Other 1,000,000 Ways to Die in the Weird West (Modern AGE) - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 10th, 2020, 01:44 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 226
Trae Trae Trae
Name: Adahy
Race: Deer
Ethnicity: Adahy hails from the First Nation tribe known as the Cherokee.
Image/Appearance: Adahy is an anthropomorphic white-tailed deer, standing approximately six feet tall, though the rack of 8-10 point antlers may add to that. His fur is a lovely brown color all along his back, arms, legs, and the topside of his modest tail. From under his chin all along the front and below the waist is the typical white one would find on such a creature. The clothing he wears a fairly simple tan vest and wide loincloth, both of which are made of cotton. Simple accessories are included such as beaded necklace and bracelets, leather armbands above his biceps, and one of his ears is pierced with a ring that has several feathers attached. The deer often carries two weapons with him, a bow and quiver of arrows at his back and a small knife at his hip. He may also carry a medicine pouch strapped over the shoulder with the bag hanging at the hip opposite the knife. ( Image location:https://static1.e621.net/data/82/b8/...bc0f051214.jpg Artist is Wookie. Please note that the image in question was originally NSFW and has been cropped.)
Party Role: Alchemy/shaman powers? Trader
Level: 1
Powers: I don't mind playing the role of a healer of sorts, and can see Adahy creating natural poultices and the blessings of the spirit of the land (Healing Arcana) to help keep the party alive. Also skilled with a dagger and a bow, though intrigued by the concept of firearms.
Alignment: Neutral Good. This character very much allows a person's words and actions to define them and he will treat with them accordingly. If they seem to be just and worthy of respect, he's happy to work with them. If they're obviously abusing the power they have to get what they want and harming people in the process, he'll be very wary of them, but won't act against them alone. He's willing to adhere to the local law of wherever location he's in, but is also willing to do what he can to help someone in need (or the other PCs).
Backstory: Adahy has grown up all his live in the Virginian wilderness among the Cherokee tribe of the First Peoples. His parents were some of the first fur-kin to grace the land after The Event occurred (I'm guessing about 20 years ago?) and he's grown up listening to tales of the before times and how so much has changed in a short period of time. He's spent much of his live with his tribe, learning all about the wilds and the spirits that inhabit them. He was raised to shoot with bow and arrow and to use a knife if necessary, but he also learned much about the local flora and their medicinal properties. When he was old enough, Adahy also joined a few trading sorties with other tribes and nations, learning about the other cultures so different to his own as well as picking up key words in their languages. When allowed to perform minor trades on his own, he would also offer his services to help with minor odd jobs in towns and villages to learn even more and prove himself to be of use. A little extra currency or trade goods to bring home was never a bad thing either.

Profession: Explorer
Drive/Goals: Ecstatic There's so much to do and see in this world. How could he justify staying in one place?

Last edited by Trae; Jul 16th, 2020 at 11:28 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 05:28 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1632
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
Kariena Application!
right-aligned image
Not a 1:1, but close for now until I can hopefully get an art drawn!!

Name: Kariena.
Race: Primal Wolf.
Ethnicity: Fae.
Image/Appearance: Massive, strapped with muscle, and sheathed in a plush pelt of a dark, earthy fur, Kariena bears all the appearance of a physical manifestation of raw, bestial strength. Every movement surges her voluminous pelt, the thick muscle rolling powerfully beneath her hide. For all that she could be a terrifying sight, her demeanor and airs is more that of a surprisingly docile lupine, sparking to animated glee when the likelihood of combat arises. She is otherwise pleasant, if a bit simple, and the extent of her capacity to communicate is done via animalistic sound and crude pantomime.

She may be attractive, if the bestial qualities does not deter. She is absolutely towering despite the hunched stance she stays in when upright, corded with slabs of steely sinew, and her physicality errs toward the wolfen with a mild bend toward the humanoid; healthily endowed and bereft of vestments, the fact that most men and women find themselves at chest-level with her can be socially awkward, but when one figures in the range of tons she weighs and the fact that she stands in excess of ten feet when fully erect, such pronounced distractions tend to be unavoidable. Her sole garment is a wide leather collar around her throat, worn smooth and featureless but for the faded imprint of her name; there is no latch to the collar and no seam or stitch can be found, and though it doesn't choke or discomfort her it is too snug to slide off from about her head. She's sleek, clean, and well-groomed, with the shaggy expanse of her fur providing adequate modesty.

Party Role: Meat shield, melee enthusiast, muscle-bound powerhouse.
Level: 1!
Powers: I still need to read the SRD (I work one more day then have two weeks vacation, yay, I bought it but can better peruse it then!) but if it's a viable use of 'powers', I might see about grabbing a few to use as the Hound's supernatural abilities (think something like a demoralizing howl, or pounding the ground hard enough to knock enemies off their feet, and the like.) Otherwise, no powers!
Alignment: Chaotic Neutral Chaotic Good.

Backstory:

Profession: Errant Hound of the Wild Hunt.
Drive/Goals: Penance. Salvation. The death of the God-King Lincoln.
Role-playing Samples:

Last edited by Verdant Glitter; Jul 12th, 2020 at 12:23 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 02:33 PM
Life's too short

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4873
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Li Jie - Demon Hunter
right-aligned image
Li Jie
Mashup of a ceramic Zhong Kui doll
and the cover Cowboy from the
T.V. Olsen book “Gunswift”
(It’s hard to find Chinese Demon Cowboy images)
Name: pron. Lee Gee
Surname first
Li Jie
Race: Tiefling/Half-demon
Ethnicity: Chinese Australian
Image/Appearance: Jie has skin of an unearthly brown shade giving him a weathered complexion. In truth, his half-demon heritage has warped his natural features, giving him brown skin, piercing, crazed dark eyes, short backwards curving horns and shocks of stiff hair and beard. Jie’s hygiene is lacking as being on the run leads to alternate priorities. People meeting him for the first time usually keep their distance, which is fine for the aloof Jie.

Years ago, when he’d first arrived in Australia from Guangdong province, he wore the ordinary garb of his people but now he wears commonly available clothes and a cowboy hat to cover his short horns.

Jie carries his father Jian’s dao imagedao, his most prized possession.

Until recently Jie has lived in Australia among rough miners. His accent speaking English is a strange mélange of his native tongue and the Australian drawl with just a faint echo of American frontier-speak creeping in.

Party Role: Magic, investigation and knowledge of the supernatural. I like to play casters that can solve varied problems so ideally would like a broader spread of spells. I envisage Jie as having an intimidating persona and use stand-over tactics versus evil folk and creatures.

Level: 1

Powers: Power Arcana if we’re to not vary from the ruleset. I imagined Jie might have detection and abjuration powers as well as a magical attack. Maybe that will wait some levels.

Alignment: Chaotic Good. Jie ran from mob justice, killing many on his way. His scruples are good, but don’t cross him. He’s a protector of good folk and an enemy of bullies, corrupt and… demons. As he’s shown before, he has a terrible and unforgiving wrath.

Background: LabourerGold Prospector.
Profession: InvestigatorBounty Hunter, Demon Slayer and Protector.
Drive/Goals: ProtectorRedemption through protection of good people. A strange motivation to mimic Zhong Kui. Coin to send to his family. Coin for drink. If ever there was an evil demon lord oppressor, he’d be hot on its heels.

Role-Playing Samples:

Posting rate: slow Yawning PortalOath of Sangus

Last edited by Niyaga; Jul 15th, 2020 at 10:59 AM.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 08:11 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4456
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Loving the apps so far!! Thanks to everyone who's taken the time and effort.

Heads up to all who've started apps or been lurking I tweaked the advert with some spoiler buttons and more art to clean it up and make it easier/for entertaining to read. Nothing substantive has been changed, though.
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 08:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1644
Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco Thaco
I'm working on an application, but I need some clarity on how "the Event" affected people at the time is occurred. You say in the advert "More than half of humanity has had their essence forcibly and irrevocably altered, awakening all manner of new species."

Does this mean that people who were perfectly normal humans were "transformed" into elves, dwarves, etc.? Or did humans keep on being human, but the next generation spawned as all sorts of different types of creature?
Old Jul 10th, 2020, 09:46 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaco View Post
Does this mean that people who were perfectly normal humans were "transformed" into elves, dwarves, etc.? Or did humans keep on being human, but the next generation spawned as all sorts of different types of creature?
The former. Transformations occurred over the course of days or weeks (depending on the individual) wherein the afflicted fell into a violent, hallucinatory illness. Those that survived found themselves changed forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trae
I'm guessing about 20 years ago?
And while we're on the subject, Trae hit it right on the head! The Event occurred on July 4th, 1864. About 21 years prior to the start of the game and exactly 88 years to the day after the official adoption of the Declaration of Independence.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 12:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1822
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Hello, I am also new to this system but it sounds pretty manageable from reading over the rulebook. I've only had experience with D&D 3.5, but I'm eager to try this out and be a part of what sounds like a really cool idea. As far as RP samples, I've got one for this character, and one that I had submitted for another game which I didn't get into. I look forward to being considered!

Application
left-aligned image
Name: Dr Reinhold Sturgis, age unknown, presumed late 30s

Level/Race: Level 1 Human (angel???)

Ethnicity: Appears to be a white male. According to people he has talked to, he is in a small town in the Western Protectorate, although he holds no allegiance.

Appearance: A tall, thin, gangly-limbed man, with short blond hair and a smooth – in fact, unblemished – pale face. His small turned-up nose makes his bright blue eyes appear larger by contrast. His features seem at odds with the harshness of the environment around him, and it is as though he has spent no time outdoors. His dress is professional, and he carries a small leather satchel containing medical supplies. In addition to this, he carries an umbrella, which seems at odds with the dry climate. It is also oddly sharp…

(Photo credit: https://www.trendhunter.com/trends/umbrella-sword)

Background/Specialization: Academic. Having woken up in a cave with no memory of who he is or how he got there, Reinhold has spent the last ten years searching for clues to his identity. In this, he has pored over countless books, newspapers, and other periodicals. The only clue to assist him is a photograph of two men, one of whom resembles his own face.

(Photo credit: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/263319909437399599/)

Profession: Upper Class – Expert (Doctor). The photo he found in his pocket of two men had a name on it: Dr. Reinhold Sturgis. The man the name points to has his same face, so by inference he knows he must be a doctor. As he began to search for answers in libraries along the way, he found that, although the sciences seemed to come easy, medical knowledge and anatomy seemed to be as second nature to him as breathing. From this, he determined he was a physician, though one without specialty.

Drive/Goal: Protector. This character’s goal is to discover his past and who he is while trying to serve his patients at his medical practice. There is also the question of why he has visions of winged beings glowing white and floating aloft over a blackened field…

Alignment: “Primum non nocere” is the Hippocratic oath that all doctors must take, but for Dr. Sturgis, it is truly his lifestyle. Others would consider him a pacifist, because he appears to be weak and shows no aggression even when provoked by others. Some might even call him a coward for not taking the bait when insulted. Nor is it in his nature to question matters of law, save for where the law itself appears to go against his morality. The reality is that, while not aggressive, Reinhold *can* be provoked, particularly when it comes to defending people in his care or people who are otherwise unable to defend themselves. In these instances, any thoughts of self-preservation are secondary to the defense of his charges.

Ties: Many of the townsfolk, as well as passing strangers, have either gotten medical advice from Dr. Sturgis, or are direct patients of his at his small clinic. However, it is rather strange for a man to not know his past, and this makes forming strong relationships difficult. Nevertheless, he is friendly and quick to offer help. His only real companion/friend in his life is Julie Crenshaw, a 38 year old prostitute-turned-nursing assistant, who he left behind in the town of Eureka Springs, Arkansas.

Party role: Healer, investigator, researcher, moral compass

Focus ideas: Intelligence (biology), Intelligence (chemistry), Intelligence (earth science), Intelligence (history), Intelligence (medicine), Intelligence (occultism), Intelligence (research), Perception (empathy), Perception (searching), Willpower (faith), Willpower (courage), Willpower (self-discipline)

Talent ideas: Advanced Medicine, Emergency Care, Expertise (research), Inspire, Knowledge, Protect, Single Weapon Style, Theory and Practice,

Stunt ideas: Guardian angel, Precise force, Vicious blow, Knock out, (Core) Parry, Disarm, Investigation stunts. (Stunts that would maim/kill go against the character’s nature)

Power ideas: Healing Arcana, Protection Arcana

Last edited by Noquarter19; Jul 16th, 2020 at 07:08 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 03:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
I'm prowling through the manual (there's a lot to unpack in here!) and I'm at the Background/Profession/Drive part; should we include in the app what's appropriate for the character? Some of these can be, uh, tweaked, I think, for the character, but I'm not sure if the dice roll chart is something we can just pick from, or if it's the three benefits listed at the end of each one (Ability/Focus/Talent), or if it's the dice chart benefit PLUS the Ability/Focus/Talent. Or is that something we should wait until selections are made and we're actually building the character sheet?

Phew there's a lot in this manual.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 08:48 AM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome @Noquarter! I love the art for Sturgis and the thin doctor with a sword umbrella concept

Just as a reminder for everyone, I'm definitely reading all of your apps (and loving them btw), but I will not be providing any feedback until you ask me or until you mark your application as "complete". Until one of those two things happen I'm assuming you're still working on it and not ready to hear from me.

@Verdant There is certainly a lot of choices when it comes to character creation and advancement, that's kind of why I latched onto the system in the first place. So many options without locking you into a "class" means you have near-unlimited control and customization! Once you get past that and into gameplay it's (basically) roll 3d6 to hit a target number, then if you succeed and roll doubles you get to do cool extra stunts. There's more going on behind the scenes with investigations and social shifts and the like, but that's mainly for the GM to set up and I'll be laying all that out in each post so it's easy to follow and because I really enjoy tinkering with the minutiae of mechanics and laying them out in an orderly fashion.

Don't worry too much about adding the specific mechanics into your application. If you want to, great! But what I'd really like to see at this stage is a well-developed character concept and we can worry about defining that in the system later. If you want to dive into that stuff, check the last spoiler button in the advert as it has most of the character creation guidelines laid out for you. To answer your specific question see the top of page 14:
Background RulesYour character's background provides the following benefits:
  • +1 to an ability score.
  • A choice of one of two ability focuses.
  • A choice of one of two talents.
  • A roll on the benefits table for the background, giving the character one additional benefit.

You would get all of the benefits listed here. I'm not forcing you to roll randomly for your PC's Social Class Background, or Profession. You can pick your own. The only thing I will be asking you to roll for is the Background's random benefit. And we'll be doing all die rolling for Abilities and the random benefit during character creation so don't get too far ahead of the game

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Jul 11th, 2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 10:02 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6646
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Moldy I believe my application should be complete open to review.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 10:39 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1822
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Thank you for the kind welcome, I guess I should have remembered to mark mine as complete, and I'd appreciate the feedback.
Old Jul 11th, 2020, 11:12 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
Dr. Reinhold Sturgis

My impressions on Grigory will come next!

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Jul 11th, 2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 12:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I think mine is ready for an initial survey! I think I got everything that needs be got, anyway. :o
Old Jul 12th, 2020, 04:58 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics

Old Jul 12th, 2020, 05:13 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics