Old 07-13-2020, 04:47 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1209
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tranquil View Post
This is a very welcome resource. Much appreciated. I often have trouble making a character that matches the setting if I don't have something like this to read through.
I keep forgetting that not everyone started playing in the 1970s with three brown booklets out of a white box

Here's a map of all of Greyhawk which is VERY large but beautiful.

If you want to have wandered in from outside Keoland, this wiki might be useful, especially the Greyhawk Realms category.

Here's a list of links that might interest you.

And of course, WoC makes PDF copies of the original material I'm working from available on DriveThruRPG and similar sites, but I wouldn't go overboard--you won't need any of this except for character background. I'll clue you in in-game when you need geographic, historical or political information.

Last edited by Exfilia; 07-13-2020 at 04:48 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 05:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5578
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
I have the original Greyhawk boxed set and many other box sets I have had for 30 plus years.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:14 PM
Duke of Chanwood

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1823
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Dunstan Kemp, Aspiring Bard

"And when the ball was over,
Everyone confessed,
"The music was exquisite,
But the doin' was the best!""

Dunstan finished the bawdy song to much raucous cheering and hollering among the mercenaries. That particular one was always a winner, not only because it was a favorite among the rough band, but it also had a habit of chasing out the more sensitive types who might draw a pall on the evening's activites.

"Alright then, you lot! Another song then? A story! Naughty limericks?" He grinned and wiggled his fingers at the crowed at the last one, holding his worn, but well cared-for lute, away to the side. He enjoyed performing, and he knew that one day he would be able to complete his bardic training and compose the most epic lyrical work ever composed! Or at least be able to get free drinks at taverns.

Several suggestions for songs and stories were shouted out, and one attempt at a limerick about a man from Rel Mord. Before Dunstan could pick one, someone piped up with the question, "How about how you got here, Dunny?" Dunny was his nickname, which he hated, but knew far better than to let anyone know he hated it. It only came up during heavy drinking at this point. If the crew knew it bugged him, it would be non-stop. "Yeah," called out another, "what're ye doin' here wi' us, instead o' playin' fer all the pretty ladies?"

Dunstan laughed and retorted, "I figured you ladies were pretty enough!" This received a mixture of laughter, curses, and a few hurled items easily dodged. "How did I get here?" he pondered aloud. "It's a sordid tale, my friends..." He played a chord on his lute, recalling the day he left to join the caravan as combination guard and entertainment.

"I was playing a modest tavern, not unlike this one, in Eastfair a year or two ago. I was warming up the crowd for the paid performer, a daunting but challenging job, to be sure. Well, one man, a foppish little son of a...lordling...decided he didn't like my singing or my choice of songs, and said I should sing a real song or get off the stage."

With that, Dunstan smiled wistfully and strummed a moment, before continuing. "I, of course, chose the former. And just because the littlest noble had decided to help, I made up a song on the spot all about him!" He grinned as everyone laughed, and said, "And I'll sing that song for you tonight!"

WIP

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive

Last edited by Andor; 07-13-2020 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-13-2020, 06:25 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Tachikoma Tachikoma
Name: Brynn Leshko
Race: Human
Alignment: CN
Class: Fighter/Rogue
Background: Soldier
Traits: Right and wrong are for the history books. Seeing war and people killed for stepping on the wrong foot (sometimes literally) have made me very pragmatic. There are two kind of people, those who live and those who are dead. I intend to stay the former for as long as possible. If that means fighting "dirty" or stabbing someone in the back, so be it. Also choosing the right people to fight with is crucial, if I don't have their back, how can I expect them to cover mine?
Ideal: Live and let live. Ideals aren't worth killing over or going to war for (Neutral).
Bond: The underdog. Those who fight against all odds, those who stand up for themselves even if it might cost them everything.
Flaw: I have very little respect for anyone who is not a proven warrior.
Appearance: Brynn has a very simple outlook, everything is very functional and with a very specific detail. No extra decorations, no special colors. But it doesn't mean that his armor isn't meticilous clean, oiled and repaired. He seem to be a bit aged beyond is rather young age, and sometimes give an air of "old timer", speaking of "youngsters", and condemning newfangled changes. If it isn't necessary to "act posh" he can have a rather crude demeanor, swearing not uncommon. Similarly his facial hair is always a stubble, his hair cut very short, his basic expression either a scowl or a crooked smile. He like to give the impression that he is very carefree and relaxed at any situation.

Last edited by Tachikoma; 07-13-2020 at 06:27 PM. Reason: Changed Backstory to spoiler button.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:13 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 819
SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer SnakeOilCharmer
OK... I think I'm done? Hoping there's no glaring errors about the lore of the Pale I've missed. I was going to make her Tenha, but nope, that's a war zone as well. I very much wanted her leaving her home to be a controlled thing in which she said goodbye with her folks' blessing (I've got another caster whose home village was destroyed, so wanted to go the other way - she had a lovely childhood, but destiny calls).

Last edited by SnakeOilCharmer; 07-13-2020 at 10:13 PM.
Old 07-14-2020, 01:04 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 262
derpoet derpoet derpoet
Hi, I'm quite interested in this game- I've wanted to play in Oerth since I first got into DND! But, I am new to the site and PbP, and was wondering if you'd be tolerant of someone who is still learning the site and coding? I know that you want a pretty quick pace with the game, so I completely understand if you'd prefer to have veterans!
Old 07-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 196
Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Placeholder post for my forthcoming human druid. Just need to read up about the setting so I can come up with a decent flavored backstory. This seems really cool though, despite not having any experience with Greyhawk. Ended up going rogue, har-har, with my character.[/dadjoke] Also I was struggling a bit with how I was going to get an impetuous teenage druid from the Celadon Forest to the Dreadwood. I think this guy seems more fun.

Barring any missing info in my application, or anything you'd like me to expound upon, I'm considering my application COMPLETE

Application for Ancient Keoland
left-aligned image

Name:Jekarrin "Jak" Quickstep

Race: Halfling (Lightfoot)

Class:Rogue (thief)

Background: Criminal (Burglar)

Personality: I am always calm, no matter what the situation. I never raise my voice or let my emotions control me. I don't pay attention to the risks in a situation. Never tell me the odds.

Ideal: I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care.

Bond: I’m trying to pay off an old debt I owe to a generous benefactor.

Flaw: An innocent person is in prison for a crime that I committed. I’m okay with that.

Last edited by Noquarter19; 07-19-2020 at 11:59 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 10:12 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
I tried to find some reference to oriental adventures for Greyhawk all I could come up with is "Shaofeng Kingdom"

Id like to play an Japanese themed monk (honor, combat, loyalty) with a Katana (reskinned Quarterstaff to slashing)

does this work, can I start writing her up?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:09 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
I have the original Greyhawk boxed set and many other box sets I have had for 30 plus years.
**is jealous**

But you will refrain from any metabehavior, of course?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:12 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tachikoma View Post
Class: Fighter/Rogue
5e. First level. Were you planning to start out as a fighter, or a rogue?
Old 07-14-2020, 11:29 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpoet View Post
Hi, I'm quite interested in this game- I've wanted to play in Oerth since I first got into DND! But, I am new to the site and PbP, and was wondering if you'd be tolerant of someone who is still learning the site and coding? I know that you want a pretty quick pace with the game, so I completely understand if you'd prefer to have veterans!
The good thing about a fast pace is that you'll get lots of practice!

The bbcodes RPGX uses are available online, and the interface incorporates a good many of them. If we decide your character's a good fit, I hope you'll always free to ask questions, and that your companions will feel free to answer them. The idea, of course, is for everyone to have fun.

So, yeah, feel free to apply!
Old 07-14-2020, 11:31 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStone View Post
I tried to find some reference to oriental adventures for Greyhawk all I could come up with is "Shaofeng Kingdom"

Id like to play an Japanese themed monk (honor, combat, loyalty) with a Katana (reskinned Quarterstaff to slashing)

does this work, can I start writing her up?
Sounds like a plan :-)
Old 07-14-2020, 01:01 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
Tachikoma Tachikoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exfilia View Post
5e. First level. Were you planning to start out as a fighter, or a rogue?
Apologies, the character sheet is for 1st level Fighter. Didn't know where to specify the intended development of the character, so I placed it there.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:02 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Introduction
left-aligned image
Sikae Sinarae
Human / Female / 20 / Neutral Good
Far Traveler Monk of Shao'feng

Personality Trait: I have a strong sense of honor and custom that others may not understand, for instance I begin and end my day a ritual of prayer to my ancestors that may seem strange to some.

Personality Trait: I am very optimistic about the future. Like a child I see every new experience as an opportunity to learn and grow, or maybe just enjoy.

Ideal: My freedom is important to me, this land offers me an escape from my past. Everyone should have the chance to shape their own destiny and I will fight against the oppression of others, particularly women.

Bond: I fled my homeland to escape my uncles grasp, he still haunts my thoughts and I fear that he will someday find me. I escaped with my father's sword it is all that I have of him and my home, I cherish it more than my life.

Flaw: I have a tendency to be stubborn and hotheaded, I have been hurt in the past and that anger still resides within. As a result I tun quickly to violence in stressful circumstances.

DescriptionAppearance:
Sikae Stands only five tall and slender. Her youthful foreign features may have an exotic beauty but she is mostly unconcerned with such things. Like most young women she enjoys perfumes, jewelry and the make-up that is expected of her but she is not afraid to get her hands dirty. Common is not her native tongue, as a result she speaks quietly in a soft voice with a heavy accent. When angered she speaks with more authority, loud and fast, often interlaced with foreign insults. Her dark eyes tell of a sadness and a troubled past but her smile is that of someone with great hope for the future. The oriental girl clings to her culture wearing monk wrappings and cotton pants usually with an elegant robe or jacket to protect her modesty. Her long dark hair is almost always tied into a ponytail. Her beloved Katana always by her side.

Personality: Sikae Comes from a land of honor and tradition. A place where respect for authority and propriety are paramount. Women tend to be submissive and family rules. To cause anybody insult would bring dishonor to herself and her family. Little is discussed publicly that would cause shame to anyone. The gods are revered and never questioned, in fact little is ever questioned about anything.
That is the way Sikae grew up and those habits are hard to break. However Sikae is in a new world now and looks to change with it. She finds joy and excitement at all the new things this land has to offer. She is genuinely happy here learning to laugh and be with friends. She loves the food, the wine, the music. Here she doesn't have to be perfect, for the first time in her life she can be herself. Free to explore and try new things.

Chapter 1: The Beginning
right-aligned image
Shao'Feng
Sikae was born in northern Shao'Feng, where her father Jomatu was a respected Samurai with considerable holdings. Her father was liked by the peasants and controlled most of the families fortune. He taught Sikae to respect the people and work for the good of the empire. Sikae's childhood is full of wonderful memories and a grand lifestyle. She would accompany her father and mother to banquets or visit with nobles in the garden. She was very close to her father and loved to watch him train, he made her proud. In her childhood innocence she dreamed of becoming a great samurai like him. That all changed at the age of eleven when a messenger brought news that her parents had been killed by outlaws on route to Daimyo Uroru's Estate.

The family land and her guardianship were left to her uncle Sokuru, Jomatu's younger brother. Sokuru however was a greedy man full of jealousy and envy towards his brother. He conspired with outlaw ronin and yakuza to seize as much power as he could. He was ruthless and dishonorable, feared by many. He treated Sikae as a servant or worse for many years. As she matured the abuse evolved as she was forced to serve and entertain the criminals that frequented the estate.

Soma's was often accompanied by his most trusted chief. A battle-hardened ronin named Akimoto, as ruthless and feared as his boss. Akimoto had plans to marry Sikae and make her his own. Sikae despised him and was never shy to let him know, which often resulted in pain and misery. Eventually Akimoto won out and Sikae was engaged to the wretched man by order of her uncle. The ceremony was lavish full of awful people that sickened the young bride. The groom was the guest of honor and Sikae was miserable. On their wedding night Akimota grinned devilishly as he presented Sikae with a gift. Warily she opened the box and froze, inside was her father's sword. The look on Akimoto's face confirmed her fears, he had killed her parents. Shamelessly he boasted that he had finally received his payment in the form of his employers lovely niece. In a fit of rage Sikae drew the sword and ran her husband through before he could react. As he fell to the floor bleeding out Sikae turned with weapon in hand to confront Sokuru...

Chapter 2: Three Years Later
left-aligned image
Keoland
Sikae arrived in the port of Gradsul after spending three years on the run in her homeland. She felt utterly alone in the strange country but also relaxed for the first time in a long time. Foreign and penniless she would have to make her own way here. She quickly found work serving drinks at a local tavern. The customers were crude and the pay meager but Sikae enjoyed the simplicity of it.

Sikae had a reputation with regulars as being one of the most gracious hosts. However she was also known to be the toughest if someone stepped over the line. One particular night a group of caravan guards and their captain came through. Sikae served them drinks and told stories of Shao'feng as she usually did. The captain seemed a bit smitten and as the night went on and he drank more his advances became more and more brazen. When the drunk captain was quite in his cups he made the mistake of grabbing the young woman's behind. A moment later he was sprawled out on the floor with a bloody nose and a very deep ache in his privates.The locals had a good chuckle as the men from the caravan carried their leader back to his room.

The next morning a very hung-over captain came to apologize. He explained that though a good man he always had troubles about drinking and that he would like to make it up to the girl. He offered her a chance to join them. Apparently he had asked around and discovered that Sikae was known to be a formidable adversary, at least with the overzealous bar patrons. Sikae jumped at the chance to be on the road doing what she had learned was in her blood. Over the past months and caravan three trips her and the captain became close friends, and he never touched a drink once in her presence.

Last edited by JohnStone; 07-20-2020 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-14-2020, 04:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Murdoch Murdoch
https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=85596

Name: Simon
Race: Human
Alignment: Lawful Good
Class: Ranger
Background: Folk Hero
Personality Trait: If someone is in trouble I am always available to help.
Ideal: Respect
Bond: My tools are symbol of my past life and I carry them so I never forget my roots.
Flaw: I have a weakness for the vices of the city, especially hard drink.
Appearance: Simon stands 5’ 11” inches tall and weighs 175 pounds. Years of working with stone has made him fairly strong, but his thin build can disguise that strength. He has shoulder length blonde hair, blue eyes, and dark skin from spending most of his life working in the sun.
Personality: Simon has always been outgoing and friendly, always greeting his neighbors with a smile and a kind word. Recent events have made him more morose, but one he processes his grief he will probably return to his pleasant self.
Backstory
Simon grew up in a decent size village on the edge of a forest and near a quarry. His father was a mason, so he always had work and his family prospered. Simon was drawn to working with stone and when he turned 12 his father began to teach him the trade. It was hard work but Simon enjoyed working with his father and he loved being able to look at a large stone and see the shape it needed to be and being able to coax that shape out of it. When he was 14 he helped his father build them a new house out of stone and he was incredibly proud of that, especially because it was one of only a few stone building in the village.
On occasion their village was visited by Simon’s uncle Stefan, who was a Ranger who roamed the forest keeping the forces of evil at bay. As much as Simon loved working with his father he idolized his uncle. Stefan would tell the villages tales of his adventures, which always made him seem larger than life. Not surprisingly, Simon wanted to be just like his uncle. When he was 16 his uncle agreed to teach him the skills he had learned. His parents weren’t too happy with that at first, but they knew forbidding it would only make Simon want to learn more and that Stefan would do everything in his power to keep Simon safe. Since his uncle’s duties kept him away for long periods of time Simon’s training took place over many years. He knew he would have limited time with his uncle, so Simon made sure to immerse himself in his lessons whenever they happened. He learned how to track animals and people, move quickly and quietly through the landscape, and how to survive off the land. His uncle also taught him how to shoot a longbow and how to fight. Stefan preferred to use a pair of short swords and Simon was drawn to that style of fighting, but he found he liked using a pair of hand axes better.

When Simon turned 21 his uncle told him he was ready to become a full fledged Ranger and to celebrate his gave Simon a set of green studded leather armor, a longbow and arrows, and a new pair of hand axes. Then they went into the forest for several weeks together with Stefan letting Simon take the lead. After a couple of weeks they came across evidence of a large force of Orcs that had passed by several days earlier and, unfortunately, they were headed for Simon’s village. He and his uncle raced home as quickly as they could, but they were too late. By the time they arrived the village had been attacked and the main body of Orcs had already headed off with their spoils. There was only a rearguard left when Simon and his uncle arrived and the two of them attacked. They fired arrows into the enemy until the Orcs charged, then they had no choice but to draw their weapons and engage in melee. Simon managed to hold his own, but Stefan was a sight to behold, cutting a bloody swath through the Orcs. The Orc commander quickly determined that Stefan was the biggest threat and he and his bodyguards attacked him. Simon lost track of his uncle while he was fighting for his life, but when he managed to drop his final enemy he saw that his uncle and the rest of the Orcs were also dead. Simon carried his uncle back to his house, where he found his parents’ bodies. Over the next few weeks Simon used stones from his family home to build a mausoleum where he laid his parents and uncle to rest. With no family left and the memory of his dead parents overwhelming his fond memories of growing up, Simon took his father’s mason tools and left to find a new purpose.

After leaving his home Simon was at a loss. He always thought he would join his uncle traveling through the forest and keeping safe. With his uncle gone that was no longer an option and it didn't seem right to patrol the forest without him, so Simon was looking for a new way to use his skills. Being a caravan guard wasn't something he was very attracted to, but he felt it would give him a chance to see more of the world and hopefully find his purpose.

Having gone through a drastic life change himself, Simon could empathize with the captain's decision to become a monk. He was on his own search for meaning, so he couldn't question another person's decision to do the same.