RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 10:58 AM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7264
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carmac View Post
I should actually have been a bit more specific both about the allowed sources and the state of the PC's when they are returned to life. I do the same thing and class PHB and DMG the same as far as sources go, so yes I will allow the Oathbreaker in this case. I'll update my allowed sources to account for both. However I should say that the PC's will not be undead when they are brought back.....its fairly complicated and I don't want to say anymore about it for fear of spoilers, but they will be alive FWIW.
That definitely answers my question. Although, it does change my character's aesthetic concept, since I was going to give him a skeletal appearance. No worries. I can work around that.

Appreciate the feedback.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:17 AM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2153
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand
I am thinking about dipping into the Ravenloft book a bit but I have some questions.

A hexblood is a mix between a Witch and a demon or some such but does it have to look like what it shows in the book?
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 11:19 AM
Evil Overlord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3643
Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hal Hammerhand View Post
A hexblood is a mix between a Witch and a demon or some such but does it have to look like what it shows in the book?
It doesn't have to look like the book, feel free to mix it up.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 12:08 PM
Lone Wolf

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7009
Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot Togot
right-aligned image

Name: Elwin Fireblood
Race: human
Class: wizard evoker
alignment: lawful neutral
Background: noble
Personality Traits:
I am a hard worker, driven by purpose
My favor, once lost, is lost forever
Ideal: Knowledge. The path to power and self-improvement is through knowledge.

Bond: one day I will return to my family and make them acknowledge my worth

Flaw: I cannot take criticism

Appearance: Like all members of the fireblood family, Elwin has red hair which he keeps short and well kept. He wears fine blue robes and is of average build. Due to his good upbringing, he appears in good health and of good breeding. He stands at five foot nine and weighs a hundred and sixty pounds. Beneath his robes, Elwin’s chest is marred with a large burn scar delivered upon him by his younger sister.

Personality: Elwin his pleasant and genial most of the time, often trying to charm his way into others’ good graces with his wit and good looks. He is an extremely driven hard worker who believes that hard work trumps natural talent and he is hell bent on proving it.

Backstory: Born the first son of the prestigious fireblood family, things were expected of Elwin. his family’s prosperity relied on their natural magical talent at controlling flames, so when it was discovered that Elwin didn’t have the gift, he was disowned and discarded, his position of heir instead being given to his younger and talented sister Elra. Elwin contested the decision and challenged his sister to a duel which she easily won, badly burning his body leaving it permanently scarred.

Filled with resentment and bitterness, but also a stubborn defiance, Elwin proved that though he could not create magical fire, his heart burned with determination and horrifying will. He vowed he would return and reclaim his birthright. In pursuit of that goal, he dedicated himself to studying magic the hard way, becoming a skilled wizard who specialized in fire magic.

Fearing his return, his sister ambushed Elwin with several of his cousins loyal to her. Though he put up a valiant fight, numbers overwhelmed. Elwin was killed and discarded once again like so much trash.

RP Sample:

Last edited by Togot; Jun 20th, 2022 at 03:51 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 03:29 PM
Humble Tavernkeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2153
Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand Hal Hammerhand

Last edited by Hal Hammerhand; Jun 21st, 2022 at 02:22 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 06:06 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan Chylopan
Charnel Knight
right-aligned image

Name: Ser Yorick
Race: Human (Custom Lineage)
Alignment: Chaotic/Neutral Good
Class: Paladin 3 (Oathbreaker) / Warlock 2 (Hexblade)
Background: Knight

Personality: Dour but stalwart. Stoic yet thoughtful. Chivalrous and dutiful in all ways. A proud servant of his liege, whose enemies he did dispense wrath upon, and whose allies were made to feel as kith and kin — alas, no longer! Oh yes, once upon a time he may have been a knight for true, a champion of the realm, a leader of men... but now, after a wicked gambit saw fit to eclipse his heart, Ser Yorick recalls these virtues and deeds like one might the shadow of a thought in the periphery of their mind; it is there, somewhere... elusive, ephemeral like in dreams.

He clings to hope not for a better future but to reconcile with the past.

Backstory: Master of a chapter of knights in service to a great King, Ser Yorick's duties made him responsible for the protection of the crown and its descendants. This charge required hyper-vigilance, not just of him but for all those who pledged their eternal service, for the king's enemies were many and varied, both foreign and domestic. Often times service called Yorick to the field of battle so that he could mete out threats before they encroached upon the land, and where the Master would go so, too, did the chapter, but when it was that corruption and treachery did befall the homeland he considered it an affront to his very honor; ergo, a deeply personal affair to be handled with extreme prejudice.

One such affair came by way of a usurper to the throne, one who had then amassed an army of once-loyal subjects and threatened to bare down on the crown. Day by day the villainous host drew nearer to the throne, cutting a swathe through the conscripted and knightly chapters alike, until, finally, it came to blows on the kingdom's doorstep. In desperation, Yorick turned to whispers of the arcane, to ye olde legend, which told tales of a righteous weapon hidden deep within the realm's darkest chasm. Stories told of a great fiend felled by its might, of an ancient land saved from unspeakable corruption — and so it was; and so it had been found after long quest.

But righteous a weapon it was no longer. Upon claiming the legend for his own, a profane evil hidden within it then made itself known to one and all. Ser Yorick was helpless to the rapturous lullaby of its awesome power. It begged of him blood and he had it drink from those who had helped him quest, forsaking his brotherly bond and oath — to save king and country; the ends justified the means. Alas, the end ne'er came. The weapon drank and drank, bestowing power unto the drunken knight, until naught more remained of his true personhood but a sliver to be puppeteered by a great evil.

Yorick never made it back to his kingdom. What become of the realm was no longer of any consequence to that which now made him its host.

That is, until fate saw fit to sever this foul knight from the mortal coil. Most violently.

The who, the how, the why... witnessed only by the evil which drove him mad.

Yorick-true resurfaced but in time to die, or so he thought.

A creeping, crawling fog then rolled in.

Ominous and foreboding.

His shepherd.

RP Sample:

Last edited by Chylopan; Jun 20th, 2022 at 10:01 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 07:22 PM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 270
Zangul Zangul Zangul
NAME: K'yorl A'Daragon
right-aligned image
K'yorl A'Daragon

RACE: Drow

ALIGNMENT: Chaotic Neutral

CLASS: Rogue 1 / Sorcerer 4 origin Shadow magic

BACKGROUND: Haunted One

PERSONALITY: K'yorl looks at the world as a giant puzzle waiting to be solved. Life, Death the mystery within it all, is intriguing, yet never satisfying. For one answer brings two more questions. He doesn't just jump into the fray, he thinks it through and plans his moves and actions. Every situation has a solution, and all tasks is get it done by any means necessary.

APPEARANCE: K'yorl wears black leather armor with a black wool cloak with a hood. The hood hides his drak elf face, but his bright purple eyes glow in the dark hood. His leather armor has long sleeves to cover the hand prints on his shoulders, and keeps the everlasting chill of his arms from being touched. A memento left behind from the undead shadow that took his strength and left him for dead. When the hood is down you see a grey face Drow with long silver hair that flows down his back. When he speaks it's with a stern and malevolent voice.

PERSONALITY TRAITS: 1) I spend money freely and live life to the fullest, knowing that tomorrow I might die. 2) I don’t talk about the thing that torments me. I’d rather not burden others with my curse.

Ideals: I have a dark calling that puts me above the law.

BOND: I would sacrifice my life and my soul to protect the innocent.

FLAW: I have certain rituals that I must follow every day. I can never break them.

Harrowing event: My shadow or what I believed to be my shadow killed me and scared my shoulders with it's hand prints and left my arms in a never ending chill. Arms always feel frozen to the touch, and can never get warm.

BACKSTORY:My shadow lifted me up arms length hands on both shoulders like a frozen clamp. Then it looked me in the eyes and I felt my strength and life force leaving my body. Then in an instant my limp body lays on the ground motionless. A calming voice echos through the air and says now is not the time. A flash of light and a gasp of air later I find myself back in my body. My arms a frozen to the touch and two hand prints fuzed into my shoulders. When I stand up I noticed that my shadow was gone, but it is out there somewhere..... Lurking, Stalking, waiting for that moment again to strike out. It's my curse.

RP SAMPLE: " K'yorl do you Have it? You are going to be a legend!" Hector pats him on the arms to congratulate him. "Your arms are so cold! Demon! Get away."

"I am no more a demon, as you are a honest shop keeper. Now enough with the nonsense. No I did not get the Chalice, the map was wrong as I suspected it was a fake. The Chalice of everlasting life is just a myth. "

"What are we going to do now, you have looked high and low and can never seem to find it." Hector orders another drink and passes out after making way to his room.

No one can find out what happened at the tower. But the Chalice is real I felt it. My shadow killed me and something brought me back. Limited time to save the world. Just to die again. "Another round for everyone." goes to his room to process all that expired the night before when the old women cursed him.

In undercommon "A l'yorn d'jal ussta bwael karma, k'alf netrannes ulu Source, agape ssinssrigg, lu'selfless acts, Usstan joros l'galavern ulu qualla drewst jal negative entities dal nindol qu'ellar. Dos ph'naut al'doer ghil, ji qualla alu rath ulu vel'klar dos doerrus dal"

You can't kill what you can't see,
But what you can't see can kill you! Quote from Nailo moonshade Phantom Rogue

Last edited by Zangul; Jun 21st, 2022 at 04:51 PM.
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 08:22 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 761
RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN RossN
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Masanra
Alignment: Neutral
Race: Dhampir
Class: Rogue
Subclass Inquisitive
Background: Urchin

Appearance: A pale, slender attractive woman with white-blonde hair and blue eyes. With her sharp features and graceful movement, many first meeting her assume she has Elven blood. She doesn't, but it is an error Masanra has often left uncorrected - or even deliberately misled others about. She appears to be in her mid-20s but is in fact several decades older and her long career without obviously aging helped feed into the assumption she was at least part Elf.

Personality: Clever, perceptive and cynical with a strong if biting sense of humour. Most of the time she comes across as rather aloof and she has few close friends, especially given her reluctance to disclose her true nature. Masanra is a professional and fulfils her contracts honestly and honourably, charging high fees for her skill. She also has a code of ethics she won't cross when it comes to jobs - while she will certainly kill evil-doers in her line of work she is very clear she is detective and bounty hunter, not an assassin for hire.

On the occasions when her iron control does crack she becomes downright terrifying.

Backstory: Masanra was always a perceptive sort and survived a difficult youth as an orphan in the city of Palanthas in Ansalon on the world of Krynn. Initially a successful pickpocket, as she entered her late teens she enjoyed an illicit romance with a member of the City Watch. Though the romance didn't linger it did spark an interest in working for the side of law in the young woman. Too stubbornly independent and fond of coin to join the Watch she instead became a freelance inquisitive, investigating crimes and moonlighting as a bounty hunter.

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately) for Masanra an investigation into a mysterious kidnapping led her straight into the lair of an urban vampire. The undead creature half turned the young woman but did not complete the process that would turn Masanra into a full vampiress, preferring to have a slave who could operate in daylight. It took Masanra months to shake off the mental control of her powerful master - and months more to arrange his death and her own freedom.

Now a dhampir she fled Palanthas and spent the next three decades moving around Ansalon, continuing her career but leaving towns every few years before people began to wonder why she never seemed to age or why so many of the criminals she tangled with ended up dead of blood loss (except for a few regrettable incidents where she has lost control Masanra has stuck to draining the blood of the worst of the worst - murderers and slavers and so on.)

Her career came to an abrupt end when she was successfully framed by a real vampire for the murders of several serving girls. The vampire (a cousin of sorts being created by Masanra's old master) drugged the wine in the inn the dhampir was staying at, causing her to temporarily lose control and mindlessly give into her bloodlust. When the city watch found her drinking a barmaid dry they dragged the still confused dhampir out into the crossroads and beheaded her there and then to make sure the "vampiress" was fully dead...

RP Sample: WIP

Old Jun 20th, 2022, 09:03 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8
cool hand luke
A couple of questions, I have a couple warlock builds I was interested in, when the warlock comes back to life is the pact still in tact and does the patron automatically know there subject is back among the living?
Old Jun 20th, 2022, 10:03 PM
Modron Manager

Tools
User Statistics
@Carmac - I do believe my application is complete. Had a blast writing it!

Looking forward to reading more! Good luck everyone.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 04:10 AM
Evil Overlord

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3643
Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac Carmac
Quote:
Originally Posted by cool hand luke View Post
A couple of questions, I have a couple warlock builds I was interested in, when the warlock comes back to life is the pact still in tact and does the patron automatically know there subject is back among the living?
Yes and yes.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 01:19 PM
Royal Lion

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4557
Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83 Treble83
I decided to pivot completely to Paladin. Hope he's not too vanilla but thought that it might be an interesting dynamic to throw him into a place that is so far from everything he knows and believes.
Old Jun 21st, 2022, 02:59 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 133
Nyx89 Nyx89
Application
right-aligned image

Name: Kiaran Dalael

Race: Drow

Class: Sorcerer - Shadow Magic

Alignment: Neutral Good

Appearance: Kiaran is a short Drow woman with dusky purple-gray skin and braided white hair. Her eyes are a dark crimson.

Personality: Kiaran is serious and studious by nature. With a keen mind and deep curiosity about the world and the knowledge that can be discovered, she is very observant and attuned to her surroundings. Not a social butterfly by nature, she is more reserved and closed off with her feelings, until she feels she trusts someone enough to reveal more of herself.

Backstory: Kiaran's adoptive parents found her wandering the streets of Baldur's Gate alone when she was just a toddler. She didn't know her own name or what had happened to her or where her biological parents were. As Drow were still quite unusual and rare to see on the surface, this was a strange situation indeed. But Kiaran's adoptive parents were a pair of kind moon elves who couldn't have children of their own so they decided to take her in and raise her in their own culture. As a result, Kiaran knows very little of Lolthite Drow society, except what she's been taught by her parents and learned from rumors on the street. Being a Drow in a mostly human and elven society wasn't easy on Kiaran, and she faced quite a lot of stigma and discrimination wherever she went. So she was proud beyond measure when she was accepted to study at Candlekeep.

After many years of study, Kiaran became a librarian of Candlekeep, a prestigious post and great honor. As she grew up and went through puberty, however, powers she never realized she had began to become apparent. She found that she could manipulate energy and even the shadows themselves, that she had an innate magical talent. This came as a great surprise to her, and she wondered if these new shadow abilities she possessed were somehow related to wherever she'd been before being found in a Baldur's Gate alley. Candlekeep was quite pleased with her new powers, and several loremasters became fascinated by her magic and unraveling the secrets of her past. They theorized that she had been touched by Shadowfell somehow, perhaps even been in that plane for a time, but Kiaran couldn't remember any of it.

Because of her expertise in linguistics and her powerful magical abilities, Kiaran was tasked with going on many expeditions and supervising many magical experiments sponsored by the university. It was on such a mission that things went terribly wrong. While they were exploring a tomb to recover ancient tomes, they were beset by a powerful, enraged ghost, a lich of the tomb's inhabitant. The lich dispatched the expedition's bodyguards and scholars with little trouble. Watching her companions slaughtered in front of her, Kiaran tried to escape, but it was in vain. The last thing she remembered is a powerful sensation of coldness spreading throughout her whole body and then complete and utter darkness.

RP Sample:

They'd been digging for hours now, and yet they still hadn't breached the final sanctum of the tomb. Kiaran sat on the dusty floor with her legs crossed in front of her, journal on her lap, and quill in hand. Every now and then she moistened the tip of the quill with her tongue. She was studying the ancient runes inscribed over the doorway to the inner sanctum. The runes signified a form of language that preceded modern languages such as the Common tongue or Dwarvish. As Candlekeep's resident librarian of all things linguistic, she was tasked with deciphering the script. She'd also be the first one to take a crack at any valuable tomes contained within the inner sanctum.

"Hmm, I think this is an early form of the Abyssal language," she muttered to herself, chewing on the nub of the pen. "So that rune there...it could be dark...no wait, death. That one means death...Well, that sounds appropriate for a tomb."

It was just then that the hired laborers broke through into the inner sanctum. Kiaran heard the cheers and laughter as the men wiped the sweat from their brows. She was here with two other researchers from Candlekeep, a dwarven woman who was an expert on premodern societies, and a sallow-faced human man who was a very high-ranking librarian. They both had already scrambled toward the newly formed entryway into the sanctum. Kiaran got up and wiped the dust from her pants, stowing her journal back in her pack. She was just about to join her fellow scholars when one of the laborers began to scream. After that, everything happened very quickly.

Someone...no, something emerged from the tomb, a horror such as Kiaran had never seen before. It was spectral, but its form could still make contact with the physical world, which it did by sinking monstrously long claws into the laborer's bodies. Their screams quickly turned into a sickening gurgling. The two hired bodyguards drew their swords, but the ghost, or whatever it was, blasted them with a dark magic that caused them to write and scream and gouge at their own eyes. Shock had frozen Kiaran to the spot, but now she screamed and turned to flee. She was not quick enough, not nearly quick enough. Before she could even reach the entrance to the tomb, she felt cold fingers grasp her shoulder and then a deep, cold pain in her back. Blackness took her before her body even reached the floor.

Last edited by Nyx89; Jun 24th, 2022 at 03:44 PM.
Old Jun 22nd, 2022, 11:32 PM
E X N O X L U X

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11823
ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex ElderOblex

Last edited by ElderOblex; Jul 9th, 2022 at 04:49 AM.
Old Jun 24th, 2022, 09:06 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14246
Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum Insacrum
@Carmac: You mentioned that it would be OK that our characters would be from other lands. Could we use the official free WotC Planeshift supplements (Collected here for ease of use)?

My initial thought was possibly a Kaladeshi Dwarf... but something else might catch my fancy as I peruse the settings, if allowed.