RPG Crossing
twitter google facebook

Notices

Old 06-14-2019, 05:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2043
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
The Thistle Witch
right-aligned image
Art by Barbara Rosiak
Name: Effemie Blackheart
Race: Human (Nephalia)
Class: Druid (Circle of the Moon)
Background: Alcolyte
Alignment: Chaotic Good

Personality: Though she has an air of shades and shadows about her, Effemie is a sensitive and affectionate young woman. Where she is unimpressed by worldly possessions, she is moved by the simple life of the common fisherman. Righteous, youthful and not of the most practical mind, Effemie refuses to abide the abuse of the helpless or the mistreatment of animals. Mercy does not interest her and neither does glory.

Backstory:
  • Early Years

There is a tradition among the poorest of Selhoff. The port was a dark, quiet place, blanketed always by Nebelgast, spirit-mist, and plagued by geists and other spectres. The rich and powerful could shield themselves within their spires and their towers of stone, but the powerless had to survive by other means. For some it was an unwavering faith in the great Angel, Avacyn, even as the power of the church seemed to wane more and more every day. For others it was the old ways, the secret ways. And for those Nephalia when a young girl died before her fifth year, by drowning or disease, her body was to be taken to the woods and set in a circle of stones and left there before the rise of the next sun.

This was how the witches of the Mirror Wives sustained their numbers. Most of the girls did not stir again and their bodies were never wasted, but utilized for other purposes. Not many could survive the Binding, but those that did awoke tied to the primordial spirits of the earth and moon. They were raised among the coven as their daughters and eventually sisters. Effemie was the youngest witch of the Mirror Wives and bound to a particularly powerful spirit - the Morrighan, the Dark Wolfess herself.
  • Current Day

Effemie is the youngest of the Mirror Wives and the first to turn her back on the coven. The witches of the woods traded with both the forces of Light and Darkness, careful to stay neutral and far from the war between them. No one know what drove Effemie to leave her woods and her coven- some guess it was a broken heart. Others, a terrible vision of encroaching darkness shown to her on the night of the new moon by the Morrighan.

She has earned herself the nickname 'The Thistle Witch' among the common folk and a small reputation as a hunter of darkness. Together she and a young priest vanquished a minor necromancer that had been terrorizing a small township. The weakening of the church and the rising tide of evil across the land has made room for any and all allies of the light, so the young witch and the church have formed an uneasy alliance.

About me: I'm very familiar with roleplaying and really like the PbP format, but I've actually only played MTG once or twice and have no real knowledge of the world it inhabits, but I love the flavor that this game is going for!

Last edited by Vislands; 06-16-2019 at 03:10 AM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:26 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1058
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
right-aligned image

Name: Jaece LeChance
Race: Human (Kessiger)
Background: Outlander
Class: Ranger (Hunter)
Alignment: Neutral Good

Traits: I place no stock in wealthy or well-mannered folk. Money and manners won’t save you from a hungry owlbear.
Bonds: I fight for those who cannot fight for themselves (and have the coin)
Ideal: Life is like the seasons, in constant change, and we must change with it
Flaws: I am slow to trust members of religious or government factions.

Description: Jaece is unremarkable by human standards. He has dark hair and dark eyes, a strong build from his time surviving on his own, and usually a clean-shaven face. He wears studded leather and a long cloak and hood for traveling. Two sword handles rise above his right shoulder and two hand crossbows sit holstered on either thigh.

Personality: Jaece does not mind the company of others, but he has never been criticized for being the life of the party. Spending weeks at a time alone in the wilderness, he has come to appreciate his time alone. Although he does what he can to not step on the wrong side of the law, he is more interested in living by his own personal code

History: Jaece was born to simple farmers and spent the early years of his life like most he knew: dirty and poor. He did however, have both of his parents, for which he counted himself lucky. That all changed when he was eight years old; his farm was attacked during the night. Not by werewolves or any other number of horrible creatures, no, it was men that destroyed his family. Looters had come looking to take what they wanted and burn the rest. After that, Jaece learned to survive and even thrive living off the land. As he grew older he even started hunting some of the weaker monsters for coin.

A traveling monk encouraged him to join the church, said that he could find a place there. He tried, but left after less than a year. If asked, he would say that he left because he felt stifled by their rules and traditions. In reality, he simply preferred the solitary life on the road, taking the odd job to survive.
The gap-toothed frail old man slowly clinked several gold coins into Jaece's outstretched hand, as though he was reluctant to see them go. As the last one came to a rest, Jaece closed his hand and swiftly deposited them into the pouch at his belt and from another produced a simple necklace made from random beads. The old man started sobbing as he placed the necklace into his now shaking hands.

Th..thank you, master hunter.

Uh huh. Sorry for you loss, Jaece said before putting a foot into a stirrup and mounting his horse. He had been asked to confirm what had happened to the old farmer's daughter, which he did. That she had also been turned...was not something the old man needed to hear right now.

Familiarity with role-playing, and with the Magic: the Gathering game and story: I have a lengthy history with role-playing (PbP and table) as both a player and DM. I have no experience with the MTG setting.

Last edited by Silent Rain; 06-18-2019 at 04:13 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 11:35 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7339
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Whoops. In my haste I forgot an RP sample and a bit about me. I’ll have that updated soon.
Old 06-15-2019, 04:20 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 876
Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod Jrod
Application=Complete
right-aligned image

Name:Nicolae Dragos
Race: Human - Kessig
Background: Folk Hero
Class: Ranger1/Rogue2
Alignment: Neutral Good
Party Role: Ranged attacker, Stealth
Advancement: Ranger Hunter to 5 then Rogue Assassin to 8(?) Maybe Fighter after that, undecided.
Theme: Low magic attacker, hunter predator style of play

Traits: If someone is in trouble, I’m always ready to lend help.
Bonds: I protect those who cannot protect themselves.
Ideal:People deserve to be treated with dignity and respect.
Flaws: I have trouble trusting in my allies.

Description: NIcolea is tall, handsome and poised well. Golden strands of silk hang above his shoulders. Coalescent glacier blue eyes gaze outwardly with a youthful passion. Gold, Brown and copper colored cloths wrap themselves around his compact and lean frame, providing some evidence of good craftsmanship and allegiance to the church.

Personality: He is a dedicated hunter who operates independantly upon his own views. His allegiance to the church is strong, but a rebelious heart beats within his chest. Nicolea is extremely polite, well mannered and behaved when needed, but can quickly turn his emotions to anger with a explosive burst of volatility. He is young, and still reels from the loss of his father. His hatred for the unpure and evil fuel his passion for the hunt.

History: Nicolea was raised as a polite, respectful and hard working boy. His mother had passed upon his birth, forcing his father to raise him alone. His father never married again, never overcoming the agony of loosing his dearest wife.

They were simple people of Innistrad. His father found economic stability as a hunter, trapper and fashioned mundane clothing from the pelts and furs of his prey. At an early age Nicolea learned the skills his father passed down upon him, and worked along side him in the trade. He learned how to use a bow and a knife. He was taught to be independent and how to survive among the wickedness that was apparent in their lands. Had he not learned this self awareness and durability, he would have never been able to forage and survive with what the land provided.

It was an unfortunate night in which turned the story for Nicolea entirely. A pack of out riding werewolves breached the city's walls and laid waste to any victim within reach. Blood stained the streets and cinders cascaded through the air as dwellings burnt to the ground.

Their small village was resilient. Men and women banded together in an attempt to push the beasts back, but to no avail. Nicoleas father fell in the struggle, and only a few townsfolk escaped with their lives. Nicolea himself was able to send a crippling blow to the Werewolf Alpha, sending a silvered bolt through the creatures skull.

To any towns folk who knew of Nicolea or his father would tell stories of their bravery. Simple hunters who stood in the way of devastating creatures. Rumors and whispers had wafted throughout the land of the simple hunter boy who could kill wolves with single bolts. A hero among his people.

It wasn't long until the Church heard word of the exploits. They granted the broken and lost hunter admission to their ranks. Their they raised him, fed him and clothed him. They taught him how to deliver lethal blows to the forces which plagued Illithad. Here he would be their hunter, their answer for the darkness.

About meI have played DnD on RPGX for close to 2.5 years using 5e. Before that I was on hiatus for 10 years. Before that I played on the old site for about 2 years.
Played DnD table top over 10 years ago using 3.5e avidly throughout my youth. Currently not involved in any table top games.
I have no experience with Magic the Gathering but it has always intrigued me.

Last edited by Jrod; 06-19-2019 at 02:25 PM.
Old 06-15-2019, 06:39 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 372
Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama
Sorry, double post.

Last edited by Gualdarrama; 06-16-2019 at 06:18 AM.
Old 06-15-2019, 07:13 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 372
Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama Gualdarrama
Application
left-aligned image
Name: Václav Eusebius Valdštejna

Race: Human (Kessig) STR 10 DEX 16 CON14 INT 12 WIS 14 CHA 8

Class: Rogue-3 (Scout)

Background: Outlander

Personality Trait 1: Money is of no use when a werewolf is on the prowl.

Personality Trait 2: It needn't be hunting down a mark - I'll chop firewood for an old woman if that will feed me.

Ideal: Ecology: I take only what is needed to quell threats and subsist. Desiring more invites ruin.

Ideal 2: Distrustful: I tend to be wary of anyone who is not a Kessiger.

Bond: I am trying to find my lover that one day disappeared without a trace.

Flaw 1: I more than likely see it as "it's too good to be true" when given a hand out.

Flaw 2: My dead sister speaks to me or maybe I'm just mad.

Appearance: At six feet and an inch Václav is tall but lanky as he weighs a mere hundred and fifty pounds. To this day he carries a scar across his face to remind him of the Church official who whipped him with a riding crop for insolence. Václav's hunt has marked his hair with grey streaks though he is but twenty-eight summers old. He keeps that hair medium length except in the back where it is long and tied into a tail. Václav often fiddles with the tricorn hat he wears whenever he is not smoking from his clay pipe. He keeps his facial hair neatly trimmed and tries but often fails to keep his clothes clean.

Backstory: Forester, poacher, thief- this and more have the villagers whispered about Václav. Even Baron Gustavus joked that he'd be sad the day he would be forced to hang him. But Václav was the baron's huntsman and when his skills where needed all sins where forgiven. And of course, Marta loved him so all was well in the world whatever others thought of him.

All was well, that is until the fateful day his lady-love Marta and his sister Sveltlana went into the woods to pick berries and did not return. Václav searched for them both and found his sister horribly mangled. Of Marta their was no sign- not even a bit of torn clothing to say she had been in the woods. It was then that Sveltlana began whispering in his ears- words that only he heard; a spectre only he saw. And she urged him to hunt for Marta for she was not dead.

For three long years Václav has searched with no luck ranging far and wide. He would have given up hope except Sveltlana insists Marta yet lives. And so the search continued. Settling on the fact that Marta was not in Kessig Václav ventured into Gavony.

While passing thru a small village, an Inquisiter took notice of the stranger. The Church was always in need of scouts when hunting abominations and witches in the wilderness and so Václav came to the attention of the Cathers. Remembering the punishment he recieved as a boy for amere quip, he was sure he did not want to disobey the Church. So now he has found himself in Thraben wondering in trepidation what they would ask of him.

Mechanical Progression: Will progress to rogue-4 then fighter(champion)-4. If it goes farther Thief 12/Fighter 8

Additional Info: Most of my pbp experience is w/the Shadowrun boards but now I have a steady home based game and have switched to playing DND on RPGCrossing.
Played MTG(Beta), have not played since so do not know the Innistrad plot line other than what is in the Planeshift PDF.

Last edited by Gualdarrama; 06-15-2019 at 07:57 PM.
Old 06-16-2019, 05:28 AM
Simple Storysmith

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7339
MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac MontageManiac
Application updated now! Sorry about that!
Old 06-16-2019, 06:08 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1802
Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien Mairien
Is the Inquisitor background going to be orthogonal to the roles in the Church, e.g. can one be a Spearsage and an Inquisitor?

EDIT: Seems worth noting that the use of the Standard Array for attributes creates a very strong temptation to avoid Gavony and somehow force some other origin into the backstory, because it makes 4 of the attribute bonuses guaranteed worthless. :/

Last edited by Mairien; 06-17-2019 at 10:29 AM.
Old 06-16-2019, 07:44 AM
Peacekeeper

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 836
Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn Starspawn
I'm very excited about all of these applications, but I won't be able to get to responding to all of this attention until the weekend! Keep up the good work, though.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:36 PM
I encourage peace

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3436
Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel Jim Faindel
Haven't forgotten about this jewel, just had a really busy week!
Working on a gloomstalker ranger at the moment.
Old 06-19-2019, 02:40 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 2043
Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands Vislands
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mairien View Post
Is the Inquisitor background going to be orthogonal to the roles in the Church, e.g. can one be a Spearsage and an Inquisitor?

EDIT: Seems worth noting that the use of the Standard Array for attributes creates a very strong temptation to avoid Gavony and somehow force some other origin into the backstory, because it makes 4 of the attribute bonuses guaranteed worthless. :/
Yeah this is a great point, especially considering that the other human sub-classes have really powerful traits that you can't make up for with the Gavony well-roundedness with Standard Array.
Old 06-22-2019, 03:49 PM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 152
Oakie Oakie
Character Essentials
right-aligned image

Name: Brother Julian
Race: Human (Kessig)
Class: Monk 3 (Way of the Four Elements)
Alignment: Lawful Good
Background: Hermit
Personality Trait 1: I'm prickly when condescended to by others, especially if I don't think their social or ecclesiastical rank reflects their merit.
Personality Trait 2: My Abbot has something wise to say on every topic, and I am eager to share that wisdom.
Ideal: Insight gained by Oneness with the Font is the only reliable way to resist the encroaching Darkness.
Bond: I must honor and protect the Fontian Order.
Flaw: I harbor dark, bloodthirsty thoughts that my isolation
and meditation failed to quell.

Character BackstoryAfter a howlpack shredded and ate his mother and last surviving brother, Julian Tanner, age 11, took refuge with the Fontian Order, an unsanctioned monastic brotherhood with a fortified farmstead near Lambholt, Kessig.

Fear brought him to the Fontians -- fear for his life and a deep desire protect himself and destroy dark ones. For like some few others in Lower Kessig, Julian knew that the Fontians are powerful fighters when they must be, some able to defeat night terrors even with their bare hands! A few, it is said, can strike with the very Elements!

Through his teens, Julian worked hard on the farm and greedily absorbed the lessons of Abbot Barnabas and the Elder Brothers, Disciplining his Spirit and Body, learning to find Oneness with the Font, the godhead from which all good and order flow. In Fontian theology, Avecyn is an Embodiment of the Font, yet they believe all humans can directly access the Font through Discipline. Some theologians in the Church argue this is a heresy ...

So he learned the brotherhood's Corporeal Disciplines -- of which fighting prowess is a bonus, really -- and their Spiritual Disciplines. Of the former, he was one of the better pupils. But of the latter ... well, he progresses, but still the rage and fear tear at him. Seeing your family torn apart, literally, is not wound easily healed.

To Humble and Quiet his Spirit, Abbot Barnabas ordered Brother Julian on pilgrimage to Thraben, there to witness humanity, and be of service to the poor, and continue Practice. He has been in Thraben nearly a year now, living in an alms house, aiding the priests as an herbalist, more essential now that Healing Prayer is less reliable than in olden days.

Additional InfoProgression: I plan on continuing Brother Julian's straightforward progression as a Way of the Four Elements monk. That is, unless you grand dispensation for him to be a Way of the Sun Soul monk, which would fit into the milieu nicely. :-) As far as roleplay goes, I see his personality and theological beliefs as making his ongoing relationship with the Church complicated.

About Me: I've been playing DnD off and on since 1e. If brought onto the team, this will be my fourth PbP game, a format I've found I dearly love for the way it encourages roleplay.

Last edited by Oakie; 06-22-2019 at 03:51 PM.
Old 06-23-2019, 07:58 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 609
Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab Ahab
All too perfect a setting to roll a warlock! Shall be posting soon.
Old 06-25-2019, 08:59 AM
All Bark & Husky

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 781
DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs DanshiiWithWulfs
Application complete and grateful for any feedback!
right-aligned image
Name: Leif Veiddson

Race: Human (Stensia)

Class: Cleric 3 (Life Domain)

Background: Inquisitor

Personality Trait 1: Despair is an extravagance we can ill afford.

Personality Trait 2: I want to see the wicked burn for the evil they’ve brought on us.

Ideal: Unity. A cord of three strands is not easily broken.

Ideal 2: Humanity. Human life is to be cherished and preserved against the horrors of the night.

Bond: My daughter was taken by vampires. I fear the worst, and dread what I know I must do when I find her.

Flaw: I am troubled by the wild rage and bloodlust that lurks in my own heart.

Appearance: Life in Stensia was never easy, and though the never-ending dusk made his skin pale, Leif bears the marks of years of hard labor harvesting black pine and turning them into usable materials on his scarred hands and body. A bear of a man even when he was young, Leif's white hair does little to diminish the strength implied by his bulk and his gaze. There is much suffering and pain in his eyes, if one would look closely enough, but this old man still clings tightly to the joy of life with the strength of someone about to fall of a cliff. In a place like Stensia, the one thing anyone has left is hope.

When he hunts lycan, he carries heavy armor, a shield almost as large as he is, and a worn but durable hammer; Leif owns little else, these days.

Backstory: Leif hails from the province of Stensia as a wheelwright in some small farm town near the watchtower of Silbern. When darkness fell upon the land, he did his duty and joined in the militias, defending their borders and their women; but one could only do so much to stem the tide of evil that had spilled over the whole province. Vampires and all manner of dark creatures roamed the wild lands and even the travelled roads; nowhere was safe. The town would lose one, maybe two of its inhabitants one night; when it was Leif's young daughter Brynne turn to go missing, the man had had it and decided to join the Church as an inquisitor.

The training and resources from the Order helped Leif purge the surrounding areas of Stilbern of werewolf and vampire alike, but he still did not find his daughter. Eventually he was called to serve elsewhere, and he flung himself into his work; dispensing justice and judgment with an almost manic zeal. He had considerable talent in the healing arts, and more often than not Leif would've preferred to simply tend to the wounded and sick in the parishes he visited; but there was always more vampires to slay, more rumors of werewolves hunting in the woods, and more children disappearing suddenly. The inquisitions turned from monster hunting to mass cleansing soon after. Sometimes he would join his fellows in the execution of their duty with little or no evidence; merely the suspicion of lycantrophy or vampirism was enough. These two aspects of his life - his high regard for the life of his people and his own deep desire to see evil punished - made him question the righteousness of his calling. Leif's intense hatred of evil quelled some of his self-doubt, but a part of him wondered about what he was turning into. His heart still ached for his daughter to be reunited with him, but for some reason he could no longer recall what she looked like...

Mechanical Progression: Fairly straightforward; planning on being in the front lines, protecting mates and bashing werewolf skulls with a hammer, doing some occasional healing when needed. Life thrives when evil is squashed to a pulp!

Additional Info: I am quite new to this site and to RPGs and this format and am currently playing in only one game; my NPSG just recently concluded. Thus, I'm excited to apply for a new one, and I'm really digging the dark vibes in this particular environment! Unfortunately I know little about MtG other than the fact that it's a thriving card game and has tons of cool art.

Last edited by DanshiiWithWulfs; Yesterday at 10:15 PM.
Old Yesterday, 01:06 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 823
KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc KhamLuc
Place holder