Game Thread Chapter 1 - Lost - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Pathfinder: 1e > The Lawless City > Group A
twitter facebook

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #31  
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 12:41 PM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,993
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
Tarbin glanced over to Damien as the green skinned young man slid over to him. "Well thats what I was thinkin', more than happy to go barrelin in but no need to spook the hens till your in a position to catch em" Tarbin agreed with a nod of his head. "Besides I reckon all I'd be doin is standin there an lookin threatenin and I'm sure Vyeggar can do that well enough.."Tarbin added with a slight shrug of his shoulders.

"Well I was thinkin off startin in the common room..." Tarbin then informed the group. "And if theres nothing else to discuss I reckon I should get started..." Tarbin then added.





Rather than mingling in the common room Tarbin headed straight for the kitchens, a place that he felt more at home in than he did the casino itself. Quickly rummaging through the various cupboards, boxes, crates and whatever else could be found in the kitchen Tarbin began to pull out supplies and equipment. Soon enough Tarbin had gathered a bag of rice, a variety of vegetables, a couple of plucked chickens, a collection of pots and pans and a number of sharp looking knives.

Labouring away rather industriously Tarbin began chopping vegetables and carving up the bird. Soon enough both the vegetables and the chicken were frying in a pan over an open flame.

As he worked Tarbin did his best to engage in conversation with anyone that came in to the kitchen. Tarbin was no social butterfly but the large man made it clear that the batch of food he was cooking up was for all the casino workers and not just himself. He also inquired about the other casino workers (in particular Ah'butt and Kustallo), what it was like to work at the casino and if the Casino had any problems with anyone like gangs or the city watch.

After a while Tarbin added a put of rice to the boil as he combined the chicken and the vegetables and began adding a few herbs and spices.


Tarbin eventually emerged out of the kitchen with two large pots. One filled with rice and the other with the chicken and vegetables in a slightly spicy sauce (basically curry)

Tarbin then began to offer his creation around the common room as he was again attempted to engage the staff in conversation.




oocHope you will be generous and let me use Profession Farmer for cooking (as Tarbin cooked the produce from the farm) and I will likely never have the opportunity to use it for anything else.

Dice Profession - Farmer:
1d20+6 (8)+6 Total = 14


Not his forte but lets see if Tarbin can gather any info

Dice Diplomacy - Gather info:
1d20-1 (17)-1 Total = 16


And ofcourse Tarbin will keep his eyes and ears open

Dice Perception:
1d20+2 (9)+2 Total = 11
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old Jun 23rd, 2022, 08:48 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 9234
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 4,761
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image

Groups decided, Damien took stock of how much time he had until the next shift. When he'd first entered the Dead Mermaid looking to be hired, he'd been more reserved... looking to keep a low profile and a clear head in the hopes of a good first impression with the boss. Maybe it was time to get a bit more sociable...



Making his way out onto the casino floor, Damien hit the bar first, ordering himself a whiskey and water on the rocks.

"Damien... Buranta. Looks like I'll be here for a while; what do they call you?" Winking at the bartender, Damien kicked off phase one of his plan: familiarizing himself with the staff.
Rolls & ActionsDamien is going to spend the entire time between shifts playing at social butterfly, introducing himself to staff around the casino and putting as many names to as many faces as he can. He's going to look for opportunities to gossip during this, specifically listening for any indication that someone amongst the staff is at odds with the rest of them, recently ran into money troubles, or other similar red flags that would make them more likely to betray Tilly.

Diplomacy (Gather Information): 12
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 07:44 AM
Vaerdis's Avatar
Vaerdis Vaerdis is offline
Rules of Paradise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 7886
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Posts: 9,188
Kara Kurdst
right-aligned image
Vyeggar's volunteering prompts a sigh from Kara. She looks toward him with a wary eye, saying, "Come along. But don't fight the guard if they are simply not being forthcoming."

Grim speaks up about his inability to join along, but shares some glimpse about info possibly relating to the kobold. Tarbin and Damien seem to be getting along, and like Grim they make plans to pan the casino for info.

Liana swiftly moves toward the door while Kara was considering things with the rest of the group, 'Did she change that quickly?' She thought for a moment before moving after her, only to stop in her tracks after the loud sneezing from a small person. Kara began to wonder if this was truly alright, before she resumes her pace.

"On towards South Bridge. Much like the suggestions you received Liana, the Pale Lady received a bribe for the guards for this ambush to occur, she was dressed in uniform, but the armor was an ill fit. Hopefully the guard didn't get paid enough to hide a name." Kara swiftly gave another rundown of why this person was of importance.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 08:17 PM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 14th, 2022
RPXP: 3784
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,754
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dead Mermaid's Casino J9 Harvest 102 of 120 8:31pm Night, Hot

Grim, Damien and TarbinAn hour passed steadily, as Grim, Damien and Tarbin elected to stay behind. They had settled into their respective jobs and roles by now, and the hour was spent best by trying to expand out of them.

Grim had his head down, working hard, but he was always listening. Hearing out for the odd word, mostly about some of the dodgier patrons.


Tarbin, meanwhile, busied himself in the kitchen. He did not have all of the tools that he would have liked, so by his standards it is no sumptuous meal. But, regardless, many of the staff are pleased with what he makes. "A good meal's rare around here!" someone called out gleefully. He received a few appreciative slaps on the back, though there is a small corner of people who avoided him outright - worshippers of Sophi, if the religious icons around their necks were any indicator. They weren't hostile, but just wary.


Damien had just a warm invitation on the casino floor, from the patrons. Unfortunately, it was the same as his Gebeta table - a lot of swooning women, now more drunk than earlier tonight and quite a few very grabby hands. "You get used to it," the bartender sighed sympathetically. She slid his whiskey and water over, then busied herself cleaning a fresh stine. "Urin Mountainriver. My husband and I keep this bar running - we were supposed to only be here a little bit too, but then one thing became another thing. So how did Tilly rope you in?"


Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The South Bridge K7 Harvest 102 of 120 8:31pm Night, Hot

Kara, Liana & VyeggerThe sun had fallen, and it felt like the city had just come alive. Or, rather, into a very different life. One that Kara was familiar with, Vyegger was becoming familiar with, and Liana had seen in other places but not as bad as this. Where the day brought crowds of people going to and fro, with crime hidden from watchful eyes with subtle winks and sleight of hand, the night brought it out for all to see in the shadow. Drunken sailors were pursued eagerly by pickpockets like rats to cheese and the city guard did nothing to stop it. Or they helped - it depended on the guard, really.


Soon, Kara, Vyegger and Liana were at the bridge once more. A checkpoint was still standing, though not nearly as busy or as heavily guarded. A man in armour idly waving carts through, though one did stop to give him some of their parcel. Payment for not inspecting it. Said guard held it to his chestplate jealously.

Before they could approach the guard, another approached them. A young human, his eyes as blue and dark as the star-filled sky above their heads. "Kara Kurdst?" he called, despite already being upon them. He had taken her hand to shake before she had the opportunity to stop him. "Warden Mar Provinus trained me, and you saved his life. As far as I'm concerned, that makes you one of us." He withdrew his hand and began to step away, only pausing to wave them closer to the checkpoint. "So, tell me, what do you need getting through? Normally we'd take a cut, but you saved our Captain so I'll let you through for free this time."
Out Of CharacterGrim, Damien and Tarbin make an additional 15gp. As well, due to Tarbin making a communal cooking, the Dead Mermaid's Casino staff will temporarily have a better attitude towards all of you.

Last edited by Lentil Sponge; Jun 24th, 2022 at 08:23 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 05:02 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is offline
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 9425
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 2,641
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14

Kara, the human girl who’d fought the walking hairball in the ring when they’d all first arrived, decided that she would join in with the little halfling dancer, at least in terms of expressing barely suppressed chagrin at Vyeggar’s presence. "Come along. But don't fight the guard if they are simply not being forthcoming."

A slew of enraged thoughts pinged through Vyeggar’s battered brain, each with tidbits of colorful language thrown over like tinsel. He said none of these, choosing instead to merely clench his hands a little tighter. ”Wouldn’t dream of it,” he said in a voice that sounded half past dead. The half-orc did not have a conscience that he was aware of, or he might have allowed some sort of self-reflection to temper his frustration – something cliché and saccharine sweet like the parable of winning flies with honey instead of vinegar. Vyeggar didn’t give a damn about flies or honey. He knew when people thought he was stupid; clearly they must, if they thought Vyeggar would go around beating up guards for being uncooperative.

His white silk shirt was done for; even if he could have gotten all the bloodstains out, it was torn in a few places where his rescuer had decided to drag him along the ground for what must have been a good eight or ten miles, at least based on how it looked and how his skin felt. He looked around and saw one of the nameless faceless employees puffing on a nice, after-hours cigar. Vyeggar stomped up and plucked the cigar from the man’s mouth. He gave it a few deep drags until the tip glowed bright orange, then touched the tip of the cigar to his ruined shirt. The fancy garment went up in flames immediately, and Vyeggar nonchalantly stuck the cigar back into the perturbed man’s surprised mouth, causing a bit of a sputter. Clouds of dark smoke billowed from the burning garment, and the half-orc held it aloft for several moments before tossing it carelessly onto a metal trey that held the congealed scraps of some leftover buffet item – chicken pot pie, from the looks of it. ”Tell the cook it’s a bit too well-done for my liking,” he said indifferently, before stalking off to go grab his will not confirm or deny it has skulls etched into it like Stone Cold Steve Austin’s did.leather vest.




True to his word, Vyeggar was silent throughout the whole exchange on the bridge. He might have said nothing, but his eyes were…
Dice * Perception:
1d20+3 (3)+3 Total = 6
okay, they *might* have drifted once or twice to Liana’s backside. Still, he did try to mostly pay attention and look threatening to anyone who might try to mess with his two female associates. In the grim dark of night, especially with his face all jacked up from a multitude of club-strikes,
Dice * Intimidate:
1d20+8 (19)+8 Total = 27
Vyeggar looked downright terrifying. Even if he couldn’t recall the faces of any specific guards, in his mind they were all suspect.


 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...

Posting status: good to go
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 09:17 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 14th, 2022
RPXP: 6199
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 6,082
Madam Kara and I are seeking a favor
right-aligned image
When Liana Xirkul concentrates, her psionic talent causes her mind to fragment, so that one part is standing aside watching, focusing, advising: while the rest of her is going about her normal business. And for now, her business is seeking to persuade the guard to supply information.

"Gentleman, could I ask you a question?" She knew that once one person answered one question, even the simplest, it put them in the subtlest way in mind to listen and answer in the affirmative. "Kara and I have a favor to ask of you," she said with an expression both earnest and charming. "May I speak on your behalf a moment?" She asks Kara direction, and pauses for Kara to nod in assent, so that the guard understands this is a joint request, coming in part from the armswoman to whom he owes a debt of gratitude.

"Sir, Kara, and I, and others were beaten most severely just the other evening." She shows a bruise on her neck, and then starts as if about to show a bruise on her chest, then blushes and does not do anything more revealing, as if in her distress at recent injury she had almost gone too far. She subtly mirrors the guard's stance and posture. "You can see too, how my companions were so harshly treated. We are looking for a Pale Lady. She was dressed in uniform as if a guard, but she was surely not of your or Warden Mar Provinus company, was she?" She nods slightly, encouraging him to nod. Again, she works skillfully to build on the pattern of agreeableness to simple questions.

"What was her name? Can you tell Kara and I anything else about her? We would be most appreciative."

 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Jun 25th, 2022 at 09:37 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 10:24 AM
Vaerdis's Avatar
Vaerdis Vaerdis is offline
Rules of Paradise
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 7886
Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis Vaerdis
Posts: 9,188
Kara Kurdst
right-aligned image
Kara left the casino with Vyeggar and Liana with little fanfare. Even though she was slightly distracted by the dancers and fellow employees in uniform. It was certainly difficult putting such things out of mind, she endeavors not to be in such outfits herself.

Hearing her name shouted outside causes Kara's hand to immediately fall upon her axe. The man that took her left hand as swiftly as he came, however, seemed to be some kind of fan of sorts. She loosens her grasp on the wooden handle of her weapon. She glances aside as the man shakes her hand, "I was just doing what was right. We are here-" Kara began, but Liana quickly got to speaking.

"Gentleman, could I ask you a question?"

Kara hadn't much room or need to say anything, merely shrugging at Liana's request, then a nod a moment later after the halfling continued to stare her way.

After Liana's description given, Kara clarifies further, "The woman was pale like a scholar that rarely goes out into the sun and seemed a bit too thin for her armor."
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old Jun 25th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 9234
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 4,761
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image

Nodding appreciatively as he accepted his drink, Damien listened to Urin intently. It was interesting... on the surface, the Dead Mermaid was a hustling, bustling den of iniquity where people came to drown their daily woes in gambling, booze, and sex. Behind the scenes however, it was far more than that... a collection of lost souls caught in devil's bargains. While some were satisfied with the arrangement, others fruitlessly attempted to claw their way out of the pit... and some were just resigned to their fate.

"A tale much the same as others you've heard, I'm sure. I came to do a job. It got complicated. Now I'm stuck literally paying the price for it." Damien swirled the glass slightly, his gaze fixed somewhere in the middle distance. "... for now anyway. I'm sure for someone with the right head on their shoulders, the occasional opportunity presents itself. Hopefully the next one doesn't involve an incredible high-profile chest." Damien chuckled slightly bitterly, shaking his head as he fell silent for a minute.

Wanting to work for Tilly, Damien had certainly come to the right place... but if he wanted to be anything more than a glorified servant for life, he'd need to be more resourceful than ever before. Looking back up at Urin, Damien flashed a wry smile.

"Running the bar, I'm sure you see and hear plenty that others don't. Any chance you heard any chatter about aims on Tilly's chest? Might help clear my name... more importantly, the right tip could make Tilly VERY happy if presented correctly. I don't know what's got you and your beloved held up here, but with Tilly in better spirits... I mean, who knows right?" Damien leaned against the bar, cocking his head slightly.
Rolls & ActionsNot sure which specific category it would fall under regarding the DC, but Damien makes a request of Urin for aid (possibly asking her to give him secret information).

Diplomacy (Make a Request): 25
__________________
I have taken the Oath!
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 05:16 AM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 1930
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 504
Grim's Adventures in Eavesdropping
right-aligned image

Having gathered as much information as he could while working the tables, Grim decides that tonight isn't the time to make the approach and follow up and will wait for the opportunity to interact comes about more naturally. Taking the opportunity to change out of his uniform, Grim follows his nose to the kitchen to find Tarbin cooking up a storm, one very well received by the staff it seems and after being offered a bowl by the young man and tasting it he can see why

"Exquisite Master Haldar, you have a gift. many thanks"

While enjoying he meal in a quiet corner, Grim whispers a few words and taps into his magic, his eyes once again shifting from Icy Blue to Emerald Green as he follows the conversations of everyone in the common room. although here most of the whispered words seem to be either complaints about Tilly and the patrons, or compliments about Tarbin and his meal (amongst other things about the handsome young man).

Finishing his meal and returning his bowl and utensils to the kitchen, already magically cleaned with a small charm Grim heads back out onto the Casino floor, this time not wearing the uniform of the establishment and blending in more easily with the crowd. It takes him only a moment to find Damien, still the centre of attention by the bar surrounded by swooning women (and some men) in various states of inebriation.

chuckling at his friends predicament, Grim finds himself a quiet spot to watch the man as he makes conversation and gathers information, his magic allowing Grim to follow along with most of the conversations but he follows the man around the bar as he moves, lingering behind to pay particular attention to what is being said by the people Damien speaks too amongst themselves, After he has left them and moved on, trying to pick up the words they don't want to share with him, the results sadly were less than encouraging


Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Cast Speechreaders Sight to gather information - Result of check 12
Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:


Stat Block
 
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old Jun 26th, 2022, 06:00 PM
Alatere's Avatar
Alatere Alatere is offline
Crazy Kobold
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 8660
Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere Alatere
Posts: 11,993
Tarbin Haldar
right-aligned image
Tarbin’s attempts at information gathering had not exactly been fruitful in digging up any secrets but his secondary objective of getting to know some of his new colleagues and ingratiating himself with them had been somewhat more successful though a handful of Sophilites had avoided him not that that was unexpected given that he had not kept the fact that he was a follower of Otoma a secret and the two religions did not exactly see eye to eye most of the time.

”Just an old recipe my ma used to make…” Tarbin replied when he was complimented. ”I hope to be useful around here and cookin a meal or two is the least I could do…” Tarbin added.

”I couldn’t help but notice your healer here is also your carpenter…” Tarbin commented later. ”No offense intended to the man, I am sure he knows his craft but I was trained by a priest of Otoma… if ever anyone takes an injury from fighting in the ring… or else where… I’d be happy to take a look if you didn’t want to bother the good carpenter…” Tarbin offered to the staff at large.

”Do all the staff live here? I’m guessing the common room floor can get mighty crowded at night?” Tarbin then questioned. ”Is it safe to leave any gear in there or is it at risk of growing legs and walkin off?” Tarbin then questioned.




Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 07:24 AM
Lentil Sponge's Avatar
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge is offline
Cleaner of the Royal Butt
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 14th, 2022
RPXP: 3784
Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge Lentil Sponge
Posts: 1,754
Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The Dead Mermaid's Casino J9 Harvest 102 of 120 8:31pm Night, Hot

Grim, Damien and TarbinWhether it was in the kitchen or on the casino floor, Grim tried to find information, as if his very magic were fingers grasping out at straws. He didn't receive much of anything. At least, not information. But he was noticed, and a delicate set of fingers pressed themselves onto his shoulder.

"Hard at work, I see," Sandraminae purred into his ear. Walking away from her, looking very dizzy and satisfied, was a catfolk woman whose fur was all over the place. Sandraminae, however, seemed to have already sorted out her hair. She seemed like the kind of woman who could sort her hair out with just a hand and always made sure to. "You've chosen a good place to find secrets - there's things about this place even I don't know about. A couple of things I do and Tilly doesn't. By the way, I don't think I ever thanked you for trying to save me from You-Know-Who. He's harmless, but the gesture was appreciated."

Tarbin found the faces around him getting friendlier and friendlier, with only the few hold-outs keeping their distance. Though when he proposed healing, there was a laugh from the back of the crowd. "Trying to put me out of a bloody job?!" There was a parting of the seas of people, and through it walked the carpenter. He stretched his hand out to Tarbin and gave a grin that lacked several teeth but made up for it in humour. "Edward Fletcher! Good to see you're doing well! I'd happily let you take care of the people upstairs, though I don't think Tilly will be taking you down to-" Immediately, his expression changed, and he stopped dead in his tracks. Too much said. He just added a sheepish, "When she trusts you more, she'll let me finish my sentence." to deflect.

Damien told his tale to Urin, and it just made her sad. "A lot of people have had easy jobs get complicated." She didn't change her face as he leaned in and made a blatant request for information, though he could see her eyes sparkle just a little. It was an act - they were just staff sharing sad stories to the outside observer. "No one smart had designs on that chest - Tilly made sure of that. One night, this crew of ten were let in during the night, we still don't know who by, and somehow got to where she was keeping it... well, I don't know what happened to them down there, but I know what happened after." The dwarf paused, gesturing to the fighting ring. "Six were still alive, but they were broken. She got in that ring and took bets on how long it would take for her to kill them all. After that, no one even looked at the Chest for a week." She then looked to Damien with thin lips. "Then she sold it. Then you lost it."


Location Map Season Day Time Weather
The South Bridge K7 Harvest 102 of 120 8:31pm Night, Hot

Kara, Liana & VyeggerThe guard's good cheer died as Liana told him of the whole sordid affair. When she mentioned an attack, his eyes drifted to find Vyegger, and it made him recoil. Such horror on his face, not helped by his 'Come hither so I can knock your block off' expression. Shadows fell across his helmet, and his entire expression became one of worry.

"What the hell has she done now?" he hissed, more to himself than anyone else, and turned his head to make sure that his colleague wasn't looking. Sure enough, said colleague was busy bothering some merchant about nothing important. The young guard turned back to you, the first beads of sweat appearing on his brow. "That woman is no scholar. She really is a guard - the nasty shite all the kobolds are taking just messed her up something fierce. They call it Red Sunshine."

There was a lull in the conversation as he gave another paranoid look from side to side. "I won't give you her name - my captain's sweet on her and would kill me if I put her in trouble." Then there was a flicker in his eye. A sour flicker, and his whole face screwed up in anger. "Sweet enough to use that to keep her around his finger." He just stopped the rest of his rant before it could start. He then looked up to Kara, his eyes slightly pleading. "Day 104 is her next shift. If you have Red Sunshine yourselves, she'd sing like a bird... but... she needs help. You saved the Warden, you could save another guard, right?"
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 09:07 AM
CatCanCook's Avatar
CatCanCook CatCanCook is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 14th, 2022
RPXP: 6199
CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook CatCanCook
Posts: 6,082
Bait the guard, squeeze the guard
right-aligned image
The zealot had a split track mind. The mind that directed her body was sweet, earnest, and only wanted the best for everyone. And the fanatical secret mind underneath was calculating, observing, manipulating...

Her eyes widened in righteous anger and sympathy as he mentioned the drug addiction. That poor woman. No wonder she was pale. She was being poisoned. So unfair, to treat her that way. No one deserves to be hooked on toxic filth, and manipulated so cruelly.

Kara was the good cop and Vyeggar was the bad cop, and why Liana was just an inconspicuous nobody trying to help everyone around her. And now she wanted to help the poor pale lady with her drug addiction, and help the guard ... to not get pummeled into oblivion.

She looked at him with some anxiety, for his safety. She spoke very softly and confidentially. "Sir, you have been so helpful. But, uh, one little problem. Kara and I, we'd like to help the captain's sweet lady. I'm sure someone put her up to it, and if we can find who, well then she is off the hook. But", in earnest and helpless frustration, "You didn't say her name. We can't find her and help her unless you tell us her name, or maybe where she is."

"On the other hand, well this orc here," she shudders in fear and disgust. "He's mighty angry. He rips folks to shreds for insults. See the injuries done to him? That happened well, because...." She gestured around vaguely in a manner that implied that the whole situation including the guard was part of the cause. Sad, but it's just so. "He will do ten times worse to anyone who stands in the way. And, if you don't tell him about this sweet pale lady ... It makes no sense. It's not fair. But he'll act like you injured his face." She winced at how ugly that face was. She hated and feared that face. "He doesn't take well to that, I'm afraid.."

She bit her lip in worry. She wanted what's best for the guard.
 


Last edited by CatCanCook; Jul 1st, 2022 at 09:28 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 10:29 AM
Touketsu's Avatar
Touketsu Touketsu is offline
Mysterious Ice Ninja
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 9234
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Posts: 4,761
Damien Buranta
right-aligned image

Damien grimaced slightly, looking out at the fighting ring as he considered what the sight of Tilly murdering six broken people in a frenzy might look like. At least happy he wasn't getting a taste of it firsthand, the vishkanya turned back to the bartender as she completed her cautionary tale, ending it with a mild jab at his competence. Damien didn't bristle at the statement; it wasn't as though she was wrong. Mostly, Damien was curious if she'd meant it to insult him, or simply to humble and ground him a bit. Regardless of the intent, the vishkanya wasn't put off his game in the slightest.

"I object to your phrasing. "Lost" implies we merely let it slip through our fingers. No, we were outmaneuvered, beaten, and made fools of... not that that's any better." Damien chuckled quietly as he turned to gaze out at the casino floor. It was almost a shame he attracted so much attention from the lustier patrons. Less wandering eyes would certainly make it easier to look out for shifty spies.

Turning back, Damien maintained his position at the bar, downing the rest of his glass as he tapped it gently on the bar, requesting another.

"As you say, no smart person would go after that chest... but a greedy foolish one might think they could help someone ELSE take it, for a cut. Somebody let in that crew Urin. Just like somebody informed on where we would be. I'm not here trying to make enemies, but... I daresay, whoever that person or people might be, they're certainly no friend to anyone here." Damien's finger playfully danced across the rim of the empty glass before him. He kept his eyes on Urin, and an observer from afar could be forgiven for thinking he was flirting with the dwarf, though he was careful not to actually overstep; she was a married woman after all. "I, on the other hand, am an excellent friend to have. I get the sense the same could be said of you Urin. I hope it wouldn't be too forward of me to ask that the conversation we're having stays between us then, eh?"
Rolls & Actions
Damien's little speech about being friends is genuine, though he's definitely applying a bit of pressure trying to see if he can figure out what Urin might be motivated by. (determining needs, desires, or worldview per house rules):

Appraise: 21

He's also keeping an occasional eye on the casino floor looking for potential "spies" looking his way. I didn't know if this would be considered perception or sense motive, (if it's perception, just add 2 to the roll).

Sense Motive: 7
__________________
I have taken the Oath!

Last edited by Touketsu; Jul 1st, 2022 at 10:30 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old Jul 1st, 2022, 12:26 PM
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott is online now
Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 16th, 2022
RPXP: 1930
Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott Dylan Scott
Posts: 504
Grim's Promise
right-aligned image

Turning to look up at the beautiful elven woman, Grim can't help noticing the feline woman departing from her company and chuckling at her choice of words, perhaps it is the Ale but Grim can't help feeling a little cheeky tonight and raises an eyebrow to the woman as he responds in Elven "an occupational hazard for your male suitors i am sure"

His mischievous grin however soon turns genuine as she thanks him and Grim gives her a small nod in appreciation for her comment, his words still in Elven as they are talking alone although his tone is now more serious and polite "It was the very least i could do, not that you are a woman who would need any help with him, or any gentleman i am sure, but there was something about the man which compelled me to try none the less"

"I get the impression that he is tolerated but not well liked in this establishment. May i ask who he is Lady Sandraminae? in the strictest confidence of course, on the Honour of the Grimzinta Name"

Grim had a feeling that he was grasping at straws even asking but who knows, it had been a very long and eventful day and as composed and shrewd as Sandraminae was, everyone was prone to slips of the tongue when tired so he tried his luck. His magics were running thin tonight after the strain of the beating and pushing his information gathering spells to their limits throughout the day so he resorted to simply asking, sometimes that could be magic enough.



After his conversation with Sandraminae ended (hopefully on good terms), Grim made note of the time. After such an eventful day, and with half of his new friends and fellow conscripts still out exploring leads in the city he decided now might be the best time to be find himself a comfortable, and private bed for the evening. from Sandraminae's tour earlier and conversations with the other staff at the Casino he know that the private rooms upstairs were for use by a particular section of the staff for entertaining.

While Grim was not averse to the profession itself, his week in Julianople prior to his alleged internship at the university had been spent making frequenting several similar establishments, he didn't have sufficient funds of his own at present to make that an option. But perhaps if he slipped back into his uniform he could make use of the room for free, should he find a willing partner amongst the patrons of the Casino.

He might not have the tall exotic looks of his friend Damien or the limber grace and enticing prowess of Liana but he was not without his own Bluff and Diplomacy +11, Charisma Stat 22charm and charisma which in the right circumstances could exceed their own, and there was a particularly enchanting human redhead over by the stage who had caught his eye earlier in the night, perhaps she could be persuaded to join him upstairs for the night, he still had a small spark of magic left sufficient to aid his already silver tongue and as he was technically no longer working a shift he couldn't in all good conscience even charge the young lady for his time


Actions & MovementTurn Summary
Initiative:
Move:
Action: Diplomacy Check with Enhanced Diplomacy Spell - nudge nudge wink wink
Dice Roll:
1D20+13 (7)+13 Total = 20

Bonus Action:
Reaction:
Other:


Stat Block
 
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old Jul 3rd, 2022, 03:53 AM
Noquarter19's Avatar
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 is offline
It's clobberin' time
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Aug 15th, 2022
RPXP: 9425
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Posts: 2,641
Vyeggar Vugmuk
right-aligned image
Credit to @TSRodriguez14

Despite his assurances that he would not beat up guards for withholding information, Vyeggar found himself reflexively tightening his fists and then forcing his fingers apart to dispel the bevy of negative emotions he was battling. He’d posted up about ten feet from the trio, close enough to hear the conversation but far enough away that there was a semblance of privacy. They talk, you just stand and glare. That’s the dynamic. Oh, but there was so much he wanted to say, preferably while this little punk’s throat was getting squeezed from behind by Vyeggar’s forearm. He would break this pathetic guard’s fingers one by one until the name of that pale bitch came spilling from the man’s bloody lips.

Of course, all of this was just internal. Vyeggar was a picture of stoic menace, his golden eyes staring straight at the guard like two flat suns, while his deceptively keen mind worked through what the man had quietly revealed. The drug Red Sunshine had not gone unnoticed to a lowlife such as Vyeggar, who was willing to try and certainly had tried a great many different substances, both illicit and lawful. Red Sunshine was not one of them, mostly because that same keen mind was not overly suicidal. It was a death trip; Vyeggar
Dice * Kn. Local:
1d20+5 (4)+5 Total = 9
didn’t even know anyone who would push the stuff – at least, not in this city. That was fine; there was more than one way to skin a cat.

With a grunt he stood up straight from the bridge guardrail he’d been leaning against and rose to his full 6’ 2” height. His scuffed leather boots made dry clomping sounds on the wooden beams of the bridge, and in less than a dozen steps he was there, standing before the guard who had made it his business the moment he opened his mouth. With one green finger, Vyeggar pointed to his battered face.

”Take a look. Go ahead.” He let the moment drag, let the man look at each square inch of bruised and beaten flesh, every knot and every newly formed scab. ”Look all you want, I won’t bite. Much.” And he grinned,
Dice * Intimidate with +5 bonus:
1d20+13 (5)+13 Total = 18
revealing the remaining teeth in his gaping maw some filed to deadly points, others smashed into jagged bits of bone. The grin stretched his face and pulled open one of the recently closed wounds. Tiny beads of blood perked up on the half-orc’s cheek and pooled into a thin stream that coursed like a tear down his face.

Vyeggar closed his mouth after a moment. ”Listen here, friend. I’m here against the wishes of these two lovely ladies. They seem to think I’m a bit “overly aggressive” when it comes to problem solving. And between you and me, he said in a mock-conspiratorial whisper, they don’t even know the half of it. He cleared his throat and pawed idly at the stream of blood tickling and trickling down his face; his fingers streaked the blood trail into a quartet of crimson bands that appeared almost tribal. ”As you can see, the guards who attacked us did quite a number. Fortunately for these two beauties, they’re not nearly as stubborn and hard-headed as yours truly. And it’s a good thing for your sake that I don’t recall any of the faces of those who were beating me.” He made a single fist, the knuckle joints cracking and popping as the pale green digits worked against each other, before letting the hand relax again. ”This is a, uh, well I guess this is more or less a “social visit,” since our little investigation has only just begun. For those who played a part in striking us down - striking me down - the reckoning will come.” He let the words hang, and took a deep breath, trying to stop his anger. They still had things they needed from this guy. The blood continued to trickle and he swiped at it angrily, jabbing his hand quite painfully on the tip of one of his tusks.

”But, those are matters for another day. Tonight, I’m tired, I’m bloody, and I want to get drunk. Unfortunately, I’m out here, playing super sleuth, so the sooner you answer my questions, the sooner I can go get blitzed and you can go back to whatever it was you were doing. You say this pale lady trips on Red Sunshine? Perfect. And she’ll be on shift in two days? Even better. You can’t give us a name - you say your captain will “kill you”? Fine, fine, whatever. How about the name of a dealer, then, I bet you could do that? I bet you know a dozen dealers who sling Red. Point us in their general direction. Do that, and I might just remember your face as one of the good guys the next time I see you.”

And he grinned again.

 

__________________
normal image without text wrap
A watched game never updates...

Posting status: good to go
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:57 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.(© 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2022, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB