Other 1,000,000 Ways to Die in the Weird West (Modern AGE) - Page 4 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 16th, 2020, 03:57 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1016
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Second RP sample is up...it's a short one, but I think it suits shedding a little light on Charles's personality type xD
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 08:26 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4456
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
@olhado I put up the free SRD in the advert, take a look and apply if you like! Applications are by no means required to include game mechanics. A solid character concept and some good writing are worth much more! Rules can come later.

To all the others that have added to their applications I hope to have time to read them over this weekend. Thank you all for your interest!!
Old Jul 16th, 2020, 09:06 PM
Life's too short

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4873
Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga Niyaga
Psst… hey look! It’s Elvis!

Posting rate: slow Yawning PortalOath of Sangus
Old Jul 19th, 2020, 02:55 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 476
olhado olhado olhado olhado olhado
Application status
COMPLETED!

(Well, i might do a tweak here or there, but mostly some attempts at the mechanical bits.)

Barnabus Wheelock
I know Background, Profession, Goals, and Powers are supposed to be based on real game mechanics, but the quickstart doesn't have specifics, and though I have The Expanse RPG (also based on Modern AGE), I'm not sure how well a future settings crunch will translate.

right-aligned image

Name: Barnabus "Yankee Tom" Wheelock

Race: Human, fused to the spirit of Nereus, the "Old Man of the Sea"

Ethnicity: Anglo-Saxon citizen of the Colonial Empire (New England)

Image/Appearance: A wiry older man standing 5'8", Barnabus dresses in his simple riding clothes and the standard rider skull cap, for one never knows when a new delivery job will be assigned. His skin is tanned and leathered by the many years on the harsh North Atlantic. His arms, back, and chest are covered with fresh tattoos of Greek letters and ocean creatures, both familiar and strange. It is said he spent so much time on the sea that even now a faint briny scent pervades his immediate location. True to form, Barnabus always has a pipe and tobacco handy.

Fidgeting and impatient when sitting around for very long (though smoking helps), Barnabus' eyes twinkle, and a smile breaks across his face, when he on the move. He speaks with the accent common to provincial New England folk, and because of this, most of his customers and acquaintances call him "Yankee Tom". He seems to have acquaintances in every podunk village, most of them those that appreciate the telling of a tall-tale the way only a sailor can, in an otherwise drear existence. He can always be heard, even in a crowd, though his voice never seems to rise above a smoke-infused whisper. Like any sailor, his language is frequently colorful. On his person, he carries a couple of Colt pocket revolvers, and an old boning knife with an inlaid walrus tusk handle from his seafaring days.

Party Role: The grizzled rogue. Master of reconnaisance, dealer in hard-earned wisdom, embodiment of tenacity, and not afraid to mix it up a little in a fight.

Level: 1

Powers: Limited shape-shifting (Changing size, webbed hands/feet, hair/eye color, making himself look younger or older), and uncanny empathy and command of animals, particularly horses, mules, donkeys, and the like.

Alignment: Neutral Good. As some one who has scrapped and suffered just to survive, his code is relatively simple:

- The first rule of life: Whether out on the prairie or the ocean, what needs to get done, gets done. Least of all if you want to make it to another sunrise.

All of the following rules should be considered in light of the First Rule.

- A competent sailor knows when he can't fight the breeze, but also when he can use a current to spite the wind.
- A proper New England sea captain returns respect with kindness and generosity. This world doesn't favor the soft, but cruelty is for the wicked.
- A mariner's word is his currency. Barnabus despises those liars and cheats who don't fulfill their end of a bargain.

Profession: Formerly a fisherman, now rider for the Pony Express, when not working towards his goals (see below).

Drive: Penitent/Survivor

Short/Medium-term goals:
- Survive
- Track down rumors of strange spirits and/or missing women
- Write letters to his daughter when in a town for any length of time

Overarching Goals:
- Finding and releasing the hidden and/or captured Nereids
- Release the spirit of Nereus the "Far Sea" (Pacific Ocean)
- Return home and be reconciled to his daughter Priscilla

Backstory:

Role Playing samples:

- https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...98#post7590798 (Read "Response to prompt #2")
- https://www.rpgcrossing.com/showthre...21#post7577921

Last edited by olhado; Jul 31st, 2020 at 12:24 AM.
Old Jul 20th, 2020, 04:53 PM
a bit like you and me

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3831
cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind cottontailwind
Question about arcane and psychic power usage in the Weird West/in Modern AGE in general

How evident is it to others when one uses an arcane or psychic power? E.g., obvious to the casual observer (vis a vis FF games’ particle effects and shouting of “Fira!”), or requiring an Expertise skill check such to either identify a spell being cast or to conceal the casting of one’s spell, or requiring a particular Talent to identify or conceal a casting?

No worries if this isn’t something to worry about this early or if it’s a detail expected to be finalized with the invited players later - I’m just over here daydreaming Weird West scenes until August 5th

Last edited by cottontailwind; Jul 20th, 2020 at 04:54 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 12:36 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 226
Trae Trae Trae
We still have a DM... right? Moooooldy!?
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 05:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I am almost done with my application. I need to add a bit about what happened out at sea.

But feedback in this form is appreciated as well.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 06:05 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds MoldyNolds
@olhado I'm so glad you decided to submit a character. Barnabus sounds amazing!

@cottontailwind This is one of the reasons why I liked the idea of bringing my custom world setting into pbp. Your question is just one of a thousand things I haven't had time to define, mostly because I haven't considered it yet and welcome the thought process. I would say magic and psychic powers could manifest just about however you want them to for your individual PC and, in the world at large, those manifestations come in all shapes, sizes, colors, displays, smells, etc...

The average civilian could most likely identify when someone is doing something "hinky", and be suspicious of it, though unless they had some familiarity with it they wouldn't know specifically what spell you're casting, or possibly not even be able to identify it as "magic", instead just chalking it up to the craziness of the West.

Mechanically speaking, if you wanted to cast a spell without those nearby knowing you are doing so I'd say off the top of my head that would require some kind of check in conjunction with the normal spell roll. Could be Stealth, Sleight of Hand, Deception, or another Focus if you can justify it. Obviously conjuring a Fire Blast would be much more conspicuous than, say, a Psychic Sensing, so the TN of the check would vary depending on which power you're trying to keep on the down low. The Talent "Expertise (Focus)" could be applied to this as well with something like "Expertise (Stealth, Psychic)" or "Expertise (Fire Arcana, Silent Casting)". Alternatively, I would not be opposed to re-defining a rank in a talent somewhere along your chosen path, or perhaps developing an entirely new talent devoted solely to subtle casting!

@trae Not to worry, I'm still here! It's been a crazy 4-5 days in the real world.

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Jul 21st, 2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 06:31 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 07:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Old Jul 21st, 2020, 09:50 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 226
Trae Trae Trae
Yay the DM is back! I hope your days weren't too bad. I can understand when things get crazy. I'm also full of any answers to questions you may have about me or my character.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 03:30 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
@olhado You didn't really ask a direct question, but since I'm in a "rules discussion" kind of mood right now while I'm twiddling my thumbs at work I figure I would get into your wonderings on Barnabus' Powers a bit. The animal empathy I think is covered well enough under the Animal Training Talent and/or the Animal Handling Focus. If you're looking for more in that regard I'm certainly willing to talk homebrew Talents to get a bit deeper with it.

The shapechanging is a different story. I double-checked all the Talents, Specializations, and Powers and I'm actually really surprised to see there's absolutely nothing regarding shapechanging or some kind of beast form. We'll definitely have to create something from scratch, but I like doing that stuff anyways so if you make the cut then don't feel like you're a burden in that regard.

@Trae I don't think I have any specific questions, but if you have more to say about Adahy then please feel free to add it to your app!

Last edited by MoldyNolds; Jul 22nd, 2020 at 03:30 PM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 07:03 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@MoldyNolds We can talk on what it would take to get something like the shapeshifting I am envisioning. And it really is "shifting" more than "changing".

As for the animal talents, I am thinking it is more than just a talent of competence. At a limited level, Barnabus can communicate (in both directions) with animals. Horses and beasts of burden and the like the best, but possibly a little more with other common animals. I don't see it really extending to Weird Abominations or things outside of mammals or birds.

I've got the handbook now, so I might be able to answer some of this myself!
Old Jul 22nd, 2020, 07:51 PM
Dripping with Alchemy

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by olhado View Post
I've got the handbook now, so I might be able to answer some of this myself!
Very nice!

@Herb I know you mentioned you had a second RP sample, thanks! Should I mark your app as complete in the table?
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 06:28 PM
Emotionally void Runner

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1016
Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb Herb
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoldyNolds View Post
Very nice!

@Herb I know you mentioned you had a second RP sample, thanks! Should I mark your app as complete in the table?
Yup I've completed it for now