Old Jul 2nd, 2022, 04:46 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21535
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Light and Mirrors
left-aligned image

The Dwarves nod in agreement with Bran saying that they remember everything except actually getting leeches but that could have happened any time they went into the water.

Ria arranges everything with a perfection that she'd never have realized before the mountain came down. Somehow her mind works faster, everything is clearer, and her hands are more dexterous. The set-up she makes, even though it is temporary, could be considered a work of art.

It is suspiciously quiet as you make your way to the treasure doorway. As the entire group stands before the doors you hear a Perception Check 16 = five giant spiders hiding on the roof abovescuttling in the darkness and soft voices whisper. "Peace...we agree to the terms. Only those who choose, only those who wish to be here with us. We will promise not to take any from your nest unless they wish it and in return those who stay will trade the metals."

Old Jul 5th, 2022, 03:57 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere

Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Bran looked down at the offered paste then up at the large form of Ash before a wide smile slowly spread across the young gnome’s face. ”Thankyou that is vey kind of you Mister Farrin” Bran replied as he accepted the bowl of paste.

Plodding over to his chest Bran then pulled out an old rag and dipped it in to the paste before he carefully began to rub it on to his new staff. As Bran began to carefully stain and polish his staff Bran then spoke to the others.

”The village needs the mine so we cannot abandon it. Leaving the leeches in the mine is a dangerous risk even if we were to abandon the treasure room” Bran replied with a thoughtful look. ”We could seal the leeches in the room but sealing them in without a source of food would be the same as killing them” Bran reasoned. ”They have shown themselves to be intelligent and if the day the mountain fell I had turned me in to a leech rather than a gnome I would hope I would not have been killed for it…” Bran continued. ”I suggest we set up the mirrors just in case we need them. Then we can open the doors… I am willing to speak with the leeches… if they attack us then we eradicate them… if they are reasonable then perhaps we can come to an agreement such as relocating them…” Bran offered.

Finishing applying the stain to his staff Bran then held it aloft and mumbled a couple of arcane words. The staff then briefly glowed brightly as the stain dried much more rapidly than it usually would have.

Taking a deep breath Bran then wandered back over to his chest and picked up a small curved sword in a sheath and carefully strapped it to his belt. With staff in hand and a sword on his belt Bran then turned back to the others with a look of determination on his face.

”Lets go!” Bran then declared as he pointed to his chest and it floated back in to the air and began to follow the young gnome once again.

”Hmmm I think I need a robe and a hat…” Bran then mumbled to himself as he headed for the mineshaft. The presence of a staff and a sword on his belt had changed his appearance somewhat but Bran still wore the garb of a villager and very much had the look of a village child.

Raising his staff Bran then muttered another few words and a shimmer of energy briefly surrounded the young gnome.

Descending in to the mine Bran cautiously approached the door to the treasure room. As the voice of the leeches spoke once again Bran took a step forwards and held up his new staff. ”What assurances do we have that you will hold true to your words?” Bran replied his words enhanced by his magic. ”What is it that you take from those that you feed on? Is it merely blood or do you feed on memories or something else?” Bran questioned.

OoC- Ritually casting floating disc / unseen servant before entering mine
- Casting Mage Armour

Dice Perception:
1d20+1 (12)+1 Total = 13

Last edited by Alatere; Jul 5th, 2022 at 04:18 AM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 01:46 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6048
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Gavin

Gavin takes a few bites of the oatmeal Bran prepared, his thoughts about what to do punctuated with the soft scratching sound of the spoon scraping the bottom of the bowl. He is quite surprised when even Ash, who he had begun to think of as somewhat bloodthirsty, talked about letting the leeches live. It's not like he wanted to kill them. They seem to be intelligent creatures just trying to live. And Bran had good points as well. Sealing them up in the room with the pool was also sentencing them to death, but a much slower one. Also, maybe the leeches were changed when the mountain fell, like the rest of them fell. It wouldn't be fair for someone to kill him because of what he is now, through no fault or decision of his own.

Finding his bowl empty, Gavin rinses it clean and stacks it with the others. "My world was much simpler before the change," he says, sighing. "My biggest decision used to be which of my chores I would do first and now I have to make decisions that determine if intelligent creatures live or die. I am afraid I am woefully unprepared for such things." Gavin paces back and forth across the camp for a couple of minutes, trying to decide on what's the right thing to do. Finally, he sits on one of the camp chairs and looks up at his new friends.

"Bran is right that it's not fair to kill the leeches just for trying to survive, which means we can't just seal them up in the room either. If they agree to only ride people who agree to it, and we can determine that the people they feed on aren't harmed, then I think we should let them live. Anyone wo comes to work at the mine will need to be told all about the leeches so they can make their own decision and I think anyone who doesn't agree to be a host will have to come outside during the day. That way we can assure that they aren't being forced to be a host against their will. I think we should go ahead and set up the mirrors, just in case the leeches don't agree and we have to use them. All of this is moot if the host is harmed by the leeches, so we need to be prepared."

Once the decision is made, Gavin helps set up the mirrors. Once they are ready, they all approach the treasure room door and a strange scuttling noise can be heard. Gavin looks around but he can't make out what is making the noise. While strange noises are a concern, the leeches are talking to Bran, so deciding what to do with them has to take priority. Despite what Ash said about saving his spell, he makes sure he is standing next to the large man. If things go bad with the leeches he is going to cast Protection From Evil on him, for his onw protection as well as that of everyone else. Having Ash turn against them is too dangerous to let happen.

Last edited by Murdoch; Jul 6th, 2022 at 01:52 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 03:37 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1930
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Ash
right-aligned image

Despite Ria setting up her sun mirrors and young Bran's preparations, it seemed the group was coming around to the idea of letting the leech colony live, with some stipulations it seemed, Ash didn't approve of enforcing rules onto other living creatures like that but if the alternative was the genocide of what could very well be a new and unique species then he could accept it. the young wizard had raised a good point about the possible relocation of the creatures but as Ash joined the others in the mines he hear the softly whispered words as well. "Peace...we agree to the terms"

Casting his gaze up into the darkness of the cave, a darkness which to his eyes was barely as dark as an overcast day, Ash made out the forms of the large spiders hiding there, watching, waiting for the group to make its decision on their fate. Despite his actions over the last few days, and the evidence to contradict it when he allowed the beast out, Ash wasn't a monster with a love of slaughter and mayhem, at least his still human side wasn't and he was not looking forward to killing the colony.

Sensing a presence beside him, Ash looked to his side, eyes meeting those of Gavin, the only one in their group capable of matching his height, he seemed nervous as Ash spoke "If its blood they feed on perhaps we can supply it without anyone needing to be a host? the Hunters bring in plenty of game and fowl for the village, some of the blood from those kills is used by the butcher but the vast majority is wasted. there should be more than enough from a bled out deer to keep the pool fed for a long time don't you think?"

"Seem's a fair trade for the metals in the mine" Although he was speaking out loud to everyone, Ash kept his gaze on Gavin, noting how close he was getting, seeming to be keeping the woodsman within arms reach, Ash was confused for a moment before he remembered what the man had said about having magics to protect him from being possessed by the leeches, despite Ash's wishes it seemed the tanners boy wasn't taking any chances on him if things turned violent

Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other: Perception Check to locate Scuttling noise
Dice Roll:
1D20+3 (16)+3 Total = 19

Stat Block

Last edited by Dylan Scott; Jul 6th, 2022 at 03:38 PM.
Old Jul 6th, 2022, 10:32 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

Autumn nods as Gain spoke. "I know what you mean, I was just a Shepard girl, only had to worry about the flock of animals I was caring for on the farm. Now...now trying to be a hero." She shakes her head. "I understand about the leeches, but my concern in, can we actually trust them?." The young lady seems lost in her surroundings, obviously trying to her best in a strange situation.

Autuamn's stats

Old Jul 7th, 2022, 06:16 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3660
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria stands behind the rest of the group in the stream of sunlight that her mirror system has brought into the mine. In front of her the door is in darkness, and in her hands is a mirror which she is ready to use to flash the light into the 'treasure room' if the leeches renage on the deal that appears to be being made. She has listened to the others and one thing is niggling her. She says " When I made a pact with the Harpies to provide protection for the village and to replace the Weaver men with others when we could, I was accused of supporting slavery. Now you all intend to allow people to volunteer to be enslaved by these leeches. Are you sure that you have thought this through carefully and can justify your change of heart? I like the solution. It feels right but are we able to justify this to Dame Kreia. Will we stad accused like I have been?"
She looks Gavin directly in the eyes. " You have been amongst my worst critics. Yet you approve of this."

Stat Block

Actions & Movement

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
On vacation till 12th August. Very slow posting
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 09:31 AM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Scuttling in the darkness

"We just take a small bit of them, not their soul or essence. We are not like your king or his mages."
Slowly, from above, you see a giant spider appear in the light. Fangs larger than one of Ash's arms and gleaming with a drop of poison. Eight huge eyes stare at you as the words come from many mental voices, "Trust, we did not know this word until we met the hairy ones. It is based on the idea that sometimes one of you will say one thing and do another. We are not like this, if you do not want peace we will leave this place and if you wish peace we will follow the agreement. If you betray your words or wish conflict then there will be battle."

The huge creature, at least the size of a small hut, slowly goes back up the web. As it does so everyone can see four more just like it on the ceiling.

Last edited by Ysolde; Jul 7th, 2022 at 09:35 AM.
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 03:36 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Gavin

It seems like everyone is onboard with making a deal with the leeches when Ria brings up the harpies and how they kidnapped the Weaver men.

" When I made a pact with the Harpies to provide protection for the village and to replace the Weaver men with others when we could, I was accused of supporting slavery. Now you all intend to allow people to volunteer to be enslaved by these leeches. Are you sure that you have thought this through carefully and can justify your change of heart? I like the solution. It feels right but are we able to justify this to Dame Kreia. Will we stand accused like I have been?"
She looks Gavin directly in the eyes. " You have been amongst my worst critics. Yet you approve of this."

Gavin's eyes go wide when Ria addresses him directly, unaware that he had offended her. "Ria, I did not mean to offend you and if I spoke harshly, I apologize. You were in a bad situation without anyone to talk to and I believe you made the only decision that you could have made at the time. My criticism was never meant to be aimed at you, but at the harpies and their actions. In fact, I think we need to pay the harpies a visit as soon as we can and rescue the Weaver men."

Gavin takes a deep breath before continuing, possibly to buy himself a little more time to put his thoughts in order. "I am not altogether happy with this situation either, but there are differences. The leeches and harpies both basically kidnapped people against their will, but the leeches did so in order to live and we don't know what the harpies' motives are. When discovered, the harpies basically told you how things would be and gave you very little choice in the matter. The leeches are willing to come to terms and only ride people who volunteer after, when I think about it, we did the same thing to them as the harpies did you."

Gavin stops talking as he realizes that the group from Mistvale is somehow looking more like the villains here than the leeches. "I...I don't quite know what to think anymore."

It is then that the leeches say they only take a little bit from the people they ride and Gavin looks up, only to stare into the eyes of a spider straight out of his nightmares. He misses a little bit of what the leeches say next, distracted as he is by the spider, but he does understand that the leeches are okay with the terms Ness suggested. He watches as the spider crawls back up the wall, where it joins several more just like it. Suddenly, Gavin doesn't think the leeches controlling Ash is the biggest threat they pose.

Gavin tries to speak but finds his mouth is too dry. Keeping an eye on the spiders, he takes a drink from a water skin so he can speak. "So can you ride and feed on animals like the spiders, or can you just control them and not get sustenance from them? If you can feed on animals then peace becomes much easier since we will not have to find volunteers."
Old Jul 7th, 2022, 04:04 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Ash
right-aligned image

"We accept the terms for peace!"

Ash's voice rings out loudly through the cave drawing attention. The woodsman has stepped forward away from Gavin and the others and is beneath the spiders position, head tilted back looking up with his hand outstretched to shake on the deal..to shake hand to leg? mandible? whatever it was the spider had. he could see the others looking at him in shock, and fear from Gavin as he got closer to the huge spider who dwarfed even his impressive height.

As Ash waited he kept his eyes on the Spiders on the ceiling of the cave, but he spoke to the others

"This discussion is getting us no where, the terms have been suggested and accepted. time to seal the deal before things get any worse."

"If you hadn't noticed, the leeches are clearly no longer in the pool in the treasure room where Ria's Sun mirrors are pointing so that plan is now useless, they appear to now be in possession of at least a half dozen giants spiders, who knows how many more. We are outnumbered and outmatched"

"I'm as much up for a fight as the next man but i know my limits"

"We all have families to get back to. lets settle this treaty and get home. Dame Kreia can negotiate more specific terms later. its either that or war with the spiders it seems and we have no idea how many there are in their cluster"

Despite his stoic facade, one he is struggling very hard to keep, Ash isn't a huge fan of spiders either but he knows that as long as they do not make trouble, the leeches on the spiders will keep them in check and abide by the terms discussed so he holds his ground and keeps his hand steady and outstretched to the spider he assumes to be their clusters representative

Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move: Hold ground and wait for the Spider's Reaction
Action:
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:

Stat Block

Old Jul 7th, 2022, 09:00 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

Autumn scratches her head. "Leeches did it to survive...like a vampire takes our blood to survive." She shakes her head, then looks up at the sound and her eyes goes wide. After a couple of moments, she regains control of herself. "I think peace is a good idea after all. And yes, going back home would be a nice thing" She slowly backs away from underneath the spiders.

Autuamn's stats

Old Jul 8th, 2022, 01:10 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere

Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Bran nodded at Ash’s words with a thoughtful look on his face. If it was merely blood that the leeches needed then the large man was right that the village could certainly provide that from a combination of hunting or domestic animals, still they would need to be cautious not to inadvertently activate any blood magic. The risk of blood magic was almost as worrying as the leeches themselves…

”In all honesty I do not know if we can trust them…” Bran replied to Autumn’s concerns as he adjusted his grip on his staff. ”But I do not want to become some one who kills first and does not think or ask questions until later…” Bran added.

”You misunderstand me Miss Ria, I do not propose that we offer up anyone for them to subjugate but that we merely do not attempt to exterminate them unless they force our hand. Much like I never suggested we seek to kill the harpies only rescue our people from them” Bran explained as he met the elf’s gaze. ”If they can live on the blood of animals then they are no different than us who eat meat…” Bran reasoned.

Bran gulped as the giant spider came in to view and the young gnome once again felt his legs grow weak, however rather than flee in terror Bran took a deep breath to steady his nerves. ”We will not give you people to enslave or control but we have no wish for conflict. As Mister Gavin has asked can you survive on the blood of spiders and other animals?” Bran called back with a slight quiver in his voice though he looked up and straight in to the eyes of one of the giant spiders.

Bran then frowned and cocked his head to the side and gave the spider a curious look. ”Where were you before the mountain fell? The people of our village have worked these mines for many years and to my knowledge they have never encountered your kind. How do you know of the king and his blood mages?” Bran then questioned.

Bran then quirked an eyebrow at Ash accepting the terms before fully establishing what the terms were and off all things attempting to shake the hand of a giant spider.

”Just to be clear we will have people continue to work this mine. You agree to not attack or attempt to control them in anyway and in return they shall not attack you. We would be willing to trade livestock or blood products with you if that is a viable source of food for you. Beyond that we would need to know exactly what it is that you take from a person before we could offer you any more… Bran listed as a scroll and quill seemed to appear in the young gnome’s hands.

”Also if you intend to keep the spiders with you I must ask… what is it that they are eating?” Bran questioned with a slightly concerned look, five giant spiders had to eat quite a lot after all.

OoCI wrote the majority of this post and fell asleep so had to edit somewhat as everyone else then beat me to posting.

Last edited by Alatere; Jul 8th, 2022 at 01:11 AM.
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 08:51 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3660
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria has watched the interactions with the psiders carefully and realises that, somehow, the leeches have managed to leave the room and find psiders to act as hosts. That means that one of the villagers must have helped them but... there is a peaceful solution that seems to provide for the good fo all and that feels right. As if it is how things should be.

While she was thinking through the days events during the meditation that has replaced sleep, a number of thoughts had come to her and a feeling of ageless authority had come over her. She had been Ria Miller, but now she was a Siannodel and that name meant something more than she was currently aware of. She steps forward and speaks to the leeches. " We agree to your terms and to the pact that has been made. On my blood, which I know you can sense, I declare that there shall be peace between us providing that the terms are kept on your side, and that we shall abide by the terms we have agreed. You have the word of a Siannodel. " Her voice carries a strength you have not heard before, and sounds like that of a noble rather than a millers daughter.

She then scans the assembled vilagers and miners. When she speaks, she is back to normal, " We have allies who will keep the mine safe. We must ensure that passage between the mine and the village is limited and that we all follow the rules of the Lord of the Forest when we come here. I will continue to be the main link between the mine and the village, and if Bran, Ness and I make most of the passages we should be able to avoid issues with the forest's inhabitants. There is ony one decision to make. Do we return the mirrors to the village or leave them set up as they are? "

Stat Block

Actions & Movement

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
On vacation till 12th August. Very slow posting
Old Jul 8th, 2022, 12:21 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Gavin

"Since we have come to an agreement, and there will be no fighting, we should take the mirrors back to the village." Gavin is relieved that they were able to come to an understanding. The ethics of the situation were much more complicated that he was used to dealing with and he was happy no one had to get hurt. He is interested in hearing the answer to Bran's question about what the spiders are eating. They would need to eat a lot, he assumes, and he wonders if whatever they prey on could also be dangerous to the villagers. he also wonders if the spiders fall under the protection of the Forest Lord, but since there is no one to ask, he will get no answer today.

Old Jul 8th, 2022, 09:15 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
Wrapping Things Up
It is made clear that the leeches can indeed feed on the spiders. Bran also figures out that the leeches know of the God King from the dwarves. The spiders in turn are now directed down their own caves and across the mountain to the west. It's not clear exactly what they are fighting over there as between the leeches, spiders, and what's left of the knowledge from the dwarves it's too hard to get an accurate idea. Something with horns maybe, something big and bright violet, something humanoid for sure. They seem to have it in hand for now but they let you know that if they need help they will let the village know.

The dwarves come back in and, as a group, they each take on some of the colony which helps that diplomacy even more and one of them provides a chest from the mine. Inside there is some old arms and armor along with some rope made from spider silk.

By the time everyone is exiting the cave and headed into town you feel like you have made a good alliance for your village but one that will also need an eye on it.

Last edited by Ysolde; Jul 8th, 2022 at 09:17 PM.
Old Jul 9th, 2022, 06:28 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
After Negotiations
right-aligned image

With the alliance formed and the mines back under the control of Tomas and the Dwarves, with some of the leech colony staying behind to aid in future diplomacy it seems, Ash is happy to be heading home, even whistling a little song as he carries several of the mirrors over his shoulder. Like the rest of them, he had browsed through the chest provided by the Dwarves but there was nothing inside that caught his interest, he would stick to his trusty axe, it felt right.

The return to the village was peaceful for a change and after returning the mirrors to the Inn, the specifics could be sorted out by someone else, He quickly quenched his thirst with an Ale or two before the group gave their report to Dame Kriea, his own input very brief and terse

"Leeches now control giant Spiders, agreed to be allies, Mines back in operation. the rest can fill you in, i'm going home" at this Ash stands and walks out, he is aware of the looks he is getting from the others and Dame Kriea, especially Ardin's girl who has started to act a lot more like the Dame since mountain Fall, claiming to be a Siannodel, whatever that was, but he had been away from home for too long and didn't care

Ash's Homecoming
Walking away from the Village back to his home, Ash felt his spirits lifting, there were too many people all close together for his liking there. he had never been the most social man in the village but since the mountain fell he found himself becoming more and more isolated and content being away from Village Life, it was simpler in the woodlands, just him and his family, his pack.

His long strides soon brought him home to his cabin at the outskirts of the village, pausing under the stand of trees in the shade to take in the view with a contented smile. his family home, build by his great grandfather many years ago, and rebuild and expanded a time or two since by his father and himself. it was simple, functional, but Mirielle had made it a home. he could smell the scent of her cooking from the open window, the smell of smoke from the fireplace escaping the small stone chimney on the side wall, the wildflowers she had planted around the house, her herb garden.

And as the wind shifted to blow from his left he caught the scent of something else, something familiar to him, dirt and sweat mixed with Lily, Lavender and Pine, the combination Mirielle used to wash the clothes of a certain child who could not for the life of her stay clean and be the pretty polite girl her mother wanted. too much like her father, especially since the changes she also underwent like him, Maya was very much her fathers daughter, a feral wildling who loved nothing more than to run and play in the woods. Ash had started to teach her everything she needed to know, much to his wife's feigned displeasure but she had developed a habit of ignoring the wind when she stalked, always forgetting to approach downwind

Ash restrained a chuckle as he stood and waited for the girl to pounce, since the changes she had enjoyed the game of trying to sneak up on Ash whenever she thought she could get away with it, which wasn't as often as she thought as Ash always knew she was there, she wasn't as quiet as she thought yet and with his new animal senses he always knew but he never let on.

At the last second, Ash turned to the side to meet the pouncing girl head on, catching her as she leaps from the trees with an adorable snarl like a kitten, his face a mask of shock and surprise as he caught her and fell onto his back to play wrestle with the wild animal attacking him "Oh no! a savage bear cub..what am i to do..ahhh don't eat me little bear cub..ahhh!"

After several minutes of play which ended in giggles and bellows of laughter, Mirielle's voice called out across the clearing from the open door of the cabin "ASH FARRIN! stop that rolling around, she's just had a bath!" Maya and Ash just gave each other a look and laughed more as they stood, Ash picking the girl up in his arms as they turned back to Mirielle, doing a bad job of hiding her own laughter at their antics.

Their expressions sombre for a moment as Ash and Maya stopped by the huge hollowed long resting on the stand beside the cabin, the funeral log ready and waiting for the next hunters moon to be lit, inside the bodies of Cinder and Ember, the families wolfhounds. Like Ash they were gentle giants, big shaggy beasts loyal to the family, Maya's protectors since she was even tinier than she was now. When the mountain fell they had died protecting his family, dragging Mirielle and Maya from the Cabin while they slept, getting them outside before they could be hurt and before Ash could stop the flames from devouring their home, but the damage to the two was already done, the smoke claiming their lives.

Maya was heartbroken, they all were and she couldn't stop crying for days, begging her father to bring them back. it broke his heart he could not give his child her wish, he had gained many new gifts since the change but bringing back the dead was not one of them. all he could do was give them a proper burial as part of his family, the Nar tradition of the Fire.

After paying his respects at the log, Ash turned to his wife, watching him from the doorway smiling, glowing. he gave her a kiss and a big hug, wrapping his arms around her tightly, resting a big hand on her stomach with pride, feeling two heartbeats beneath his fingertips. "Strong, definitely going to be a boy" he teased, they had no way of knowing yet.

Mirielle just rolled her eyes and after taking a sniff, pushed him away with a laugh "you already have a boy there, mud and all. this one is going to be a girl and a proper lady unlike you filthy creatures, go wash up before dinner, you reek of i dread to think what"

As stubborn as he was, Ash knew who was in charge and gave her an over exaggerated formal bow before heading off to the stream to clean up, returning cleaner than he had been in days and pulling on a fresh shirt, holding out his arms "does this meet with her ladyships approval?" he grinned before joining his family inside for a proper home cooked meal with his family, laughing and telling tales of his adventure in the marsh and mines (with the part about the dog/hellhound missing for Maya's sake), the evening passing quickly until it was time to tuck his daughter into her bed and finally sleep in a real bed of his own for a change, holding his wife and unborn son in his arms tightly, drifting off to sleep more content and blessed than any man deserved to be

Ash's Reality
Returning to the clearing of his former home, Ash stands motionless as he looks over the scene, the ruins of his cabin all that remain, a charred collapsed collection of wood and timber, the makeshift awning he had put up against the last standing wall still in place, his bedroll beside it. the flowers and herb garden a burned trampled mass of dying vegetation. but to anyone watching the woodsman, they see him smiling as he looks over the ruined remains of his life before he turns to his side suddenly then falls to the ground on his back, seemingly wrestling with some imaginary foe and laughing

After several minutes, he looks towards the cabin again and once more lets out a bellow of laughter before standing and moving to the large hollowed out log taking up space beside the cabin, pausing to rest his hand on it as if paying respects to whatever lays inside it covered with wood shavings, before he moves to what was once the doorway of his cabin, lost in thought it seems.

Heading to the nearby stream Ash cleans himself up, washing his body and his clothes before heading back to the cabin, arms outstretched as if to show the charred building his new clean state before he steps under the awning and sits on the bedroll laid out there, his eyes glazed over as he gets comfortable, his face going through a range of emotions as if an entire scene of a play is being acted out in front of his eyes for only him to see.

As the sun disappears and the shadows grow longer, the half moon raising over the forest canopy, Ash lays down and goes to sleep, the smile on his face broader and happier than it has any reason to be for a man sleeping on the ground beside a burnt out husk of a cabin

Actions & Movement

Stat Block

Last edited by Dylan Scott; Jul 9th, 2022 at 01:39 PM.