RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-18-2020, 01:52 AM
The Dread Lord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 957
Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan Impaleddearan
Azulon

Name: Azulon
Race: Human (Variant)
Class: Fighter
Background: Urchin Bounty Hunter

right-aligned image

Azulon hails from Irongate. Living in the sublevels for his entire young life he knew he was destined to leave the city. There weren't many professions that provided the opportunity to leave to city but one day there was one that offered him the chance to move on to something more interesting. Bounty Hunting.

Azulon started by seeking out bounties in the city. Catching a few and collecting small rewards. Small time criminals equal small time rewards. Something that Azulon was aware of so he sought to go for bigger fish. He was offered a bounty on someone that had been most elusive. This target remained hidden from all manner of enforcment networks. He always managed to sink through the cracks. It shouldn't be that hard to find someone with scars on their face in the shape of a chevron. Then, some news. someone matching his description was seen robbing caravans. He took the bounty and considered it a debt. The client was offering a nice sum as reward for the head of this bounty. Gregory Killtree was notorious and he had murdered the clients daughter a few years ago and the client wants Gregorys head for it.

So Azulon thought what a better way to run into someone robbing caravans than to become a caravan guard and this he set out on his journey to find Gregory finally leaving the city behind. Atleast for now. The Captain of Azulon's outfit decided to "retire" which let Azulon in an interesting position. He has been apart of the Captain's crew for awhile and the decision kind of took him by surprise. If there was one thing the Captain taught Azulon was that people always need help and they almost always pay. In one way or another atleast. With the caravan job gone, Azulon looks to help others and perhaps he will run into Gregory preying on someone weak. The country is huge but Azulon won't find him standing still. Besides, as a follow of Celestian, Azulon want to roam around the land watching the stars at night. Aspiring to see the stars all over the continent.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled10_20200718020435.png
Views:	157
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	85996  
I swear upon the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by Impaleddearan; 07-18-2020 at 02:07 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanir View Post
The application is for my part complete, unless I am needed to change or add something. Some feedback is, of course, always welcome.
I like her, and she's a great fit, but I'm a ditz and not seeing the link to her character sheet.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5599
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Oh, so sorry, the character sheet is not ready. I wasn‘t sure we needed one to apply - even though you specifically mention it! I‘ll work on it immediately! Thanks

Last edited by Elanir; 07-18-2020 at 10:38 AM.
Old 07-18-2020, 11:07 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5599
Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir Elanir
Done! The character sheet is ready.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:22 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1228
Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia Exfilia
Quote:
Originally Posted by derpoet View Post
What year is the campaign set in?
570ish.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:17 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 262
derpoet derpoet derpoet
Ah okay! I think the only historical event I directly referenced was the fighting between the Principality of Ulek and the Pomarj, and that would be going in in this time. Thank you for answering
Old 07-19-2020, 12:00 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
I updated my placeholder post, application for my rogue Jak is now complete. Hope you like him!
Old 07-19-2020, 12:49 PM
Epic Level Enchatment

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8006
Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey Odyssey
Updated and finished!

I took the Oath of Sangus
Old 07-20-2020, 09:42 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
I have finally completed my App for Sikae. It was quite the endeavor finding the art and forming a decent backstory. But I am quite proud of how it came out. I am open to suggestions, Questions and review. (In am aware her character sheet is not absolutely complete ill work on her items another time)

**Note** if any of the more artistic readers know how to whiteout the background of her opening portrait that would be great. I originally used her final pic but felt it captured the scene better in that part of her story.

Last edited by JohnStone; 07-20-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:04 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3208
DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer DemonSlayer
Hi there! This certainly seems like a fun game, so I thought I'd go ahead and post an application. I don't have a lot of experience with the Greyhawk setting, unfortunately, but I'm more than happy to learn! If I do mess up somewhere, please let me know and I'll correct it right away.

Anyway, the application's below. I still need to actually include a character sheet- there's a form in one of the spoiler tags, but I still need to create an actual character sheet on the website. I'll get right on that! Actually the character sheet's been added, so my application's done !

Rurik Ungart
right-aligned image

How did you become a caravan guard?
I could say I needed the money and leave it at that, but that would be a rather unsatisfactory answer, eh? Alright, pull up a stool, buy me an ale, and I'll tell you the whole story. See, back when I was but a lad, my mother introduced me to the local gemcutter's guild. Much to her dismay, she found out I had no talent for the cutting of the gems, so instead she pulled some strings, got me assigned to one of the caravans. Probably just wanted to get rid of me, and putting me on a cart bound for gods-know-where certainly accomplished that. Said that if I coulnd't make my own art, I should sell pieces crafted by others. Unfortunately, that was a bust also- never had much of a head for numbers, see? But I could load the wagons, and when bandits or kobolds came to take our stuff, I could knock 'em over the head. Got pretty good at that last part, actually, good enough to get noticed by this old pit fighter who travelled with us. Fargrim Fireheart was his name, and he taught me everything I know about fighting.

After that, I stopped pretending to be a merchant, and hired myself out to guard shipments. Pay was a lot more steady, too- none of this "you earn what you sell" business, just do your job, and get paid what was agreed upon beforehand. A lot safer that way, eh?

So, that's how I became a caravan guard- basically I just kept failing at other jobs, until I landed this one. Not that I'm complaining, though! Sometimes it just takes a while before you find something you're really good at, right?

How did you react to your captain's career change?
The lad's got hit in the head a bit hard, methinks. Give up a job that offers travel, gold and the chance of knocking a few heads, all so you can sit in a temple all day long, hoping people's generosity will buy you your next meal? Daft, absolutely daft. Look, I honour the gods as much as the next person, and if the captain found god then he found god. Thing is, I don't believe he's motivated by piety- oh no. He's motivated by cowardice. Fear of getting hurt. Almost got killed, last time, and he's not too keen on repeating the experience. Which is all well and dandy, except now I lost my cushy job, too. You'll understand how I am less than happy with that.

Gave me a nice severance pay, though- a horse, and mules. That ought to help me on my next job- and if not, I hear horse meat ain't half bad...

Why does an adventuring career appeal to your character?
Are you kidding me? What's not to love? Getting to travel far away from your absolutely bonkers family, finding treasure underneath every rock, smashing the skulls of a few beasties every now and then... It's a good life! Sure, it can be dangerous, but so's working in the mines, or any other menial job. At least with adventuring, the pay's good. Plus, you get to be your own boss, which is simply fantastic. Set your own times, choose which jobs you want to do... There's a lot of freedom in it, and when you come from a stifling family like mine, you take whatever freedom you can get.

Last edited by DemonSlayer; 07-22-2020 at 10:13 AM. Reason: Added character sheet
Old 07-22-2020, 08:37 AM
Bladesinger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2833
Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil Daendil
@Exfilia

I'm drawn to this game but I just fail to get my inspiration. Care to help me out a bit?
(disclaimer: I realize that not every game is for everyone and it's ok)
My problem is the setting. I know nothing about Greyhawk. Unfortunately the link you provided to the description of Keoland only makes me wanna hide in a dark corner (for real, to specify the exact name and class and level(!) of various NPC-s is way too much data for me to process).
Is this a "points of light" setting with few and far between civilized regions? (I seem to vaguely recall that PoL was to be 5e-s premise... or was that 4e, I'm quite a bit rusty; on the other hand Greyhawk should be the default d&d world - or am I again mistaken?; but that contradicts the super down to detail region description)
Or is this a rather advanced society with plenty of interconnected towns and cities (my bet is on this), but then what about the superstitious view on magic?
Old 07-22-2020, 09:45 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1792
Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron
If you're looking for broad themes, my understanding is that Greyhawk is a fairly politically-developed world: wilderness obviously exists and we'll be playing in it, but nations are established and powerful and so might actively pursue their interests in the world. It's also a lower-fantasy DnD world on average: magic is extremely powerful when it shows up, but it shows up more rarely than in settings like Forgotten Realms. Powerful magic users tend to become powerful rulers as well, and throughout the history of the world a lot of them have been somewhat less than moral.

What this gives you is some nations founded by the rare powerful magic users, and those tend to be based more around magic. Opposing them are a whole bunch of nations that were basically founded and run entirely without magic (because it's comparatively rare in this setting), and because they don't deal with magic much except as a hostile outside force they're suspicious of it even when it shows up in their own people.

I'm sure Exfilia or some veterans of the older editions have a ton more detail knowledge, but that's my broad thematic take. Hopefully it's still a bit helpful.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:13 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 262
derpoet derpoet derpoet
Building on what Gadron said, the Flanaess (the region world of Greyhawk mostly takes place in) is very well developed societally. Except for the massive mountains and wastelands in the Southwest, pretty much the entire region is covered by some realm or others' border. Monsters in this world come from mountains, hills, forests, and marshes- even those in a realms borders. They raid into civilized areas. The world is kind of always at odds between humanoids and monsters, in a much more real and constant struggle than many other DND settings. Like Gadron said, since these civilizations are fairly well-developed, having had to contend with constant conflict with monsters, they can and do act on the world in pursuit of their interests. Looking at the timeline, great nations form and then balkanize cyclically. At this point in the timeline, there are a few great nations and plentiful smaller ones.

The majority of the world's nations and cities are connected by roads and trails, but these paths often have to pass near or through mountains, marshes, forests, and hills. So, places are pretty interconnected but those connections aren't always guaranteed; they remain open in the name of trade.

Gadron covered the mistrust of magic- when your main experiences with mages are adventurers who often have grey morals, and villains who blast and destroy wantonly, then your culture builds up a dislike of them.

A helpful source of info is the Living Greyhawk Gazetteer- you can find the PDF online. It's much more broad strokes than the Keoland PDF that was shared in this thread, but keep in mind that it goes into the 580's of the Greyhawk timeline while this campaign is in the 570's. I hope some of this helps you
Old 07-22-2020, 10:56 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 237
Don Cricri Don Cricri Don Cricri
Here my application. Let me know if you need more

Thervan Dyn
Mage
Race: High Elf
Class: Wizard
Background: Sage (Researcher - Archeologist)
Link: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=85681

right-aligned image

Appearance

Who am I?
  • Personality I: I have no qualms about stealing from the dead.
  • Personality II: Traps don't make me nervous. Idiots who trigger traps make me nervous.
  • Bond: I have an ancient text that holds terrible secrets that must not fall into the wrong hands.
  • Flaw: Most people scream and run when they see a demon, I take detailed notes

III. My Hometown
  • Veluna

IV. Background

V. Reaction to the captain's career change?
"You're joking right? This cannot be true! You can't do that to me!!!!!!". I wasn't pleased to learn that the captain was joining a monastery, to say the least. "Come on, when did you ever maintain a promise?! You still owe me money from the last spring caravan! And don't dare to say it isn't true!". Actually, I wasn't mad at him because he was choosing a new spiritual lifestyle. I'm a tepid believer but I can understand that; actually I respect that. I was mad about the fact that I would be without a job and, especially, without a good cover identity. Again. No more Brazan Illaryin, the mage caravan's guard, back being in Thervan shoes, aka open season for Veluna's Archbishop. "Ok, ok! Captain, I get what you're saying, fair enough." pause "Actually, how do you apply to become a monk? Asking for a friend..."

VI. Why does adventuring appeal?
I'm looking for another copy of the book that I lost, or any other old document, that will prove me innocent and change the history of Greyhawk forever. I know that in Ancient Keoland I can found what I'm looking for in older ruins, tombs and dungeons. It's the only way I can get back to Veluna. But I also know that I'll have to be cautious and hide my intent as local folks usually don't like graverobbers' wizards. If I can't find that proof, that evidence, well at least I may get enough gold to continue my search.

Last edited by Don Cricri; 07-30-2020 at 07:48 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:32 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1089
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Jalnirus of the House of Pelor, Half Orc Paladin
right-aligned image

Jalnirus of the House of Pelor

Ancestry: Half Orc

Class: Paladin

Background: Hermit (Monastery of Pelor)

BackgroundJalnirus was named after St Jalnir, the famed half orc priest of Pelor. He was brought up in the monastery from an early age, training in the arts of combat while learning at the seat of the monastery master, who instilled a sense of violence as a last resort, to be used when all else has failed, and in the face of great evil that must be vanquished in order that innocents not suffer. His mother was an orc who, following in St. Jalnir's footsteps, became a priest of Pelor and raised her son in that church. He entered the monastery as an oblate, at the age of 8, shortly after his father (a human) died while protecting a small village on the border of Keoland from attack by mercenaries paid by a rival landowner who wished to cause chaos and confusion and thus step in to "save" the village from further bloodshed.

Reason for AdventuringJalnirus was a good student at the monastery, and so, as is the custom, upon his 21st birthday, he was sent out to explore the world. The cultists following St Jalnir are renowned for their diplomacy, particularly involving heated discussions and disagreements between different races, and so the monastery encourages all students to learn as much from other peoples as possible, in order to empathise with their individual situations. In order to visit different place and people, Jalnirus approached a merchant caravan, to work as a guard for them, and to help soothe troubled waters with the balm of diplomacy.

Reaction to the Captain's conversionHaving been brought up in the monastery, Jalnirus is not entirely at ease out in the world, even though it has been a couple of years now since he took to the wandering path. There, he was respected and accepted; out in the wild, and especially in the towns and cities, he is suspect because of his heritage, and has sadly had to come to blows on a couple of occasions from those who would do him harm because of his ancestry. Still, whenever such a situation is threatened, he attempts a peaceful resolution first, and he has started to make a name for himself. He attached himself to a merchant caravan for a while, and found himself useful both in fighting off those who would despoil the caravan, and in dealing peacefully with any groups that had cause to find trouble with the merchants. He grew close to the captain of the merchant guard, and often spent the night watch conversing with the man in low tones. Jalnirus was unsurprised at the man's conversion and new life; those close to the half orc paladin suspect he may have had something to do with the man's sudden change of heart.

NotesI started playing D&D back in the early 80s, and played and ran Secrets of Saltmarsh as well as some of the other early adventures at that time but I do not have the newer versions of those adventures, and it has been several decades since I played them, so any knowledge I did have beyond the most superficial has been long swept from my memory. I'm currently running one game here and check in several times per day, so daily posting won't be an issue for me. I'm planning on going for the Oath of Redemption as a path, a reluctant warrior.

Last edited by Lemming23; 07-31-2020 at 09:37 PM.