Pokemon A Time To Grow: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook
0 2 1 0
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 12:43 AM
Adult Dragon Bones

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 316
PSinha PSinha PSinha PSinha
I just recalled the game recommendations (where you presumably got the Ghost Steel thing from) also have a note about imbalance between Trainer classes.
Sorry, I'm not at my laptop right now.
It's basically that Trainer classes who physically take part in Pokémon battles are a lot more powerful than classes who don't. So the recommendation is to restrict Trainer classes to either one kind or the other.
I'll edit this message later if needed, but you could probably take a look and decide before that.

Last edited by PSinha; Jul 23rd, 2020 at 02:08 AM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 03:17 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 121
Cap Ut Cap Ut
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSinha View Post
I just recalled the game recommendations (where you presumably got the Ghost Steel thing from) also have a note about imbalance between Trainer classes.
Sorry, I'm not at my laptop right now.
It's basically that Trainer classes who physically take part in Pokémon battles are a lot more powerful than classes who don't. So the recommendation is to restrict Trainer classes to either one kind or the other.
I'll edit this message later if needed, but you could probably take a look and decide before that.

From what I understood, the type restriction is intended only for the beginning, while what you propose would extend for the entire game.
Personally I don't see many problems with classes: combat is not the only part of the game and disparity in RPGs has hardly ever stopped people playing different kind of characters. Besides, someone can always take a fighting class later on if he feels is falling behind, or even multiple classes at the first level.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 08:52 AM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12950
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
It's also a matter of where one has chosen to invest their capacity. An Ace Trainer or Duelist has an enormous advantage over a Ninja or Roughneck when their ability to participate in the battle is limited or illegal (see: Almost every official pokemon battle ever). This becomes more and more pronounced as the battle capacity of pokemon eclipse anything a human could do, and the trainer classes build on that more and more.

Personally I'm planning on a good mix of utility features with some decent pokemon support so that I'm not useless in official battles (fairly certain non-offensive psychic powers like Chanellers aren't usually illegal in sanctioned matches).

I'm also starting to fantasy draft my Dream Team. While my Johnny Brockton character has always had a distinctly fire-type team, and my Professor Rex builds a finely tuned band of mutants, Sora's lineup is going to be chosen more for their capacity for larceny and shenanigans. Basically I'm going to be putting together my own Océamon 11.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 12:10 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4418
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
@Noquarter19 - Assuming you mean General Education for a skill-down, yes that would be perfectly fine.

@PSinha - You are correct that the game does also recommend not having trainers start out with classes that help in battle. But there are some factors that I use in my games to help deal with this issue. My GM style is Empowering Storyteller, and I work very hard to make sure everyone in the group is working together AND gets equal opportunities to shine as individuals. How I envision the PCs working together is one big factor I consider when reviewing applications for selection.

And since it has come up several times (and I have lots of free time at the moment), I will go ahead and update the first post with some more details on what you can expect from casual league matches, gyms, and so on.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 01:15 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 997
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Did someone say Pokemon?! I love love love PTU and am so glad to see a game for it here.

Application
right-aligned image

Name: Kaylee Yamato
Appearance: Kaylee is usually dressed like your average street punk, in crop tops and cutoff jeans mainly because she knows how much it bothers The Man(tm) under a long coat. She is almost always found with at least one can of spraypaint in her bag as well, so that she can show off her art skills.
Description: Kaylee is your prototypical "punk girl with a heart of gold". While she bucks against authority at pretty much every chance she gets, she also is a solid friend to those she gets close with. She has no problem speaking her mind, no matter who it is too, which tends to put her at odds with people on occasion, but for those who stick around and get through the tough girl exterior that she has developed to scare off people will find a sister in arms willing to stick by them through thick and thin. She is also a talented artist, though her medium of choice so far has been spraypaint and graffiti.

Background: Kaylee Yamato was born and raised in Kanto's Saffron City from fairly typical parents. Her dad was a graphic designer who worked at Silph Co, while her mother was a former trainer turned housewife. Things were fairly normal for the family until Kaylee's 10th birthday, when during the party her mother fainted and collapsed. Several weeks later, she had passed away from a sudden and aggressive cancer. In the wake of her death, depression and anger overtook the Yamato family. Kaylee's father grew aloof and his work started to suffer, while Kaylee herself started to act out and got herself involved with a couple of young street rattatas. The Crew (as they called themselves) never did anything serious, just lots of loitering and playing hookey, with the occasional vandalism and shoplifting a candy bar from the PokeMart. And so this is how things were for the next few years until a rival gang tried to take over The Crew's turf. This gang wasn't as kind-hearted as the Crew though, and saw no problem with roughing people up or busting a few shop windows. It was one rough night in particular, in which Kaylee earned a broken arm, that finally opened up her father's eyes to what was happening. Pulling himself out of the deep depression he was in, he pulled a few strings and called in some favors in order to be able to work at home, then moved the small family out of Saffron, to Sakura Falls.

OOC Goals: I want this to be a journey of self-discovery for Kaylee, to find who she is and finally come to grips with the loss she has experienced in her young life.

Ideal Starter: Gible

RP Sample:
The alleyway was quiet except for the hissing of the spray can as Kaylee finished her work, almost lost in her artwork. After a few final minutes and finishing touches, she tossed down the empty can and takes a few step back to admire her work: an large stylized image of a Moltress. As she gave a smirk, her Crewmate and lookout Jessica let out a low whistle in admiration. "I think that's the best one yet Kay."

"You really think so?" Kaylee asked with a grin, feeling a tingle of pride and excitement within her as she looked back over her masterpiece, then to Jessica again. There had been this odd feeling around the short goth girl lately that she couldn't put her finger on, it was like being at peace and nervous all at once, like the world around them just drifted away. And the longer she looked, the more it grew....

And then, without warning, blue and red flashing lights flooded the walls of the alleyway. Both Crewmate's eyes went wide and locked eachother in shock and fear. "The Jennys!" They called in unison before taking off in the opposite direction from where the lights were coming from. Scrambling and clambering over trash cans, the duo made their way to the exit...only to run right smack into the side of a large Arcanine.

"How did I know I would find you two here?" A sadly familar voice rang out, causing Kaylee to gulp as she was lifted by her jacket collar, only to meet Officer Jenny eye-to-eye before giving an exasperated sigh. Another night getting caught, another slap on the wrist and another impending lecture from her father. Just another night in Saffron City

Last edited by EmmaRae; Jul 23rd, 2020 at 01:15 PM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 01:34 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Got some GREAT applications up so far, and the game folder has already been set up for me so that's pretty exciting! Should give me enough time to get everything set up so we can start up the game as soon as possible.

The first post has been updated with more info on the setting, including the difference between League Sanctioned battles and free-for-all combat. I know a lot of you are already thinking about your starting class, so I hope the information helps you in your decisions. Happy to provide more information if you have any questions!
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 02:21 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 208
Silim Silim Silim
Got myself the rules now, so I'll be going through those. Perfect timing with the into there.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 02:42 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Wonderful! I have also updated the first post with a link to the game's website in case anyone else wants to take a look at the free downloads.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 03:05 PM
Consilio Et Prudentia

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5526
Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala Acathala
How active are team Rocket, or any of the other bad guy teams?
Or so it seemed
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 03:10 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
I am 90% certain that Team Rocket will be the bad guy group running the criminal underworld in this game. How much the cross paths with our trainers will depend on choices the PCs make in game.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 03:27 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 121
Cap Ut Cap Ut
Leon Indiana
left-aligned image

Name: Leon Indiana.

Appearance: Tall and slim, Leon has the appearance of a fit and energetic youngster, often scanning the horizon or the natural surroundings with his lively amber eyes. Short flocks of dark brown hair stick out from under a durable fedora, decent shield against sun and precipitation. Leon's typical outfit also includes a waterproof jacket with multiple pockets, comfortable tracksuit bottoms and a pair of flexible rain boots, and, of course, you'll never see him around without his trusty and practical backpack.

Description: Fresh outdoor air can be a real panacea, but for some people, like Leon, is life itself: nothing satisfies his thirst for adventure more than exploring the wilderness and braving the elements; nothing can fill his soul with serenity like the sound of chirping birds and crickets or the view of uncontaminated sceneries. Oddly enough, his distaste for four walls and a roof doesn't lessen in the slightest his enjoyment of spelunking.
Leon has a curious mind overall, always willing to learn new things about the natural world or anything useful for his adventurous life-style, and his meek and carefree personality makes him a good traveling companion, along with his knowledge and resourcefulness. When you meet him for the first time, he can seem a reserved person, as he usually needs some time to develop interest in new acquaintances.

Background: Leon's family is not particularly remarkable: only son, his mother is a pharmacist and the father an accountant and they live together in an ordinary house on the outskirts of Sakura Falls.
Innate explorer, his inclinations were set the moment, as a child, his gaze reached the majestic peaks of the Chocolate Mountains and he could conjure in his young mind, What's further?
During his school years, despite being distracted by the view from the classroom window for great part of the lessons and spending most of his free time playing outdoors, Leon always managed to get good grades and often deepened certain topics of his own initiative. At recess he was usually by himself, away as much as he could from pointless drama and squabbles.
Conflict avoidance characterizes Leon still to this day; he has always had some escape route at his disposal, physical, through the woods, or in the form of mental detatchment, coherently with his carefree attitude.
(Evasive Hiker: Adept Survival, Novice Perception, Pathetic Combat, Guile and Intimidate)

OOC Goals: I personally love to explore fictional worlds through the eyes and ears of my characters, so my out of character goals are pretty much in line with Leon's goals: to visit new lands and make interesting discoveries; I'd also like to see him become some sort of legendary adventurer, if the campaign is long enough.

Ideal Starter: Solosis.

Roleplaying Sample:

Back to the trunk and leg hanging from the branch, Leon was whistling in concert with the surrounding sounds of nature and the growl from below, calmly waiting for his phone call to be answered.

Finally, Ehi Ma, it's me... Yeah, I'm fine, I had a good time today... Francis? He had to head home, or he would have been late for dinner...

Barf barf!

Sorry, just a dog barking... I'm fine, I told you... About dinner: I ventured a bit far this evening, so don't wait for me, I'll eat the sandwich I brought along... Yeah, don't worry... Love you too, bye.

Leon put his phone back in the pocket and directed his attention to the Growlithe at the base of the tree, which was still waging its tail aggressively, Has anyone ever told you that it's rude to bark during other people's calls?

Barf!

I can't argue against that, he responded unfazed. How am I going to escape this situation...? Wait a second! Leon snapped his fingers as an idea came to him. The sandwich... I could use it as a bait!
With a sense of victory, the young adventurer pulled out his meal from the backpack and waved it in front of the pokemon's eyes, You like ham, eh?

Barf barf!

Leon started the throwing motion, stopped, looked pensive at the sandwich, took a large bite and then threw the rest.
The Growlithe turned its head for just a moment before resuming growling at the intruder.
And there it goes my dinner... and my escape plan, Leon thought disappointed.
Let's see... I could try to jump and grab onto that other tree... yes, I can definitely do that, than I reach the nearby stone, climb down the other side and run away, easy peasy, he smiled smug. Let's do it!
As soon as he stood up on the branch, a cracking noise could be heard.
Uh oh...

Last edited by Cap Ut; Jul 24th, 2020 at 04:40 PM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2020, 10:16 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 208
Silim Silim Silim
So for assigning mechanics to my background, how does this sound:

Passion Seeker: Novice General Education, Adept Guile, Pathetic Acrobatics, Focus and Combat
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 11:59 AM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
Looks good to me!
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 02:49 PM
Kipplebobby Shadowhand

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 339
ShadSkad ShadSkad ShadSkad ShadSkad
How are HM's going to work,

for instance if i had a lapras, would it need to learn surf to ferry me across a body of water?
Old Jul 24th, 2020, 03:05 PM
Great Wyrm
Good People

Tools
User Statistics
An excellent question. To use your example, if your Lapras knows surf then it can ferry you across the water safely with no rolls involved. If it does not have Surf, it would require a skill check that would increase in difficulty based on circumstances and the number of people being ferried.

Same concept applies for Fly, Waterfall, Dive, and Strength (which is associated with pulling carriages and carts in addition to pushing rocks). Cut is not required for transportation and only adds a bonus to your attempts to cut through something.

I would add that most any Tutor worth their salt will have access to these HMs, so the moves will be much easier to get than they are in most games.