozug human is a knockout writer. I second them for the game.

And of course, any prospective players that peek in, this is Tuln, aka TheLawfulNeutral, and you shalln't go wrong with them as your DM. Tuln is S-class. (That's above A, ya know?)
Old 07-07-2020, 11:04 AM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks AW!
Old 07-09-2020, 06:21 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Cap Ut
I know nothing about it, but the craziness of the concept is really appealing. I should be able to write something down by the end of day, provided I manage to get a grasp of this madness.
Old 07-09-2020, 10:02 AM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
Don’t attempt to grasp it for it will flow through your fingers like technicolor slime. Give into the flow and let it carry you away.
Old 07-09-2020, 12:49 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
I've got a fragmentary glossary here to help inspire you. Remember, this is an Anticanon world where the history is fragmentary and subject to change per our combined whimsy.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthread.php?p=8824555

Last edited by TheLawfulNeutral; 07-09-2020 at 01:20 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 02:28 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Cap Ut
Tizio / SempronioName: Tizio Caio / The Greatly Tremendously Mighty Sempronio

Concept: Tizio was a seemingly ordinary young man of humble conditions before he got struck by a lightning. Since then, he has had to share his body with the boisterous Sempronio, who claims to be an interdimensional god binded to the mortal realm by some kind of curse.

Want: Tizio is looking for any spell, tech or compound that could get Sempronio out.
Sempronio is looking for any spell, tech or compound that could get him out.

Need: Tizio hopes he'll find a way to stand up to the aristocrat Mevio and the rest of his abusive circle.
Sempronio would greatly enjoy tormenting those arrogant jerks.

Last edited by Cap Ut; 07-09-2020 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-09-2020, 09:04 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for your application!
Old 07-09-2020, 10:05 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3125
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
I've got a full plate of games and submitted apps, so there's no way I could commit to another at this point. But I did want to say "Bravo!" This looks like such a creative and engaging game. I hope you gather a great group to give it the trippy life it deserves.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:08 PM
Dura Lex Sed Lex

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks BB, I really appreciate it!

Anyone who is interested in a SEACAT character sheet, I've got a Google Docs version of set up!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing
Old 07-10-2020, 09:16 PM
gro-Zug

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8059
Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug Grozug
Marmalade! Fillable sheets for the smaller or more niche game systems are always a precious resource.