RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jul 21st, 2022, 08:55 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6199
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Well, I already declined one player from one of my games for wanting to be a magic item. I'd prefer humanoids who work more or less normally and don't require the whole plot and mechanics of the game to be revised. I prefer stories about people to stories about objects.

You can build strong characters but it's best to shy away from hyper-powered characters who are likely to try to win every encounter with some clever money-play.

My generally philosophy is that if a character ever comes to dominate play via some amazing mechanism, then we will either ban mechanisms, or see the appearance of a meaningful fraction of monsters with sweepingly large immunities and grossly unfair counters to it crop up (e.g. "immune to all arcane magic" or "absorb-and-reflect all fear effects", or "convert mind-control into force explosions" or insane stuff like that, etc.) So don't go too crazy with builds, so that you tempt me to escalate. :-).

Last edited by CatCanCook; Jul 21st, 2022 at 08:59 PM.
Old Jul 21st, 2022, 09:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4042
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Decided to go with Vestige Bloodline with a bloodline familiar. Wrote a little blurb about him even if he does go unseen. A Int dump should make a very interesting character, especially with his familiar feeding him answers, I suspect he will be messing up most of what he is told, and mispronouncing all the big words he tries to repeat.

The more the read through spheres the more interesting it is, might need to make some feat cuts and explore it some more, but the app will do for now. Thanks for the review/critique and the advice, both are always appreciated when exploring a new build idea.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 02:41 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6489
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Yeah, I was already starting to develop my character more beyond their current undead state, giving it a backstory and such to the point where it's just a disembodied spirit with an tendency to haunt a particular item and some mannerisms: "you must wear X item to commune with my character".

But I kinda agree with you on the power front. This character would probably be able to ignore half their ability scores, so I'd be able to abuse any point buy you give me. Beyond that there's oaths, there's a lot of them that won't interfere much with my character giving them acces to a lot of strong oath boons.

I think it might be best not to continue with my magic item idea then. It's a bit of a shame though, I had fun thinking up a history yesterday.

If I get another interesting idea I'll not hesitate to pitch it, but I'm not sure if I'll get an idea I really like. I'll bench this magic item one though, rather than scrap it all together. I'm excited about this one.

Re-taking a lot of exams, if you're waiting on a post please be aware that means I'm being productive and I lack the energy to write one. Sorry!
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 09:21 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Mrjoegangles - this is probably useless to you, but something I pulled together as fun thematically.

Bloodline Familiar - Vestige

The familiar has streaks of gray or silver hide, hair, or fur, and long facial hair that appears similar to a wispy mustache or bushy eyebrows. (*)

The familiar can speak and understand a number of bonus languages equal to its master's Charisma bonus.

Excluding the common tongue (**) of the current region, the familiar can forfeit a bonus language for 24 hours to gain ghost touch vs speakers of that language for 1 minute. (This only works when the targets actually knows the given language, not when they can speak it via telepathy or something that grants speech or comprehension independent of language.)

(*) This draws from an Ancestors Shamen spirit animal, but like many other bloodline familiars gives a narrow melee buff that only the familiar can benefit from.

(**) In game: the common tongue of Nesterak is Orcish; the common tongue of the frontier and the Northern Alliance is Sylvan; the common tongue of Sweetwater and Azerka is Azerkan; the common tongue underground is undercommon.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 09:30 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
@OneDarkness

Quote:
You have probably answered this somewhere else before but I am assuming for all intensive purposes Divine magic has all the same limitations of arcane magic correct?

So things like turn undead may not always work or would undead only be found in areas where magic works as its what makes undead undead?
Yes, divine magic has the same limitations as arcane magic.

Consensus powers are not magic, and are not so limited.

Magical beings (including undead) and magic items (including artifacts) go inert in pure anti-magic areas. Magical beings - even the patron deities, are just long-lived mortals and easily killed in anti-magic areas. A classic way you escape from a horrendous magical curse is to go live out the rest of your days in an anti-magic zone (the PCs in past years of this game found such a place filled with refugees with inert magical curses.) This is not vanilla pathfinder - magic is not ultimate, it is not what rules the cosmos but is a finite and local phenomenon.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 10:13 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4042
Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles Mrjoegangles
Extra languages in a familiar? What’s not to love. You get to be a polyglot without any of that pesky studying.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 04:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14537
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Character App
left-aligned image
Tobias Ren
Human, Male, 25, LG (Consensus)
Technician 6
Ranged Scout, Undead Hunter, Technical Skill Monkey

Description
Tobias would be a tough man to miss in the crowd, unless he is trying to avoid being noticed, being a couple inches over six feet and dressed in pale black leathers with an assortment of buckles, pockets and pouches. His bearing and stance suggest some military training for those familiar with the military, but given the lack of uniform or other distinguishing marks he is certainly no longer in the service. He keeps his hair short and his facial hair equally as short, striking blue eyes hide behind frequently worn googles, he keeps his voice low and is rarely boisterous or loud.

Personality / Motivation
Tobias may be a young man in years but some of those years were hard ones, including the deaths of his father and sister at the hands of a necromancer and his undead minions. Which not surprisingly has been formative in how he is today, he has a deep dislike of magic and an overwhelming hatred of those who are not of the living world like the undead. It drove him to join the military in his later years where he learned to focus his unresolved anger and honed his skill with the rifle which he happily put to good use on those missions that allowed him to rid the world of those undesirables. While he has a strong dislike of magic, he accepts its presence but is far less accepting of anything that strikes him as necromantic in nature and is resolved to remove any undead infestations he comes across.

This was not to say the military did not help him in other ways, they harnessed his mechanical aptitudes and taught him a love of tinkering and all things mechanical, which he makes good use of in his spare time to come up with creative solutions to problems that he comes across. Command and structure have also helped him to reign in his impulse to act so that he might realize that a slow and steady approach often has greater results than charging in. Even though he has left military service, to devote himself more to hunting the undead and those that raise them he misses the companionship of the teams he worked with and often tries to link up with others whenever possible.

Background
wip

Build Notes

Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 07:10 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
We have three potential characters
- a bloodrager gunslinger
- a technician / skill monkey ranged build, and
- a life + illusion spherecaster.

Of those I will go with Mrjoegangles and Rok
- he'll fit well vs the ranged character he will be replacing. (Godfrey)
- the build has some novelty and originality I'd like to see play out
- he answered the call for a native guide, resident to Nesterak.
- while not specifically an anti-undead build he's anti-everything, he will have no trouble with his chosen weapons against the most common undead defenses.

Go ahead and move him to here: https://www.rpgcrossing.com/forumdisplay.php?f=19771

OneDarkness -- your characters are well built, its a pleasure playing with you under various circumstances. Your competition just hit a sweet spot.

Sirviantis, You are a creative and expert player. You would certainly have made something interesting and strong -- but given good candidates on target -- i just decided not to prolong the competition and suspense.

Last edited by CatCanCook; Jul 22nd, 2022 at 07:16 PM.
Old Jul 22nd, 2022, 07:13 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14537
OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness OneDarkness
Congrats, alright good luck and have fun.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 02:30 AM
Official RPGX dinosaur!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6489
Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis Sirviantis
Good choice, I've played with Mrjoegangless before and enjoy the experience every time!

Re-taking a lot of exams, if you're waiting on a post please be aware that means I'm being productive and I lack the energy to write one. Sorry!