User Statistics
RPXP: 1194
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Ancient Keoland

Game NameAncient Keoland
Game SystemDnD 5e
Thememedieval fantasy; traditional D and D
Flavourhalfway from grim to noble; halfway from dark to bright
Plot SummaryFour times. Four times your doughty band of mercenaries has led caravans from Niole Dra down to Sayre and thence along the edge of the Dreadwood to Gradsul on the Azure Sea. Four trips down with the produce of field and forest, and three trips back with metals and other foreign goods. This fourth time, though, your Captain had a narrow escape and pledged to join a monastery if he got out of it alive. He's a novice, now, sitting on River Street with his begging bowl, and you're out of a job.

He paid you off quite fairly, though, and he gave you the horses you rode in his service and a couple of pack mules. And you think you know of a way to get a living, perhaps a better one than guarding one caravan after another.

You see, ancient Keoland is just that--ancient. Nearly a millennium ago, after the Twin Cataclysms, the Last Mage of Power led nine tribes of Suloise refugees over the mountains to a great valley whose human occupants were Flan hunter-gatherers. The Suloise absorbed them, as well as the Oeridians, who were at that time barbarians and who soon followed the Suloise into this new land. Now most folk are mixed blood, except for the Suloise nobility and a few pockets here and there. Oh, and there are people other than humans, too: elves, dwarves, gnomes, halflings and so on, all mostly going about their business in peaceful towns or bucolic countryside.

And all those folks got up to a lot of history in a thousand years. There are tombs and fortresses built and abandoned by any number of powers totally forgotten out there in the wilderness, just waiting for intrepid treasure hunters like you.

Well, most of them are forgotten. Some, unfortuneately, people have found.

You and a small band of your colleagues are standing near one such site, near two pillars sticking up from the edge of a misty ravine. One of those pillars has a rope around it that trails over the edge, which makes sense since another party of adventurers went missing here a month or so ago. Two of them were prominent young locals who were thoughtless enough to take their signet rings with them into the dungeon. The matriarch of their family will give you 125gp per character for each of the two rings, and she'll double it if you bring the young idiots back in reasonably good shape.

You look at those pillars and that rope, and each of you considers long and carefully. Do you turn around and ride back to town to look for work or take up some trade? Or do you go over the edge, and face the unknown?

Ancient Keoland is a campaign set in the southwest of Flanaess, on the world of Oerth in the Greyhawk universe. The adventures come from the 5th edition books Tales from the Yawning Portal and Ghosts of Saltmarsh, and the background comes from material from an earlier edition. Yeah, much earlier, but you don't really need to know about it--it's just flavor. There's a map on this web page--scroll down.

I'm looking at running a very traditional campaign for four or five active players who can post almost daily. I'll take more than that to start, figuring that we'll have a few dropouts. There's enough material in the books to get the characters from first level into the high teens. You will travel widely between adventure locations, and do a fair bit of roleplaying as well.

Be aware that Keolanders are a superstitious lot, and for most of the country's history arcane magic has been proscribed. Wizards and warlocks are likely to be met with suspicion, and sorcerers are mostly pitied. However, an arcane caster of some sort might come in quite handy during these adventures.

Dragonborn and Tieflings are not considered good company, either.

Temples are numerous and varied, but not particularly well patronized. Common deities include Heironeous, Phaulkon, St. Cuthbert, Fharlanghn, Ehlonna, Lydia, Osprem, Zilchus, Kord, Xerbo, Norebo, Olidammara and Trithereon, but your character should feel free to worship an uncommon god or pantheon--just don't look for a nearby temple where you can ask for help. Most nonhumans worship their standard pantheon: Moradin, Garl Glittergold, Corellon Larethian, and so forth.

DO NOT ROLL DICE IN THE AD THREAD!

RPGX management gets seriously peeved about that, so please just don't do it. I say again:

DO NOT ROLL DICE IN THE AD THREAD!

Please stick to the races in the Player's Handbook and use the class options and backgrounds given in the PHB and Xanathar's, plus class and background material (but not race information) from the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide--see the appendix (pp 156-157) for hints on adapting SCAG class options to Greyhawk. Variant humans are acceptable. Build your first level character using the standard attribute array (15,14,13,12,10 and 8) from page 13 of the PHB. You have the aforementioned horses and also two pack mules for the whole party, and each of you has one of the pack options on page 151 of the PHB, plus whatever your background gives you.

By way of application, please post an account of how your character came to be a caravan guard, and how they reacted to your Captain's career change. Also discuss why the idea of an adventuring career appeals to your character. Please put a link to your character sheet in the application--I usually use the D&D 5.0 sheet supplied by RPG Crossing.

Last day for applications is July 31st, 2020. Selection will be made by August 7, and I expect to start play on August 10th.

Who wants to play?

Last edited by Exfilia; 07-12-2020 at 11:12 PM.
Old 07-12-2020, 11:10 PM
Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 127
Night of Blood Night of Blood
Wow, I haven't played in Greyhawk in years. I'm gonna look at some stuff and see what might tickle my fancy
Old 07-12-2020, 11:58 PM
-.-- --- / .... ---

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3039
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Exfilia is an excellent GM—responsive, accommodating, witty and creative. For the past three months, she's been running a daily-post Curse of Strahd game for our group and hasn't missed a beat. Highly encourage RPG-Xers to apply to this one!
Old 07-13-2020, 02:23 AM
Adult Dragon Jedi

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2299
Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift Jasontheswift
What level to start ?
Old 07-13-2020, 06:49 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 819
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
SUBMITTED APP

Application
left-aligned image
Name: Vymani Sillafu
Race: Human Variant
Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul)
Background: Inheritor

Reaction to the captain's career change: Vymani understood, at a deep level, the idea of feeling a religious calling, so she didn't resent the Captain's decision at all. After all, this series of deliveries was probably the longest period of time she's kept one group of travelling companions since she left the Pale for the first time. On the other hand, she found it deeply surprising. Personally, Vymani could think of few things worse than spending the rest of your life in the same monastery, and he certainly didn't seem the type. Still, she thought, Given how much I love to see things that are new and different, I can hardly grouse when someone has a very different view to me on what constitutes the good life.

Why does adventuring appeal? Vymani loves variety, and no two dungeons are ever the same. Adventuring provides an opportunity to indulge her compulsion to travel. Additionally, she hopes to undertake the Endless Pilgrimage at some point, but would very much like to have saved up plenty of funds to do so, as well as improved her skills in order to safely traverse less oft-travelled parts of Oerth. She also hopes to locate the area depicted on her father's map, in order that she might return home just once more and tell her parents of her accomplishment.

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; 07-31-2020 at 11:00 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:51 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
Exfilia, do you want BIFT/Appearance/Personality in addition to the things you've asked for? And are the discussions meant to be IC or OOC? I wasn't sure.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by bananabadger View Post
Exfilia is an excellent GM—responsive, accommodating, witty and creative. For the past three months, she's been running a daily-post Curse of Strahd game for our group and hasn't missed a beat. Highly encourage RPG-Xers to apply to this one!
Only because I've had really cool players like BananaBadger and his mates! Thank you for the endorsement, my friend!
Old 07-13-2020, 06:54 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasontheswift View Post
What level to start ?
First. The books are written with that assumption.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:08 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOilCharmer View Post
WIP

Application
left-aligned image
Name: Vymani Sillafu
Race: Human Variant
Class: Sorcerer (Divine Soul)
Background: Inheritor

Reaction to the captain's career change: Vymani understood, at a deep level, the idea of feeling a religious calling, so she didn't resent the Captain's decision at all. After all, this series of deliveries was probably the longest period of time she's kept one group of travelling companions since she left Geoff for the first time. On the other hand, she found it deeply surprising. Personally, Vymani could think of few things worse than spending the rest of your life in the same monastery, and he certainly didn't seem the type. Still, she thought, Given how much I love to see things that are new and different, I can hardly grouse when someone has a very different view to me on what constitutes the good life.

Why does adventuring appeal? Vymani loves variety, and no two dungeons are ever the same. Adventuring provides an opportunity to indulge her compulsion to travel. Additionally, she hopes to undertake the Endless Pilgrimage at some point, but would very much like to have saved up plenty of funds to do so, as well as improved her skills in order to safely traverse less oft-travelled parts of Oerth. She also hopes to locate the area depicted on her father's map, in order that she might return home just once more and tell her parents of her accomplishment.
I love the glowing fingernails.

Interesting choice of native land, too. I know you'll work in something about the giant takeover. You could be a refugee, or from a family of freedom fighters, or an escaped slave. But you tell me. I don't want to impose anything on your character. If you choose to do so, feel free even to change your home area if you come up with a better idea. It's up to you.

As to your other post, anything you can tell us is helpful. Certainly your Bond and Flaw options would give me an idea of how your character would fit into the campaign.

From the Living Greyhawk Gazeteer"The land of Geoff is utterly devastated. Its villages are ghost towns, and armies of orcs and giants of all varieties have inhabited the cities, taking as slaves those humans they did not kill and eat. Few buildings have escaped ruin, and the land's forests are being harvested for unknown purposes. Nearly everything that once was Geoff has been erased. The giants hold all land from the Crystalmist mountains in all directions but east, where the Realstream, Dim Forest, Oytwood and Stark Mounds demarcate a chaotic, violent border with Gran March."

Last edited by Exfilia; 07-13-2020 at 07:15 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:16 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ooooh. No. I just was looking for a land that had mostly Flan people, because I wanted my character to be a WOC. I started with 5e, so I don't know Greyhawk, just spent a couple of hours reading up on it. Guess that's why it's WIP!
Old 07-13-2020, 07:19 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Cool article here with info about Keoland, and a map of just the kingdom as opposed to all of Greyhawk. It's a PDF.

**steals map**
Old 07-13-2020, 07:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnakeOilCharmer View Post
Ooooh. No. I just was looking for a land that had mostly Flan people, because I wanted my character to be a WOC. I started with 5e, so I don't know Greyhawk, just spent a couple of hours reading up on it. Guess that's why it's WIP!
Perhaps you could be from Sterich, just across the border with Keoland? Or an immigrant (or second generation) whose father made shoes in a village somewhere in Keoland while telling tales of the Old Country and the evil giants.
Old 07-13-2020, 07:47 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Nah, I have a plan: She's Palish. Which means she had to keep the signs of a god other than Pholtus hidden. That's fun RP! I'll just make her a few years older, to represent the fact that she'll have had to wander the Flanaess for years to get to Keoland.
Old 07-13-2020, 09:49 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5578
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Character Application
Name: Ivesynora Quinmoira
right-aligned image

Race: Half Elf
Class: Warlock (The Celestial)
Background: Criminal
Personality Traits: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.
I always have a plan for what to do when things go wrong.
Bond: Someone I loved died because of a mistake I made. That will never happen again.
Ideal: People. I’m loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)
Flaw: An innocent person is in prison for a crime that I committed. I’m okay with that.

Old 07-13-2020, 02:14 PM
Invictus

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Tranquil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfilia View Post
Cool article here with info about Keoland, and a map of just the kingdom as opposed to all of Greyhawk. It's a PDF.

**steals map**
This is a very welcome resource. Much appreciated. I often have trouble making a character that matches the setting if I don't have something like this to read through.