RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-13-2020, 06:56 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8850
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
The Crypt of Conundrums

Game NameThe Crypt of Conundrums
Game SystemPathfinder (New players welcomed and supported)
ThemePuzzles, Deathtrap, Escape Room, Survival
FlavourDark and Dangerous Dungeon Delving
Plot Summary
A hundred years ago, the Church of Conundrums was a place of many marvels. Three mortals— T’Ssem, Akalo, and Jovure—founded the sanctuary, committing it to the worship of themselves as demigods. Today, those who still remember or have listened to the stories know that T’Ssem, Akalo, and Jovure were just capable spellcasters, but at the time, their wondrous abilities persuaded their following of their godlikeness. Of course, they maintained an atmosphere of excitement by granting their worshipers awesome blessings and boons from time to time. In general though, be that as it may, they were whimsical “gods,” requiring their devotees to experience bizarre trials and answer puzzling riddles. In hindsight, they appeared to be testing them, but for which qualities or capacities they looked for to discover in them remains obscure. In truth, other than their preference for enigmas and tests and their want for worship, the only thing known for sure is that a hundred years ago, their Church of Conundrums was devastated in a fire. Rumors circulated as to its cause, and many guessed that the three ‘gods’ or their adherents had adversaries.

Secrets Revealed
After diving through an antiquated tome, the player characters have learned that a mystical artefact known as the Strand of Teardrops was kept underneath the Church of Conundrums. This magical relic, made from the teardrops of a goddess, looks like a belt-sized silver strand set with blue and white teardrop-shaped gems. It is said that the Strand of Teardrops upgrades its wearers most prominent attribute. Despite the truth that other references to the Strand of Teardrops exist, no one else appears to know that it was last seen underneath the Church. In spite of the fact that numerous travelers are said to have investigated the ruins, no one has talked of the Strand or, in truth, of having found an underground level.

Trapped!

You and your fellow adventurers and friends came to the Church of Conundrums on a cold, dim day, finding a burned-out shell of a building beside a number of littler storehouses, all in ruins. Spreading out, you scoured the region carefully to discover it had been picked clean by pilgrims, globe-trotters, and foragers, as some stories had suggested. Be that as it may, you knew to hunt for a mysterious way down, finding a covered-up trap entryway that lead to a dusty ancient staircase beneath the sanctuary. Lighting torches and slipping into the obscurity, you found a wide hallway that linked to some rooms. In places, faded frescos delineated travelers on the street and other scenes. You indeed discovered a number of intricately carved columns set with a couple of little pearls, effectively pried free and kept. Then, at the conclusion of the hallway, you came into an expansive room with mosaic pictures along the walls. Ahead of you, over the center of the chamber, three stone statues stood. You moved to investigate, but suddenly, the statue at the center emitted a shining streak of light, and you heard a deafening hammering of stone behind you.

What I need from you
left-aligned image

This is an extreme, thinking-player’s dungeon experience with a few unusual turns. It’s planned to be run in one sitting, but play-by-post is different of course. It takes place in a cramped area filled with bizarre puzzles, traps, and some creatures. It’s complicated and befuddling but offers the potential not only for fun dungeon adventuring but also for some off-beat psychological roleplaying challenges as well. Player vs player may happen, but only if the circumstances force things that way. The action really begins with the player characters already in the dungeon, and each character has secret background information (provided by the GM) as well. Lastly, it’s a perilous enterprise that will likely conclude (or begin or proceed) with some character death (or a total party kill, in which case I will erect a splendorous monument on the top of Mount Olympus for the Anonymous Fallen Heroes).

There are several secrets, surprises and mysteries that will be revealed to the characters individually or as a group as the adventure starts and goes along, but I can't really tell you much about that other than that they can make the game quite interesting.

Newbies are welcome of course. I am glad to help with any/all aspects of character creation and gameplay, RPGxing learning curve, etc. I can explain any relevant game mechanics as we go along. I will note that especially due to all the traps/puzzles, it will be clearer if you all describe positions and actions of your characters (what you want to do, and how you want to do it), turn by turn, fairly precisely and carefully for it to be easy for me to figure out what happens to them, and whether they die or not.

This game will involve carefully roleplaying a trapped character who very likely will die, and who has to solve a bunch of psychotically deadly puzzles, might have some secret background info that he needs to keep secret, and might at worst even have to fight his fellow party-members if things go downhill.

This adventure is basically just a difficult deadly one shot dungeon with intricate puzzles, but I want players to know that crazy things and twists can happen and they should expect the unexpected.

I will try to keep the game going at least at 2-3 posts per week, minimum. If a players lags behind, their character can remain in position, or follow along if necessary, and I can NPC them if need be as the other players interact with the dungeon.

This adventure comes with some guidelines for the characters (L4) generation below. Please feel free to create a character that pleases you. The suggested party includes: a Rogue, a Wizard, a Cleric3/Barbarian1, a Barbarian, a Fighter, and a Paladin. Some (but not all) of the aspects of the suggestions for equipment, spells, skills are designed especially to be more or less important keys to solve the puzzles and adventure. All the characters are fourth level PCs. Once the recruitment phase is over, we can get into all the details of the mechanics of the characters. You don't need to spend too much time creating the character though necessarily, I have pregenerated characters ready.

Please write a role-play fragment with your preferred character, feel free to create a character that pleases you, or tell me in order of preference which of the suggested roles (Rogue, Wizard,Cleric3/Barbarian1,Barbarian, Fighter, Paladin) you would like to play, and whether you are satisfied with following the predesigned elements of the characters as shown below, or would like to make changes, or would rather something completely different. Feel free to build the mechanics as you please just be ready to work with me if necessary and let me know what you would like to play as. Please give me a rough idea of what your ideal character would be like or what changes you would like to make to class, skills, equipment, spells, etc... compared to the guidelines below. Also please tell me something about yourself, and your experience with RPGs, D&D and if you have played any D&D dungeon modules before which ones.

FAQ
  1. Question: I really want to know the details of the mechanics so I can flesh out my character in more detail. What are the complete character generation guidelines?
    Answer: You don't have to fill in a sheet to apply, I also offer pregenerated characters, and can adapt these. Well, for those players who prefer to work out all the mechanical details for whatever reason here they are: 26 point buy, 2 traits as per standard rules, 1st party material should all be fine, for non Paizo stuff give me a link please and let me look it over and think it over a bit. Races up to 11 Race Points should be ok. Max HP at first level and 3/4 at other levels.
  2. Question: I don't like any of the character roles you suggest, or want to create something of my own, or whatever, what should I do?
    Answer: The suggested characters include several features. Try to pick the one or two that are most similar to what you want to play. Tell me what changes you want to make, and try to conserve the skills, spells, feats and equipment if possible, and makes sense for you. As for equipment, you can trade in the weapons and armor for other equipment of the same total price (full value exchange), try to keep all the other stuff the same if possible. If you are you sure you won't need something then feel free to change it for something else. I don't want to restrict the character creation process, feel free and just let me know what you want to do and be ready to work with me to adapt the character after I see the sheet please.
  3. Question: The premise seems cool but why should I invest a lot of time in creating a character if I might just die in the beginning?
    Answer: You don't have to spend alot of time in creating a character since if you want I offer pregenerated characters and can help you build it quickly if not. I don't require detailed personality and backgrounds to apply, only a roleplay fragment.
  4. Question: What do you mean by escape room theme?
    Answer: "An escape room, also known as an escape game, is a game in which a team of players cooperatively discover clues, solve puzzles, and accomplish tasks in one or more rooms in order to progress and accomplish a specific goal in a limited amount of time. The goal is often to escape from the site of the game. " -wikipedia
  5. Question: What is my secret background info?
    Answer: I know it's a bit weird or unorthodox maybe, but I really can't tell you that until we know what role/character you are going to be, so I need to wait until the recruitment phase is over most probably. (Unless you are absolutely sure what character you will play, but I'd rather keep that a little flexible for now at least).

Tentative deadline: 10th of August

Player Class Aplication Status
Crimson Paladin Complete
Pianoman90 Wizard Complete
MistyPhi Rogue Complete
Antioch Druid Complete
Coffee&CantripsFighter Complete

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-27-2020 at 03:53 AM.
Old 07-13-2020, 10:38 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1740
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Well, I had always said that I'd try Pathfinder "sooner or later", but now it's looking like sooner rather than later.

Last edited by Crimson; 07-13-2020 at 10:39 AM. Reason: Forgot to copy the spoilerbutton tag over
Old 07-15-2020, 01:43 AM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983 Alex1983
Crimson, welcome again and thanks for the interest.

Your aplication is looking good!
Old 07-16-2020, 06:04 AM
Playin' Dungas and Dragos

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 13009
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
A long time ago I ran a homebrew labyrinth-style game here. I love riddles and conundrums so I better jump on this!

Last edited by pianoman90; 07-16-2020 at 06:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2020, 06:17 AM
All veils and misty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1461
Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi
right-aligned image
Gold scattered, sliver flashed and her cold, ice blue eyes locked onto his.

The only movement in the whole bar was that of the fat man in the purple waistcoat shuffling backwards away from his toppled chair and the slow globular creep of a crimson drop from the tattooed neck. Time frozen, breath held, the last note from the old piano hung in the air like a headsman's axe as the drop of crimson slid its way over her steel blade and made a small rivulet down the side of the mans jugular, completely obliterating two swallows and the edge of a spider web.

"I...I...I" He attempted to say as carefully as he could manage, a light increase in pressure on the blade commanded him to silence.

Her eyes remained locked while a dull, low thumping from the tip of her tail involuntarily beating against the wooden paneled wall, broke the hush. The effect adding to the tension rather than defusing it.

The man, dripping a red river, towered over her even sitting as they were, her frame slight, skinny some had said, but not often and not for long. Years ago, in the narrow alleys which permeated the darker parts of the city, where the tabbies were huge and brutal, survival had necessitated strength. Not physical. Her arms barely had enough muscle fiber to draw her little bow, instead she drew fortitude from a cold emotionless bravado, a bluff often enough, but one that served well. Supported by lightning reflexes and almost colorless blue eyes.

"Bloody tail" she fumed. It was the one part of her demeanor over which she had no control. Thump. Thump. Thump. In this case it amplified the razor edged situation but even so it annoyed she'd never managed to tame the damn thing. At one time she'd even considered docking it but that would've had untold impact on her climbing skills, so she endured it. Begrudgingly.

"You dare call me a chhheat?" A quiet hiss, placing careful emphasis on the word cheat so as to bare sharp pointed incisors, a slight increase in pressure on the blade adding extra menace. The man didn't answer, at least not verbally. The fear in his eyes indicated any further force would likely spray the small, bald, bespectacled fourth player a sticky shade of red. In the stead of words his eyes moved, wobbled from side to side and his head ever so slightly followed indicating a hopeful "No". Olfactory sensors detecting his fear, sweat and a waft of urine.

Satisfied with the effect she allowed her head to tilt slightly, narrowing impassionate eyes.

"You!" Another hiss, lifting a lip slightly to flash a glint of white. Making use of the tail she whipped it around to point at the transfixed bald fellow whose glasses were beginning to fog. "Grab that purrrse and gather my winnings!"

"Damn!" Her mind exclaimed. "A Bloody 'pur' word." She knew better, "always avoid the stupid 'pur' words!", no matter how she tried the r's always rolled. Humans with their domesticated moggies took this purring as a sign of affection, not conducive to an atmosphere of tense domination. On this occasion it appeared to have gone unnoticed, even so she'd mentally flagellate herself for days over the slip.

The little guy wiped his glasses quickly and gathered up all the gold into the soft leather pouch finally placing it in the center of the card table with a hefty thwump and backing away cautiously to the far wall.

Dusky they called her. Whether on account of her light grey fur, the fact that she did most of her work after dusk or her soft, almost whispering voice she cared not, she enjoyed the name and wore it well. Allowing her eyes to narrow to mere slits she switched to that soft voice now.

"I'll take my leave then" leveled directly at the bloody man but loud enough for all to hear. Even as their ears were still passing the words to their tiny little brains she swept to her feet in a fluid, silent motion. Scooping up the bag of coins and withdrawing the pointy little blade to a sharp intake of breath from the large man whose adams apple bobbed as he added a few more swallows to his thick neck.

She wasn't stupid, quite smart in fact, not wizard smart by any means but cunning, sly smart. Smart enough and cunning enough to do well at all but the most prestigious poker tables, winning through guile and cold emotionless features. She hadn't been cheating. Not this time anyway. There'd been no need. Innocence aside though she was bright enough and experienced enough to know that the next minute was by far the most dangerous and risky part of the evening. The trick was to use her speed and agility to be gone, swiftly and quietly, before their little brains began to excrete rational thought once more. Long before their eyes calculated her diminutive size and obvious singularity.

Rather than walking briskly to the exit people might describe her as flowing, effortlessly, a blur of grey and black. A mere instant before the door closed behind her the sound of relieved chatter managed to slip out. With a wry smile she hefted the weighty purse and casually let two aces slip from a sleeve, fluttering to the ground. They hadn't been needed, this time, but it amused her to leave behind the question as she let the darkness envelop her.

She was bored. Unchallenged. Her roving mind required more than a table of simpletons with shallow pockets. She needed adventure, adversity, every sinew ached for that rush of adrenaline only direct confrontation with death could bring. In no world could she be considered a fighter, she was a woman of mystery, of shadows, deceit and cunning. Solitary.

Once more the road lay ahead. "Where might you lead this Dusky maiden?" she pondered, keeping to the edges of the dusty track, within shadows embrace.

Me...

Preference: Rogue (Catfolk)

I have played before, even DM'd before but only ever pbp and such a long, long time ago. Consider me a new player in all respects and I might surprise - even myself - as my memories trickle back.

I am happy to stick to the presented character as much as possible with perhaps a few minor (and agreed upon) changes to equipment to account for Duskies small physique. I gladly accept any restrictions the game may require and will work within the parameters provided.

Finally. It is the challenge of the puzzles, the temptation of possible escape and the very likely potential for death which draws me here. These things along with the wonderful applications thus far make for a very enticing game. Not forgetting the chance to make some in-character friends and perhaps even enemies. Oh and the offer of support for those of us with less knowledge of the mechanics is the cherry.

Last edited by Misty Phi; 07-17-2020 at 10:02 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:23 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Thanks for the great aplications.

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-17-2020 at 09:40 PM.
Old 07-17-2020, 02:52 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1740
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
I have never played in a game that did this before, but have you considered allowing players to have 2 characters each?

I don't know if anyone would even want to do that, but it might be an option.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:32 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
That's not a bad idea in principle it's sort of like having animal companion's but actually in this case NPCing one or two characters might even make it easier for me as a DM to describe the scene's atmosphere and interact with the players a bit more. Well, let's see.
Old 07-18-2020, 05:42 AM

Tools
User Statistics
pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90 pianoman90
There are a couple of big PF games about to come to a close, so there may be some characters and players that come across from there once they are finished up. Either way it will be a great game!
Old 07-18-2020, 01:52 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
By the way, congrats Pianoman on your Outplay performance! Wish you the best of luck!

Also, I edited the ad a bit, just to make it clear that I don't want to restrict players in their character creation process, and they should feel free to play with what pleases them. I also added that I'm thinking of making HP max at first level and 3/4 after that. There are some aspects of the adventure design, the puzzle, and the plot, I need to work with to get the most out of this game but it shouldn't be too big of a deal, as long as people are ready to work with me a little. The suggestions are there to give general orientations and some specific pointers, but not all those features are that important, especially if they don't make sense with the other character features, if you know what I mean. If your character has darkvision you probably don't need a darkvision potion, (although someone else might), and if you want to wield a katana you probably don't need longsword weapon focus, etc...

I'm also gonna add a table there. Please feel free to ask any questions you might have.
Old 07-18-2020, 06:45 PM
All veils and misty

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1461
Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi Misty Phi
Good luck in Outplay pianoman. I'd forgotten that corner of RPGx existed I shall have to pop in and take a look.

Your changes to the advert should help clarify any concerns there might have been over pregens Alex. To be honest the requirements were so meager and flexible that when I created Dusky I didn't need to do anything I wouldn't have done anyway apart from select Linguistics as a skill, which was hardly a hardship.
Since I'm one of those weird few who like to create an outline of my mechanical character first so that I have an idea of their weaknesses and strengths before adding personality around them your help with the equipment was invaluable. Poor little Dusky wouldn't even have been able to lift a Bag of Holding never mind walk far with it.

The concept of this game is amazing and I love your new signature. The idea of being trapped in small place with a handful of virtual strangers, facing death together whilst facing the potentially bigger threat of personality and motivation conflict is a breath of fresh air. Unlike Dusky I don't know much about gambling but if I did I might start a book on who checks out first. With her weak strength, solitary behavior and innate curiosity my money would be on Dusky shaking off her mortal coil first, but hey, she does have nine of them right?

If I were to take guess at the survivors I'd be placing a firm bet on the Hat.

Assuming we all get chosen of course.
Old 07-18-2020, 10:26 PM

Tools
User Statistics
Oh that hat will survive the apocalypse! Being stuck inside with a bunch of strangers is nothing new to Fizban. Being stuck inside with Fizban might be new to everyone else...

And Outplay is great fun! It's about to get tense again for another week.
Old 07-20-2020, 12:17 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
What critics are saying about the Crypt of Conundrums
left-aligned image
-Here are troubling mysteries, vivid characters, an immersive portrait of a fascinating era, subtle humour, unexpected events and a nimble prose that adapts to scenes of hope, doubt, horror, victory and desolation. This is one of those rare near-perfect adventures that crosses through many genres and could be universally acclaimed.

- "The Crypt of Conundrums" is not an adventure to be picked up lightly with the expectation that you, the player, are about to embark on a typical dungeon crawl. Almost immediately the characters will find themselves dropped into the midst of a deadly dungeon, trapped underground in a world completely foreign and exotic.

-If I had to spend a year on a desert island and was only allowed to take one adventure, this would be it. When it came out, one reviewer described `The Crypt of Conundrums' as "an adventure about everything". At first glance, it may seem to be a dungeon crawl largely about obscure puzzles, traps, secrets and mysteries. But this is an adventure that continuously challenges and rewards the players.

Last edited by Alex1983; 07-20-2020 at 04:32 PM.
Old 07-20-2020, 01:42 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
Antioch
This seems very interesting, i shall be back after work to get a sample and a concept over for play. Wondering if perhaps I should do a druid, since 4th level brings wild shape, and there is also the healing availability.
Old 07-20-2020, 04:36 PM
Silly Little Rabbit

Tools
User Statistics
Welcome Antioch to RPGcrossing, and to the antechamber to the Crypt of Conundrums. Can't really go wrong with Druid right? Sounds good to me. I'm looking forward to seeing what you have in mind. Also, I'll be glad to help with any doubts you may have about playing here on RPGcrossing.