Notices

Old 01-19-2020, 06:32 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 53
Orannis
Hi everyone!

Hello! Like a lot of tabletop enthusiasts my age, getting games going in meatspace is tough, so I like to try out a PbP from time to time. I typically haunt the official message board of my preferred game, but recently decided to try spreading my wings and looking at other forums.

The site and community look great! Hopefully I will find a game before too long.

I've been playing for about 25 years - since I was in third grade. I began with AD&D 2E, but these days my game of choice is 1st Edition Pathfinder. I also like a little D&D 5E from time to time!

I am a Bard Guy. I play a lot -I mean, like, *a lot*- of Bards.

That's the basics. Hello everyone!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:15 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24711
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Welcome to the club chummer!

You're in luck, Pathfinder and D D5 are the big dogs around here but you can find just about anything if you're patient enough.

All bards all the time eh? How do you keep it fresh? Do you always play the same thing, or do you have different flavors? Ever make a hard based off of interpretive dance?

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!
Old 01-19-2020, 07:44 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Orannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imveros View Post

All bards all the time eh? How do you keep it fresh? Do you always play the same thing, or do you have different flavors? Ever make a hard based off of interpretive dance?

Let us know if there is anything we can do to help you settle in!

Well, more like "lots of Bards a lot of the time". I'm also very fond of PF's Inquisitor class: I like classes with a good deal of versatility. Outside of that, I am also partial to martials and weird (but by no means power-gamey) multiclass builds. I almost never play full casters unless it's a multiclass or something with a lot going on otherwise, like a Druid. As for keeping Bards fresh, Paizo's archetypes made that something much, much easier to do. Playing against type in various ways is also fun.

And for the record, yes: I have played an interpretive dance Bard. And a mime as well!

Thank you much for the warm welcome!

Last edited by Orannis; 01-19-2020 at 07:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2020, 09:15 PM
Electrum DM 2019

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 11404
Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok Unko Talok
Welcome to the site, Orannis! Glad to see another Bard Enthusiast. I like the 2/3 caster classes like Bards and inquisitors for the same reason. It's a fair amount of versatility, which makes things fun to play. I've wanted to get a whirling dervish going at various times, but none of the games that I made one for really worked out well.

Let us know if you've got any questions! We're happy to help.

Now Recruiting: The Fickle Tendrils of Fate
Old 01-20-2020, 04:09 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21911
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
Goodmorning Orannis,

Welcome over here and good to read you like roleplaying bards. I really liked what they did with the 5e bard (in my personal opinion; they really gained a cool upgrade to actually hurt enemies with thematic cantrips) so I have played my share of bards. (last one was a cynical comedy stand-up one, vicious mockery was used in full depth ;-)

So any cool bard stories to share with us?
Old 01-20-2020, 09:04 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24711
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post

So any cool bard stories to share with us?

Remember, the site is PG13

We all know the bard stereotype!
Old 01-20-2020, 12:31 PM
hold onto that spark

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 26395
Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched Birched
Welcome to RPG Crossing! Have fun exploring, and let us know if you have any questions!
Old 01-20-2020, 01:20 PM
Γόρδιοι δεσμόι

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 996
Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo Gordo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orannis View Post
I've been playing for about 25 years
Well done. If they haven't already, they should be getting you your pin and the pamphlet that details the secret handshake. It took me six weeks to get mine in the mail. You won't get the "Old Fart" pin, not at your age, but I hear the "You're Getting Up There" pin is nice.

Welcome to RPG Crossing.
Old 01-20-2020, 05:19 PM
Next year is Tampa!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 61022
Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk Admin Dirk
Welcome!

another pathfinder fan! Hurrah! Love getting more of those, it's my game too. More gamers means more games, means more fun!

Hope to see you around the boards!
Old 01-20-2020, 06:33 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Orannis
Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

As for good Bard stories, I'd probably have to do a good sit and think to come up with specific small anecdotes. But off the top of my head, my favorite Bard I ever played was in a 3.5 game back in high school. He was from Tethyr and his name was Trevor. It was a three-man party with a bow-oriented Ranger and a Wizard otherwise, so he was rather hilariously deputized as the default front-line in battles resulting in a running gag of his frequent maimings and near-death experiences.

Then the GM got bored and dropped us through a portal to Athas (doubly cruel, as we had virtually no knowledge of the setting at the time) where the Wizard died... quickly. That player mercifully let him die and rolled up a Fighter as a replacement. Then Trevor got kidnapped by a cult and had his heart replaced with a magical artifact. Which was cool aside from the suspicious prevalence of anti-magic fields from there on out, and the incessant pacemaker jokes that accompanied them.

Not specifically a "bard story", but it's the story of my favorite bard.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:05 AM
breathsunflower450rainbow

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 21911
chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla chocoladevla
But, did he survive the artifact implant though ;-)
Thanks for sharing the story, really cool :-)
Old 01-21-2020, 09:55 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Orannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocoladevla View Post
But, did he survive the artifact implant though ;-)
Thanks for sharing the story, really cool :-)

No problem! Always happy to share stories.

And he did survive! He could fly and cast Gust of Wind at will, as well as a slew of other more limited powers. However: Antimagic fields were bad news, lol, as mentioned before.
Old 01-22-2020, 09:36 AM
Destroyer of Dreams

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 730
telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar telcontar
Welcome, Orannis!

I'm also a newbie, and having lots of fun so far. The people here are really welcoming and fun to play with.

I really recommend that you dive right in and apply for games. There's a lot of variety in terms of genre and playstyle. Some are combat heavy. Some are RP heavy. Sometimes someone'll do a WotC published adventure, but there's also lots of experimental games and settings.

And in some cases, you can have a lot of fun just with the application, even if you don't get accepted. I'm currently applying for a game where there's heaps of RP going on already, and the game itself hasn't even started.
Old 01-24-2020, 04:57 PM
Very Young Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Orannis
Quote:
Originally Posted by telcontar View Post
Welcome, Orannis!

I'm also a newbie, and having lots of fun so far. The people here are really welcoming and fun to play with.

I really recommend that you dive right in and apply for games. There's a lot of variety in terms of genre and playstyle. Some are combat heavy. Some are RP heavy. Sometimes someone'll do a WotC published adventure, but there's also lots of experimental games and settings.

And in some cases, you can have a lot of fun just with the application, even if you don't get accepted. I'm currently applying for a game where there's heaps of RP going on already, and the game itself hasn't even started.
Thanks for the welcome!

Yeah, the community looks friendly and healthy from my perusals. I'm excited to dive in, but at the moment I'm looking for a fairly traditional Pathfinder game and the various PF games recruiting right now are either pretty high-concept or using 3rd party material. So! I'll be patient and wait until something more the speed I'm interested in comes along.