RPXP: 1156
Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz Schwarz
Challenges Vault

Game NameChallenges Vault
Game SystemGURPS 4e
ThemeLearning Gurps while going through different challenges
FlavourLow-Magic, Open-Ended, Sandbox, Cooperative World-building
GURPS SYSTEMWhat is GURPS? Well, let itself answer your question:

GURPS stands for “Generic Universal RolePlaying System,” the RPG that these rules are condensed from. Why is it called that?

“Generic.” GURPS starts with simple rules, and builds up to as much optional detail as you like. This abridged version presents the “core rules” that most GMs start with.
“Universal.” The basic rule system is designed to emphasize realism. It can fit any situation – fantasy or historical; past, present, or future.
“Roleplaying.” This is not just a “hack-and-slash” game. The rules are written to make true roleplaying possible – and to encourage it. In GURPS, you pretend, for a little while, to be someone else.
“System.” Over 200 different books have been published for GURPS, in eight different languages (so far). It is one of the recognized standards for roleplaying, worldwide.

GURPS Lite Free - here you can find a free version of this game, which will help you to create your first character (yes, this book will be enough, if anything else is needed, Ill adjust your character later). LINK: http://www.warehouse23.com/products/...fourth-edition

The IdeaThe objective of this game is to have a platform for players to be able to learn Gurps or experienced Gurps players to just go thru a short challenge. There will not be a major campaign with a specific group, however, the world will be the same and will be cooperatively created. Characters will be able to interact among themselves, for character development, between one challenge and another. And players will be able to offer different ideas of challenges they would want to experience.

Each challenge will require different kinds of skill sets and approaches. And even though the game is not centered around the adventures of only one group, you will be able to create and develop your own characters, but you can also just select one pre-made character if all you want is to simply do the challenge.

Initially, the game will offer a few initial challenges that are planned to last a few months if much, after the challenge, that character will need to wait until another quest, requiring that specific skill set, is created. We will begin a challenge whenever it is available (created), has at least two interested players and their character sheets are ready to start that specific challenge. Then a private thread will be created, which will let us offer the same challenge to other interested players.

Challenges - Examples
Quest Quest Giver Challenge Level Skill Set Details Objectives Rewards
My First Heist Trusty Dealers [Thieves Gang] Medium Thievery/Stealth You need to be proven, you need to show your value. The target is the house of a very famous artisan, and a huge amount of valuable objects will need to be stolen Gather at least XX gold in objects Gang Membership
The Rescue Baron Edward Hard Combat/Tactics A scouting squad never returned after an ambush. The camp of the attackers was found and will now be assaulted Rescue and Destroy A promotion, gold, and new responsibilities
Into the Pit Gladiator's Master Very Hard Combat/Acrobacy/Agility It's your last fight, you have proven to be one of the best gladiators and now you'll fight for your freedom Get out of the pit alive while facing an unknown monster Your freedom, slave
Sparring Time Your Training Buddy Easy Just Fighting Your master is training a new recruit and you need to be his fight companion Just try a few skills and maneuvers Maybe your master will give you some rest for a day and you'll don't need to wash the dishes
The Long Route Caravan Master Hard Combat/Medical/Knowledge A bridge that would grant access to the short route was broken, now the caravan needs to go back and go across a lawless plain full of dangers All caravan member should be alive, and no goods should be stolen A big amount of gold and renown
Nasty Nasties Baron Edward Medium Combat/Tracking/Survival/Knowledge Goblinoids are rare creatures around these lands, but it seems that a band of goblins called Nasty Nasties has been stealing and raiding small villages and travelers, the Baron wants that pest to disappear Find their hideout, retrieve as much stolen goods as possible, bring prisoners for interrogation Gold and a promotion
The Little Eggs Baron Edward Very Hard Tracking/Stealth/Knowledge/Combat A terrible and mythical creature was seen in the woods, its presence is a menace for the stability of the lands, but many would die trying to fight it in plain combat, so the Baron wants you to relocate the creatures' eggs while it's out hunting Find the creature lair and its eggs, get your horses and put the eggs into a pre-established place, return alive A piece of land and a huge amount of renown
____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____ ____

ApplicationsMy intention is to accept everyone, but we will have a few conditions for that. If you want to join this game, I'll just ask you to give us two character concepts, you don't need to go in-depth. Also, at least two ideas of challenges for each character.

You can be very creative with your ideas, just stick to a very low-magic setting. You're not allowed to be a magic-user or have anything magical.
Magic in Gurps is a little too advanced topic, and can be very confusing, for a new player. However, I'm planning to add magic and special powers later on when you're more experienced.

The character sheet and mechanical details will be explained later on. I'll give you all the support for that and be available to answer any questions related to that and even suggest related skills that usually define some professions. Differently than the usual class and level systems, for example DnD, Gurps uses a freeform system based on points to spend, so you can select any skills you want and create a character the way you desire.

TemplateCharacter 1

Name/Alias: name and family name, nickname or just an alias
Short backstory: it's not necessary to be very long if you don't fell inspired, just a few lines but that will make him unique person
General skillset: just a few examples, like: swords, stealth, intrigue, science, tactics, etc.
Profession: something related to the challenge you're proposing and the skillset above.
Ideals/Personality: for what the character lives for, what he defends, what he likes/dislikes, his passions, just a few words to give us an idea.
Short-term goals: at least 2 objectives that this character wants to fulfill this year.
Long-term goals: at least one major 5-10 years objective.
Challenge 1: just a general idea and description
Challenge 2: just a general idea and description
* You don't need to choose the quest examples, you can create completely new ones and characters fitted to those challenges you created.

FAQ1. When will it begin? I was thinking about the minimum interest to be able to commit more time to this idea. So, I'll give this game 2 weeks, if we can get 6 players interested at least, I'll ask the admins to create the game forum.

I'm absolutely forgetting a lot of things, so help me by asking a lot of questions. And let me know if you have any suggestions and insights to add to this idea

Last edited by Schwarz; 07-25-2020 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 05:29 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 272
Valornor Valornor Valornor
Greetings,
When I was in my teens back in the late 80's I played a few games of what I think was GURPS 2nd edition. So I vaguely remember some of the rules. Here are my two PCs
Character 1
Name/Fenix/The Fox
Short backstory: When he was 4, Fenix's parents were moving from one village to another. Having to pass through a city that had the only bridge that crossed a wide river. Having crossed the bridge and nearly exiting the other side of the city. His family's mule pulled cart was hit broadside by a runaway freight wagon. Killing his parent's. Fenix grew up going first a orphanage and when he got older a a work house, (Think Oliver Twist) which he ran away from when he was 9, joining a street urchin gang. As he got older he got the nickname of 'The Fox' for his red hair, but also the sly plans he came up with to separate their 'Mark' from their coin purse, etc.. He has recently gotten old enough he became a probationary member of the city's Thieves Guild.
General Skillset: Area Knowledge, Brawling, Carousing, Climbing, Disguise, Escape, Gambling, Holdout, Jump, Lockpicking, Melee Weapon: Knife/Shortsword, Missile Weapon: Sling, Observation, Pickpocket, Scrounging, Shadowing, Smuggling, Stealth, Swimming, Traps.
Profession: Thief
Ideals/Personality: The Gods help those who help themselves. Change is the natural state of things. Sooner or later the low are lifted up, and the high and mighty are brought down.
Short-term goals: Become a full time member of the Thieves Guild. Earn enough gold to buy Alenia, the young woman he is love with. Who is a servant in a wealthy merchant's household. Out of her indenturement.
Long-term goals: Save enough gold so he and Alenia can get away away from the city and buy a tavern or inn in some large village or small town. An run it while raising a family and into their old age.
Challenge 1: My first Heist!
Challenge 2: My second Heist!

Character 2
Name/Alias: Wulfric Gladewarder/Wulf or Ric to those in his family.
Short backstory: Wulfric is the 2nd eldest son of Baron Edward's Head Huntsman/Forester: Wulfhere Gladewarder. Wulfric's older brother is Wulfhere Jr. The two brothers have grown up being trained by their in all skills they need to know. Current Wulfhere Jr. is laid up with bad wound he received when killing a boar when Baron Edward's boarspear's shaft shattered and was about to gore the noble. Thus when the call to raise a force to make the Rescue. It is Wulfric who take the place his older brother would of likely had taken. It is Wulfric's job to get the rescue party with in striking range of the camp of the attackers without being detected.
General Skillset: Area Knowledge, Brawling, Camouflage, Climbing, Escape, First Aid, Hiking, Jump, Melee Weapon: Knife/Battle Axe, Missile Weapon: Longbow, Naturalist, Navigation, Observation, Riding, Stealth, Survival, Swimming, Tactics, Tracking, Traps.
Profession: Huntsman/Forester
Ideals/Personality: Wulfric greatest desire is get out from behind his older brother's shadow. He is tired of always playing second fiddle in the eyes of his father and those around him.
Short-term goals: Do something that will make a name for himself. Figure out the best way of breaking away from his current situation. Perhaps leaving and striking out on his own.
Long-term goals: Perhaps opening a guide service through a particularly rough bit of terriotory.
Challenge 1: The Rescue
Challenge 2: Finding his place in the World.

Last edited by Valornor; 07-23-2020 at 05:39 AM.
Old 07-22-2020, 10:50 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Valornor, nice to see you around! Yeah, Gurps had a few changes from the 2ed, I highly recommend the free lite rules I linked in the OP.

Very nice concepts! Just one thing about the challenges, I really would appreciate if you could give me a little bit more details on both challenges #2. Something to help me build those quests in the future and for other people to check if they want to join also, because we need at least 2 players for each quest.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:18 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
It kind of hard conceptualize a 2nd Challenge when I know so little about the actual game setting, in either case. I figure as the 1st Challenges progresses. It will become more clear what the 2nd Challenge should be in both cases. I should add that Fenix only redistributes the wealth of those individuals who can well afford the loss of what they have been parted from.
Old 07-22-2020, 04:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Oh no problem then Valornor, it was just in case you had any further ideas and would like to cooperate with the world-building, as I said, the setting is pretty open and accommodating to new ideas.
Old 07-22-2020, 08:23 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2865
Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil Mythrandil
Keep me in a list of alternates for a few months from now? I'm afraid with Outplay I don't even have the bandwidth to give you a proper application right now, but think it would be fun to learn GURPS
Old 07-22-2020, 11:01 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schwarz View Post
Oh no problem then Valornor, it was just in case you had any further ideas and would like to cooperate with the world-building, as I said, the setting is pretty open and accommodating to new ideas.
So what is the next step in this learning process?
Old 07-22-2020, 11:23 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@Mythrandil, Hey good to see you! Hope you have a great time with Outplay.

@Valornor, Good point, will even add this to the OP.

I was thinking about the minimum interest to be able to commit more time to this idea. So, I'll give this game 2 weeks, if we can get 6 players interested at least, I'll ask the admins to create the game forum.

Last edited by Schwarz; 07-22-2020 at 11:25 PM.
Old 07-23-2020, 01:10 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Ok, I'll be standing by then.
Old 07-23-2020, 04:06 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 157
Murdoch Murdoch
I am interested in playing and I will start working on characters shortly. I played GURPS many years ago and I should have some books around somewhere, but I'm not sure which edition. I downloaded the pdf you provided, so I can get started with that. I have an inkling of an idea for a Dwarf. Do you plan on any race restrictions?
Old 07-23-2020, 08:07 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Murdoch, welcome!
Well, for complete beginners creating their 1st character, I would not recommend races yet, but if you already know how to go with that, that's completely fine.
Old 07-23-2020, 09:21 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics

GM, if that's the case. I would like to make Fenix a Halfling, if I may!

Last edited by Valornor; 07-23-2020 at 09:24 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 03:39 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
I found a fourth edition pdf with a racial package for Dwarves, so I would like to use that if it's okay. Here is my Dwarf character. I will hopefully get my human to you today as well. The racial package comes with a few more artisan skills and the like. I think it's 40 or 45 points, but I would have to change some of the disadvantages I think. I know I would not take greedy and I would likely add a code of honor. Let me know what you think.

Name: Gavin
Background
Gavin grew up as the youngest of two brothers in a family with a history of serving in the royal guard. This began with his grandmother, Ysabel the Red, an honor she earned on the same day she got her name. There is a large town in the foothills of the mountains that the Dwarves traded with. When Ysabel was a young adult several Goblin tribes banned together and began attacking the trade caravans. To put an end to this the Dwarven king had a fake caravan assembled with soldiers hiding in the wagons and disguised as the merchants and the expedition was being led by the prince. The ruse worked and the Goblins attacked the caravan. If it had been a normal raid the Dwarves would have had plenty of soldiers to deal with the Goblins, but since the last raid a group of Ogres had joined the Goblins and the tide of battle began to go against the Dwarves. Ysabel found herself fighting next to the prince, who was fending off two of the larger Goblins. An Ogre saw the prince was distracted and lunged at him with a spear. Ysabel knew she couldn’t block the blow, so she stepped in front of it and was impaled on the spear. With a shout of rage Ysabel walked down the shaft of the spear, forcing it through her body so she could get close enough to hit the Ogre. She then laid into the beast with her axe with such ferocity that the rest of the battle came to a stop as everyone turned to look. When the Ogre finally fell Ysabel had severed both of its arms and she was covered in its blood. The display was so unnerving the Goblins and Ogres fled. From that day on everyone called her Ysabel and Red and for her bravery she was given a position on the prince’s guard, and she eventually became the captain of his guard when he became the king.
Ysabel has since retired but Gavin’s father and uncle are both members of the king’s guard. In the last Goblin war several years ago his older brother distinguished himself enough to be granted a spot on the prince’s guard. Unfortunately for Gavin, peace has reigned in the mountains since then, so he has had no opportunity to win a spot on the guard. His brother has a tendency to lord this over him and Gavin is fed up with it. He has always had a bit on wanderlust anyway, so he has decided to leave home to become a skilled warrior in order to win his own spot on the royal guard.

Skills Area knowledge, Axe, Short Bow, Shield, Brawling, Carousing, Climbing, First Aid, Observation, Survival, Knife

Profession Warrior

Ideals/Personality
Gavin desperately wants to live up to his family legacy. He practices with his weapons whenever he can, going through his workout alone if necessary but he always likes a sparring partner. He makes sure to keep his weapons and armor in pristine shape, not only to make a good impression but because they will better serve him that way. The actions of a royal guard reflect upon the royal family, so Gavin tries to hold himself to a high standard. He will seek to help those in need and he can’t abide bullies. While not greedy, Gavin does fit the stereotype of a Dwarf when it comes to spending money and he can pinch a copper with the best of them. He can’t swim at all and he is afraid of the water. He is outgoing and sometimes a bit boisterous, but he takes battle very seriously and he seeks every opportunity to learn something new. He secretly wants to perform a spectacular act of bravery and earn a name like his grandmother did.

Short Term Goal 1 Gavin would like to find a job that would let him travel a little while also providing an opportunity to better his combat skills

Short Term Goal 2 A royal guard is a reflection on the royal family, so Gavin wants to earn enough money to outfit himself in decorative armor and buy the finest weapons. He will not give up function for looks, so he will need to make quite a bit of money to be able to afford one of the best craftsmen back home.

Long Term Goal
Gavin wants to become a skilled enough warrior that he can return home and earn a spot on the royal guard.

Challenge 1 Being a caravan guard would allow Gavin to both travel and hopefully fight, so he is looking for something along those lines. He would take a land or river job, even though he is afraid of the water.

Challenge 2 Carrying some of his prejudices from home with him, as well as a desire to help those in need, Gavin would like to help people being threatened by Goblins, Orcs, or similar nasty creatures.

Last edited by Murdoch; 07-24-2020 at 04:13 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:20 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch
Here is my human Ranger.

Name: Simon

Background
Simon grew up in a decent size village on the edge of a forest and near a quarry. His father was a mason, so he always had work and his family prospered. Simon was drawn to working with stone and when he turned 12 his father began to teach him the trade. It was hard work but Simon enjoyed working with his father and he loved being able to look at a large stone and see the shape it needed to be and being able to coax that shape out of it. When he was 14 he helped his father build them a new house out of stone and he was incredibly proud of that, especially because it was one of only a few stone building in the village.

On occasion their village was visited by Simon’s uncle Stefan, who was a Ranger who roamed the forest keeping the forces of evil at bay. As much as Simon loved working with his father he idolized his uncle. Stefan would tell the village tales of his adventures, which always made him seem larger than life. Not surprisingly, Simon wanted to be just like his uncle. When he was 16 his uncle agreed to teach him the skills he had learned. His parents weren’t too happy with that at first, but they knew forbidding it would only make Simon want to learn more and that Stefan would do everything in his power to keep Simon safe. Since his uncle’s duties kept him away for long periods of time Simon’s training took place over many years. He knew he would have limited time with his uncle, so Simon made sure to immerse himself in his lessons whenever they happened. He learned how to track animals and people, move quickly and quietly through the landscape, and how to survive off the land. His uncle also taught him how to shoot a longbow and how to fight.

When Simon turned 21 his uncle told him he was ready to become a full fledged Ranger and to celebrate he gave Simon a set of green leather armor, a longbow and arrows, and a new spear. Then they went into the forest for several weeks together with Stefan letting Simon take the lead. After a couple of weeks they came across evidence of a large force of Orcs that had passed by several days earlier and, unfortunately, they were headed for Simon’s village. He and his uncle raced home as quickly as they could, but they were too late. By the time they arrived the village had been attacked and the main body of Orcs had already headed off with their spoils. There was only a rearguard left when Simon and his uncle arrived and the two of them attacked. They fired arrows into the enemy until the Orcs charged, then they had no choice but to draw their weapons and engage in melee. Simon managed to hold his own, but Stefan was a sight to behold, cutting a bloody swath through the Orcs. The Orc commander quickly determined that Stefan was the biggest threat and he and his bodyguards attacked him. Simon lost track of his uncle while he was fighting for his life, but when he managed to drop his final enemy he saw that his uncle and the rest of the Orcs were also dead. Simon carried his uncle back to his house, where he found his parents’ bodies. Over the next few weeks Simon used stones from his family home to build a mausoleum where he laid his parents and uncle to rest. With no family left and the memory of his dead parents overwhelming his fond memories of growing up, Simon took his father’s mason tools and left to find a new purpose.

Skills Area Knowledge, Survival, Camouflage, Stealth, Spear, Shield, Longbow, Broadsword, Thrown Spear, Tracking, Brawling, First Aid, Climbing, Observation, Swimming, Masonry (We will have to figure this out)

Profession Ranger

Ideals/Personality
Simon has always been outgoing and friendly, always greeting his neighbors with a smile and a kind word. Recent events have made him more morose, but one he processes his grief he will probably return to his pleasant self. Growing up with his uncle as an example, Simon will always seek to protect others from evil. He willingly puts himself in harm’s way to shield the innocent and defenseless. Not surprisingly, he has a burning hatred of Orcs. Since his parents and uncle were killed he has started to drink too much, but hopefully that’s just a phase.

Short Term Goal 1 Simon just wants to keep busy so he doesn’t think about his dead family all the time. If he can find a way to help others, so much the better.

Short Term Goal 2 Simon would like to find someone who can teach him tactics, strategy, and how to lead soldiers. He knows these are skills he will need if he is to gather an army to avenge his family.
Long Term Goal Simon would like to take an army back home and wipe out the Orcs that destroyed his village and killed his family.

Challenge 1 Simon would like to find something that uses his wilderness skills. It could be anything from tracking an outlaw, participating in a raid on an outlaw band or a raiding party threatening innocent villagers, or he would even settle for finding a lost person or animal.

Challenge 2 Simon wouldn’t mind taking some type of job in a city, even though his particular skills are not best suited for that environment. He would prefer a job protecting someone who is in danger, but he could take a day job as a mason. Maybe that would lead to him finding secret passages to explore or uncovering a secret meeting place of the local criminal organization.
Old 07-24-2020, 05:45 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
@Valornor, sure you can go with Halfling if you know your way around.

@Murdoch, very nice character concepts, thanks for joining.