DnD5e Rick Hardcastle's Dimensional Reality Game Show Show - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Recruiting, Solos and Open Gaming > Advertisements > Games Seeking Players
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 12th, 2022, 07:56 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7264
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Rick Hardcastle's Dimensional Reality Game Show Show

Advertisement

Game Overview

Game Name
Rick Hardcastle's Dimensional Reality Game Show Show

System
Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition

Theme
A Zany, Tongue-in-Cheek, Melodramatic Adventure

Contestants in a Reality Show Compete for Prizes while Living Together in a Game Show Wizard's Pocket Dimension

Inspirations
Jersey Shore, Survivor, Big Brother, Squid Games, Deal or No Deal, Ugly Americans, Drawn Together

Game Hook

From the television genius-mastermind Rick Hardcastle, who brought you "I'd Sell My Soul For That!", "Slime or Jelly?", and "Breaking Wheel of Amusing Proportions," comes a brand-new reality and game show series sure to keep you addicted tuning in! Presenting... [Rigby, have the guys add a drum roll here in post]"DIMENSIONAL REALITY GAME SHOW SHOW" where a handful of lucky contestants will be chosen to live inside the legendary Hardcastle pocket dimension!

Do you have what it takes to survive zany, reality-warping challenges and puzzles that will test your limits? Can you tolerate your co-stars long enough not to have mental breakdown off camera? Will you be able to appease the fickle whims of our sadistic viewer audience?

If you answered yes to any of these questions, send in your video applications to Hardcastle.DRGSS@portalpilot.wiz.

Hardcastle Entertainment Inc. is not responsible for physical or mental damages, loss of life, transmorp or transmutations, brain switching, sudden popularity, sudden notoriety, the emergence of an Elderbrain, Arch Lich, Demigorgan, the Elder-Lich-Arch-Gorgan, or the IRS, during the filming, production, or broadcast of this show. Any grievances, suggestions, or fan mail should be sent to our sorting facility "Incinerator 13". Donations can be made in gold but must be in verified ingot form, donations made in cash must be unmarked, donations made by card will require full legal name, social security, and the three digit code on the back... [Mort, this goes on for another half hour. We're gonna need some more b-roll to pad it out. Got anything leftover from "Ghouls Gone Wild" ?]

About 5-miles in radius, the Hardcastle pocket dimension is an ever-changing landscape that, in its default form, resembles an urban sprawl surrounded by a sparsely populated countryside, replete with many colorful characters, as well attractions, both familiar and strange, to keep contestants occupied both on and off the air. [Rigby, be sure legal makes clear in their contract that we're always "on-air", kay?].

However, much like the eclectic nature of the show (and the fickle whims of its owner, Mr. Hardcastle) the realm can undergo drastic changes at the drop of an eccentrically tall wizard's hat. Need a lake full of acidic slime? Done. Tired of the modern era? It's now the roarin' 20's and the bar you like is now a speak easy. The countryside a little too bland for you? Fine, everything has been plunged into a giant underwater dome in the sea. Don't think too hard about it. Just have fun! Party hard, drink till you drop, dance the night away, have romantic rendezvous, or just chat-up the locals for some juicy gossip to hold over your fellow co=stars' heads! Whatever your poison, it can be found in the Hardcastle Pocket Dimension! Guaranteed, or the next tour of Incinerator 13 is on us!

Playstyle

(Rick Hardcastle. Photo courtesy of Rick Hardcastle Inc.) DO NOT DUPLICATE. OR ELSE!

Players will be cartoonishly exaggerated contestants forced to live together in a luxurious penthouse within a sociopathic Game Show Wizard's constantly changing pocket dimension. While trying to get along with what will undoubtedly be the clashing personalities of your co-stars, contestants will compete for outrageous prizes, money, fame, and sponsorships from some of Faerun's top brands. Games, puzzles, gambling, and even battles to the death are to be expected.

UNIQUE GAME MECHANICS

Contestants will also be at the mercy of the viewing audience. Each session will have an interesting mechanic or incentive dictated by the aforementioned at the start of each session. While most will not be compulsory, contestants will be rewarded with DRAMA points that, on their own, will work similarly to inspiration but, when collected in triplicate, allow you to call a CONFESSION, wherein you'll pause the scene for a melodramatic sidebar that has the power to change one aspect to your or the party's benefit, much like similar systems in other TTRPGs, except with the added requirement that you must crap talk or blow smoke for a single co-star, damaging or boosting your REP with them. Any point of REP above or below neutral will result in advantage or disadvantage to any rolls in which you intend to help or hinder a co-host.

Why do any of these mechanics matter? Because you're here to win. Win what? All of it. Everything. The money! The fame! The super-cool prizes! And... because losing means bad, bad things happen. You need to win every challenge, game, puzzle, or event, else you're made subject to the whims of Mr. Hardcastle's trademarked Being-A-Dummy (B.A.D.) punishment-hex, whose results may vary: such as, competing in the next event in nothing but your underwear, letting an obsessive fan-pole inhabit your brain for an episode, or being transmorphed into a walking-talking household appliance, and more! None of it's good, okay? Trust us.

Application Details

Number of Players: 4 — 5
Application Deadline: July 10th

Character CreationStarting Level: 2nd

Ability Score: 27 Point Buy

Race: Any. Have an idea for something atypical? Re-flavor an existing race to suit your needs. Feel free to get weird.

Class: Any. Homebrew on case-by-case basis.

Application Requirements
Your application will be judged based on its sense of humor, coherency, and formatting. If you want extra-special-bonus-good-boy points, treat the application as an in-character video audition tape.

Basics: Name, age, race, sex, etc. The quick and dirty.

Day Job: What does your character do on the regular? Before they became a contestant on the world's most-watched reality game show. How mundane or glitzy was it?

Show Appeal: Like, what do you do, maaan? What's your catch? Where's the wow-factor? What do you bring to the penthouse? To be a contestant on DRGSS, you'll need to be able to stand out amongst other colorful, equally outlandish (and likely emotionally unstable) co-stars. How does your character do it?

Appearance: Rather self-explanatory. Detail what you think necessary and leave out what isn’t. I’m fond of cool or interesting pictures that help bring a description to life, however this is by no means a requirement.

Backstory: Where and how does your character fit into society? Have they always been there?

F.A.Q.
So, what is the setting... exactly? Is it modern, fantasy, modern-fantasy?: Yes. It's fantasy with modern analogs and a healthy splash of anachronism. For example, television is a personal scrying stone in every home. Cellphones are everyday items imbued with a long-distance message spell (including text). Cars are arcane constructs that may or may not be powered by elemental fury. Etcetera, etcetera. Fantasy-modern-fantasy.

Will I need to build a mechanically strong character to enjoy this game?: Absolutely not. In fact, we'll be going for rule-of-cool over rules-as-written the majority of the time. You'll be incentivized to think creatively (because you'll have to based on the crazy thing that are bound to happen) as opposed to working within the mechanical confines of a character — TL;DR Don't make a wet noodle, but feel free to get weird or silly; creativity over pure numbers.

Last edited by Chylopan; Jun 13th, 2022 at 12:16 PM.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 08:03 PM
Pseudodragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 10414
Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous Pseudonymous
This looks amazing.
Old Jun 12th, 2022, 08:15 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pseudonymous View Post
This looks amazing.
Thanks! This has been a brainchild of mine for some time. Don't hesitate to apply!
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:27 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Love it! Will endeavor to cook something up
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:51 AM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11923
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex
What a novel app and concept! I'm afraid my lack of sense of humor won't do me any favors here, so best of luck to all and you Chylopan!

Old Jun 13th, 2022, 07:58 AM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderOblex View Post
What a novel app and concept! I'm afraid my lack of sense of humor won't do me any favors here, so best of luck to all and you Chylopan!
Don't sell yourself short! You never know.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:01 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit
Daisy the Skulldrinker
left-aligned image

Basics:

A beautiful blonde barbarian jiggles into view.

“Is it on?” she squeaks in an obnoxiously high pitched voice. A muffled voice is heard offscreen. “IDK,” the barbarian squeaks, pronouncing each letter. “It’s just what people say. Ok, ready?”

A muffled reply.

“HIIIIII-EEEEE!” she squeals with a grin, her voice causing the scrying stone recording her to reverberate violently. Her accent is that of a high class elf from the Western Coast, perhaps in the Valley of S’an F’ernando. “I’m Daaaaaaaaaaisy! Daisy Skulldrinker! I’m a hundred n one years young, I’m an elven maiden,” she says, pushing her hair back to show off her pointed ears. “And I’m ready to PAAAAAARTAAAYYY-”

The video cuts out as the screen begins to shake from the noise.

Backstory:

The video cuts to Daisy, bouncing down a mountainside in all her glory, great axe in hand. She is howling a deafening, high pitched war cry as she charges into a crowd of goblins. Her face is a mask of fury and bloodlust as she cleaves through them all in a matter of seconds. She takes a moment to take deep, heaving, voluptuous breaths, her eyes wild with fury, blood and gore splattering her body. She stops suddenly, the mask of battle seemingly gone as quickly as the wind, replaced by her default expression; confused and pretty. She turns to the camera excitedly.

“OMG!” she squeals. “Did you get that?”

The camera cuts to Daisy roaring obnoxiously amongst a tribe of half-orc barbarians, a tankard in hand. She is laughing so hard she is spilling her drink. The other barbarians do not seem to be enjoying the party as much as she is.

A voice over from Daisy overlays the shot.

“My parents always wanted me to be a wizard like my sister, but I dropped out of wizard college pretty quick to join the Spine Annihilators tribe. Wizard school was hecka boring, there was wayyyy too many rules, and I can’t really read. Everyone says wizards are supposed to be smarty pants, but the Spine Annihilators taught me to chop a wizard in half, and I think that makes me a lot smarter than them, and I don’t even wear pants. My parents were very proud when I was named Most Lethal Newcomer by my tribe!”

Cut to a picture of two elves with faces blurred, sitting in a mansion strewn with flowers and vines.
“We are deeply ashamed of our daughter and apologize for all of her actions,” says one of the elves.

Day Job:

Cut back to Daisy, her face twisted in battle fury, until she catches sight of the camera and giggles and waves.

“As a barbarian,” the voice over continues. “I can just chillax, y’know? Be myself.”

The camera cuts to Daisy in a bikini floating in a bubbling hot spring, sipping a drink out of a pink medieval silly straw. The camera pans outwards, and we see the drink is in a goblin skull, and Daisy is floating on a pair of goblin corpses.

“Mostly my job is just raiding rival tribes,” she continues as the camera shows her locked in combat with an orc. “Hunting,” video cuts to her beating a wolf with her bare hands. “Gathering fruits and nuts,” video cuts to a happy orc man gathering berries. He picks an especially large strawberry and grins happily at it. Daisy lazilly smashes his head into a tree, then reaches down and grabs his basket of strawberries, shoving a handful into her mouth. “And of course, protecting the Spine Annihilators from invading goblins,” cut to Daisy screaming her high-pitched war cry as she burns down a goblin hut, while goblin families run screaming from her. “I’m Employee of the Month two years running. Just ask my chief!”

Video cuts to a half orc barbarian. His eyes a black and red, his face tattooed with war paint. His septum is piercing with what appears to be a human finger bone. He glowers at the camera for a moment, a deep guttural growl arising in his throat, and then coughs politely.

“Oh Daisy?” he says as he grabs a coffee mug that says WIRLS BEZT CHEEF and takes a noisy sip. His voice is nasally and bureaucratic. “Yeah, Employee of the Month two years running now. Mostly because she kept decapitating the winners and using their skulls as drinking cups,” he says, chuckling.

Show Appeal:
Daisy giggles as she sips mead out a goblin skull.

“I’m like, pretty easy going,” she says. The camera cuts to her disemboweling a goblin while screaming her war cry.

“I’m not really into drama,” the voice over continues as a clip is shown of her with a giggling halforc maiden on her lap. The camera turns to show the chief of her tribe sighing sadly, a picture in his hand. The picture is of him with the orc woman on their wedding day.

“I believe in conflict resolution,” the voice over says as she headbutts an orc unconscious and screams “THAT’S what I think of a two copper piece tax increase for single mothers!”

“I have a certain class and elegance that I want to show to the world,” the voice over continues as Daisy chugs a massive tankard of ale in front of a half ogre, who is also chugging. A group of orcs surround them and cheer as Daisy finishes hers faster, then smashes the tankard on her own head and screams in the ogre’s face.

“And I guess I just wanna make my parent’s proud,” she says.

The camera cuts to her parents, their faces blurred.

“To reiterate, we are deeply ashamed of our daughter and apologize for all of her actions,” says one of the elves.

Appearance:

Daisy huffs and puffs as she does a series of jumping jacks.

“What’s this part for again?” she pants.

“Don’t worry about it,”
says a voice behind the camera.

The camera cuts to her parents. One of them sighs, and leaves in disgust.

Last edited by Hobbit; Jun 13th, 2022 at 03:31 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 11:41 AM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4557
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83

Last edited by Treble83; Jul 25th, 2022 at 12:34 PM.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:10 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
@Hobbit - Looking forward to what you come up with!

@Treble83 - Cal looks great!
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:44 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 457
Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit Hobbit
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chylopan View Post
@Hobbit - Looking forward to what you come up with!

@Treble83 - Cal looks great!
Ty! She good to go, I experimented with color for voices and decided I hate it and am never doing it again <3
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 03:47 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1650
Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete Effete
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElderOblex View Post
Just play as Roofs...
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 04:31 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
@Hobbit- Daisy looks fun, lol! Love it.
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 09:40 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2400
voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie voodoozombie
Do classes also include the UA ones?
Old Jun 13th, 2022, 09:55 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozombie View Post
Do classes also include the UA ones?
I'd prefer non-UA, if possible.
Old Jun 14th, 2022, 05:23 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3359
Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward Onward
App
right-aligned image

Basics: The camera starts showing a woman with raven black hair who looks extremely annoyed,"Is it on now, I don't have all day here. Theirs hexes to do, and curses to send by the minute." she says, a muffled voice can be heard behind the camera,"Finally, any minute longer and I might have brewed a potion to turn you to a frog. Ahem, anyways, my name is Sarah, Sarah Penderghast. I'm at least 19, until I want to look like so, and I have some elven blood within my veins. Asked about my other half and I'll gut you like a pig." the blood hunter says in a nonchalant way that it didn't even sound like a threat,"For now, let's talk about my day job." she says as the footage cuts.

Day Job: The footage then shows Sarah standing outside a hut where it's currently in a center of a mall,"This is my workshop, please come in and don't mind the mess." she says as she enters inside, the camera follows to find several oddities, and a lot of herbs and a rotting corpse with a fancy suit currently sitting on a chair with a plate of Hors d'oeuvres,"Don't mind Jeeves, his currently on his break. As you can see, I currently work in a mostly 9 to 5 schedule were I sell some potions here and there and maybe cast a few hexes and curses to those unfortunates that snicker at my hut and the cheapskates thinking they could just take advantage of me and take all of my money, huh. Do you think it's easy running a shop in a middle of a mall, selling toadstools and listening to couples bicker for hours for every fortune telling sessions, DO YOU?!!" she says, looking somewhat unhinged that the cameraman had to back away for fear of his life, however Sarah calms down and looks toward the camera as if nothing happened,"Anyways, that's just my day job, whenever I get the chance I usually spend my free time doing the things I love." she says as the camera changes feed to show a graveyard, hundreds of wails and moaning can be heard in the background. The camera glitches out with every image, though if you look closely there's a face of something there. However, the static starts fading away as Sarah appears in view chanting some unknown language, her arm is covered in nothing but blood from multiple stab wounds. She then turns toward the camera which reveals that her eyes are completely black and blood is seeping out of it. Then an image of a transparent figure appears behind her and goes to grab her. Then things suddenly black out...

The feed comes back on as the view is now on the floor, is seems the camera man passed out on the ground,"... Did you get any of that?" Sarah says somewhere in the background, though she didn't get much of a response,"I'm gonna assume yes. Anyways, where was I? Oh, of course, the thing that I love most is having a nice walk on the cemetery, there's nothing I love most then the serene and ethereal atmosphere. Though undead frequent the joint a lot, and I so despise such pests." she says as the camera cuts.

Show Appeal: The feed comes back again as they return to the shop, Sarah is currently serving tea to the probably traumatized cameraman,"Hmm, what do I bring, well obviously I bring experience. I bring leadership and well mannered manners. Hmph, I bet all you find for contestants are barbarians and random rich kids that have been a bit too stoned don't you think. I bring structure and elegance and--" she was suddenly cut off as Jeeves suddenly attacked the cameraman. The camera broke down and all that was heard was screaming and broken China,"Ah right, I keep forgetting to feed Jeeves. Don't worry though, he's a tamed undead, he'll just nibble some of your arm off and he'll be in tip-top shape. Just bare with the pain." she says as sobbing is heard, presumably from a very injured and traumatized cameraman, the sound of a zombified butler munching on something tender can be heard as well,"Oh Jeeves, you are such a card."

Appearance: Just a normal looking half-elf. Sarah stands at least 4'5" and has a somewhat petite frame. With eyes as black as night. Her skin is as pale as they come. Always bleeding, always crying. Her hair is black as a raven and her eyes as green as the leaves. I can't stop shaking, why can't I stop. She usually wears a simple black dress with the fragrance of several herbs accompanying her.
Don't Look At Her Back
Don't Look At Her Bac
Don't Look At Her B
Don't Look At Her
Don't Look

Just a normal half-elf

Backstory: Scene switches to a dark background with Sarah being the only one shown,"Oh, your new, well I hope you did well with the other guy, hahaha." she says in a calm manner, she then thinks for a moment on the question,"Hmm, so you want to know more about me, well there really isn't much to tell. Other than I come from a rich family, the Penderghast family is quite infamous... For being necromancers." she says, but then holds up her hand high as if to calm down the cameraman,"Now hold on, I know what your thinking but no, I'm no longer affiliated with my family. Hmph, and why would I, they never appreciated me to begin with. My mother's nothing but a necromantic b*tch and my dad can just go back to his own plane of existence for all I care. she said with a face of hatred, however there's a muffled voice of encouragement behind a camera. To which Sarah stabs her right wrist which creates some sort of tentacle-like ichor to pour out her vein,"Say that about my parents again, and I'll make you suffer... Anyways, it wasn't such a serious matter, we simply were at a disagreement one time and we parted ways peacefully." she says, however camera footage then cuts back to a recorded hidden footage of the Penderghast Manor.

"=|{[=|€=={={{" something unintelligible and wrong started shouting out somewhere in the manor. In fact, it's not just coming from one but two pairs speaking some strange and alien language. On the entrance, something leaves which is revealed to be the undead butler Jeeve's that looks to be carrying bags filled with luggage and a very infuriated Sarah speaking a whole stream of strange profanities, while something in the manor also returns the favor, Sarah then speaks in the common tongue,"Oh yeah, well you dad. I'll show you and Mom what I can really do." she says and storms off, not before her mother offers. Though she looks like a rather normal elven woman, instead of a necromancer,"Oh dear, before you go, I've packed you some lunch for your journey." she says as she pulls out a basket, of which Sarah immediately backtracks and grabs it,"Thank you Mommy, I promise to be nice around new friends." she says with an embarrassed face, though her mother simply gave her a hug in kind. Though theirs still that Eldritch sound in the manor that voice it's response, to which Sarah countered with another profane response which only seems to agitate the entity. Sarah then left her estate along with her undead butler.

We then cut back to the present, to which Sarah breathes out a sigh,"I should also say why I'm here. I'm mostly here to prove to my father that I could be something big, to show my mark to the world. He never showed his appreciation toward me, I just hope that maybe this game show might be the day that I could impress him." she says as she pulled out a locket to reveal a family photo of her mother and Sarah when she was a kid. She's currently being held up by something, (the image had to be censored to avoid psychotic breakdowns to the viewers as did the cameraman after a few minutes after the interview), they all look happy. Sarah then closed the locket and sighs,"Anyways, I believe that's all I could say on such matters. And know this, I will win, and those contestants that stand in my way will know the true meaning of endless suffering." she says with a cruel smile as the camera feed finally ends.

Last edited by Onward; Jun 14th, 2022 at 08:43 AM.