Game Thread Home is where the hearth is - Page 8 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Village Survival
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #106  
Old May 5th, 2022, 12:07 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 1930
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 504
Ash
right-aligned image

"Ash-man, is that you?" those simple words cut through the beast straining inside Ash's mind, sparking a memory from his human side, from his childhood. Back when he was a lot smaller than he was now, not even past his fifth winter yet and along way from the man he would become, the other children in the village doing what all children do to those smaller and different in some perceived way. It took Ash along time to accept the name they had given him as a taunt and turned it into who he was, a lot of that had been through his fathers example, but he also gained the strength from an act of kindness by an older boy, often ridiculed himself he had turned the name into something that wasn't sharp to the ears of a small boy and gave him strength to endure. a name only one person in Mistvale ever used.

The more ration side of his brain seizing the opportunity to regain control, he felt the beast calming and retreating back inside, his vision clearing and the strength leaving his body, muscles shrinking, hair thinning back down, lightening to its own normal colour, eyes returning to their normal Dark Brown, the wounds sustained during the fight also shrinking during the transformation, the blood stopping and the cuts and punctures sealing over supernaturally fast, the only remaining reminder the fresh scar tissue marking their locations, and the coating of blood still drying om his skin and clothes. considering how serious those wounds had been during the battle, Ash felt surprisingly strong now still

"James? what happened to you?"

To Ash and his family it was always James, not Jimmy and never Ness, Ash had made the mistake of calling the man that once as a teenager, copying the other children in town in a feeble attempt to fit in and belong. His mother had heard him and scolded him for it, she had a dislike of derogatory nicknames in general, his own in particular, and had made sure to tell his father exactly what he had called the Gong Farmer.

his father was also displeased but he didn't strike the young man as he feared, his punishment was more subtle and lasting and his simple words had stuck with Ash "any man who gets his hands dirty to provide for his family is a man worthy of your respect" by his fathers logic Jiminy was worthy of more respect than a king (a sentiment Ash would grow to agree with as he became a man and saw the type of king who held the throne)

The next morning, after a long exhausting night maintaining the fires for the charcoal pits, young Ash found himself waiting with his father as the sun had barely started to rise, waiting for the Gong farmer to arrive as he always did. what he found there that morning was a hot meal of broth from the pot always boiling in the hearth. The work of a charcoal burner was long and the hours unusual so communal meals were often missed, so in the Farrin household there was always a meal on the fire waiting when someone came home. from that day forward there was always a bowl waiting for James when he arrived, a tradition Mirielle continued when she became head of the household, a second bowl added for Timothy when he started the trade.

He also found a new apprentice for the morning, a very tired and crestfallen Ash who suddenly realised why he was waiting for the gong farmer that morning with his father "put the lad to work James, make sure he does it right but don't aid him, perhaps then he will show the proper respect for a hard working citizen of Mistvale" by the time the task was finished Ash was wishing his father had taken his belt to him instead but the lesson had stuck

"I barely recognise you, i see you weren't spared the touch of whatever caused the mountain fall either" and with those words, and his new nature, Ash accepted that the Gong Farmer was now different and that was all the thought that needed sparing on it, he had other matters to attend too.

Making his way to the fallen Hellhound, Ash crouched beside it and using his large hunting knife dug out the two large upper fangs, and severed a large Claw from its right paw, he then went to the body of one of the Wolver-rats and did the same thing before standing and approaching Autumn and Bran, offering each of them two Fangs, one each from the Hell Hound and the Wolver-rat, as they accept them with a confused expression Ash runs his thumb over the blooded Hellhound claw, coating it and swiping a mark across Bran and Autumns forehead as he slips the claw into a small pouch hanging from his belt "Your first Hunt, your first kills and your first trophies. A hunter honours their prey so they doesn't forget and becomes prey themselves"

A small part of him wondered if he should have offered Ria and Gavin a trophy as well but in his mind they were warriors not hunters, the rituals wouldn't mean the same to them and they weren't the ones Ash had been teaching on the trial over. as was now his nature, his thoughts were mercurial and suddenly he was hungry again and thinking of food. Moving to the group of Wolver-rats again he knelt before the half of a torso he had ripped from the rat and lifted it to his nose, inhaling the scent as if considering whether it was safe to eat

At Gavin's comment about smashing the window Ash's attention perked up and he lifted his head to look at Bran, his free hand once more closing around the haft of his bloodied axe, as if waiting for the go ahead to take its edge to the strange window the Demoness had come from



Actions & Movement
 


Stat Block
 
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old May 6th, 2022, 08:40 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 3670
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,822
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria watches the Satyr with astonishment. Ness, the Gong Farmer! A fascinating change, and one that suited him. She could feel him appraising her, but the fact that she had fought a demon, and landed blows, and was still alive made everything seem more real, and her new senses even more alive. She smiles at him. "Indeed, I am Ria, known by Ash-man as Ardin's Girl. And I made my shield and blade, though this armour is from Bran's trunk. Mine is in the smithy and needs more work."

As she speaks of Ash, she notices that he has returned to normal. She walks over to him, and runs the flat of her blade down on of the wounds on his body. As she does, the wound heals completely, and Ash feels strength flow back into him. "Hope that helps you, Ash-man"

When Gavin suggest breaking the window, she speaks to the whole group. "I will work with Bran to decide on how to deal with the window. I seem to have an understanding of the working of magic, though I have not used it much so far." She stands and looks at the window beofre walking over to Bran. "What do you think? Break it, or build a prison around it?"

 


Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.

Last edited by DebiRedHair; May 6th, 2022 at 08:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old May 6th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 21666
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,907
The Ritual End
Bran finishes the ritual and the window shatters, glass falling to the ground and the structure rotting away. There is some sort of growl in the distance as if some great beast has been denied a meal. More worryingly Bran collapses to the ground holding his head with pain and screaming as if he has been assaulted with the worst pain in the world. Then moments later he falls unconscious.


 



Last edited by Ysolde; May 6th, 2022 at 12:15 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old May 6th, 2022, 02:36 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 6079
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,801


Gavin is relieved when Ash calms down, especially so since he seems to know Ness, so there is no chance they will come to blows. Ho looks in with distaste when Ash starts carving up the corpses. He could see Bran or someone else familiar with magic wanting to dissect them to learn about them, but that is clearly not what Ash is doing. Gavin is about to turn away when Ash marks Bran and Autumn with the blood in a sort of hunter's ritual, and he turns back to watch. The ritual is clearly important to Ash and Gavin finds that he approves. Everyone has lived around each other for years, but mostly just as acquaintances. They will have to become closer than that if they are going to defend Mistvale and help everyone survive. The ritual is a good way to start forming those bonds.

When bran finishes his ritual the window shatters, hopefully closing the portal to hell. But the result was not without a cost. Gavin rushes over to his friend when Bran clutches his head in pain and collapses. He doesn't know what's wrong, but he knows he can heal some tings. "Bran! Wake up!", he calls, shaking the mages shoulder and sprinkling water from his water skin on his face. Relief floods him when Bran pens his eyes. "Are you okay? What happened?"

When Bran is recovered, Gavin remembers he had a message from Arthur just before they started the fight with the hellhound and the rats. "I just remembered, I heard from Arthur through the message stone just before our fight with the rats." Gavin takes the stone out of his pouch and shows it to everyone. "He said they are all right and that they found a friendly goblin tribe and freed them from some sort of curse. That sounds good. We can always use more allies." Clutching the stone in his hand, Gavin concentrates to send a message back to Arthur. He speaks it out loud, so everyone can hear. "We fought some rats, a hellhound, and a blood demon. Bran destroyed a window into hell, maybe the source of the rats. Everyone's fine."
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old May 7th, 2022, 08:06 PM
WildJessi's Avatar
WildJessi WildJessi is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Posts: 2,500
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

Autumn becomes slightly startled when the window breaks. She rushes to Bran's side when he clenches his head in agony. "Bran, what's wrong?" She then tries to set him down easily when he passes out. She looks him over with Gavin, then she looks at the others. "I think he's fine, whatever he did, I think it took a lot of him."

Her eyes went wide while listening to Gavin. "Goblins? Aren't they supposed to be one of the monsters to stay away from?"








Autuamn's stats
 
__________________
Took the Oath of Sangus

Last edited by WildJessi; May 12th, 2022 at 09:22 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old May 8th, 2022, 03:48 AM
FatherDondo's Avatar
FatherDondo FatherDondo is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 2957
FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo FatherDondo
Posts: 2,966
left-aligned image
Arthur Rohan, Village Healer (2)
HP: 11/15 | AC 15 | PP: 11 | Spell Save DC: 12 | Spell Attack: +4 | Prof: +2 | Status: Normal
HD: 2/2d8 | Spell Slots: Level 1 (0/2) | At 1st level, you learn how to invest a spark of magic into mundane objects. To use this ability, you must have thieves’ tools or artisan’s tools in hand. You then touch a Tiny nonmagical object as an action and give it one of the following magical properties of your choice:

*The object sheds bright light in a 5-foot radius and dim light for an additional 5 feet.
*Whenever tapped by a creature, the object emits a recorded message that can be heard up to 10 feet away. You utter the message when you bestow this property on the object, and the recording can be no more than 6 seconds long. The object continuously emits your choice of an odor or a nonverbal sound (wind, waves, chirping, or the like). The chosen phenomenon is perceivable up to 10 feet away.
*A static visual effect appears on one of the object’s surfaces. This effect can be a picture, up to 25 words of text, lines and shapes, or a mixture of these elements, as you like. The chosen property lasts indefinitely.

As an action, you can touch the object and end the property early. You can bestow magic on multiple objects, touching one object each time you use this feature, though a single object can only bear one property at a time. The maximum number of objects you can affect with this feature at one time is equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of one object). If you try to exceed your maximum, the oldest property immediately ends, and then the new property applies.
Magical Tinkering | You produce your artificer spell effects through your tools. You must have a spellcasting focus—specifically thieves’ tools or some kind of artisan’s tool—in hand when you cast any spell with this Spellcasting feature. You must be proficient with the tool. After you gain the Infuse Item feature at 2nd level, you can also use any item bearing one of your infusions as a spellcasting focus.Tools Required | Whenever you finish a long rest, you can touch a non-magical object and imbue it with one of your artificer infusions, turning it into a magic item. An infusion works on only certain kinds of objects, as specified in the infusion’s description. If the item requires attunement, you can attune yourself to it the instant you infuse the item. If you decide to attune to the item later, you must do so using the normal process for attunement. Your infusion remains in an item indefinitely, but when you die, the infusion vanishes after a number of days have passed equal to your Intelligence modifier (minimum of 1 day). The infusion also vanishes if you give up your knowledge of the infusion for another one. You must touch each of the objects, and each of your infusions can be in only one object at a time. Moreover, no object can bear more than one of your infusions at a time. If you try to exceed your maximum number of infusions, the oldest infusion immediately ends, and then the new infusion applies.If an infusion ends on an item that contains other things, like a bag of holding, its contents harmlessly appear in and around its space.Infuse Item: 0/2 | If you move at least 30 feet straight toward a target and then hit it with a melee weapon attack on the same turn, you can immediately follow that attack with a bonus action, making one attack against the target with your hooves.Charge | Your hooves are natural melee weapons, which you can use to make unarmed strikes. If you hit with them, you deal bludgeoning damage equal to 1d4 + your Strength modifier, instead of the bludgeoning damage normal for an unarmed strike.Hooves | You count as one size larger when determining your carrying capacity and the weight you can push or drag. In addition, any climb that requires hands and feet is especially difficult for you because of your equine legs. When you make such a climb, each foot of movement costs you 4 extra feet, instead of the normal 1 extra foot.Equine Build.
Background: Arthur joined the Alchemist's Guild because it was one of the few ways that he could embrace magic, or something like it, without becoming a blood mage. Since his transformation, he found his potions became significantly more potent and versatile.Guild Artisan | Background Feature: As an established and respected member of a guild, you can rely on certain benefits that membership provides. Your fellow guild members will provide you with lodging and food if necessary, and pay for your funeral if needed. In some cities and towns, a guildhall offers a central place to meet other members of your profession, which can be a good place to meet potential patrons, allies, or hirelings.

Guilds often wield tremendous political power. If you are accused of a crime, your guild will support you if a good case can be made for your innocence or the crime is justifiable. You can also gain access to powerful political figures through the guild, if you are a member in good standing. Such connections might require the donation of money or magic items to the guild’s coffers.

You must pay dues of 5 gp per month to the guild. If you miss payments, you must make up back dues to remain in the guild’s good graces.
Guild Membership | Common, Sylvan, ElvishLanguages

Special Items: +1 weapon. Only a Good aligned character can draw it. +3, 1d4+1 and you may chose to use your attack action to instead destroy an enemy weapon unless it is Adamantine.Miller's Knife | +2 AC. Once per day, you may cast a Cure Wounds spell that you have previously cast with the same exact resultShield of the Unicorn 1/1 | +2, 1d8 piercing, 80/320. On a roll of 5 or lower take 1 point of damage due to the crank pinching your finger. On a roll of 17-20 1d8 damage doubled on a 20.Fingerpincher 23/25.

Gavin felt another message come to him through the sending stone, "Good. We had our own blood demon, killed. Larger threat? Also, Nate betrayed us. In league with bandits. Escaped. People here need help with labor."

 

 

 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old May 8th, 2022, 07:37 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,993


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
After collapsing in a rather dramatic fashion Bran slowly returned to consciousness with a long drawn out groan as Gavin gently shook him awake. ”I..I think I really annoyed someone…” Bran replied as he clutched at his head and did his best to slowly sit up. ”I.. I severed the link to the lower planes b..but someone on the other side of the portal seemed to take offence at me interfering…” Bran explained. ”I felt as though my blood was on fire and every bone in my body was body was breaking…” Bran continued as the phantom pains still took their toll on the young gnome’s body.

Reaching out somewhat blindly Bran reached out for the halberd that he had been holding before he had collapsed. Finding it on the third attempt Bran picked it up before planting the blunt end in to the ground and using it as a support to slowly climb to his feet

”It should have been obvious but it’s completely clear now… the god kings powers… the blood magic… it all comes from a pact with fiendish powers…” Bran then mumbled with a look of concern on his currently rather pale features. ”This was a literal portal to hell… it’s gone now but there are likely going to be more… we need to find them and close them all…” Bran mumbled in a slight daze.

Bran’s gaze finally seemed to focus and the small gnome glanced around at those around. ”Is everyone ok? Erinyes are known for using poison was anybody cut?” Bran asked in concern as he looked towards Ash in particularly.

Bran’s gaze then fell on the Satyr. ”You. You helped us. Are you a servant of the Forest Lord?” Bran then questioned with raised eyebrows as he took in the Satyr’s appearance.

Slowly limping over to the bodies of the Abomination rats using the Halberd as a support Bran then frowned. ”The portal is gone but we do not want this land to become anymore tainted than it already is…” he declared frowning at the rats. Reaching in to a pouch Bran then sprinkled a small amount of powder on to each of the rats. The young Mage then clicked his fingers and each of the rats burst in to flame.

”Now for the blood…” Bran muttered with a frown. Searching round with a intense look of concentration Bran sought out every spot where blood had been spilt. With a wave the blood vanished and in any spots where too much blood remained the young gnome set it ablaze to burn the blood away.

”The hellhounds body will not burn, it is a creature of flame… perhaps we could make use of it and turn it’s hide in to a cloak of fire resistance or such…” Bran suggested with a thoughtful look.

”T.. the villagers we can bring back to the village to be properly buried…” Bran then finished with a slight stutter as he glanced back towards the pile of bodies that they had found before they had engaged the rats.





OoCUsing prestidigitation to clean up

-I haven’t responded to Ash’s post as Bran must have been unconscious when Ash intended to do that (unless he waits for Bran to wake back up)
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old May 8th, 2022, 08:34 PM
PapaHuck's Avatar
PapaHuck PapaHuck is offline
Visibly Declining Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 2408
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Posts: 528
Ness
right-aligned image


One moment, Ash-Man was a colossal bear-monster, and the next he looked more-or-less human. "Ah, recognition! I much prefer that to being split like cordwood." Ness watches the ritual with the talons and blood markings with genuine interest. "Hmm. I like this. Never had any time for hunting myself, but there is a rhythm to this marking, and the rhythm is good."

The old goat-man listens to Autumn's description of his taxonomy. "I'm generally fond of animals myself. Although I could do without these king rats.[/say] He eyes the giant rodent corpses strewn about. "They struck me as nasty, but - God's above! - are those the remains of villagers eaten by these beasts! We must identify who's been lost." Ness searches the grisly remains, trying to count number, asses size, and pick out identifying characteristics or possessions. He idly comments back to Autumn, "I suppose satyr fits. I do have a habit of speaking irreverently of the upper crust."

Upon hearing that this magnificent dragon-man in front of him is the crippled tanner lad, Ness is overwhelmed with emotion, and he immediately embraces the scaly warrior. "Gavin, what a miraculous gift this is!" And he whispers in the dragonborn's ear: "and we both smell fantastic," releasing Gavin with a wink.

To be fair, Ness was hoping his expression of bedazzlement would have gotten more of a response from Ria. But he had never really tried to woo anyone before (unless you count the harpy), so what did he know? "Well, Ria, they are very elegant arms that you carry." Hmm. That sounded awkward. "I've never used a blade before, but now that there are devils about, perhaps I should carry one. . . "

Ness's deliberation on arming himself is cut short as Bran's ritual culminates - the window to hell shatters and Bran screams in pain, then passes out. Ness moves to the small wizard's aid, but he is beaten there by Gavin and Autumn. "Sweet mercy!" the bars exclaims when Bran proves himself to be alright by returning to consciousness and describing the pain he just experienced.

"That sounds awful, Bran. But you made it through. And you have friends that are ready to jump in and help you." Ness listens to the young wizard as he connects the dots between the god-king, blood magic, and the devils from hell. "Aye Bran, we'll have trouble here from these devils for sure. If we're lucky enough to survive that, then we can start worrying about who killed the god-king, why they did it, and who is going to try to step in to be the next god-king. But one problem at a time, eh?"

"Erinyes . . . that sounds right, but I'm thinking more like Erin-maybe. Like they weren't completely here and at full power, for which I think we were lucky."

Ness blinks at Bran's question regarding to whom he is a servant. "Forest Lord, you say? Lord Valeson's throne is barely cooled, and yet we have new lords already. Can't say that I'm really surprised. No, Bran, I haven't met this Forest Lord chap. Merely a humble gong farmer lending a helping hand. Which reminds me, I should check in on my apprentice Timmy out spreading manure. Unless there is more to be done here?"

"Aye! What is this hot dog beast? This fiend's visage is all the more reason to get to the bottom of this hell problem. Two scoops of plump, juicy reasons in hell-dog's raising, Bran."

 

 

__________________
Not Fade Away (IHTTOOS)
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old May 9th, 2022, 10:05 AM
DebiRedHair's Avatar
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair is offline
Elegant Elven Redhead
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 3670
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Posts: 2,822
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria watches Bran collapse with astonishment, and surprise. She watches over him, ready to heal him if needed. Once he is back to his feet she looks around as he starts to clear up." We must check this whole area. If there is a nest of those rats we must kill them all so that they do not return. We must also collect all the used arrrows, and any other metal, so that we can take it to the smithy and start to build tools and weapons for the village."

She starts to search around the area, keeping an eye on Bran and the others.

 


Stat Block
 
Actions & Movement
 
__________________
I have taken the Oath of Sangus

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old May 9th, 2022, 12:16 PM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 6079
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,801


Gavin embraces Ness in turn and can't help but laugh when he comments on how they now smell. "We have been quite lucky with the changes we have undergone. I believe I was given these gifts to help others. Right now, it seems that help will come in the form of ridding the world of foul creatures that have found their way here with the intent to cause harm. But who knows? Maybe tomorrow I will be called on to help mend a fence or harvest the crops. However I am called to serve, I will do so willingly."

Gavin feels a vibration coming from his pouch and he pulls out the message stone. His eyes look vacant for a few seconds as he received Arthur's message. "Arthur said they also fought a blood demon like we did and they killed it as well. He said Nate betrayed them and the people in the village need help with labor. He didn't say anything about anyone being injured or the village being in danger, so they must be safe for now."

Gavin is relieved when Bran wakes up, eagerly lending him a hand to regain his feet. Bran's idea on how the god king got his power is unsettling, to say the least, but it's the idea that more of these portals will keep opening up that's truly troubling. "I fear you are right, my friend. I wonder if the blood demon the others fought came from some sort of portal like the window. If there are more of them, who knows what kind of evil will be unleashed on our home?"

"Ah, Ness. Lord Valeson hasn't been replaced yet. We met a mystical being called the Lord of the Forest. He appeared as a magnificent stag and he gave us some simple rules to follow in order to live in harmony with the forest. He also turned several bandits who had killed some forest ladies to dust with a mere look, so he has the power to enforce the rules. Hopefully, if there are more portals, and something truly foul comes through, he will lend his aid in fighting it. I'm not sure appealing to him for help would work, but if something is threatening the forest, I believe he will help."

When Ria mentions searching the area, Gavin agrees. "She is right. We don't know if this portal was what created the rats, or if they were just attracted to it. We should search the area for signs of more rats. I am not a tracker, but I believe I will be able to sense if more of the demon like creatures are close by, if I concentrate. If we find tracks to follow, I can use that ability along the way."

Gavin will help Ria search the area.

 


 

 
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old May 9th, 2022, 01:14 PM
PapaHuck's Avatar
PapaHuck PapaHuck is offline
Visibly Declining Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 2408
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Posts: 528
Ness
right-aligned image


"Bardic Inspiration on Ria, hopefully stacking + 1d6 on top of the advantage she is getting from Gavin helping her search. Shucks, since Bardic Inspiration is a bonus action, Ness will help Ria search too, just in case Murdoch's Perception roll invalidated the option of Gavin taking the help action on Ria.
Dice Ria's second search check roll, plus bardic inspiration:
1d20+5 (4)+5 Total = 9
1d6t 2 Running Total = 11
Ria, if there is anything to be found here, I'm sure you and Gavin can find it."


 

 

__________________
Not Fade Away (IHTTOOS)

Last edited by PapaHuck; May 9th, 2022 at 01:25 PM. Reason: Attempt a fancy dice roll
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old May 9th, 2022, 04:48 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is offline
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 1930
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 504
Ash
right-aligned image

Ash looks almost disappointed when the window shatters without him having a chance to strike it, and concerned when the young Bran cries out and dropped to the ground, barely in control of his emotions and rage after the battle he can do nothing but watch on as the others rush to the young mans aid, pacing nervously like a caged animal until his small friend wakes up, apparently none the worse for wear after the backlash from the ritual.

Resuming his crouch beside the bodies of the Wolver-rats, Ash looks on displeased when Bran sets them ablaze, a snarl forming on his lips as his meal is burnt far too much for his liking, rapidly charring and charcoaling the meat faster than normally possible probably for the best, who knows where they have been his rational brain thinks What a waste of flesh the conflicting primal voice growls

With nothing left to kill and nothing left to eat (even the beast inside him turns its nose up at the Hellhound), Ash becomes bored of the seemingly endless chatter from the group, especially James since when did he start to speak so much and with such flowery words?, and finds himself a seat against the ruined wall, dragging the carcass of the Hellhound over to use as a seat. he perks up at the mention of tracking however, the thought of a nest of more Wolver-rats sounds like something fun And more food too

Seeing the others starting to look around, Ash raises and moves to join then, starting at the charred remains of the rats, examining the ground to get a sense of their claw pattern and gait from the trodden grass where they all fought and expanding his search outwards, noting the long sweeping trail left between the tracks by their tails as they dragged behind them. trying to determine a sense of direction from their travel and reversing it to find their probably trail into the ruins



Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Searching for Signs and Tracks
Dice perception:
1D20+3 (16)+3 Total = 19
Dice Survival-Tracking:
1D20+3 (19)+3 Total = 22

Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:


Stat Block
 
Reply With Quote
  #118  
Old May 10th, 2022, 03:27 AM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,993


Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Bran nodded absently in agreement at the Satyr man’s words. ”Yes I’m pretty sure that I survived… otherwise I don’t think everything could possibly ache so much…” Bran agreed with a slight groan.

Bran then gulped at Ness’ words, while most of it was said in jest the fact was much of it they would have to worry about.

Bran then nodded in agreement. ”You are right… the portal was only slightly open and it only drew just enough power from the blood spilt to let the Erinyes through. She likely was not at her full strength she neither had her wings nor all of her weapons…” Bran agreed as a look of concern spread across the young gnome’s face once again. ’What would we have done if she had been any stronger…’ Bran then worried to himself.

Turning to Gavin Bran then frowned. ”If the others fought another devil it is likely that it came through a portal of some kind…” Bran agreed. ”If the others weren’t able to close the portal I believe I should be able to do it…” Bran added with a slight gulp as his mind fixated on the possible backlash he would receive for destroying a portal a second time… ”Are you able to ask for more details?” Bran then questioned.

Bran then nodded in agreement as the others suggested checking for more rats. ”Yes if there are more we need to deal with them to keep the rest of the village safe…” Bran agreed. ”Remember try not to draw too much blood if possible… the portal might be closed but we do not know what else is out here…” Bran then cautioned.

”Ria when we have more time do you think you could make me a proper staff?” Bran then questioned as he leant on shaft of the halberd which the young Mage had been using like a makeshift staff.

With the others searching the area Bran decided to do what he could to help with the search. While the others looked for tracks Bran decided to check for any magical signatures in the area. Muttering to himself in a strange language Bran took one hand off of the halberd and began to trace symbols in to the air.





OoC-Starting a detect magic ritual
Reply With Quote
  #119  
Old May 10th, 2022, 08:57 AM
Ysolde's Avatar
Ysolde Ysolde is offline
Pony Princess
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 21666
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Posts: 9,907
The Surrounding Area
Searching further afield the marsh ends and the scrabble of rocks below the mountains begins. There are some signs that the some of the rats were headed towards the iron mining camp. This camp used to be made up of people who had committed low level crimes and an overseer. They mined iron ore and sold it to the smith in town. Moving closer to the camp amidst the hard scrabble you find the offal pit with about ten more of the creatures all seemingly killed by mining picks.

Around the camp you note a number of rather deadly traps have been set with another one or two rats in them. Beyond that there is no trail of the rats. Getting into the camp itself to search further will require some careful steps or an ability to disarm the traps. Walking around the camp, avoiding the traps, you find tracks that suggest the miners have probably gone back into the mines.

Last edited by Ysolde; May 10th, 2022 at 08:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #120  
Old May 10th, 2022, 11:22 AM
Murdoch Murdoch is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 6079
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch
Posts: 1,801


As Gavin searches the area for tracks or any sign of other rats, he finds the arrow he fired. Retrieving it, he hands it back to Bran with a sheepish grin. "This should probably go to someone who is better with a bow than I am. I would hate to accidentally fire a magic arrow off into the woods or something and lose it."

When Bran asks him about getting more details from Arthur about their fight with the blood demon, Gavin takes the message stone out of his pouch again. "That's a good idea and I'm a bit embarrassed I didn't think of it. If they saw some sort of portal and didn't destroy it for some reason, another demon could come through." Gavin clenches the stone in his hand and concentrates on sending another message. Like last time, he also speaks aloud. "Arthur, was there some sort of portal where you fought the demon? If so, did you destroy it? If not, you need to do so."

Moving away from the swamp, evidence of more rats is discovered as they near the mining camp. Gavin is somewhat surprised to find so many of the rats have been killed by traps around the camp. "Someone working the mine is very good at making traps," he muses. "That's good news, considering we will need the mine to keep producing iron. I don't relish the thought of trying to approach the camp and avoid the traps while doing so. There are likely quite a few we won't see and I would rather not set them off. Has anyone been here before? DO you think we can just call out from here and they would hear us?"

 


 

 

Last edited by Murdoch; May 10th, 2022 at 11:35 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:42 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2022, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB