Pokemon A Time To Grow: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-22-2020, 02:20 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3134
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Yep, that background looks good to me!
Old 07-22-2020, 02:27 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 174
ShadSkad ShadSkad
Name: Pierce Everdeen

Appearance: Light brown hair, light skinned, black t-shirt and messenger bag, tan pants.

Description: Easy going, aloof unless their is trouble or a crisis, then he is one of the first to step up and try to help. Loves pokemon and treats them with kindness, not always fond of humans but they're usually decent enough.

Background: I've just been going to school and watching tv at home. most of my friends already had pokemon companions but I'm still waiting for mine. My mom's told me before that she'll get me one, but it's been 4 years and there has been no progress. (It was almost time for my little brother to get his starter)

One day my mom received a message from my uncle. It was a distress call but she couldn't make out much of what he said. With 3 other kids to take care of, she couldn't leave and decided it was finally time.
"Pierce, it's time for you to go on a journey"

I was worried for my uncle and wanted desperately to find him, but still I was ecstatic, this is what I've been waiting for, to be out in the world, training with a partner gaining actual world experience.

OOC Goals: My primary goal is to find my uncle and save him if possible.
In addition to that: I am hoping that I can find out more about pokemon, I'm something of a schoolboy turning into a researcher or scientist.

Finding out the origin of pokemon, their secret powers or what the future could hold in terms of devices utilizing pokemon abilities or something else. These are all things that interest Pierce.

Ideal Starter: Vanillite

Roleplaying Sample: "Pierce, are you listening to this"
My mother's voice pulled me to the present, away from my dreams. I muttered grumpily as I pulled on my clothes and headed downstairs to see what was going on.
"Pierce?!"
"I'm coming, I'm coming"

I finally made it down the stairs only to find my mother listening to her answering machine on speaker, tears in her eyes. I started listening to the static filled voicemail also to try to figure out the cause of her distress.
"...I'm sorry I won't be able to make it back for...
...and this cave is enormous, I left markings to find my way back but they seem to have...

...ice all around, not a bit of uncovered rock, it's a good thing I prepared for the weather but...

...how much longer I can...

...was able to catch a pokemon with my last...

...sent over to my PC...

...authorized Pierce to take it...

...Haven't been there much lately, don't know if I'll be able to make it back...
...wanna make sure he has a pokemon to protect him...
"

The message cut out at the end, and my mother reached over to start it again so I had to pull her arms so that she wouldn't torture herself with the message.
My mom could no longer hold it in and was openly sobbing. I took her in my arms and held her until my smaller siblings started waking up. Pulling herself together, she went to the kitchen to start breakfast. Looking up at me she spoke one last time, "You better get going, your uncle is waiting" she made sure to keep the comment vague so that my siblings wouldn't worry and then added, "and...make sure to call me...okay?"

I nodded my head and gulped, nervous and for some reason excited. after packing what I would need I gave my mother a kiss on the cheek and hugged my little brother and sisters, "I'm gonna be gone for a little while" I gave a quick look in my mom's direction and continued. "...to start my pokemon adventure, I'll be sure to call everyone and make sure you're all good for mom, I don't wanna hear about anyone acting up alright. With me out of the house, you're all going to have to help out a bit more around the house alright."
They all agreed profusely, My brother stood up, tall and proud, making sure everyone knew that he could handle being man of the house. I left my family with tears in their eyes and smiles on their faces, though my mothers smile was admittedly forced.

I'm ready to face the challenges ahead, I need to find my uncle and become stronger for my family.

Last edited by ShadSkad; 07-22-2020 at 02:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 03:10 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12205
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Ooh, looks fun.

Got a question on a character fit. I'm relatively certain my go-to won't fit due to Psychic Fire Powers and Mysterious Human Experiments, and another won't because he is practically a parody level mad-scientist-teenager. But I do have Sora.

You mentioned everything in 1.05 core is allowed but the extra material books aren't. Presumably that includes the Game of Throh's elementalist classes. But is Channeller and/or Sage from the core book on the table?

And I'm realizing that I may as well just post the character rather than alluding to it.

Sora
right-aligned image
Name: Sora Yukan

Appearance: Sora would be the creepy kid staring at you from the edge of the crowd if he'd never discovered his talent, making him infinitely creepier to those that know what he can do. He is rather scrawny and short, and prone to smiling at people he finds interesting. His eyes are often concealed behind a mop of lavender hair or his gasa-style hat, although there is nothing remarkable about them beyond the sometimes overly intense gaze. He wears a simple dark hued tunic and loose pants.

Description: Sora has more curiosity than sense and little appreciation for the concept of privacy or ownership. He's been called a thief, a sneak, and a creep on more than one occasion and doesn't particularly object to the terms. Being literally connected to his pokemon gives him an empathy towards them equal to, if not greater than, his empathy for other humans. He has a fondness for birds and rodents in particular, the former because of the experience of flying and the latter because of his history with them. He is prone to seeming non-sequiturs as there isn't much of a filter between his thought process and his mouth, which are as likely to be profoundly insightful as bizarrely confusing. He is intensely curious and wants to travel for the sake of seeing new things and overcoming new obstacles, as much for the experiences as to prove he can.

Background: Most psychics learn that their powers are unusual when, as a child, they describe what they can do to their parents. Sora never had that chance. At five years old, hungry and seeing a ratatta running by with a box of cookies, he left the orphanage's backyard behind to pursue. What started as an argument turned into haggling and finally recruitment, and before long Sora had teamed up with the ratatta to ensure 'all the snacks we could ever want'.

And thus began the long and lucrative career of Sora and Rat, Master Thieves.

At least until he was found a few weeks later after a string of petty thefts at various candy shops and bakeries. But he never forgot those weeks of freedom and fun, more for the chance to pit his skills and creativity against the adults' than for the candies (although absolutely the candies were a motivating factor). When he heard from other children that pokemon trainers got to travel all by themselves he immediately decided he would jump at the first chance he got.

OoC Goals: The Ruins Mystery is absolutely going to be Sora's primary goal, uncovering a secret like that just sings to his blood. Depending on initial character interactions he may end up latching onto an 'interesting person' in the form of one of the other players. Otherwise just kinda finding areas of interest, especially those that people don't want him in.

Ideal Starter: Rowlet. Definitely want to bring a Ratatta into the fold pretty quickly, too.

RP SampleIt took a while but Sora's patience was eventually rewarded when a nose poked out of the little hole in the wall near where he was sitting. After a moment the head popped out and looked around, immediately spotting him and freezing. The moment was all he needed as his senses jumped out to encompass the ratatta, and after a brief confusion he felt the link settle.

'No danger. Have food. Safe.'

He could sense it's confusion and caution, but also it's hunger. After a moment it exited the hole to eat the berry he had left out.

'More food. Trade?'

He knew from it's own memories that it could get where he needed to go, and with a little coordination it would be able to open the way for him. Nearly a minute later he felt it come to a decision, and his grin widened.

Sitting behind the desk on the chair far too large for him Sora might have looked comical, if not for the way he stared at the room's door unceasingly. Or for the fact that he wasn't supposed to be there. Which somewhat took the room's primary occupant by surprise as they opened the door, nearly dropping their coffee in surprise.

"Geezum, Sora, I've told you to stop doing that!"

"Hiya Officer Jenny!" he crowed, ignoring her complaint. If she wanted him to stop showing up in her office she should tell her deputies to stop turning him away at the door. Or at least close her window more often. Far too easy for a friendly pidgey to secure a rope to her window. Not that he'd tell her how the latter worked. Because then she might actually do it, along with blocking a number of his other 'tricks'. "I found your jewel thief."

It seemed like she was about to start talking again, which is why he'd jumped to his next statement. And from the way she lost her train of thought with the sudden new topic he felt he'd been right. He pushed forward a piece of paper with an address on it, and when she finally stepped forward and picked it up he hopped down to leave.

"The usual bag of snacks, I assume?" Officer Jenny asked with a weary sigh, referring to their usual arrangement since technically he was too young to claim the reward for 'information leading to arrest'.

"Nah. A bird told me Professor's doing something interesting. Get me on the list?"

He saw her eye twitch at the reference to 'a bird told me', since that was usually his response when she asked how he found out the things he knew. It wasn't his fault she didn't believe him. Well, I suppose technically it had been a bug this time, but he didn't think that would go over any better.

Last edited by AximusLokar; 07-22-2020 at 04:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Elementalist is not a viable option, but Channeller and Sage are legal.

I would add that travel will be a big part of this game, so Sage might be a bit more difficult to work into your story since they tend to be tied to sacred sites. But if you can manage either option for your character concept, they are both legal!
Old 07-22-2020, 04:25 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Seeing a lot of questions about STARTER POKEMON so I updated the first post to hopefully clarify. The starting area will have mostly gen-1 pokemon, but your starter pokemon can be from any game so long as they have 3 evolution stages.

Baby pokemon are valid 1st stage options, and stages can require items for evolutions so long as there are 3 total.

The only real exceptions, based on the game's recommendations, is that your starter cannot have Ghost or Steel types. So no Ghastly or Aron.

Also there will probably not be any MEGA evolution in this game, just in case that affects your preferences.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:32 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12205
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestarbaby View Post
The starting area will have mostly gen-1 pokemon, but your starter pokemon can be from any game so long as they have 3 evolution stages.
*hammers the edit button so hard it bursts into flames*

Rowlet!
Old 07-22-2020, 05:16 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1576
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Ooooh...well in that case.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:27 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
I'm guessing/hoping you mean that their first form cannot be steel or ghost? Because otherwise I'm totally rocking a Piplup
Old 07-22-2020, 05:38 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hmmm. You know, the book doesn't actually specify if that is a rule for all the stages or just the first one.

I read it as just the first form, since the whole idea is to avoid some game-breaking immunities at the start of the adventure. So yes, I would say Piplup would be a valid option.
Old 07-22-2020, 06:03 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 193
Silim Silim
We can start with other gen Pokémon potentially? Man, too bad that Swablu doesn't have 3 total stages. I'll change my starter preference to Fletchling then!
Old 07-22-2020, 06:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
I will update the 1st post with everyone's new choices.

Last edited by Homestarbaby; 07-22-2020 at 06:27 PM. Reason: got it done
Old 07-22-2020, 06:43 PM
Inter-dimensional Witch

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1576
briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar briar
Alrighty, I think I'm going to mark Yishka as 'complete'. I don't have a character sheet yet, but I think I'll wait to mess with that after the selection process if that's ok. Most likely I'll default to hobbyist off the get-go, though.

Woops! Nevermind, I lied, I need to do the RP sample xD

Ok, NOW I'm finished

Last edited by briar; 07-22-2020 at 08:12 PM.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:47 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5343
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
Forgive me if I'm being dense, but I'm only seeing a starting level for the pokemon, not the trainer. Does that mean we're starting at level one?
Or so it seemed
Old 07-22-2020, 09:12 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Correct, trainers start at level 1.
Old 07-22-2020, 11:30 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 246
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
As far as the backgrounds listed in the pdf (1.05), just curious how much leeway there is in customization there. Flavor-wise, my character is both Quick and Small, and a Wild Child. I was envisioning something like "Wild and Wiry," with skill-ups for Adept Survival and Novice Athletics, and skill-downs for Intimidate, Command, and General. Is that feasible?