RPXP: 4502
Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga Amarga
Whoops forgot about that, should be good now
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 03:07 PM
chief fiction officer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 4307
morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha morgantha
Yep, Doileag is a circle of spores Druid.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 04:57 PM
Your Local Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9177
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Alright. I failed my Will Save.

Consider this a placeholder for when/if I sneak my character app in before my move!! Damn my weak-will and love for slice-of-life campaigns!

Character Application
COMPLETE

Name: Krow Munday
Race: Half-Orc
Class: RogueTotally a Paladin
Background: CriminalDon't Worry About It

A crinkled letter arrives...
right-aligned image
An old weathered portrait that was definitely not cut out from a wanted poster.
Hail and well met, Missus Adelmi.

M’name is Krow Munday.

I came across your ad during my very real, very holy activities of saving kittens from trees and walking grannies across the street. Cuz that’s what I do. As a Paladin. And I found myself smitten with your request. Y’see, I am getting too old to be in the game anymore.

The Paladin game, I mean. And nuttin' else.

And thought to meself that farming life would suit me alright. There ain’t no work too dirty for ole Krow, and I have always been told farmwork is the second dirtiest job out there, next to– well, it don’t matter what.

I have a great range of skills. From, y’know, that thing I do.

I am good at keeping folks out from places you don’t want. M’good with my hands, especially when it comes to delicate work, like locksmithing and penning. And I ain’t the sort to complain ‘bout working odd hours. Bit of a night owl, anyways, so if you need somebody to patrol your land at night to keep the beasties out, I am your guy.

Also. Big people person. Huge. Folks just can't stay away from me, heh.

It does say in your ad that if I, uh, got a preference for a position, to say it. Here. So, while I am a bit green ‘round greens (bit of farmer humor there for you), I wouldn’t mind learning some about planting, or animal handling. Figured more hands s’better than one, right?

So, that’s it, then. Feel free to contact me at The Stretched Rooster in Toad Bottom, west of Neversummer City, if you are interested in my skills.

Cheers,

Krow Munday

P.S. I almost forgot. I do know folks in the... 'fruit' business who could deliver any goods the farm makes across the trade route. They owe me a favor or two. Iffin' you are interested, of course.

P.S.S. ...there aren't a lot of dogs on the farm, are there? You know what. Nevermind. S'fine. S'cool if there are. Not that there'd be a problem if there was. Love dogs. Definitely not bloody scared of 'em. Be weird if I was, right? Right.

Last edited by Strangemund; Jul 24th, 2022 at 08:35 PM.
Old Jul 23rd, 2022, 07:38 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9659
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangemund View Post
Alright. I failed my Will Save.

Consider this a placeholder for when/if I sneak my character app in before my move!! Damn my weak-will and love for slice-of-life campaigns!
I've never had a chance to do one, so I'm pretty excited too.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 01:29 AM
Very Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2323
Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter Verdant Glitter
I've been waffling back and forth on whether to apply on this - The scenario is super charming and precious and I have an idea or two for a character to use, but also I have like zero knowledge of 5E! I suppose I should ask a few questions, hahah.

Would being unfamiliar with the edition be problematic?
Are there any playable rodent races, something in a mouse-folk vein? Or is it possible to jury-rig one up? If so I think I could work my maus-gineer in here easily enough (artificer class but all the 'spells' are gadgets if GM-acceptable, as has been suggested to me by more knowledgeable folk!) as she would be the favored character to apply with!

If not, I've long had an idea for a somber, older Dwarven stoneworker/architect (Probably fighter class with a very large hammer) who opted for 'adventuring', mostly to visit far-away places and examine their styles of construction to better fortify his ol' mountainhome; helping a farmstead get back on its feet for a few years would be a one way to do that, especially if they have a handy mine on the grounds! Alternatively, a relatively normal human witch with a fondness for nature, a penchant for alchemy, and a need for a new home.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 04:09 AM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide Runetide
Quote:
Originally Posted by Verdant Glitter View Post
Are there any playable rodent races, something in a mouse-folk vein? Or is it possible to jury-rig one up? If so I think I could work my maus-gineer in here easily enough (artificer class but all the 'spells' are gadgets if GM-acceptable, as has been suggested to me by more knowledgeable folk!) as she would be the favored character to apply with!
I'm also not very familiar with 5e. I've been a Pathfinder person since like 2009. However, I do have hero lab and that's helped me grok the mechanical bits and bobs.

I'm sure there are better versed players here, so I'll only add that I don't see any mouse-type folk among the roster of races as opposed to PF's ysoki/ratfolk, but I think there's a custom race thing. *shrug*

Either way, hallo!

Question for the DM: How does making up your own spells work? I would love, when I do get magic at level 2, to have a few more... non-combat ey spells.
Specifically, something along the lines of 'Shear Sheep' and 'Milk Animal' or 'sow seeds' and their 'mass' variants. I can't imagine in a world with so much magic casters around that some farmer didn't just learn magic to make their jobs easier...

Last edited by Runetide; Jul 24th, 2022 at 04:15 AM.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 05:18 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 337
Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto Hitmyto
Quote:
I've been waffling back and forth on whether to apply on this - The scenario is super charming and precious and I have an idea or two for a character to use, but also I have like zero knowledge of 5E! I suppose I should ask a few questions, hahah.

Ask away, I think just about anyone here would be willing to help and answer any questions (mechanical, content-related or otherwise).
As to your current questions: the Artificer class in D&D 5e already has baked in that it can use tools and physical means to cast spells, althought that's more about channeling their magic. I think taking it a step further and flavouring it as being fully mechanical wouldn't be too far-fetched. There are no specific rodent-races in D&D 5e as of right now. But there are some nice reflavors that would be possible.

First off there's the 'obvious' one: the Harengon, closest to a rodent-species that you'd get, but when I look at their abilities it seems more fitted to a hare, then a mouse (even though not impossible). The race I find interesting to reskin as a mouse-like creature would be goblin, their racial abilities contain fury of the small and nimble escape. Others possibly interesting to look at are gnomes or kobolds. The 'small' size is the smallest player race in the rules.

There's also the possibility of creating a custom lineage in Tasha's: pick a size (small or medium), one ability score +2, one feat, either darkvision or one skill proficiency of your choice and pick one additional language (next to common). You can decide on your appearance any way you like.

The main question would be what would you like to achieve? Would it just be for flavour or would you like some abilities to be tied to it?

Anyhoo, the final word is always to the DM, but he seemed rather open to reflavoring, especially since this isn't going to be a combat-oriented campaign. Seeing some great ideas here, looking forward to your application! Meanwhile, just ask! =)
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 07:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1141
97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg 97mg
Hello everyone! I've just updated the contents of Imelda's letterbox in the first post What a wonderful and diverse mix of characters! Thank you so much for all your hard work.

Quote:

If not, I've long had an idea for a somber, older Dwarven stoneworker/architect (Probably fighter class with a very large hammer) who opted for 'adventuring', mostly to visit far-away places and examine their styles of construction to better fortify his ol' mountainhome; helping a farmstead get back on its feet for a few years would be a one way to do that, especially if they have a handy mine on the grounds! Alternatively, a relatively normal human witch with a fondness for nature, a penchant for alchemy, and a need for a new home.
Hi Verdant Glitter! I don't think being unfamiliar with 5e is a problem at all. We can all help each other along the way and see where this experiment takes us As far as D&D goes, I feel like 5e is mechanically the easiest and pretty pbp friendly. @hitmyto's advice is spot on. There are quite a few ways you might be able to flavor up a mouse folk. Tasha's custom lineages might be the easiest way, but if there is another race (goblin etc as suggested already), that you want to re-skin, that should be fine!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runetide View Post
I'm also not very familiar with 5e. I've been a Pathfinder person since like 2009. However, I do have hero lab and that's helped me grok the mechanical bits and bobs.
Oh the nebulous realm of Pathfinder! I love it too, and it does my head in as well haha. 5e will probably feel like an easy breeze in comparison!

Quote:
Question for the DM: How does making up your own spells work? I would love, when I do get magic at level 2, to have a few more... non-combat ey spells.
Specifically, something along the lines of 'Shear Sheep' and 'Milk Animal' or 'sow seeds' and their 'mass' variants. I can't imagine in a world with so much magic casters around that some farmer didn't just learn magic to make their jobs easier...
Oh, interesting question! Let me think on this one. I'm certainly not against some custom uses for magic. We can probably apply some of the existing ones in fun ways too. Milking with a mage hand lol, and Druidcraft has some pretty interesting applications. Let me so some research, perhaps at each level up a PC can invent one spell of their own... perhaps using an existing spell but changing some of the words / applications of it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitmyto View Post
Anyhoo, the final word is always to the DM, but he seemed rather open to reflavoring, especially since this isn't going to be a combat-oriented campaign. Seeing some great ideas here, looking forward to your application! Meanwhile, just ask! =)
Reflavoring is totally an option! Core 5e kind of always felt restrictive with so few classes and races, but it seems to have opened up a bit with all the other goodies WOTC have been putting out. Flavoring things for style and fun, so things are the way you'd like them and more relevant to your character, is great. It's fun seeing the different way people approach this

GAME SIZE

So we're up to 8 applications now, and I really love all of them, and it seems there will be more too! Looking like we might need to run two "groups" who co-inhabit the same farm. That way everyone gets to meet and play with everyone else at some point. I've done this before, and the only big challenge is keeping two timelines fairly close to each other... mmm... will have to put the thinking cap on...
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 07:23 AM
Mysterious Ice Ninja

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9253
Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu Touketsu
Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mg View Post
Looking like we might need to run two "groups" who co-inhabit the same farm. That way everyone gets to meet and play with everyone else at some point. I've done this before, and the only big challenge is keeping two timelines fairly close to each other... mmm... will have to put the thinking cap on...
Maybe we exist on the same farm in two different realities, and the veil between them is really thin because of something to do with ley lines, demonic activity from ages past, etc, and the actions of one farm sometimes affect the other.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 09:44 AM
Floof

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3084
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
Quote:
I've got a third party supplement focused on "domestic magic" that has a few spells like this, such as a spell that "saves" the layout of a room so you can "reset" it to put all your tools back in their proper places, or a spell that cleanly cuts an object (hardness of wood or softer) in half. If 97mg is up for it, we could incorporate some of those, or use them as a benchmark for designing other spells that would be useful around the farm. I mean, we already have at least two PCs looking to leverage the amazing cleaning power of prestidigitation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97mg
So we're up to 8 applications now, and I really love all of them, and it seems there will be more too! Looking like we might need to run two "groups" who co-inhabit the same farm. That way everyone gets to meet and play with everyone else at some point. I've done this before, and the only big challenge is keeping two timelines fairly close to each other... mmm... will have to put the thinking cap on...
This sounds like a tall order to me from a GMing standpoint, but if you've done it before, then you have a better idea of how it works in practice than I do. And we do have a lot of great applications in this thread. The initial post mentions the possibility of a mine as well as running a small business on the property, so it might be that some PCs are involved in running the restaurant/B&B aspect of the venture while others focus on the farm.
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 11:49 AM
Your Local Cryptid

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9177
Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund Strangemund
Quote:
I've never had a chance to do one, so I'm pretty excited too.
It is my first time applying to one! Like you, I am also a huge fan of Stardew Valley, as well as the original Harvest Moon series, so this campaign 97mg is cooking up hits all the right notes for me! Plus, I am always looking for an excuse to write more comedy!

By the way, good to see you again, Runetide!! I see you are bringing your A-game again for your character concept!
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 03:51 PM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 320
Zangul Zangul Zangul Zangul
My first time doing a farm simulator type as an RPG. I have played farm simulator on PC and PS4.

You can't kill what you can't see,
But what you can't see can kill you! Quote from Nailo moonshade Phantom Rogue
Old Jul 24th, 2022, 04:06 PM
Runeforger

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangemund View Post
It is my first time applying to one! Like you, I am also a huge fan of Stardew Valley, as well as the original Harvest Moon series, so this campaign 97mg is cooking up hits all the right notes for me! Plus, I am always looking for an excuse to write more comedy!

By the way, good to see you again, Runetide!! I see you are bringing your A-game again for your character concept!
Nice to see you again too!

Thanks! I try to make interesting characters. This one just seemed to speak to me. If selected, he'll be able to make sure the fields are watered, and probably also be the guy to drive the wagon of harvests to town so we can sell them since he's also got vehicle driving proficiency. I just realized I can play him off as being dedicated to work since he'll probably be found 'monitoring' the water supply... by taking naps in it.

Sounds like your character is going to be quite interesting too! Look forward to the interactions!