Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1369
gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a gjf2a
Application
Name: Quaryn Stringslinger
Race: Forest Gnome
Class: Paladin
How he became a caravan guard: Quaryn has always had a talent for music as well as swordplay. His performances are noted for his combination of technical wizardry with the mandolin and his use of illusions to accentuate the storytelling in his songs. He initially left his home village (which is in the northern region of the Dreadwood) in the company of a troupe of traveling entertainers. After admiring the heroics of caravan guards who defended the entertainers against a group of bandits, he left the entertainers and joined the caravan guards.
Reaction to Captain's career change: Quaryn respects the captain's choice. While the idea of joining a monastery seems incredibly dull to him, he figures whatever makes the Captain happy should be fine.
Why be an adventurer? His commitment to the beauty of the world combined with the realistic need for the employment of martial arts to defend the innocent has led Quaryn towards the goal of taking the Oath of the Ancients, hence both propagating the light through music and defending the light from the darkness that would seek to overwhelm it. He also hopes his adventures will give him some songwriting material.

Last edited by gjf2a; 07-30-2020 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 10:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1269
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus
Bodhi
right-aligned image
Name: Bodhi Four-Fingers
Race: Halfling (Stout)
Class: Rogue [intended multi-class Arcane Trickster/Cleric (Trickery Domain)]
Alignment: N
Deity: Brandobaris (N) Stealth, thievery, adventuring, halfling rogues
Background: Acolyte

Physical Description: Bodhi is two feet and eleven inches, weighing around 45 pounds. His hair is a wavy auburn, his eyes hazel and his complexion a light tan. His right ring finger is truncated at the knuckle. His favorite color is red but he is prone to wear browns and blacks since they are better for hiding.

Personality:
  • Trait 1: Nothing can shake my optimistic attitude.
  • Trait 2: Thinking is for other people. I prefer action.
  • Ideal: Aspiration. I seek to prove myself worthy of my god's favor by matching my actions against his or her teachings.
  • Bond 1: I will honor my god by becoming the greatest rogue that ever lived.
  • Bond 2: I would die to recover an ancient relic of my faith that was lost long ago.
  • Flaw: I'm too greedy for my own good. I can't resist taking a risk if there's money involved.

Last edited by MarsComulus; 07-23-2020 at 11:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:48 PM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 852
TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG TADHG
ExfiliaLooks like you have more than enough characters to run a game. My interest was because the only D&D I played was 1st abs 2nd eds. 30 years ago. I have a brand new 5e book though. And any character I wrote up would be first level. I could easily find time to post every day because I don't do much of anything outside of work. And my TV is broke, so not watching anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnStone View Post
I tried to find some reference to oriental adventures for Greyhawk all I could come up with is "Shaofeng Kingdom"

Id like to play an Japanese themed monk (honor, combat, loyalty) with a Katana (reskinned Quarterstaff to slashing)

does this work, can I start writing her up?
Why would a katana be a reskinned quarterstaff and not a reskinned long sword? I too like some of those Oriental Adventures themed weapons. Used to own the book even, and like reflavoring weapons like shuriken, tonfa, and kama.

Last edited by TADHG; 07-24-2020 at 06:56 PM. Reason: Exfilia text added.
Old 07-24-2020, 06:55 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 142
JohnGrady JohnGrady
Haven't visited Greyhawk since the 80's. I'll offer up a dwarf.

Character Introduction
Name: Gnarik
right-aligned image

Race: Mountain Dwarf
Class: Rogue
Background: Criminal

Personality Trait #1: I am incredibly slow to trust. Those who seem the fairest often have the most to hide.

Personality Trait #2: The best way to get me to do something is to tell me I can't do it.

Bond: I'm guilty of a terrible crime. I hope I can redeem myself for it.

Ideal: People. I'm loyal to my friends, not to any ideals, and everyone else can take a trip down the Styx for all I care. (Neutral)

Flaw: I turn tail and run when things look bad.

Appearance: Standing only 4’5” and weighing a shade more than 147 stones, Gnarik is smaller than the average dwarf. This was a fact his two, older brothers reminded him any chance they could. His light brown hair is thinning on the top resulting in his common practice to keep his hood pulled about his face. He keeps a feathery mustache and braided beard that hangs just shy of his navel. He has heavily tattooed arms that carry the scars of his life. He wears hardened leather armor under a patchwork of dark, worn clothing.

Personality: Coming from a lower class family, Gnarik knows his place and is respectful, if not, dutiful to his superiors. He never speaks openly about his past. Rather, the dwarf asks probing questions of his companions keeping the spotlight away from himself. He is stubborn but not argumentative, choosing to act rather than discuss. He does not fear death, having nearly died in a mining accident several years ago which prompted him to stop work as a miner and start a regrettable life.

Ancient Keoland
Gnarik fondled the dagger with a loathing touch. Running a calloused finger along the blade confirmed the edges were keen. The dwarf nodded slowly. His palm drifted to the antler handle, worn smooth from years of use. What terrible deeds had the dagger fulfilled by his hand? They were not of his making, he thought. He was but the hired hand that wielded the blade. He did not command those deeds nor set them in motion. He merely started the final movement, and the blade brought the deed to its conclusion.

For nearly half a year, the blade had remained dry. He had not allowed it to finish this deed, nor would he ever. He couldn't remember deciding not to draw the blade. He had taken no vow to leave it sheathed. His hand had just refused. Gnarik had every opportunity. Many times he stood over his mark, asleep and unaware. Hours would pass and his hand would not move. Night after night, he watched the mark sleep guarded by the hand hired to kill.

It should have been easy. Infiltrate the caravan. Gain their trust. Take the watch. Finish the movement. Return to Niole Dra for the gold. But something changed. Joining the caravan had been easy enough. The Captain looked for those willing to protect the caravan for a price. One look in Gnarik’s eyes, and he knew the dwarf was not afraid of death. But something deep within the dwarf made the Captain pause. Why, he had asked. "Gold," Gnarik responded dryly. "I’ve spent enough years searching for it under the ground. This is easier."

A few minor skirmishes during the first trip Gradsul had confirmed Gnarik’s worth. Before the caravan returned to Niole Dra, he was tasked with a solo watch. That was the first night he had stood over his mark. He stood there every night until the caravan’s return. As the dwarf followed the wagons into the capital, he knew that the faceless man would be waiting, ready to pay if the movement was completed. "Not yet," was all Gnarik would provide. His reputation was known. The deed was considered an inevitability.

Two more trips to the Azure sea and still it was not done. This time the faceless man was not waiting and Gnarik did not tarry. The dwarf knew another would be sent. For his mark and for himself.

The fourth trip was the last. Gnarik had stood by his mark each night and waited, but it did not take long. Gnarik survived the night, as did the mark. Others were not as lucky. The Captain was shook to his core and took to the cloth. Gnarik shrugged at the loss of his employment with the caravan. He cared little for the Captain and less for many of other guards. He still had a job. One that did not pay with gold. One for which he was not hired. One that he had chosen.

He still does not understand why his hand would not move to the dagger in the darkness of those nights. What had brought the change. He cared for reasons unknown to him, and for the first time, he felt regret. Regret for all those times his hand not refused and the dagger had found its mark. He said no vow. He was irredeemable, he knew that. But the mark must live, and so, he followed.

Last edited by JohnGrady; 07-24-2020 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:25 PM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
Quote:
Originally Posted by TADHG View Post
ExfiliaLooks like you have more than enough characters to run a game. My interest was because the only D&D I played was 1st abs 2nd eds. 30 years ago. I have a brand new 5e book though. And any character I wrote up would be first level. I could easily find time to post every day because I don't do much of anything outside of work. And my TV is broke, so not watching anything.

Why would a katana be a reskinned quarterstaff and not a reskinned long sword? I too like some of those Oriental Adventures themed weapons. Used to own the book even, and like reflavoring weapons like shuriken, tonfa, and kama.
mainly because monks are not proficient with long sword

Last edited by JohnStone; 07-25-2020 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2020, 02:40 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1792
Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron Gadron
Sword monk is possible, just not from level one. The kensei subclass lets you choose any non-2h martial weapon (in this case a longsword flavored as a katana) and treat it as a monk weapon. It also gives you one martial ranged weapon (longbow being the obvious pick) with a small bonus. It's an ok subclass after that, but mostly it just exists to make the katana monk possible without homebrew.
Old 07-25-2020, 10:12 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus MarsComulus
Quote:
mainly because monks are not proficient with long sword
A Katana is a sword, not a staff.

A Bo is a staff.
Old 07-26-2020, 07:06 AM
Super-Hero

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1414
JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone JohnStone
It's my character, I see her with a sword at level one.
Mechanically there's no difference.
Even the longsword is only better by an average of 1 damage. If later she finds proficiency somehow, it can be explained as becoming better trained.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:33 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
It's my character, I see her with a sword at level one.
Mechanically there's no difference.
Even the longsword is only better by an average of 1 damage. If later she finds proficiency somehow, it can be explained as becoming better trained.

I understood your rationale perfectly. Monks aren't proficient with swords per game mechanics so you wanted to modify it so you could. Once you explained it, I got it.

I do have one third level character but it looks like he's full. EDIT: unless I'm mistaken I've mixed up the threads and this one should be first level. Which is deflected on the character sheet.

Last edited by TADHG; 07-28-2020 at 12:01 PM. Reason: clarification
Old 07-26-2020, 07:56 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@JohnStone... peace brother, it's just commentary- you can do as you please
The below map shows Nippon.... I believe that is what you are looking for.
Old 07-28-2020, 11:02 AM
Descent Gaming Bradenton

Tools
User Statistics
OOCWorked just fine in the character pic
right-aligned image

Biff is a mountain dwarf. Looking to make his fortune so he can open up shop in his trade. You see, he's a guild artisan, and he makes wagons and wheels, a perfect fit for any caravan. Many times he had to stop the caravan so he could tighten down a loose wheel. You don't want the wheels falling off. But when the Captain quit his job and became a monk, well, the wheels came off completely. He is miffed because he feels he hasn't made quite enough yet to buy the supplies he will need to eventually set up shop in Verbobonc, where there's a human settlement. Humans always seem pretty free with their money. But he can't fault him. Everyone needs to be free to follow their own path. He figures about 200 more gold should get him all he needs. Rent for a year, and all his supplies. He could always set up with another caravan. And when bandits attack, everyone's a fighter, no matter your usual role. But this little venture could get him the funds quicker. Then maybe he could retire and open his shop. Find a sturdy young woman and settle down.

https://www.rpgcrossing.com/profiler/view.php?id=85512

Last edited by TADHG; 07-29-2020 at 06:24 AM. Reason: formatting
Old 07-28-2020, 06:29 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14740
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Character Application
right-aligned image
Name: Kysthana <--- Character Sheet

Race: Half Elf

Class: Bard (Blade Archetype if she reaches level 3)

Background: Charlatan

Description: Kys' hair was permanently changed to the color it is now, something akin to Amethyst at an early age. She crossed a Wizard - something she'll never do again - in a Con and was found out. She feels fortunate that's all he changed.
Standing at a mere 5'3", her elven lineage is quite clear due to her pronounced ears. She's pretty with a deceptive smile and is rarely without the eye mask on her face. If pressed, she'll say it's part of her performing persona. At her side is a Rapier, and on her belt a sheathed dagger. Across her chest, over her leather armor, is a bandoleer with no less than 8 darts stuck in it. On her back, beside her pack is a small viol.

Personality: Kysthana seems to always be happy, even in the face of dire circumstances. To some it can be annoying, but to most it's a welcome feeling as she always seems to find the upside in everything. Sometimes, the "upside" is something only benefiting her, but she's still jovial about it.

Personality Traits: Flattery is my preferred trick for getting what I want.
Bond: I owe everything to my mentor, a horrible person who’s probably rotting in jail somewhere.
Ideal: Material goods come and go. Bonds of friendship last forever.
Flaw: I’m too greedy for my own good. I can’t resist taking a risk if there’s money involved.

False Identity: Kaetree

Most often performed song by Kysthana - her fave.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 07-31-2020 at 09:41 PM.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:17 AM
Owlbear Oracle

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 711
OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple OtherwiseApple
Think I'm going to throw my hat into the ring for this, although in this case the hat is a half-orc.
Old 07-29-2020, 10:22 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14740
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
The application for my Bard is complete.
Now, it's complete. Added her take on the caravan Captain moving on.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 07-29-2020 at 11:18 AM.