Pokemon A Time To Grow: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-21-2020, 04:26 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3116
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
A Time To Grow: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game

Game NameA Time To Grow: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game

Helena glanced down at the pokéball in her hand. She tried to keep her nervousness from her face, but she was looking for reassurance. Poppy, her Ivysaur, looked back up an her through the red translucent top and nodded with a resolved expression. Helena nodded down gratefully and looked forward. The cliff was too far away for a Vine Whip to reach. If she was going to escape from the police officers pursuing her, she was going to have to jump far enough to close that distance. It would be all or nothing. The howl of a Growlithe some distance behind told her time was running out to overcome her fears. So she bit down on her lip to keep from screaming and took a running start to the cliff’s edge…

Welcome to Valoria, a core island chain for a homebrew setting in PTU RPG. I am looking for 1-4 trainers to run through a pokémon adventure. You are welcome to travel together or split off on your own adventures, crossing paths as you will. You can collect gym badges, compete in contests, and participate in the league championships if you wish. But the plot of the game is centered around exploring the mysterious ruins of the islands in the pursuit of solving an ancient mystery.

The Setting: The world is going to play much more like the Pokémon Adventures manga than the anime series, so pokémon sound and act like animals rather than human-intelligent creatures that repeat their own name. League rules still maintain that no one can carry more than 6 pokémon at any given time, and swaps can only be made at certain computer terminals (such as Pokécenters, gyms, and other official locations). Semi-modern technology (cell phones, Wi-Fi, etc.) as you would see in the latest Sword/Shield games. Pokémon from all generations will be available in the game, but your many pokémon on the first island will be 1st generation starting out.

The Tone: The game is going to be moderately serious. Plenty of room for light-hearted moments, but it will not be a slapstick game. Your characters will have a lot of choices that will have real consequences in the world. And they will be going through some coming-of-age experiences, so expect some teenage and pre-teen drama along the way as well.

Gameplay Style: I am an empowering storyteller as a GM, meaning I want to challenge your character and play fair to the rules, but ultimately I want my players to be the heroes of the adventure. I lean more towards role-playing and exploring opportunities. Combat tends to be relatively quick. There will also be some real in-game puzzles for players to solve, though skill checks give your characters clues and hints to help along the way.

My Expectations: I am looking for players that can commit to posting at least once a week. Literate posts are a must: I have to be able to understand what you are writing. I am willing to accept newbies of every level. You are welcome to apply even if you are unfamiliar with PTU, Play By Post games, or even RPGs in general.

What You Can Expect: I am most familiar with PTU 1.04, so if I make some edition mistakes please forgive me. You will get your starting pokémon (level 10) early on and have the opportunity for your first capture shortly after that. Catching pokémon is difficult, so do not expect to be a pokédex completionist. If you have a favorite pokémon, especially one that is not legendary, let me know and I will make sure you have the opportunity to encounter it.

Applications: You have until 8/5 to submit your application. I am only taking 1-4 players. You are welcome to use anything from the 1.05 core book when designing your character. The other setting books don’t really apply to this game’s setting, but I am willing to discuss specific options out of those books on a case-by-case basis.

Specific requirements for each application are below. Please reply to this thread with your character application. You do not need a completed character sheet to apply, but you are welcome to make one as part of your application. DO NOT POST ANY DICE ROLLS IN THIS THREAD PLEASE!

What I am REALLY basing my decisions on is your character concept. I am a story teller, and interesting characters that would fit into my story are going to be at the top of my list. DO NOT SUBMIT MORE THAN ONE CHARACTER APPLICATION. Choose a concept you like best and sell it.
Applications
Name: A normal name for your trainer, please.
Appearance: What your character looks like, including typical traveling outfit. MUST INCLUDE PICTURE
Description: Your character’s personality, goals, and typical first impression. No evil characters.
Background: A short paragraph about your characters history. Can include a BACKGROUND from character creation.
OOC Goals: Outside of the main story plot, what are you hoping that your character will accomplish in game?
Ideal Starter: Bulbasaur, Charmander, Squirtle, or hoping for something else?
Roleplaying Sample: 1-2 paragraphs in character. This should give me a feel for your character as well as a sense of your posting style.

Starter Pokemon options should have 3 evolution stages. They can be from any game/gen. Pokemon that have a baby as their first stage are acceptable. As per the game’s official recommendations, starter pokémon cannot be steel or ghost types.

About the World:

Name Character Name Passion Starter Status
Silim Vance Highwind Finding One Normal/FlyingFletchling Complete
Noquarter19 Bug Catcher Ben Exploration and Adventures Bug/PoisonWeedle Complete
briar Yishka Kisagiri Find her place Any of Ralts, Pichu, Bounsweet, Snivy, Honedge, Hattena, Charmander, Bulbasaur.Surprise Me! Complete
ShadSkad Pierce Everdeen Save Uncle IceVanillite Complete
AximusLokar Sora Yukan Uncovering Secrets Grass/FlyingRowlet Complete
EmmaRae Kaylee Yamato Self Discovery Ground/DragonGible Complete
Cap Ut Leon Indiana New Discoveries PsychicSolosis Complete
Xyza Kaitlyn Lysander Self-Acceptance PsychicRalts Complete
dr kekyll Aidan Forrester World Shaping (Brushfire) FireChimchar WIP
Acathala Gugu Barabajagal Back For Truth Bug/PoisonVenipede Complete
FunnyValentine Zachary Steele Experience Life Ground/DarkSandile or Ground/RockLarvitar Complete
- - - - -
- - - - -

Please let me know if you have any questions at all!

Last edited by Homestarbaby; 07-31-2020 at 11:37 AM. Reason: updating application list
Old 07-21-2020, 09:30 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 179
Silim Silim
Haven't heard of this system before, but I'm definitely interested in learning it. I'm going to get myself the rulebook soon, for now, here's an app:

Name: Vance Highwind
Appearance:
right-aligned image
Vance isn't particularly impressive at first sight, with messy, medium-length brown hair and brown eyes hidden behind glasses that can be quite shiny in the correct light. His clothes when not traveling are very well-maintained and high quality, usually resembling suits or school uniforms of higher education, but on the road, he wears sturdy clothes in muted colors if given the chance, to not stand out at all. He always seems to either look miserable, tired or scheming, which he self-deprecatingly has dubbed his 'resting starter villain face'.
Description: Despite first impressions from that appearance, Vance is far from any sort of villain. He's just an ordinary teenager, really - not big into Pokémon-training or following news about the league, unlike many, but he doesn't dislike the idea either. He's unfocused in life, unsure what he actually DOES want to do, and pretty bad at maintaining conversations, but doesn't actively avoid those either. He's someone who easily fades into the background, and doesn't seem to dislike the idea of being overlooked. It gives people less expectations of him.
Background: "What do I actually want to do?" is the question that has haunted Vance all his life. Being at least a bit smart, he developed some interest in fields of modern technology and research. Like most, he of course developed an interest in Pokémon and their training, but never attempted to go on a journey himself. Everything that has interested him, he has never fully followed up on, unsure if he really cares or not. Of course, now that the local professor is looking for assistants with a new project, there might just be a chance to figure himself out...
OOC Goals: Get out of his shell, and turn from someone unassuming you'd mistake for background decoration into a league challenger/ace trainer. Oh, and since you mentioned we should bring it up somewhere, catching a Swablu and having it evolve into Altaria would be amazing. Generally sticking a bit with a theme of generally flying and/or bird Pokémon, maybe? Though that's a lot less important.
Ideal Starter: Fletchling or other unassuming starter, like a Weedle
Roleplaying Sample: The sunlight reflecting off of Vance's glasses this summer day certainly made him look a bit odd and more imposing than usual, but it also made simply seeing where he was going a whole lot more difficult than it had any right to be. Squinting and putting a hand against his forehead for some much needed shade on his eyes, it really wasn't pleasant to stumble through the very place he had lived in for years just to find the Pokémon Lab. Why was he even here? He had no idea if working for someone like this would help him...

No, not again. This was a good idea! He'd be able to actually try a few things, if he worked for this project. He'd get to see more of their region, and of course, of those mysterious ancient ruins. And maybe he'd get to try his hands at some actual Pokémon training now. Who didn't dream about becoming a good trainer at some point? He wasn't sure if he still had that dream, but it was enough motivation to force himself to move forward. A step, then another, towards the lab, as he wiped his forehead off. It wasn't even that hot, but he felt like he was... burning up. Was that worry, or fear? A part of him didn't want things to change, at all. But at the same time, the rest of him yearned for something more...

Last edited by Silim; 07-22-2020 at 06:04 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:41 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 166
PSinha PSinha
An important Query

Quote:
The Setting: The world is going to play much more like the Pokémon Adventures manga than the anime series,
Does this mean that death is on the table?
Old 07-22-2020, 05:56 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
I am not in the habit of killing PCs easily, but yes it is a possibility.

Last edited by Homestarbaby; 07-22-2020 at 05:57 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:09 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 166
PSinha PSinha
I meant the Pokemon. That's the thing about the manga that always bothers me. Pokemon are casually killed in nearly every battle. It's not like that in your game, right?

I wanted to play this for some time. I think I will put in an application myself!

Last edited by PSinha; 07-22-2020 at 06:21 AM. Reason: Added last line
Old 07-22-2020, 10:17 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ah, my apologies for the misunderstanding. Killing a pokemon would have to be intentional, not by accident or certainly not every time you reduce their HP to 0. You cannot CAPTURE a pokemon with 0 HP, but you won't kill it either. And no, your pokemon will not die immediately if a Team Rocket grunt reduces it to 0 HP.

If you are familiar with 5e D&D, death is handled in a similar manner.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:19 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 196
Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Application for Pokemon: A Time To Grow

left-aligned image

Name: “Bug Catcher” Ben

Old 07-22-2020, 11:35 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1476
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
WIP
This character is 100% complete. Thank you for your patience!

CHARACTER NAME
right-aligned image
Yishka Kisagiri
Yishka Kisagiri
(Character Sheet)

Name ish-kah, the 'y' sound is there, but it's barely perceptible.Yishka kee-sah-gih-reeKisagiri
Nickname(s): Yishka, Yisha
Sex Female
Class(s) ?????
Tags Gentle, Foreigner
Alignment Neutral Good
Eye Color Almond
Hair Color Blonde
Skin Tone Caucasian
Height 147 cm
Weight 51.2 kg

Description

Short by comparison to other girls her age, Yishka has a somewhat plump form, which is further emphasized by the heavy clothing she wears, often consisting padded jackets, heavy boots, and a fluffy hat. She favors embroidered cloths and fabrics common to her homeland, and much of what she wears looks intrinsicly foreign, so she tends to stand out. Her face is round and miniscule dimples form whenever she smiles--which is quite regularly. She also has rosy-red cheeks that flare up when she's nervous.

Having been born in the wilder frontiers of her homeland, Yishka is built strong and hardy, more than capable of surviving the harsh winters of the far north. She speaks with an accent, particularly with hard 'v' and rolling 'r' sounds. Though not dextrous by any means, she has exceptional attention to detail, a trait she picked up living the wild frontier.

Personality

A soft-hearted and empathic soul, Yishka's gentle smile and outlandish demeanor is often more than enough to win over even the most dour and stubborn. Though she initially comes off as a bit rugged and naive, she has a certain charm to her, punctuated by her seemingly endless reserves of positive energy. Brave, if a bit reckless, she watches out for those around her, in particular, anyone in her care whether they be Pokemon or people. Coming from a wartorn background, she has a natural distaste for both corrupt beaurocrats as well as upstart revolutionaries, as well as anyone who willfully brings harm on someone else.

But while Yishka might be a ray of sunshine on the outside, darker thoughts linger beneath--memories of things she saw during her flight from her homeland. In a way, her positivity and benevolence is the only thing that takes her mind off it, and she'd rather run from her memories than face them. Some day she'll no doubt have to confront those demons, but that is perhaps a story for another time.

Since leaving the frontier, Yishka has taken a liking to learning, absorbing new information and always chasing after more. At this point, she's probably smarter than most kids her age, though it's largely more booksmart than streetwise--something which she is still painfully naive to.

Wishes, Goals and Motivations

Though Yishka's primary motivation in becoming a Pokemon trainer is to help support her family, she is not so depthless to have no desires of her own. Having lived most of her life in the frontier of her home country with her family, Yishka had little interaction with other children beyond her brothers. Similarly, she wasn't able to travel, nor go to school, and so having the world suddenly at her fingertips, she wants to explore it's great reaches, meet all sorts of interesting people, and get to know Pokemon. She also has a desire to learn, and has expressed interest now and then in becoming a Pokemon researcher.

More than anything, however, Yishka is just looking for her place in the world. She's always felt she's had a greater calling, and she believes this is finally her chance to seize whatever destiny awaits her!

Character Backstory

Originally born Essentially wherever the 'Russian' equivalent region is in the Pokemon world.elsewhere, Yishka and her mother, along with her three younger brothers, fled their homeland as a result of a civil war, eventually finding their way to a refugee camp in the neighboring region of Kalos. There, they had hoped to start a new life in peace and quiet, but they soon found that the Kalosian people less than hospitable with Yishka's people waging war upon themselves so close to their own borders. Desperate to help her family find peace and stability, Yishka willingly enrolled in a foreign exchange program, which grant a stipend of money to her family for housing a foreign youth, while she went to live with a family elsewhere.

Thus, the amicable Yishka came to live in the region of Veloria with a proxy family in the town of Sakura Falls. Communications early in their relationship was...strained, but Yishka was ultimately able to convey herself well enough, though she could tell that this arrangement, too, was going to difficult. Fortunately, it seemed that she had arrived just in time to participate in the annual ceremony in which new trainers were to be granted Pokemon--something that had been denied to her due to the outbreak of the civil war. Thus, after making all the necessary arrangements and getting permission from both her mother and her temporary family, she was granted a Trainer license, and set out to make her own way in the world with the idea that she'd use the money she made from being a trainer to assist her family's expenses.

Last edited by briar; 07-23-2020 at 06:03 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:40 AM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1476
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Does this world have any cultural influences like those of other Pokemon regions? Similarly, for the purpose of character/world-building, is this set in the traditional Pokemon world?
Old 07-22-2020, 12:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
To answer your questions in reverse order, yes this game is set in a traditional Pokemon world. Cultural influence is mostly Chinese but probably not as heavy as you would find in the latter game regions (particularly Alola).
Old 07-22-2020, 01:00 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Cap Ut
Are custom backgrounds permitted?
Old 07-22-2020, 01:09 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Custom Backgrounds are absolutely permitted, so long as they make sense.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:33 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11363
Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether Ziether
I am absolutely unfamiliar with PTU, but this ad appeals more than I can concisely state. I don't want to overextend myself, so I'm going to hold off on applying right this second, but once I hear back from the one pending application I have (next few days), I'll see about developing something for this. The tone seems perfect.
Old 07-22-2020, 01:47 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
By all means. The deadline for this game is still 2 weeks away, and I completely understand (from experience) that overextending yourself is very not fun!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:06 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Cap Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestarbaby View Post
Custom Backgrounds are absolutely permitted, so long as they make sense.
I was thinking about something like Friendly Hiker, with Adept Survival, Novice Perception and Pathetic Guile, Intimidate and Combat.