Pokemon A Time To Grow: A Pokémon Tabletop United Game - Page 5 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-25-2020, 05:24 PM
Chaos Bacon Whale

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12255
AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar AximusLokar
Nah we're just excited and planning things out.

Last edited by AximusLokar; 07-25-2020 at 05:24 PM.
Old 07-26-2020, 05:51 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 130
Xyza Xyza
Kaitlyn Lysander

Last edited by Xyza; 07-27-2020 at 01:04 AM.
Old 07-26-2020, 08:56 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 56
Cap Ut
Given that the RPG is clearly more simulationist than the videogame, what are the logistic implications of feeding carnivore pokemons? Can I expect to use the Survival skill to provide for them, hunting small game and such?

Last edited by Cap Ut; 07-26-2020 at 08:57 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 08:38 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
FunnyValentine FunnyValentine
You said that pokemon are more animalistic than in the anime, closer to the adventures manga. How far does this go? Are they essentially just super powered animals now? And how does this work for psychic types, which can communicate with humans in the anime and according to the games are many times smarter than humans in some cases?

Also, writing up my app when I get home from work, should be up by tonight

Last edited by FunnyValentine; 07-27-2020 at 08:39 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:03 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3142
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
@dr kekyll - As AximusLokar says, everyone is just making future plans for their characters. You do not have to decide on a starting class for the application, and the due date is not until next week. But now is a great time to ask questions about classes and how the game might play out so you know what you might be getting yourself into!

@Cap Ut- Killing pokemon is strictly forbidden by the League once you are a sponsored trainer, so fishing out Magikarp to feed your Houndoom is not really an option. Most trainers rely on buying pokefood or cooking curry and such while outdoors. It is also allowed for you to let your pokemon out of their balls and off screen, like a Grecian playobtain their own food without any trainer directives. In this case, the skill check is made by the pokemon instead of the breeder.

@FunnyValentine - I suppose there actually are pokemon with human-level intelligence and beyond, such as many psychics and legendary pokemon. So a Pikachu will not be able to offer its opinion on popular popstars, but an Alakazam might want to discuss string theory with its trainer. I will be depending on the manga and pokedex entries to make those decisions.

My intention with the game is to keep it fun. The coming-of-age flavor and theme are focused on the trainers rather than the pokemon. Trainers should not need to question the morals of being trainers, for example, by considering pokemon freedom rights or wrestling with the morals of killing and eating a pokemon VS catching and training it. There are some good games to deal with those issues, but that is not where I want to take the focus of this game.

The pokemon you catch and train will WANT to be your friends, and I expect the player trainers to want them as well. This is one of my big reasons for saying NO EVIL CHARACTERS up front. Not that I think anyone applying is trying to be cruel to pokemon. I am just trying to explain where I am coming from with these decisions. Hopefully it all makes sense.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:44 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 150
FunnyValentine FunnyValentine
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestarbaby View Post
@dr kekyll - As AximusLokar says, everyone is just making future plans for their characters. You do not have to decide on a starting class for the application, and the due date is not until next week. But now is a great time to ask questions about classes and how the game might play out so you know what you might be getting yourself into!

@Cap Ut- Killing pokemon is strictly forbidden by the League once you are a sponsored trainer, so fishing out Magikarp to feed your Houndoom is not really an option. Most trainers rely on buying pokefood or cooking curry and such while outdoors. It is also allowed for you to let your pokemon out of their balls and off screen, like a Grecian playobtain their own food without any trainer directives. In this case, the skill check is made by the pokemon instead of the breeder.

@FunnyValentine - I suppose there actually are pokemon with human-level intelligence and beyond, such as many psychics and legendary pokemon. So a Pikachu will not be able to offer its opinion on popular popstars, but an Alakazam might want to discuss string theory with its trainer. I will be depending on the manga and pokedex entries to make those decisions.

My intention with the game is to keep it fun. The coming-of-age flavor and theme are focused on the trainers rather than the pokemon. Trainers should not need to question the morals of being trainers, for example, by considering pokemon freedom rights or wrestling with the morals of killing and eating a pokemon VS catching and training it. There are some good games to deal with those issues, but that is not where I want to take the focus of this game.

The pokemon you catch and train will WANT to be your friends, and I expect the player trainers to want them as well. This is one of my big reasons for saying NO EVIL CHARACTERS up front. Not that I think anyone applying is trying to be cruel to pokemon. I am just trying to explain where I am coming from with these decisions. Hopefully it all makes sense.
Makes perfect sense, thanks for the explanation! Man, trying to decide my starter now and I never realized how many of my favorite pokemon only have one evolution haha. Are psuedo legendaries(salamence, dragonite, etc) ok choices?

Last edited by FunnyValentine; 07-27-2020 at 09:51 AM.
Old 07-27-2020, 09:53 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby Homestarbaby
Dratini and other rare-but-not-legendary pokemon are viable options, yes. I do plan on each player's starter being unique in the game, as far as wild pokemon go. So just keep in mind that if you take Dratini as a starter, for example, then your group will never encounter a wild Dratini in game.
Old 07-28-2020, 10:55 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
First post has been updated with all current application info, so far as I am aware. If you see anything that I missed or you want to make any changes before deadline, please let me know. I would hate to miss it!

The deadline for applications is still next week!

Old 07-28-2020, 11:21 AM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 314
EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae EmmaRae
Quote:
Originally Posted by Homestarbaby View Post
The deadline for applications is still next week!
Uuuuughhh, so long away!
Old 07-28-2020, 11:48 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, sorry about that. I really didn't expect to get the game folder so quickly after posting this. And now that I have made the deadline, I don't really feel good about changing it. Even though everyone that has applied so far has completed their application, I think there are still some players that have not yet applied but want to.
Old 07-28-2020, 04:20 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 50
dr kekyll
it occurs to me i should ask now if the type sync feature will be available? it's kind of key to my current concept, but i still have time to go in a different direction. it's referenced in the core rules, but the feature itself is on page 47 of game of throhs.

Last edited by dr kekyll; 07-28-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 05:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Type Sync for moves is available in some core class features, I believe. As a GM tool, I will be using Type Sync on pokemon to add some unique flavor to the game, such as was done in Alola for example. How were you hoping to use it in game for your character?
Old 07-28-2020, 06:02 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
dr kekyll
Character Application
left-aligned image

Name: Aidan Forrester
Appearance: Aidan is 5'10", lean and angry looking. He has lightly tanned skin, dark brown hair and heterochromia. His fondness for black clothing (with a few red accents like his hoodie) and the constant pissed-off look in his mismatched eyes practically scream "don't ****ing talk to me!"
Description: Angry should not be confused with cruel. Aidan might not be particularly interested in dealing with people, but he's actually quite kind and nurturing. He just finds plants and pokémon easier to understand, and that understanding breeds patience. Unfortunately, the opposite is also true, and Aidan often finds himself frustrated with the pace of human progress which he sees as only being impeded by our own ineptitude. Sometimes he wishes he could burn it all down and grow something new in its place.
Background: Aidan had a happy childhood. His father was a chef. His mother was an herbalist. They loved each other and Aidan very much. Aidan spent lots of time outdoors, and he even played with the other kids. However, when he was ten, his mother became very ill. His father spent everything he had on her treatment, but, in the end, death won. After that, he just lost the will to go on. He stopped working. He barely ate. And Aidan was forced to grow up quickly to take care of not only himself but his despairing father.
OOC Goals: I'm hoping Aidan's adventures can lead to him participating in some relatively epic "world shaping" event where he can discover what he truly believes in; he's young and idealistic. Also, to being the worlds bestest (and maybe onliest) Brushfire Ace.
Ideal Starter: Chimchar

Last edited by dr kekyll; 08-07-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:04 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
dr kekyll
so the plan is to have elemental connection (grass) and do grass and fire ace. eventually i want to type shift my starter into a grass/fire Infernape. i'm totally open to any additional RP requirements you'd want me to do to accomplish that.

Last edited by dr kekyll; 07-28-2020 at 06:13 PM.
Old 07-28-2020, 06:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
That would probably work as an in-game possibility, if your character is willing to work towards it (knowingly or otherwise) in the story.