twitter facebook mastodon bluesky

Notices

Closed Thread

Old May 31st, 2020, 06:30 AM
Methuselah of DnD

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 88207
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
June POTM

Spring has sprung, and summer is here (for most of us. Winter for Hugga).

Are you enjoying the warmer weather? Or is it already so hot that you've retreated to the coolness of your house? Whichever it is, don't let the summer fun (or winter doldrums) stop you from enjoying your games, and especially, enjoying a well written post or ten.

Got a great post from your gaming this month? Nominate it here. Give them some RPXP and take the extra step, to let others see what you saw in the post. You are the eyes and imaginations out there, show us what you have found in June!
Old Jun 11th, 2020, 03:19 AM
Ancient Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2837
Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson Crimson
Player Nominated: Jon
Game: Traveller: The Third Imperium
System: Traveller MgT2 (Mongoose 2nd Edition)
Referee: savoylen

Reason for Nomination: My DM and I were trying to describe an engine room and were having trouble coming up with anything terribly interesting. While casting about for inspiration, he found Jon's most excellent post and showed it to me. I fell in love with it. The quality of writing is impeccable. The amount of detail given is extensive (I don't think I would notice this much even were I standing in the room myself). The self-editing here is perfect: absolutely everything that is said needs to be there, and nothing that needed to be there wasn't said.

In short, I feel that all of us PBPers should strive towards this standard of excellence.

Direct Link

Old Jun 21st, 2020, 11:01 AM
Awopbopaloobopalopbamboom

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 71276
bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger bananabadger
Player nominated: Rasgorn
Game: Reluctant Heroes
System: Homebrew (mostly D&D 3.5 and 5e mix)
GM: Rasgorn and Gibbon

About the Game: Reluctant Heroes is one of those RPGX gems where the actual game is older than some of the people playing it. Begun as a tabletop D&D game in the 1980s, the game is now into its third or fourth generation of PCs and NPCs. Some of its original cast of PCs even form its pantheon of rulers, saints and historic figures. This narrative-heavy game takes place among seven different active threads spread across various locations in an alternative-history Europe of the 1300s. New players like myself are dropped into self-contained scenarios that gradually open up to the greater world, allowing us to slowly encounter the history and legends behind the game and to realize that our feeble characters, too, have a chance of entering into the lore of this long-running adventure.

Reason for Nomination: This particular post is from one of the threads devoted to assimilating newer players into the wider game. Since February of 2020, Rasgorn (the GM) has been methodically unrolling a convergence scene that brings together at least five different PC-controlled parties sheltering from a goblin army, a plague, an undead uprising, corrupt officials and their own personal demons. It's no Partridge Family safe house reunion though, Rasgorn has pushed the characters and the NPCs to a point where they are exhausted and equally suspicious of one another, throwing up new challenges and points of contention most every week. Here, the action is taking place in at least three separate but nearby locations: an ersatz rescue party thrown together by the different groups has returned to the safe house with a PC who was wounded on a botched scouting raid; in another room of that same house, a warlock who distrusts the others (and particularly the priests) has discovered that one of the priests is about to turn undead; and, just outside the window, had any of the other players bothered to look (we didn't—but in our defense, we were busy dying of poison and stabbing one another), a new group of adventurers led by a plague doctor with a greenhorn security force has arrived into the town unaware of any of the dangers. Done without any graphics or stat blocs and divided into three short fieldsets, this post from Rasgorn exemplifies the theater-of-the-mind variation for RPGX games. His post weaves in some history and context of the game and then quickly summarizes past round actions and moves the game forward with NPC actions and narrative hooks. And remember, this is only one of seven active threads. I have no idea how Rasgorn keeps so many stories and sub-stories going on in his head or in his spreadsheets, but I'm grateful he does.

Link to Post in Game Thread

Last edited by bananabadger; Jun 22nd, 2020 at 01:41 AM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 10:51 AM
Swords, not words!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 52120
lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio lostcheerio
Player Nominated: Bananabadger
Game: Barovia Wants You!
System: 5e
DM: Exfilia

Reason for Nomination: The game is Curse of Strahd, with some tweaks and twists to the module as run by Exfilia. Bananabadger's post requires some explanation, in fact, because of one of those tweaks and twists! Two months into the game, one of the players retired, but left his PC, a forest gnome monk with an eccentric way of speaking, in the game. DM asked Bananabadger to adopt the PC, at least until the end of the episode, or whenever she figured out how to properly retire him.

Unbeknownst to Bananabadger and the rest of us, Exfilia decided that actually Strahd had killed this PC before we ever left our original camp, and had now infiltrated the party masquerading as this gnome monk. When she let Bananabadger in on it, they started gradually, gradually making the posts more sinister and serious. And while we had a couple of "Huh, what's up with that gnome?" moments, no one had a clue until this nominated post, where the gnome revealed himself as Strahd. It was one of those twists that make you think back on the clues you ignored, and say "oh, YEAH." The difficult task of taking on this odd little PC, and then playing him as a lurking villain, and then "pulling off the mask" in such dramatic fashion, required some truly exceptional writing.

And then there was the big reveal, which left us all with our jaws on the ground. Props to Exfilia and Bananabadger for pulling this off.

Nominated post: Link to the post itself

Last edited by lostcheerio; Jun 23rd, 2020 at 10:53 AM.
Old Jun 23rd, 2020, 04:07 PM
The Greatest Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3374
abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123 abc123
Player nominated: pianoman90
Game: [bb]Dawn of Worlds[/bb]
System: Dawn of Worlds
GM: MarsComulus

About the Game: For those who aren't familiar with the Dawn of Worlds system, it was created as a world creation system, in which the PCs are new gods who have come upon a barren landscape, and spend time developing it into a fully Homebrewed world, usually to be used in a future campaign. I first learned about this system some years ago, when this site was still DnDOG, and fell in love with the possibilities it lent itself to story creation. As someone who has always had an interest in religious mythology, and how these stories were originally created, it seemed like the perfect system for me. Unfortunately, that game petered out after a few rounds due to players losing interest, and the few times I have seen it on this site since have usually met the same fate. Until this game.

In the beginning, I had a little trepidation going in, expecting it to meet the same fate as the other games I had played. This was not helped by the fact that the recruitment process was nothing more than an interest check, and the title of the game itself is just the name of the system we're playing in. However, I was quickly proven wrong, and we're now 2 months in to an amazing creation story. pianoman90 is just one of the many imaginative and talented writers and story tellers who make this game a joy to come to every day, and I highly recommend following along for anyone who enjoys ancient mythology and creation stories as much as I do.

Reason for Nomination: For some backstory, pianoman90 plays as Yesz'Gaea, Goddess of Air and Alacrity. She has progressed from someone who was a staunch supporter of the eldest of the gods, Aonar, God of Command and Passion, into someone who watched with horror as he tore the wings from a group of people they both had helped create, due to them deserting their creators for the God of Chaos, and then the God of Deception and Beasts (he has since seen the error of his ways, and is now on a soul searching atonement journey). Yesz'Gaea has taken it upon herself now to become an advocate for peace and diplomacy, and this post signifies the culmination of her work: the first Summit between the Gods and/or their Avatars, set at the High Throne that has been a High point of contention already. And this is just a quick slice from it, and I'm not fully doing that story justice, so again, I do recommend giving the story a read.

The creativity that went into this post, taking elements from how each of the cities had received her gifts of airships in her previous turn and incorporating that into the little gifts that she gave them this turn. The emotionality that went into it, the sadness she feels about the wars between people and their deities, as well as for the poor Craaben who destroyed her gifts believing them to be a mockery of their lost ability to fly, the hope she has for the future if the Gods could just set aside their differences and work together, the joy she feels when she sees the little things the different mortal races are already doing for each other.

All in all, a beautifully written post that I can try my hardest, but never fully do justice. I truly love playing this game, and I hope you enjoy reading through it as much as I do.

Nominated Post: Here

Old Jun 26th, 2020, 10:02 AM
pushing poo uphill

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 20925
phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar phinar
Player Nominated: Sassafrass
Game: Out of the Abyss
DM: Sassafrass

Link

Reason: Sassafrass is a celebrated DM, and it's easy to see why. Look at this post! Music, art, and a ton of prose. And the prose! Drenched in detail, dripping style, and with a complete cut scene setting the flavor of the chapter.

Note the distinct voices in his dialog. Observe his pacing. Recognize the dark menace that lurks behind his words, eager to devour minds. Sassafrass is telling a story of shadow and malice, and his language evokes that aura.

Old Jun 26th, 2020, 08:05 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3088
Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of Howling Winds of
Player Nominated: rhaiber
Game: The Count of Raven's Keep
System: DmD 5e
DM: Homestarbaby

About The Game: So, stop me if you've heard this one before. A drow, a Changling, an elf and two humans walk into a tavern. What's that, you say? Keep going? why, certainly! The Count of Raven's Keep centers around this group of intrepid spies, all working for a mysterious entity known to them only as The Patron. To say this introduction is an epic way to enter said tavern is probably right on target. At this point, each character had been lead, upon entering the tavern, to a back room, where they were all told to wait for "Lady Sapphire" their contact; who was to give them all a very important mission. This game follows their adventures and tells the story of of this quintuplet as they journey through the City of Sharn.

Reason for Nomination: I think I speak for all the players, and our DM, when I say this character has been a source of constant humor and enjoyment. While other party members have embraced the more tense side of things; or the more practical side of their predicaments; The Professor has brought, emotion, creativity; a little anger; and a bombastic style very befitting of his background. Little did we all know just what The Professor would bring to the table when he made his introduction. From a writing perspective, this post is phenomenal. It has all of the above elements, woven together by rhymes! Yes, that's right, the Professor rhymes just about everything. For me, personally, that's what makes this post worthy of the POTM honor.

The mere fact that, whatever the situation, The Professor always has a rhyme (and a unique perspective on things that makes everyone else go "I didn't think of it that way!") is a testament to rhaiber's creativity. I've even started to notice, in some of my own posts, that I'm starting to rhyme, too! It's impossibly infectious, let me tell you!

Link to Nominated Post

Old Jun 29th, 2020, 07:52 PM
Banned

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12536
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Player Nominated: Marshmallow
Game: Vienna Calling
DM: Phettberg
Reason for Nomination: I feel a bit cheeky nominating myself and doing so on the last day of the month, but, while this isn't quite as beautiful as some of our other nominations in regards to formatting, I feel like this really highlights the day-to-day of Nomad as a character but also provides a look into a 'day of the life' in the Shadowrun universe. There's this world that to us seems magical and dipped in the fantastical, while to Nomad it's just... Another day. The presence of Orcs, Trolls, Dwarves, and Elves are barely more than a footnote while she's going about her business. This isn't even including the addition of Nomad and the rest of the team is hired to guard a person against an assassination attempt they know next to nothing about, yet there she goes grabbing a coffee.

Link to Nominated Post

Old Jun 30th, 2020, 01:49 AM
Han Solo shot first!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 23344
Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk Silk
I'll second the nomination. It was quite good and If I had thought of it Marshmallow wouldn't have had to get cheeky

~ I'm Back!!! ~

Old Jun 30th, 2020, 10:48 AM
Lucky Sevens

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5535
Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2 Airdish2
Player nominated: SalmonMax
Game: Dark Matter
GM: Savoylen

About the Game: Dark Matter is a long-running modern age game about a supernatural investigation agency, the Hoffmans. Death Otter was part of a team that went through hell and back, kidnapped by shapeshifting aliens, escaping from an exploding space station and facing off Wendigos and Sasquatch in the bitter north. We lost a ton of players along the way! Anyway, she needs a raise, check out the post

Last edited by Airdish2; Jun 30th, 2020 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Formatting
Closed Thread