Thaco Thaco Thaco
Old 07-15-2020, 04:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 852
Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin Talkin
Great applications so far.

@ cybersavant - Please don't put your roleplaying sample in a Secret Text box. If you really want to mention your secret society in there, put just that part in a Secret Text box (or feel free to edit accordingly). Thanks.

@ Ursinorum - Please don't put your roleplaying sample in a Secret Text box. If you really want to mention your secret society in there, put just that part in a Secret Text box (or feel free to edit accordingly). Thanks.

@ Thaco - Your efforts to inform upon your fellow troubleshooters for insubordination are appreciated and will be kept strictly confidential.
Old 07-15-2020, 04:51 PM
Master of Madness

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5196
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Si-R-VNT-5 has a question: Since we're filling out paperwork for jobs as troubleshooters (a most welcome and appreciated promotion might I add) should we worry about designating out combat skills as subpar in the context of presumed job security? Ofcourse I don't doubt that the friend computer has made the right call in my possible designation as red level troubleshooter, but I occasionally worry about the mental health of those close to me in the case of them losing a dear friend and co-worker.

Si-R-VNT-5 also deeply and honestly apologises for his misinterpretation and subsequent confusion about form numbers. I merely overlooked the most crucial step of translating from neo-polydecimal to hexadecimal counting systems and consulting the relevant conversaion tables. I'll report for the next oppertunity of re-education or repossession of organic matter for the vault's gastronomic needs. Before I do, however would you allow me to transfer skills I learned in my lives to a new Red-level employee? I feel it's only right I pass on my knowledge.

Last edited by Sirviantis; 07-15-2020 at 04:56 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4445
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
As a dedicated Citizen willing to join the Troubleshooters and die for my best friend The Computer, I will begin working on something immediately.
Old 07-15-2020, 07:53 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1029
Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum Ursinorum
My bad about the backstory..

Btwhaven't played Paranoia in ages, last time was with XP edition
Old 07-15-2020, 08:13 PM
Downers 4th Regiment CO

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7600
sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart sageheart
This is already amazing to read. Will try to get an app up before I leave for a week on Saturday.
Old 07-15-2020, 08:30 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 469
olhado olhado olhado olhado olhado
Completely Adequate Citizen, reporting for dutiful service to Friend Computer!
right-aligned image

APPLICATION COMPLETED

Name: Rub-R-GLU-1

Appearance: Completely within the Computer-recommended bounds of physical structure and texture. Eye color [REDACTED] because of security clearance.

Personality (check one): Upon checking his one and only computer-assigned personality, Rub finds it completely within the Computer-recommended bounds of social norms and emotional well-being.

Identify two skills you are good at: While completely within the Computer-recommended bounds of all abilities, Rub is statistically at the higher bounds of:
  • Violence
  • Wetware

Identify two skills you are not good at: While completely within the Computer-recommended bounds of all abilities, Rub is statistically at the lower bounds of:
  • Stealth
  • Hardware

Service Group Assignment:

Rub is suitably excited to be provided with his new mandatory bonus occupation of Troubleshooter, on top his completely satisfactory Service group assignment in Housing Preservation and Development & Mind Control (HPD&MC).

Secret Society: Left blank due to not knowing what secrets are, and understanding the only society is Alpha Complex Society.

Roleplaying Sample:

Optional, Bonus Writing Sample:

Last edited by olhado; 07-20-2020 at 07:43 PM. Reason: better RP sample
Old 07-15-2020, 08:47 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirviantis View Post
Since we're filling out paperwork for jobs as troubleshooters (a most welcome and appreciated promotion might I add) should we worry about designating out combat skills as subpar in the context of presumed job security?
Troubleshooter teams are assembled with a careful mix of interdisciplinary talent to ensure they are capable of any type of mission. Accordingly, there is no skill which should or should not be listed as more skilled or less skilled. All troubleshooters will revive training in use of the standard issue laser prior to their first mission.
Old 07-15-2020, 09:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4445
Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy Grouchy
Character Concept
right-aligned image

Name: Ham-R-TYM-1

Appearance:
Ham is a tall, strong looking clone with large arms and comparatively tiny legs. His brown hair is cut in the most approved Alpha Complex fashion for hygienic purposes, and his square jawed face is clean shaven and well scrubbed. He has brown eyes and a wide flat nose, and his smile reveals teeth that look disproportionately big for his mouth. His hands hang down by his knees and it seems even the largest jumpsuit sizes for clones seems to be stretched to the limit by his large frame. When he speaks his voice is deep but slow, as if talking fast or intelligently was not part of his initial programming.

Personality (check one):
[ ] Option 1: I am naturally happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex
[X] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex

Identify two skills you are good at: Violence and Hardware.
Identify two skills you are not good at: Management and Wetware.

Service Group Assignment: Armed Forces.

Secret Society: A good Citizen is loyal only to The Computer.

Roleplaying Sample:
Ham still remembers the day he was promoted to the ranks of the Troubleshooters like it was yesterdaycycle. At the time he was living in the drab Infrared BNE sector, and as what usually happened when he was half awake and rushing off to his guard post, he smacked his forehead off of the low opening to the room he shared with several other Infrareds assigned to menial guard duty within the Armed Forces. His head throbbing the entire way to his guard post, he relieved Badtuda-BNE at his assigned corridor to keep watch for Commie mutant traitors. It's almost treason to say it, but after months of watching the same corridor and VendoBot 3000 Ham almost wished one would show up so he would have something to do - even if it was just to die a gruesome death as the Infrared guards were not assigned any kind of weaponry, just a plastic whistle to blow in case trouble showed up. Ham wasn't even sure if the whistle worked.

He was He was actually investigating a small stain on the floor that had been there for the entire time he had been, and he constantly questioned its origindiligently watching his post when he observed Badtuda-BNE attempting to use the VendoBot 3000 to obtain a Bouncy Bubble Beverage. Apparently the VendoBot 3000 swallowed Badtuda's last credit and wouldn't give up the Bouncy Bubble Beverage, so Badtua-BNE began to physically attack the VendoBot 3000! Ham couldn't believe what he was seeing. Treason! He was actually seeing treason right in front of him! Rushing over to apprehend the villain, Ham arrived just in time for the VendoBot 3000 to activate its klaxon and its self defense protocols. A laser rifle emerged from the VendoBot 3000 and began taking aim at both Badtuda AND Ham, and Ham quickly realized that he was a matching stain on that corridor floor if he didn't think of something quick. He still does not recall why, but picking up the much smaller and slighter Badtuda-BNE, Ham began to beat the VendoBot 3000 into submission using Badtuda's body. He was still fighting off the VendBot 3000 with the mangled corpse of Badtuda-BNE when Armed Forces personnel responded to the alarm.

Seeing several laser pistols trained on him, Ham knew he had to act fast. He immediately told the heavily armed clones he had caught Baduta-BNE in the act of sabotaging the VendBot 3000 for his nefarious purposes, and only by beating the VendoBot into inactivity with Badtuda-BNE's body was he able to stop his plot. Ham was immediately promoted to Red clearance level, shuffled off to the much nicer TYM sector, and given a nice new Red jumpsuit that is a bit too small for him. But hey, life is so much better now! He gets to look at different corridors sometimes, and the door frame is actually one inch higher so he only gives himself a glancing blow to start his day. Life is great, all hail The Computer!

Last edited by Grouchy; 07-20-2020 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:21 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 271
Thaco Thaco Thaco
Joe-R-AME-1
right-aligned image

Name: Joe-R-AME-1

Appearance:
Joe is short and stocky, with a receding hairline he keeps hidden beneath his ever-present cap. Some people are born with bodies designed to be great athletes, or great lovers; Joe was born with a body designed to be a great Sanitation and Recycling Technician, Second Class.

Personality (check one):
[X] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex

Identify two skills you are good at:

Management – "Synergistically facilitating sustainable communities for all of Alpha Station"
Hardware – "Have you tried turning it off and on again?"

Identify two skills you are not good at:

Stealth – "Keeping the lights on" is inherently incompatible with "hiding in the shadows"
Violence – "Resistance is useless"

Service Group Assignment:

Power Services – The unseen machine that keeps all of Alpha Complex from collapsing under its own weight

Secret Society:

Roleplaying Sample:

Clive-I-COR-3, who occupied the pod immediately beneath mine, had always been friendly enough - nodding his head the requisite 23 degrees as he said "good morning" when we passed on our way to our morning assignments...so it was certainly disturbing when he nodded his head 23 degrees, said "good morning", and smiled. It was obvious that he had some secret that he was keeping; certainly nothing else could explain his bizarre behavior. Of course, finding out what he was hiding was not going to be an easy task - after all, it would be treason to go snooping about his pod - but I knew that it was my duty as a Citizen to expose his traitorous ways.

For the next six days I kept a careful watch on his behavior. I noted two instances of "smiling", three cases of "jauntiness", and on one instance distinctly heard "humming". It was the last that was most telling, as the tune was definitely neither "Good Morning, Friend Computer" nor "My Home's in Alpha Complex". Knowing that music is a tool for radicals, communists, and seditionists, I reported the incident to my section Troubleshooter in accordance with regulations.

The following morning, the pod beneath mine was occupied by Helena-I-SRX-2. We greet each other with a 23 degree nod each morning, and I have detected no further humming.

Optional, Bonus Writing Sample:

Old 07-16-2020, 02:16 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1089
Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23 Lemming23
Form 639-D4/ rev. 12.8, Application for New Troubleshooter Commission and Assignment
Name: Snick-R-DDL-1

Appearance:
right-aligned image
A Hulking Brute, who looks like he was fed extra Gum-E-Steroids with his algae chips (Extra Salted) and Bouncy Bubble Beverage (Original flavour, obvs). Muscles atop muscles, short-cropped hair, and an almost permanent glare.

Personality (check one):
[X] Option 1: I am naturally happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex
[ ] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex

Identify two skills you are good at: Management, Violence
Identify two skills you are not good at: Stealth, Software

Service Group Assignment: Armed Forces

Secret Society: None, of course.

Roleplaying Sample: Journal Entry Daycycle 212-17-X5: As I was proceeding to my very important job of Junior Assistant Functionary Guard Fifth Class for the 12th Battalion Reactor Shielding Company (motto - "First in Line Against Leaking Radiation"), I happened upon the aforementioned Hotsu-SMA, an obvious commie mutant traitor ne'erdowell who was besmirching the good name of Alpha Complex heartthrob Teena-O-MLY, claiming falsely that "she'll never be as good as Justin-B-BER." Since all good citizens are aware that Justin-B-BER was recently terminated with extreme prejudice for being a commie mutant traitor, here was absolute proof of Hotsu-SMA's moral turpitude, terrorist sympathies, and terrible taste in heroic alpha complex figures. After apprehending the miscreant, which involved the fracturing of one of the traitor's legs and both of his arms, I encouraged him to come with me to the nearest termination booth, by way of dragging him by the one reliable leg left to him. After a brief discussion concerning his guilt, Hotsu-SMA gladly confessed to this and several other crimes against Alpha Complex. I am pleased to accept the computer's recognition of my heroic uncovering of such a vile specimen of corruption and my subsequent promotion, both to Red Security Clearance status and as Junior Assistant Functionary Guard Fourth Class (Acting). I shall not let the Computer and Alpha Complex Down, and look forward to uncovering and executing more traitors of the same calibre as Hotsu-SMA.

Optional, Bonus Writing Sample: I recommend reading over my posts in the Cthulhu game, especially those parts warning about characters likely to get their faces eaten off next (after Roderik, poor lamb). Just saying.

He / Him. Playing: Letholdus, Halfling Tempest Cleric, Snick-R-DDL-1, Troubleshooter
Running: The First Mask (Cthulhu Zero)
Old 07-17-2020, 02:12 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemming23 View Post
I recommend reading over my posts in the Cthulhu game, especially those parts warning about characters likely to get their faces eaten off next (after Roderik, poor lamb). Just saying.
I would just point out that due to players in Paranoia having six clones, any unfortunate fate which befalls a certain intrepid natural scientist could be revisited six-fold upon someone else. Just saying.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:03 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 581
Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver Carver
I've never played Paranoia, but long heard good things about. Plus everything I've read her sounds great. I'd hate myself if I didn't put an application in.

Character Application
right-aligned image
Name: Cadence-R-DMC-1

Appearance: Cade is around average build if not a little on the short side at 5 foot 6. To be most agreeable and pleasing visually he keeps his light brown hair and beard short. He has blue eyes above a smile he keeps plastered on his face to the degree of almost looking goofy.

Personality (check one):
[/] Option 1: I am naturally happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex
[ ] Option 2: I am heavily medicated so as to feel happy about all aspects of my life in Alpha Complex

Identify two skills you are good at: Management and Stealth
Identify two skills you are not good at: Hardware and Software

Service Group Assignment: Housing Preservation and Development & Mind Control (HPD&MC)

Secret Society:

Roleplaying Sample: Cade had long heard the talk of how reporting someone could do wonders for your career, and life as a whole. He became so fixated with the idea of finding a Communist and outing him. Of course, Cade didn't know exactly what a Commie was or what they did since their ideals were never allowed to be published. Or maybe he'd find a traitor. Someone with a plan to overthrow everything, which he could expose just in the nick of time. He'd be the hero! But let's be honest, nothing interesting ever happened in sector DMC. Then there were mutants... Well he'd never say so aloud but he was beginning to doubt the existence of mutants. He'd never seen or heard anything of the like.

Everyday on his path from DMC to work and then back to DMC, he'd walk past the office where he could make a report. He'd sometimes pause and rack his brain for a detail he could exploit. Maybe Elise? Maybe eating with your mouth open was a communist thing to do. What about Bryan? Was complaining about an unstocked vending machine an act of treason. Or was it the obvious choice, Ricardo? There's no way hair can be that soft and shiny without the mutation of genetics. Cade always had to concede that he didn't have a strong enough case, and reporting something that couldn't be backed up was probably considered the work of a Commie Traitor Mutant. Everyday he resigned to his monotonous job. The one had to smile and nod through for the rest of his day. Nothing was ever going to change.

Then came the day that he found out Tony had 11 toes. That mutant scum was going down, and Cade would reap the rewards.
Old 07-17-2020, 03:31 PM
Ancient Emerald Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 361
MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister MrKinister
I have no plans of entering a character. But I have to say I am cracking up just browsing all the applicant entries. I look forward to reading the proud exploits of the soon to be most prolific troubleshooters in the history of Alpha Complex. Long Live Friend Computer!

"Life doesn't give you purpose. You give live purpose." - The Flash
Old 07-17-2020, 10:54 PM
not a fish

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9031
rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber rhaiber
Application Complete!