Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 5e > Village Survival
twitter facebook

Notices

Old May 10th, 2022, 01:57 PM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere

Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
When the rat trail led the group to the mines the young gnome’s eyebrows quirked upwards in surprise. ”Well this saves some time the mines was on our list of places that we needed to check on…” Bran commented as he suddenly realised why the village had lost contact with the mines.

”If we needed to I could probably clear some of the traps from a distance…” Bran then suggested with a thoughtful look.

”Let me see if I can catch anyone’s attention…” Bran then offered as he waved his hand and an identical duplicate of the young gnome appeared right infront of the group.

The doppelgänger then strode forwards in to the middle of the camp with the shaft of the halberd clutched firmly in one hand. ”Hello is anyone there? We are from the village. Do you need any help?” The illusion called out with a surprisingly strong voice as a he figment strode forwards with no fear of the traps.

OoC-minor illusion
Old May 10th, 2022, 05:17 PM
Okay-ish Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2408
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Ness
right-aligned image

He’s clearly no tracker, but Ness throws himself into helping his comrades find signs of king rats. Something about his goatish nature compels him to sniff the ground and taste the local foliage quite a bit as part of the process. At the mention of a magic arrow, Ness’s head pops up, a half-chewn clover protruding from the left side of his mouth.

"Eh, what’s that? A magic arrow did you say? Let me have a look at that." Ness sniffs the arrow, then gives it a quick lick. He makes a look of disgust and spits on the ground. "Hmm. What is your magic, little arrow, little arrow?" Ness sings to the missile. Then he strikes the tip against his hoof and listens to it ring 10 minutes, according to PHBeventually Ness looks up with a bright look. "Hey, I know exactly Ness has ritually cast Identify on this arrow. Ness can Identify the exact magical properties of other arrows or any other magical item as well. Happy to handle this OOCwhat this thing does."

Ness is impressed as the party finds beast after dead beast. "Clearly, this is a bad place to be a king rat." Inferring the grisly death one such beast must have experienced in one of the miner’s traps, Ness comments: "Yeesh. I’d hate to get caught in one of these! Hmm. . . . Give me a hand, rock!"

Ness starts humming a jaunty nonsense tune and moving one hand as though he’s directing a choir. A ghostly hand materializes and picks up a large stone. Getting more into the rhythm of it, Ness starts to groove and boogie as he directs the heavy stone to hop and pound along the ground at a steady rhythm. It strikes the ground about once a second, and Ness directs the stone to pound on the ground in a pattern in front of him, six strikes in a row, one every two feet to the left, and then the stone hops forward two feet and travels the other direction, pounding the ground every two feet to the right six times before advancing forward. About twenty feet behind, Ness boogies and slowly advances towards the mine, at a 2 feet per six-second round, by my calculationslow but safe pace.

Every now and then, Ness sings out quite loudly. The miner’s may be well-sheltered, but perhaps some will hear.

"Do-die-da-dingo, dickey-dickey-doo!
Do-die-da-dingo, dickey-dickey-doo!"

Last edited by PapaHuck; May 10th, 2022 at 05:19 PM. Reason: I mis-typed the nonsense lyrics. Seriously.
Old May 13th, 2022, 09:17 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3660
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria is no tracker so she puts the bow and arrows she had taken back in Bran's trunk and then follows the others as they head towards the mine. When they find the traps, she admires their construction and takes some mental notes. " We could make some man-sized versions of these to put at critical defensive points around the new stockade. That would surprise anyone trying to sneak into our village!" She then watches as the others clear the traps. When they get close she calls out "Tomas, are you there? It is Ria from the smithy with a group of villagers you may not have met."

She has been a regular visitor to the mine as the smithy gets much of its metal from the mine.

Stat Block

Actions & Movement

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
On vacation till 12th August. Very slow posting

Last edited by DebiRedHair; May 13th, 2022 at 10:38 AM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 10:00 AM
Okay-ish Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck PapaHuck
Ness
right-aligned image

It suddenly occurs to Ness that there might be some kind of traps that his bouncing bolder might not trigger. [Say]Say now, I wonder if any could Ness would prefer to use the help action to give someone else advantage on their perception check. But if he's scanning alone, he'll make his own Perception check. help me keep an eye out for traps. Not quite sure what I'm looking for. . .

Old May 13th, 2022, 03:09 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21535
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Mining Camp
The illusion walks through a few traps and around the camp. Most of the tents have seen far better days, the cook fire has a makeshift shelf made of rocks around it, someone has made a smallish house out of rocks. Bran's illusion walks right through what is assuredly one of the traps without setting it off some sort of boulder and strong branches contraption.

As Ria calls out Thomas' name she remembers that the miners usually spend a good portion of the day in the mines. There aren't many of them and likely they aren't here right now. Likely they will be back at camp come lunch time and then in again until dinner. It's hard work and Tomas keeps his crew well managed.

Ness is easily able to point out eight traps, one of which everyone noticed when Bran's illusion walked right through it. It would not be easy to walk past the traps into camp but it isn't too likely you'll need to. All of the traps seem to be the same sort. Trip the rope and a large boulder attached to branches will slam down on you.

Last edited by Ysolde; May 13th, 2022 at 03:11 PM.
Old May 13th, 2022, 11:50 PM
Okay-ish Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ness
right-aligned image

"Eureka! I think the problem here is related somehow to all these boulders perched up in the trees, as if waiting to crush us, and all these crisscrossing ropey things obstructing the way all around the camp.

Well, this should be no problem at all! With all of his hunting knowledge, I'm sure Ash-Man knows how to disarm them!

Or, if Ash-Man is not so familiar with them, I'm sure the radiant miss Ria can figure it out. She seems mechanically inclined.

And let's not forget Bran. So clever! Plus, you can set things on fire, like maybe one of those ropes, with your mind, right Bran? And let's not forget that handy choppy thing you have on that really long stick.

And Gavin, mighty Gavin! What's a falling boulder or two to a stout dragon knight?

Oh, hey, Autumn could save us. Do you think you could befriend a wild pig and have it walk through one of the traps? Or is that unethical? But then, we could cook the pig, so it would be practical.

I haven't tested exactly how far I can jump yet, but with these new goat legs, I'm pretty sure I could just jump over this whole tangle of rope."

Ness
Dice optimistically rolling Investigation with advantage to figure how to disarm traps, assuming this is a Pooling of intellects:
2d20+1kh1 (14, 16 (keeping 16) )+1 Total = 17
investigates the possibilities.

"Hmm, I think there are probably several ways we could reasonable disarm or discharge these traps. Ness is holding the Help action, and will use it if anyone tries to trigger or disarm a trap by any means whatsoever, be it magical or mundane. Feel free to God mode Ness for one round to describe how he helps your character, if you wish. Or just take the advantage and skip the narrative. Just to show how committed Ness is to helping, I'll go ahead and roll a Dex saving throw now, in case we drop a giant Boulder on our heads. Also fine if nobody wants to mess with the traps. In that case Ness will just stare at them mutely for 6 seconds.
Dice Oops!:
1d20+5 (19)+5 Total = 24
I'm willing to try to help with any of them."

Last edited by PapaHuck; May 14th, 2022 at 07:39 PM. Reason: Be more helpful
Old May 15th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Elegant Elven Redhead

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3660
DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair DebiRedHair
Ria Siannodel
right-aligned image

Ria listens to the others talking about disarming the traps and realises that she could help with that task. She has been looking carefully at them and now she starts to identify the easiest way to make them safe. When she thinks she has it she says "It would be easier with the right tools to hand but I am fairly sure I can make them safe. Get ready to drag me out and bind my Wounds! "

She moves carefully to the nearest trap, locates the trigger and uses a chisel from her Smith's tools to cut the string from a safe location.

Stat Block

Actions & Movement

On phone at weekends so shorter and less frequent posts.
On vacation till 12th August. Very slow posting

Last edited by DebiRedHair; May 15th, 2022 at 02:57 PM.
Old May 15th, 2022, 02:50 PM
Okay-ish Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ness
right-aligned image

"May I As per held "Help" action in last post.assist you Lady Ria?"

Ness puts two hooves on the line Ria is cutting, pressing it in place against a handy dead juniper root to Giving advantage to Ria's roll, which I will roll here.
Dice second chances:
1d20+2 (9)+2 Total = 11
aid in the cutting, while True Ness Fans will recall the Dexterity save made in last post for just that purpose.Ness's goat-like reflexes are primed to leap away at the severing of the line.

Old May 16th, 2022, 03:32 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere

Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
”Wait!” Bran suddenly called out as Ria moved forwards to attempt to disarm the traps. ”While it is true we could probably work out a way to disable these devices as their designs do appear to be relatively straightforward it would not be without risk… accidentally trigger one trap and you will be squashed!” Bran warned.

”There are safer ways to disable these traps without risking yourself Miss Ria. I could cast a spell that will essentially levitate a knife or blade and have it cut each rope and trigger the traps while we keep our distance.” Bran began. ”Ofcourse the triggering of the trap could disrupt my spell and I would have to recast it so it could take over an hour to clear all the traps…” Bran explained.

”Alternatively I could set the traps off from here by cutting the ropes with flame…” Bran then suggested as small flames began to dance at his finger tips.

”Either option would not have us going to close and risking ourselves…” Bran then declared.

OoC-Suggestion one is casting unseen servant and having them cut the rope on each trap.

-Suggestion two is shooting each rope with a Firebolt.

Either way the taps would be remotely triggered from a safe distance.

Last edited by Alatere; May 16th, 2022 at 03:36 AM.
Old May 16th, 2022, 04:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6048
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch

Gavin was hoping there would be a tree branch that could be used to trigger the traps, but there are no trees in the area, just rocks and smaller bushes. "Whatever we do, we should also be willing to help reset the traps after we talk to the miners. We don't yet know if we have killed all of the rats in the area and we don't want to leave the miners without protection." He is still pondering the best way to trigger or get around the traps when Ria takes direct action and takes a chisel to one of the ropes.
Old May 16th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Pony Princess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21535
Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde Ysolde
Camp and Mine Path
Ness and Ria manage to disarm one of the traps and can get into the Miner's camp. A cursory search shows tents doubled up, the small home made rock home, and various older mining devices. Broken picks that need new handles, older helmets with holes. In the small rock house you find a simple cot, a dresser, a simple map of the mines and the camp with the traps notated, and a small locked chest. The other tents each have a small storage chest but they aren't locked. A cursory search shows they have a change of clothes and some small personal items.

Last edited by Ysolde; May 16th, 2022 at 09:07 PM.
Old May 17th, 2022, 12:05 AM
Okay-ish Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Ness
right-aligned image

"Well, that's odd. . . "Ness pulls at his beard and scowls as he looks over the map they found at the miner's camp. "Now lifts and tunnels, mine carts and shafts I would all expect. But pit traps? A 'locked treasure door'? A pair of giant crossbows? Clearly there is more going on down in that hole than pulling up iron ore! I wonder who in town knew about this business. . . "

Ness tosses the map to Bran. "What do you make of it, wizard?"

Ness wanders out of the stone hut into the camp, muttering to himself. "Likely dark as a nightmare down there." He picks up a few sticks near the fire that might work as torches. "Nothing around you but dirt and rock."Ness appropriates a half-decent shovel he finds in a rickety hand cart. "Fifty-foot drops around every corner." Ness finds a Hey, it's on the map!coil of rope sitting on a pile of timbers and loops it around his torso. " And I haven't eaten in over twelve hours, unless you count the clover, which I don't!" Ness's belly grumbles as he
Dice Perception check with advantage, cause Ness is looking for kitchen stuff and he's proficient in cooking utensils:
2d20+3kh1 (14, 15 (keeping 15) )+3 Total = 18
searches the barrels and crates in and near the west side of the camp, hoping to find food and cooking utensils, and maybe a handy sack.

Old May 17th, 2022, 03:36 AM
Crazy Kobold

Tools
User Statistics

Bran Gelbman
right-aligned image
Bran frowned to himself as he looked at the map. ”Well there’s two explanations that I can think of… one the traps and crossbows were added to the mine to protect against the incursion of the rats or two the miners dug in to and discovered a structure that was already there…” Bran reasoned. ”The presence of a ‘treasure’ door would certainly be unusual in a mine…” Bran added with a thoughtful look.

”I can see in the dark quite well…” Bran offered as he tapped the side of his head. ”An added benefit of my new form…” he explained. ”And I’m quite small, easily overlooked and I can keep quite quiet when I need to…” Bran began. ”I..I’m happy to go down and see what it’s like down there…” Bran offered with slight hesitation.

Seeing that Ness had picked up a shovel Bran quickly ran has hand over it and all the dents and imperfections seemed to fade away. Bran then poked around and picked up a couple of the broken mining picks and began to mutter as he ran his hands over them. The broken picks then snapped themselves back together. ”We might need these…” Bran added with a shrug.

Idly picking up one of the helmets Bran studied it for a moment turning it around in his hands before placing it on his head and tapping it once causing the holes in it to vanish.

”Oh I didn’t bring much in the way of food but I do have plenty of water…” Bran then added as he went over to his chest popped the lid open and reached inside before pulling out a full waterskin. ”I guess if we start making this a habit we really should start bringing more along with us in the way of provisions…” Bran then thought out loud.

Bran then pulled out a couple of twigs from his pouch and a piece of string and began to twirl them round each other as he waited to see what the others thought.

OoC- Casting Mending on the shovel, some picks and a mining helmet.
- Will recast unseen servant as a ritual
Old May 17th, 2022, 12:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6048
Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch Murdoch

Gavin helps search the camp with the others and peers over Ness' shoulder to look at the map. "I agree that something strange is going on here," he says, pointing to the traps and crossbows on the map. "That level of defense shouldn't be necessary for an iron mine. It makes me wonder what else is down there. And what is that control panel for? Whatever is going on here has been going on for quite a while. Ria, you have been here before. Did anything ever seem off to you? Did you ever seen anything other than iron come out of the mine?"

Bran offers to go into the mine alone and Gavin shakes his head. "I don't think that's a good idea, Bran. We don't know what's going here, and until we do, I don't think anyone should go off alone. My preference is to wait for the miners to come out for dinner and talk to them here in the camp. If they are up to no good, they would have the advantage over us in the mine. They know it better and could use that knowledge against us, and there's nothing to say all of the traps are marked on this map. If they don't come up, we can always go in looking for them. What do the rest of you think?"
Old May 17th, 2022, 08:18 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1958
WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi WildJessi
Autumn Luwddoc
right-aligned image

Autumn walks around the area. She doesn't know much about mining, but having covered pits does seem odd to her. Unless...Then there's the treasure room. She can understand storage, but this becomes slightly irregular to her. "I wonder if the pits are for wandering animals? You know, like wolves and such. I agree about not rushing in the caves, if the miners are down there, then lets just wait for them, so we won't go blind."

Autuamn's stats