Other [Lancer] Code Geass: Ronin of the Rebellion - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old 07-31-2020, 04:58 PM
AKA HotSatsuma, HotSuma

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4449
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
Is Geass OP? Oh yeah. One person with Geass can turn the tide on their own in a major battle. This is kicking it up a notch. There'll need to be a little mechanical rationalisation of how Geass and their limitations work in a game setting, so by nature there'll likely be slightly more limitation on Geass as used in this game as compared to the show. But they'll still be very powerful tools for use.

So seeing as we're discussing EmmaRae's Geass, while enhanced vision isn't a bad idea for a Geass, as currently written it's definitely not on the same power scale just yet. UDL's mentioned to remove those limitations. You could probably even consider taking the perception a little further - as a possibility off the top of my head, having an additional layer like a consistent 'Detect Life' so that you're always seeing the red smudges of living things through walls and surfaces to a certain radius would be a good fit for a Geass.

I should make clear, I'm not expecting everyone to get their Geass right the first time. It's a tricky thing to put down and smooth out. I'm expecting that most Geass will need at least a little refinement and balancing upon acceptance, so for now I'm mostly interested in the inherent ideas.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:08 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 166
PSinha PSinha
It's not too likely that everyone's Geass options will even come into play, right? The number of Geass holders in the anime is quite low.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:23 PM
AKA HotSatsuma, HotSuma

Tools
User Statistics
HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama HotsuSama
You're correct in that this many Geass users at once is unusual. But it's more a slight bend of the lore rather than breaking it. In short, there is definitely the capability for it.

It's my intention that everyone gets at least an opportunity to put their Geass to good use once they get it. Not every mission or scene, but at least a good moment to show it off.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:25 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PSinha PSinha
Thanks for this game, HotsuSama. I'm almost done with my application! It's on page 2.
Old 07-31-2020, 05:49 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 131
Preacherwolf Preacherwolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderDarkLord View Post
At first glance this Geass looks too weak, and possibly impossible under the canon rules (I won't spoil it, but suffice to say that a Geass by nature affects other people). Yeah it's something that conceivably is useful in combat, which is good, but the flash weakness combined with having no effect on other people seems like excessive weaknesses.
I chose invisibility for myself, just going off this should I choose something else the explicitly effects someone else? I haven't actually seen any of Code Geass so I wasn't aware that Geass' had actual rules and had assumed they were more akin to magic/super powers but with a different source or name
Old 07-31-2020, 06:06 PM
AKA HotSatsuma, HotSuma

Tools
User Statistics
You'd probably consider it less an ironclad rule and more the power of precedent in established Geass. I'd say there's argument that not every Geass is strictly designed to directly affect other people - depending on how you interpret effects like precognition - but as they are mental abilities, it's a good guiding star.

(And I also want that wriggle room in place to expand the possibilities of Geass for our use. I like the road EmmaRae's taking with a perception-based Geass. That doesn't directly fit the 'affects other people' concept but to me at least, it feels like a good fit nonetheless.)

I don't think your Geass is totally off, just that it needs some re-tooling. My proposal would have been that instead of making yourself physically invisible, you can mask yourself from the perception of others. So people can't see or hear you even though you're right there in front of them. However, cameras and other recording equipment would still work as normal - Geass can't fool CCTV.

(I should add for the sake of completion that a just-be-invisible Geass does exist in side novels. I'm not totally sure if it's considered canon or not, but it's a viable option. So don't feel compelled to take my recommendation - I just think it's a more flavoursome take.)

Last edited by HotsuSama; 07-31-2020 at 09:21 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 07:17 PM
Dragoonies never say die!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3029
AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon AnotherDragoon
So many great concepts so far. I've scrapped a couple of ideas so far that didn't feel quite right, but after smoothing them together a bit and dialing in the proper amount of shonen angst I think I'm almost ready to walk the path of blood.
WIP
Name: Kenji Saito - Callsign "Okami"

Allegiance: Zero Ronin

Appearance: Short and stocky frame with his dark hair buzzed close and perpetual stubble covering a square jaw. His broad nose and forehead are often smudged with oil. You will normally find Kenji in patched up stained coveralls that look like they work just as hard as him. His muscular arms lead to rough hands covered in scars and calluses with fingernails that never seem to come clean no matter how much he scrubs. If he's not in coveralls on the clock he'll be in jeans and a T-shirt most likely with a bottle in hand.

Background: Mechanic - Living in the slums has taught him how to make do with the junk that's passed down or thrown out and he quickly learned how to fix almost anything.

Triggers: +2 Apply violence, +2 Attention to detail(spot) , +2 I can fix that, +2 I know a guy(get a hold of something)

Geass Power: The Power of Sight Unseen - Illusion: (details to be determined but I picture it like 8 from Stranger Things season 2) can project an illusion that the target perceives as real such as a spider crawling on them, a fire, or even say a Britannian military uniform...

Last edited by AnotherDragoon; 07-31-2020 at 11:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2020, 10:08 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 743
UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord UnderDarkLord
Quote:
Originally Posted by HotsuSama View Post

(I should add for the sake of completion that a just-be-invisible Geass does exist in side novels. I'm not totally sure if it's considered canon or not, but it's a viable option. So don't feel compelled to take my recommendation - I just think it's a more flavoursome take.)
It's not canon, but that hardly matters when what we're aiming for is COOL, although invisibility-to-others, like you described, is WAY more thematic.

@Preacherwolf

Quote:

I chose invisibility for myself, just going off this should I choose something else the explicitly effects someone else? I haven't actually seen any of Code Geass so I wasn't aware that Geass' had actual rules and had assumed they were more akin to magic/super powers but with a different source or name
Yeah, the main 'rule' to Geass is that they're mental-based powers. They are typically very strict in their use (have internal rules). And commonly there's a thread of their user's personality/desires that reflects why they got that particular power.

While by default they are mental powers which affect the minds of yourself and others instead of magic that affects the physical world — there are non-canon Geass that DO work more like you're thinking, so Hotsu can decide how closely 'mental affect only' is followed.
Old 08-02-2020, 07:17 AM

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 0
techRomancer
I don't know anything about this anime, but I have been scouring forums for PbP Lancer games itching to play it. Live games don't work for me and the consensus on PilotNET (the Lancer Discord) seems to be the game is not well suited to PbP so I haven't been able to rustle one up. Still, I played 4e D&D PbP just fine back in the day and it's no more complex than that. I am always up for some Rebellion regardless!

Pilot ProfileName: Charisma Knoxley
Callsign: Trouble

Allegiance: Zero Ronin

Appearance: Charisma is of obviously mixed descent, with tanned olive skin and a short, curvy figure. Though naturally on the heavier side, regular exercise gives her an athletic build. Silver-blonde hair stands in stark contrast to her dusky complexion, hanging in loose curls to her shoulders. She carries herself with a quiet confidence and, while not conventionally attractive, force of personality tends to make up for it. Risma typically prefers clothes that are simple, comfortable, and easy to move around in. She detests and avoids the expensive finery and jewelry many women of her former social standing wouldn't be caught dead without.

Unexpectedly willful, Charisma is a woman who has firmly committed herself to a life in service to those in need. Leaving behind her family and position has done nothing to dim her fire, or her belief in the power and importance of a group of comrades over selfish desires. She pushes her friends to be always at their best and strive to surpass their perceived limits. More so now than ever, she values loyalty and kindness in those she associates with, and has little patience for those who have no honor or cling to a false facsimile of it. The self-serving people of the world who demand respect and power they haven't earned disgust her.

Charisma is very perceptive of what people need and want, and has a natural talent for understanding them. A compassionate woman, she's able to quickly empathize with others and earn their trust, and uncannily determine if they can be trusted. She may be a stubborn optimist, but she knows firsthand exactly how rough the world can be. She's quick to sarcasm as an outlet for her resulting frustration; those who know her well appreciate her earnest bluntness and dry sense of humor. An honest and straightforward person, she's never sought accolades or recognition; Risma quietly buckles down, rolls up her sleeves, and gets the work done. She has never hesitated to get her hands dirty - whether that means being elbow-deep in someone's guts performing emergency surgery after they take a stray bullet, helping to build shelters for the homeless from the rubble of their former homes, or "strongly" expressing her displeasure with corrupt authorities. She has little patience for the kind of people who take advantage of others and knows how to take care of herself in a scrap.

Background: Civilian
As a native to Area 1, the western coast of the continent, Charisma grew up in a place of relative privilege and stability. While her family wasn't excessively wealthy or influential by most Britannian standards, she never wanted for anything and was able to get a strong education that lead to a budding career in politics. Optimistic and naive when she started out, Risma has always been a bleeding heart, throwing herself at projects for social improvement and peaceful integration of new peoples into the larger Empire. But she quickly discovered her charitable bent went strongly against the grain of typical Britannian social policies. Despite this, she was determined to stick to her principles. She found enough like-minded colleagues to help her organize humanitarian aid on the Empire's most unstable frontiers, but it was an unpopular movement and she had to fight tooth and nail to scrape together support and funding from superiors who didn't take her seriously. Perhaps if she'd been a scion of a noble family she could have framed it as a pet project that they'd indulgently smile and nod about, but Risma wasn't so lucky. Slowly but surely, her team was stripped of manpower, money, and supplies until finally Risma found herself alone on the front lines of Area 11's conflict. She struggled to do whatever she could to assist civilians caught in the crossfire, but soon enough Britannian authorities began to loudly suspect her of "colluding with rebel forces" and threatened to pull her out entirely.

Faced with a lifetime trapped behind a desk, unable to make a difference, when she'd seen what the Empire was doing to the people it ostensibly was supposed to protect - the choice was a simple one for Risma. When the rebellion broke, she went underground, faked her death, and sought out the very same people she'd been accused of supporting. They hadn't been blind to her efforts, and had in fact been keeping an eye on her; it was simple to find a place among them as they began to rebuild. At first she did much the same as she had for years, helping steer bystanders out of combat zones, misdirecting authorities away from vulnerable cells, patching up those who were caught in the line of fire, and rebuilding in the aftermath. She wore a mask to keep her identity safe, mostly to prevent retaliation against her family - she might not be close to them anymore, but she had no desire to see them hurt because of her. Piloting a Knightmare would not have been her obvious choice of role; she never imagined herself as an actual combatant. But people with the will and talent to drive a frame and not get killed in their first sortie were in short supply for the rebels. When she climbed into a heavily damaged frame after the pilot was killed and managed to get it moving, using it as mobile cover to protect a rebel squad fleeing on foot, Risma proved to have both. Somehow, despite her lack of experience and terror falling under direct fire, she found the controls intuitive and the experience... enlightening. She wouldn't say this was what she was born to do, but... it was something she could do, that others couldn't. And so she threw herself into training as a Knightmare pilot.

Triggers: Apply Fists To Faces +2, Charm +2, Patch +2, Read A Situation +2

Geass Power: Absolute Empathy. Upon making eye contact, this Geass instantaneously forces a person to fully understand and accept as truth any single concept, fact, or point of view of Charisma's choice. This must be an idea that she herself truly believes; any uncertainty on her part will be transmitted to the target as well. Repeated applications of this power in a short period of time, especially on the same target, puts a heavy strain on Risma's mind (and the target's as well, in the latter case).

With practice, it seems possible this Geass could evolve to effect more people at once, or even transfer ideas and feelings between others instead of from Charisma's own mind.

RP example:

Last edited by techRomancer; 08-02-2020 at 10:40 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 12:02 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 133
EmmaRae EmmaRae
Thanks for the help everyone! I've gone back and retooled the Geass into something more fitting of the core guidelines.
Old 08-02-2020, 03:37 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 911
Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent Arjent
I've never watched Code Geass (resubbed my Netflix to do so!) but in thinking about mech combat and the viewpoints of "who's the bad guy" hearkened me back to Starship Troopers (the book, not the film). RP tribute to him and the political discussion of war, terrorism, service and authority.

Application finished.

Last edited by Arjent; 08-02-2020 at 03:38 PM.
Old 08-02-2020, 04:36 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PSinha PSinha
To: HotsuSamaThis is coming pretty late, but how do the general public of Japan react to Britannian influence, and the renaming of Japan to Area 11? Do they still have a spirit of being Japanese, or are they cowed into letting their culture die out?
It is important for the character I am building, so if you would rather I stick to the anime canon, please mention how it is there.

Last edited by PSinha; 08-02-2020 at 04:38 PM. Reason: rewording
Old 08-02-2020, 05:37 PM
AKA HotSatsuma, HotSuma

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by PSinha View Post
To: HotsuSamaThis is coming pretty late, but how do the general public of Japan react to Britannian influence, and the renaming of Japan to Area 11? Do they still have a spirit of being Japanese, or are they cowed into letting their culture die out?
It is important for the character I am building, so if you would rather I stick to the anime canon, please mention how it is there.
As you'd expect there's a mix, but most loathe the 'Eleven' label and their status as second-class citizens in their own land, but are cowed into obedience or are making themselves come to terms with the new paradigm. Having a 'Japanese spirit' is seen as a risk, with declarations of being Japanese or living in Japan seen as rebellious and inflammatory. The Britannian nobility and many of the citizens frequently abuse their privileged status over 'Numbers', so obedience generally comes from fear and powerlessness.
Old 08-02-2020, 05:44 PM
AKA HotSatsuma, HotSuma

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by techRomancer View Post
I don't know anything about this anime, but I have been scouring forums for PbP Lancer games itching to play it. Live games don't work for me and the consensus on PilotNET (the Lancer Discord) seems to be the game is not well suited to PbP so I haven't been able to rustle one up. Still, I played 4e D&D PbP just fine back in the day and it's no more complex than that. I am always up for some Rebellion regardless!
You don't need to have seen the anime itself, only have an idea of the setting. I'm being coy about events from the show now to avoid spoilers for those who intend to watch it, but once the game gets started I'll provide further background and make sure everyone's up to speed on the main events.

Everyone's going to have their own perspective on what works and what won't in different mediums but I think Lancer will do fine in PbP with a little organisation. I've been reviewing the book and the only thing that sticks out to me as needing adaptation for PbP is the RAW initiative, which alternates one-by-one between players and opponents. Just defining all player moves in one sequence between GM posts will be much smoother, so I'm considering making that change for this game.
Old 08-02-2020, 06:18 PM
Juvenile Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
PSinha PSinha
Lancer is a tactical game, first and foremost. It does narrative gameplay quite well, but there is a reason the free version, without all the loremost of the book is about combat rules and option. This is also why the gameplay is Conversation with the game's creator would indicate that the gameplay is the priority of the game.largely divorced from the roleplay.

I would not be comfortable with changing the initiative system in the manner you are suggesting. In fact, I don't like group initiative in general. In short, it would result in and since the player side goes first in Lancer, they always gain a massive upper handhighly swingy battles and enable the Effective setups are fun, but without complications they could easily become a routine for every battleunchallenged application of powerful combinations. It reduces the tactical decisions made by players since NPC actions cannot be reacted to individually. Specific to Lancer, it will spell chaos with respect to A unit can take one reaction each turn (not each round like D&D), so if all the turns happen at once...Reactions.

A less extreme option would be the player taking their turn nominate the next player to go after the following NPC activation. That way the which is an important tactical decision, but can take up too much time at the tablediscussion of turn order would be removed, but the turn based combat would still remain.

Note: extra info in 6 tooltips

Last edited by PSinha; 08-02-2020 at 06:18 PM. Reason: Note