RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-15-2020, 09:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14740
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Leaves On The Wind

Game NameLeaves On The Wind
Game SystemSerenity
ThemeDark and Gritty, Living on the Edge
FlavourSci-Fi Western in the tradtion of Firefly
Plot Summary
Plot SummaryCharacters are part of a crew, and have been for a minimum of four months. Timeframe will be after the events of Firefly T.V. Series First Episode and before the Events of the Motion Picture “Serenity.”

The HookAny number of things can happen to a crew. Sure, you want things to go smooth. Do the job, get paid, keep flyin’. Seems simple enough, don’t it? Truth is, though, things are rarely that easy. Alliance patrols, con artists, thieves, Reavers, and big business might all be ready to ruin a perfectly good week. It’s wei shan out in the Black, but if you love your boat and the crew sticks together you’ll live to fly another day.

It will be tough, even for seasoned Big Damn Hero level Crews and there is a significant risk of character deaths. So step on board… if you dare.

The adventure starts with the crew “underway”, somewhere out in the black.

One thing that them as what chooses to live dirtside their wholes lives don’t ken is just how big the Black is. Oh sure, somes got book schoolin’ that gives ‘em all these fancy answers, but they don’t really know it, cause they ain’t seen it. There are some what say that goin’ to the edge and lookin’ to what was beyond is what drove the Reavers into innard chawin’ monsters, but if that’s all it took, why ain’t there more Reavers? Either way, the Black is big an’ is holdin’ more secrets than what any one man, or hell even a whole passel can understand, so next time a spacer tells ya he seen it with his own peepers, don’t be so quick to say he didn’t.
– Gus Jacobsen, itinerant spacer during an interview by the author Jiang Hu Long for his popular series ‘’Verse Stories’

Game Mechanics
What 'type' of game will it be?
Game will be typical of the Firefly/Serenity theme. Players’ characters will be part of crew – a team. Each should have motivations and or reasons to have joined a crew, and to stay part of one. Obviously, these motivations and reasons do not have to be fully known by other characters.

How many Players are you looking for?
5 minimum, 6 maximum
Bear in mind that crew will need a mix of characters who can pilot, mechanic, medic/Doc, use a gun, Tech skills, and have skills/contacts to get work in order for them to survive as a group.

What is the characters' starting level?
Big Damn Hero Level

How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
This is determined by the starting level of the game, which is Bid Damn Hero. Point buy system - 54 points for Attributes, 74 points for Skills.

Are there any particular character “things that you want... or do not want?

Characters WILL need to follow the classic Campaign Model - Browncoat sympathies and history, taking jobs to keep flyin’ and keep free. If a character "is not" a Browncoat sympathizer, other things about the character will have to really stand out to be chosen.
Some Traits, Complications may be limited to minor. “Reader" Trait is most definitely limited to minor if you choose to purchase, and only one character will be allowed to have this Trait.

What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game?
Uh-duh. Human only please. No aliens in the ‘Verse, people are weird enough as it is.

Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game ?
All players will do their own die rolling. GM will roll for all NPCs and all nasty ‘Verse surprises.

Are there any "Homebrew" or optional/variant rules that Players should know about?
Not really.
POSTING: Minimum of once every 7 days. If all players but one have posted faster than 7 days since last GM post, players may get a PM from the GM to "request" a post to move things along.

Is a character background required? Are you looking for anything in particular?
Yes. All Characters Backgrounds are up to you the player. However... Your Character, along with the others that will be accepted, have been together as a crew for at least 4 months, at a minimum. You can be related, romantically entangled, friends, war buddies, or newly met when joining the crew. Up to you the player.
Secrets are allowed. GM reserves right to “suggest” changes be made before game start for better “flow” of game.

Are your Players restricted to particular rule books and supplements?
Yes. These are the books I have, and all are allowed.
-Serenity RPG Core Rules Book
-Big Damn Heroes Handbook
-Six-Shooters & Spaceships
-Cortex Shipyards, Volume 1 & 2
Also, here's some complications that are new from a GM only sourcebook that you may use. Obviously all are not for characters, but for a ship.

Character Submission:
Need name, Age, Sex, background, and general idea of skill set (like complications, traits, etc.) you want your character to have. Also, drop at least one quote from one of the Firefly episodes or Serenity movie in your application somewhere, kinda like an easter egg or an "Homage" if you will.
All of your application can be blended together in a paragraph or two as long as it's all there. I'm not picky. Character "point" generation is not necessary to submit an application, and if not done, will take place after your player has been accepted (though it you wish to get a head start, feel free to do so using the Serenity Character sheet here on the site, but this will not sway acceptance into game).

Ever sail in a Firefly?
If this system is new to you, but you love Firefly and would love to RP in the 'Verse, the learning curve is low; meaning it's a really low bar. Once the Game Forum is up, there will be tables and breakdowns of how "rolls" are made in the game.

Why Firefly?
Truth be told, I started watching the season over again for the ga-zillionth time. That said, let's take a moment to recognize that it was still IS awesome, and then get some air through this engine.

Lastly: No dice rolling in the Advertisement Thread. Shouldn’t be a problem since Cortex rules are based on “Point Buy” system.

DEADLINE: 12 apps, or until enough apps are present to form a good crew. Or... August 16th, my birthday, at the latest.

List of Applicants
PLAYER CHARACTER NAME Crew Position Based on Skill Set HOMEWORLD App Completed
JaredSyn Victoria Sexton (VIC)
Medic/Doctor
Persephone Yes
Nahl Cole Brennan
Mechanic
Harvest ?
Hyregoth Dexter 'Dex' or 'Slick' Stantolopolous
Pilot
The Black Yes
Ghost6442 Seth Taylor McCree
Captain
Londinium ?
TheRatQueen Tamika Black
Enforcer/GunhandPublic Relations
Athens Yes
Silent Rain Arabella Pearson
"Face"
Ariel?? Yes
Hiruma Kohaku Todd Jennings
First Mate
Persephone ?

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 07-21-2020 at 12:51 PM.
Old 07-15-2020, 11:34 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1053
GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob GodBob
Man, you just keep making games that catch my eye !
Old 07-16-2020, 01:20 AM
AKA HotSatsuma, HotSuma

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4449
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Drach, it's a great ad but PLEASE re-colour the yellow when you get time. Against white backgrounds (like Drake) it's can become a legibility issue for readers.

Last edited by HotsuSama; 07-16-2020 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:23 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 374
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand

Old 07-16-2020, 06:42 AM
Cursed Shapeshifer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 510
Nahl Nahl Nahl Nahl Nahl Nahl
Shiny!

EXTREMELY interested! Always enjoy playing anything in this setting. Skimmed over the rules a few years back, but never found anyone running a game. The board game is the closest I've come. Making a placeholder for my app below.

And, yes: please change the color from yellow :P

edit: Dropping questions.. started flipping through the books and thinking more. Sorry about that.

App will be in its own post

I have taken the Oath

Last edited by Nahl; 07-16-2020 at 01:18 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 08:57 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5578
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn
Place holder while I work on an App. Which books are we using for character generation?

Last edited by JaredSyn; 07-16-2020 at 09:09 AM.
Old 07-16-2020, 09:17 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit Drachenspirit
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaredSyn View Post
Place holder while I work on an App. Which books are we using for character generation?
They are listed in the advertisement.
Old 07-16-2020, 10:19 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn JaredSyn

Character Application
right-aligned image

Name: Victoria Sexton (VIC)
Sex: Female
Attributes: Agility: D8 | Strength: D4 | Vitality: D6 | Alertness: D8 | Intelligence: D12 | Willpower: D10 Total: 48
Traits: Fightin' Type (Major 4) | Highly Educated (Minor 2) | Military Rank (Minor 2 Officer) | Steady Clam (Minor 2) | Talented (Minor 2 Medical Expertise/Surgery) | Total Recall (Major 4) Total: 16
Complications: Allergy (Minor 2 Fish) | Credo (Major 4 No man left behind) | Loyal (Minor 2 Browncoats) Total: 8
Skill Set: Athletics D6 (Dodge D10) | Discipline D6 (Concentration D10) | Guns D4 (Pistol D6) | Medical Expertise D6 (Physiology D10, Surgery D12) | Perception D6 (Deduction D10) | Planetary Vehicles D4 | Scientific Expertise D6 (Biology D10) | Unarmed Combat D6 (Martial Arts D8) Tota: 74
Background:
Victoria is from Persephone, where she was born and raised by her parents, who were both Physicians. Their wealth allowed them to ensure Victoria had the finest schooling available, and were thrilled when she excelled in all of her classes, partly due to her ability to remember almost everything she saw or heard. This made her testing scores rank at the top of the class consistently. Her childhood was spent in one class after another, and while her primary focus was on Science and Medicine, her father also insisted she learn to train her body as well. Wanting his daughter to be able to defend herself should the need arise. Her childhood was a pleasant one even though it was very busy, she had little time for friends her parents constantly pushing her in her studies.

She completed her primary schooling ahead of schedule graduating several years before others her age. She was immediately enrolled in medical school, the youngest of her class. Victoria continued to excel even in medical school and once again graduated early. Her parents thrilled at her accomplishments expected her to take a prestigious offer from her parents own employer. Victoria had other plans though, her parents had run her life like a business, and Victoria wanted her freedom from their control for the first time in her life. She instead took the unexpected route of signing up with the Independents as a Physician. She went through her basic training and was commissioned upon completion as a Lieutenant in the Medical Corps. Victoria did not want end up in the rear and volunteered to be a front line physician, doing all she could to save the seriously wounded on the battlefield.

Victoria was decorated for bravery on more than one occasion, risking her own life to ensure no man was left behind on her watch. On one occasion refusing to leave a group of soldiers who were pinned down and injured. The unit's commander choosing to withdraw and leave the men behind she had stepped up in front of the man staring into his eyes. "How did your brain even learn human speech? We are not leaving those men behind so pull up your damn big boy pant's and let's figure out how to get them out of there." The man admonished had backed down and worked to ensure the men were collected prior to pulling. After the battle the man attempted to report Victoria, but his own commander, simply laughed well at least the Doc has a set on her get out of my sight.

After the war Victoria had no desire to return home to life of pomp and privilege and instead signed on to a ship as the Doctor she has been there ever since.

Last edited by JaredSyn; 07-16-2020 at 02:00 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:05 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Here's a link to a decent Timeline for events in the 'Verse.
There's others out there that go back to our current date, but this one has Canon things marked in it.
http://signal.serenityfirefly.com/mmx/timeline/view.php

This might help when creating a character to know what they may or may not have been involved in from their past and what their age would have been.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 07-16-2020 at 01:05 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 01:48 PM
Cursed Shapeshifer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 510
Nahl Nahl Nahl Nahl Nahl Nahl
Mechanic
Machine Whisperer
right-aligned image

"Name's Cole. Cole Brennan. Some folks say I ain't playin' with a full deck of cards. I prefer to think I just see the world different to 'em. Folks say inanimate objects have no soul, no feelings, can't understand us. I tell those folks they're wrong. How else do you explain the way things work? Treat your gear nice, and it'll take care of you. Muck about, ignore it, or mistreat it, and it'll mistreat you. Folks in the core can get away with that kind of thing. In the black, it's a different story... your ship, your gear... that's all that's between you and the cold emptiness. Sure, I talk to them, give them all names, but they do right by me. Call that crazy if you want, but I find it works just fine."

Description:
Cole Brennan is a 33 year old male, with a tired, thoughtful look in his yellow-green eyes. His red hair is usually an unkempt mess though he keeps his freckled face clean shaven. He often wears a dark-brown, almost black cloat.

Background:
Cole grew up on Harvest. He was never the most social individual, but found his niche working with machines and computers - technology spoke to him more than people. He is very loyal and trusting, if somewhat gullible.

During the Unification War, He readily joined the browncoats, working as a mechanic and tech. He almost lost it the first time he saw a friend die. He is squeamish around blood and nervous with guns, but will use one when absolutely necessary - ideally one with a scope, with plenty of space between him and the blood - when friends or allies are in danger.

When the war ended, he sought employment on a ship where he could live away from the restrictions of the core planets and put his skills to good use.

He can rarely sit still and is almost always tinkering with something, either the ship itself, his pocket watch, or other small mechanical devices ranging from useful items to children's toys.

Welcome any connections to other players - warbuddies, childhood friends, etc.

This is my first character with this system, so let me know if I did anything wrong, and am willing to shift numbers and details (like home planet) around as needed, I picked ones that seemed to make sense for the concept.

One of my favorite quotes
ZoŽ: "Preacher, don’t the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killin’?"

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

I have taken the Oath

Last edited by Nahl; 07-16-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 02:01 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Character Sheet link in Application.
Old 07-16-2020, 04:09 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Chosen crew will decide on one of two Firefly models to go with. No prior discussion necessary, open to it though, just something to be thinking about.
Here's a link to the two choices.

Basically, option one is just like the one on the show/movie, and option two has no medbay, but extra cargo and one extra double-bunk passenger room. Games I've ran in the past had player's modifying the extra passenger room into a small infirmary, or using one of the shuttles as a medbay and only using it for flights in an emergency - which helped since it was like an ambulance.

Last edited by Drachenspirit; 07-16-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 05:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2492
Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth Hyregoth
WIP - Talented Pilot

Dexter 'Dex' or 'Slick' Stantolopolous
right-aligned image
Name: Dexter 'Dex' or 'Slick' Stantolopolous
Sex: Male
Background:Dexter was born in space and has known little else in his 27 years. The few times he has set his feet on solid 'ground' were at the mining station on Haven. His parents were prospectors and worked the asteroid belts in less than perfect conditions. Dex had to grow up fast and learn the ropes. He was piloting Ore shuttles and driving Excavators before he was 10 years old so that his parents could do other things.

"Every man there go back inside or
we will blow a new crater in this little moon
."

Unlike his parents, Dex was never satisfied with the idea of scratching a rock hoping for something valuable. It seemed many miners spent their lives hoping for the 'big strike' but never seeing it. He gained the nickname 'Slick' as the simple miners weren't used to a kid talking about things outside of the colony. He proved them wrong after getting his degree in Engineering and taking a job on a bulk freighter heading to parts unknown.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dex.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	85983  

Last edited by Hyregoth; 07-17-2020 at 04:39 PM. Reason: minor corrections
Old 07-16-2020, 06:14 PM
Spectral Cookie Master

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3154
Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442 Ghost6442
I have been summoned.

Going to aim for captain

Last edited by Ghost6442; 07-16-2020 at 06:15 PM.
Old 07-16-2020, 07:25 PM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11273
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
Damnit Drachenspirit! Yet another game I wan't to get into Unfortunatly, I think I'm close to maxed out on games or I would join yours in a heart beat. If I don't get into taleteller50's game then I'll defiantly apply!

"Learn from your mistakes, repeat only as needed, live long and prosper."

DMing: An Untimely EncounterSun - Thu: NORMAL / Fri & Sat: UNAVAILABLE