Game Thread Act II - Blood and Snow - Page 3 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
Go Back   RPG Crossing > Games > Dungeons & Dragons: 3.5e > Homebrew: E-H > The Empire
twitter facebook
0 5 4 5
... raised for charity!
: +

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:25 AM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5817
DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius
Yuuna had spent the last three days in an empty haze. She still couldn't absorb the fact that such a big part of her life had been so cruelly torn away. Even the funeral couldn't make it real. She had cried all the tears she had in her, and now she was just numb. For a while even the anger was swallowed by the emptiness. She had gone through the motions of arranging the cremation. Genshiro's had always said he hated the idea of rotting in the ground after he died. So she made him a great pyre to send him on his way the night after the murder.

The flames gave off terrible heat, but though the servants shrunk back, she hardly noticed. The heat could not fill the emptiness enough to touch her. She hadn't invited anyone to the funeral. Most of the people he truely cared about had died with him. There were few nobles who were genuine friends, rather than cronies and allies of convenience. Those few would hesitate to come after such violence had been unleashed and the lord murdered in his own home. So it was just her and the remaining servants. She liked it better that way. She didn't have it in her to listen to poor words of comfort and reassurance just then.

She spent the second day going through the motions, supervising the repairs and cleaning of the house. Restoring it to it's proper state. Genshiro's sword never left her hand, and she absently rubbed it every now and then, like a touch-stone. Grief massed outside the emptiness she floated in like a monster waiting to devour her. She hid in the numbness to avoid the emotions that would tear her apart. Then the third day came.

She woke up alone for the third time, the fact a shock to her all over again. The wrongness of it, when the warm and ample form of Genshiro should be lying next to her, was tangible. She went about her usual preparations for the day. Her maid came in and opened the shutters, brought her a simple breakfast of rice, pickled vegetables and miso soup. She ate without appreciating the taste even though the cook Genshiro had hired was outstanding. Her husband had been quite the epicure after all. The girl still called her 'Lady Yuuna' as if nothing had changed. As Yuuna was finishing her meal, the maid came and said "Your bath is ready Lady Yuuna." and something inside of Yuuna suddenly gave way.

She threw the tray, bowls and all. at the wall with a smash and yelled at the poor girl. "Lady Yuuna? How can I be a Lady when my Lord is dead! Get out!" The girl ran from the room in tears. She felt a stab of guilt, but it was quickly overwhelmed. The emptiness was suddenly flooded with grief and incoherant rage. Shock can only last for so long, and now all those emotions were running wild within her. She bathed quickly and perfunctorily and dressed herself. She paced back and forth in the bedroom, her mind racing. She had to do something right then. These feelings would not allow any less. Her mind ran through every option it could, while strained to retain her rational thinking.

She needed to find who had done this to her. It was related to the Whisper, but the Whisper was dead. The remains scattered to the winds, and she had never fit in well there. Few nobles joined the ranks of the unseen, and she had ill related to the professional killers who filled it's ranks. She knew the Emperor would almost certainly know. She felt a mad urge to march right up to the Imperial Palace and demand an audience, but immediately recognised that for the insanity it was. But who else could lead her to those responsible. The murderess had given her nothing to go on. No name, no traces. It was certain that if she was anything like the Whisper, then she might not have anything to lead back to her personally. It was frustrating. She had no idea where to start.

She could use help. She knew a few people she might be able to count on who might have the power to help. One of her best teachers within the Order of the Ineffable Mystery had been an ancient old man with a dry wit named Joukyuu. He was a skilled Shugenja in his own right. His wisdom and power was well respected in the Empire, and he was often consulted by just about anyone seeking answers of any kind, including the high and mighty. Her second thought was that Minister Yan would also be a wonderful starting point. There was a chance that it was a mere coincidence that the attack had begun right after he was rejected by Genshiro and had left, but she didn't believe it. He stood far too much to gain, and she would be damned if she was going to let him swoop in and take over Genshiro's assets.

Those were her choices. She was torn between seeking the advice of a trusted mentor, and descending upon Yan's home in all her fury and razing it to the ground. It was very tempting. A part of her also wanted the simple comfort of someone she knew and trusted, which made visiting Joukyuu an attractive choice. It wasn't like she could see her family after she had burnt her bridges so thorougly. In the end she decided to do both. Joukyuu's home was a sanctum located less than an hour from the capital. Far enough for him to have peace for his studies and contemplation, and close enough for petitioners to come to seek his wisdom. It wasn't far out of her way if she was going to Yan's home.

She called her servants, the terrorised maid sticking her head through the door very timidly, and issued her orders. She had things readied for travelling to visit her old Master, leaving out the part about seeing Minister Yan afterwards. She wanted a horse for herself, and meant to set out alone. Of course it wasn't that simple. The servants wouldn't stand for it. In the end she was forced to allow a couple of burly young men to go along to "carry her things". The fact that they were meant to protect her was obvious and might be laughable were it not for the sentiment that went with it. With most of the guards dead, a couple of able bodied young men was the best they could do. The young maid also ended up tagging along somehow, without Yuuna being quite sure how it happened. The girl had just bustled along packing clothes and things, helping her onto her horse, and then just happened to be dressed for travel and had a another horse ready. Not wanting to waste her time arguing about it, she set off without delay.

OOCI hope this is okay. I'm making up quite a bit here.
Old 07-04-2009, 01:13 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1027
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs
Narishma, Big Sword No.2No.1 and No. 2 are just titles that can be applied to any leader of a Society branch. Every No.1 from the street thugs to the higher ranking generals go by the same name. It's not just to save the wearer's identity, but also used as a title of respect.

The big No.1's, that is the original founding members, have very little if nothing to do with the actual operation and heirarchy of the Society itself. They are seperate, above the system. Whatever squabblings over rank that arise are from the assorted officers and leaders further down the ladder. The Emperor has nothing to do with the Society, save that he knows of their existence and some would say even allows it. The Generals and Nobles that support the Society are mostly hand-picked in his Imperial court, so are very infulential in political matters and have a vast array of resources at their disposal. The stronger a branch is, the more attention it draws to itself, the more the Bosses begin to notice. Good notice brings supplies, recruits, and respect. Bad notice... well, one needn't stretch the imagination.

The man you seek to victimize is named Uie Hakama. Hakama is old, fat, and hasn't seen active duty for nearly ten years. Getting past him will be no problem, so long as your eight agents and fifteen gaurds can stage a successful kidnapping, or, if more inclined, pull off a more covert capture. The target, a young girl by the name of Jade is currently Hakama's first servant. She is more of a handmaiden than the others, and tends to the General's more personal needs. Replacing her will be no problem once Jade is out of the picture, the General has been known to often grow tired of girls.

While your thugs gather at the Maiden, your eight personal disciples eagerly await word from you. Each one is as skilled as any ordinary Big Sword thug, if not more so for the purposes of sensitive, covert operations. For the sake of clarity, we'll refer to them as Disciples 1 - 8. I'll need a little more information about them if you want to me to generate stats for them in the Combat Information thread. I also need to know definitively where you are so I can describe setting and generate encounters. Sorry if I missed cues in your post, but I felt it more necessary to answer your questions.

"What would you have us do, Number Two?"
Old 07-04-2009, 01:28 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs Cheaplaffs
YuunaDespite how time ravages memory, you find Joukyuu's home exactly as you remember it. A modest roof and walls tacked on to the side of a massive oak tree, its branches like titanic arms that reached high into the heavens. The roots could be seen intertwining through the hillside and along the ground in deep trenches large enough for a man to sleep in. Flowers and cherry blossoms were everywhere.

Although Joukyuu lived alone, he would be the first to say that one could never be alone when one is one with the elements. The animals, the grass, the very wind itself can be a constant companion to one who can speak their language. It is in this philosophical air that you find Master Joukyuu, reclining lazily outside of his door on one of the overhanging roots, smoking a long-stemmed pipe to himself. Upon seeing you, a sly smile spreads across his face and he closes his eyes one last time to savour the smoke before climbing down and approaching you, offering a hand to help the lady dismount.

"This morning I could feel you on the wind so vividly, it was as if you had woken me suddenly from a dream." The old master smiles wider, "An old man like me develops a sixth sense for when beautiful former students come to call, you know. You can't suprise me." He pats your hand gently as he releases it. "Or perhaps its just when my favourite comes along."
Old 07-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
GravesFrom the other side of the door you can't hear much but Mio's voice, and outside things are starting to get ugly. The comotion at the tea house has begun to spill down the hillside towards the school, where an angry and vengeful mob has begun to form. Shouts of, "There he is!" "Murderer!", etc.

A commoner may not be able to stand up to your exotic weapons or trained skill, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that eight hundred of them might.

Mio doesn't seem to be the most helpful, either. "I don't trust you," She responds from the other side. "Ask your questions from where you stand!"
Old 07-04-2009, 03:33 PM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5795
Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios
location location locationLet's see. Let us suppose that Hakama's house in on a hillside in the City with the front entrance facing west. It is a middle class neighborhood (Hakama is clearly the richest guy there, which he has chosen purposefully to feel superior to his neighbors) of merchants & business men. Not exactly the normal area for Society operations - at least not as the current No. 1 envisions things. Hakama's building is clearly a noble's mansion, although not a compound. It is built in the style of a keep with thick stone walls for its first two floors, but the wooden paneling for the 3 floors above that belong to the ornate courtier that Hakama has become. It is lavishly decorated with tapestries & trophies from his previous campaigns. The exception to the keep style is that the windows on the second and above floors are real windows with glass and views of the city. The first floor does not have windows, not even arrow slits.

Let us say that the neighborhood is called the Shiane. On the border between the Shiane and the next few blocks over is The Minted Maiden. It has positioned itself to be on the main road between Hakama's house and the area where his guards stay. His guard is comprised of mostly retired Imperial Soldiers, and they quickly assumed dominance over the clientele of the Maiden. It is a three story inn with a huge common room on the ground level with a small kitchen in back. There is a pantry below ground, and it is where Narishma & the Disciples will emerge when they head up. The two floors above are bedrooms. The Maiden is owned by a typical fat, balding innkeeper, but almost all of his employees are young women. The bedrooms are very rarely rented out for longer than an hour, two at max. The innkeep claims not to run a brothel because his servers are not obligated to go up with anybody, but no servant ever declines twice, and no Soldier is ever declined. The Maiden maintains a rather large staff of 16 girls, although only about 8 are at the tavern at any given time, and they help in the kitchen as well as upstairs. The whole operation is not approved by the Society and the innkeeper considers himself an independent operator, and relies on the Soldiers to keep him safe from any extortion or pressure from the Society.

The AgentsSeeing as how Disciples is already the name of a group in Combat info, I think Agents might be a better distinguished name for all of us.

This is handpicked group of thugs that Narishma intends to use as her elites. The largest difference is in their ranged capacity - the Disciples are primarily ranged fighters, and they disdain the musket. The musket is a slow and clumsy weapon that takes a long time to reload. Instead they prefer powerful curved Composite Longbows and can each fire several bowshots in the time it takes for a musketeer to get off one shot and reload.

I would like for them to be 6th level fighters (CR 6), with their feats optimized for ranged combat (Precise Shot, Point Blank Shot, Rapid Shot, Weapon Focus - Longbow, Weapon Spec - Longbow). At this point they don't have any better armor than a normal thug (part of the purpose of this operation will be to get them the armor the soldiers wear), although their Dex is higher (so probably a +3/+4 on ranged & a +3/+4 to AC instead of the +2 of the other thugs). When it comes to hand to hand they are nothing special compared to the normal thugs. I would like if they had somwhat higher HP than normal thugs, since I want them to be an elite, but that isn't necessary. In terms of skills they would have focused on Climb, Intimidate & Jump from the Fighter list, and crossclassed in Rope Use, Move Silently & Open Lock.

If you want, I can go ahead and make the post in the Combat Info section for them. And if you have any problems you can tell me to edit them & nerf them, or beef them up.

The Big Sword SocietyI am envisioning a breakdown below the bosses of everybody province having its own branch of the society, as well as every major city. This would mean that there is a Capital Province Society & the Capital City Society (this is the one Narishma is a part of). The provincial branches tend to be less noticed, but the Capital Province is currently being led by someone who wants to change that (you described that in your first post). If that is okay with you, that is how I'd like to proceed, if not then change it to what you had in mind & I'll adapt.

Sorry for all the stuff above, but it's how I think & I like to ask questions and fix things in my mind.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Narishma smiled at her agents as she emerged from the tunnels in the catacombs to the space underneath the pantry of The Minted Maiden. She opened her arms in a wide gesture of welcome to all of the eight women present. Welcome my friends, I'm so glad to see all of you could make it. Now, I want to review the plan for this operation one last time before we go up to begin organizing the thugs. But first I have something special I want to give you.

The previous day Narishma had brought over her Disguise kit in its chest, which was fairly substantial. She had placed the chest in the corner of this opening in the catacombs. Now she dragged it over to the center, and placed her bag on it. She gestured for her agents to gather around. Opening the bag she revealed the twelve tin pins inside. Narishma handed them out one by one to the agents, starting from the physically closest heading out, as none had reached her special personal favor yet. When all eight had received their pins and put them on some area of clothe near their necks, Narishma stood up, leaving the bag open on the chest revealing the four extra pins.

These pins mark you out as special, an elite formed within the Society. When the time comes and you begin to see others wearing those pins, know that they are allies in our struggles. That business completed, Narishma pulled out a rough map of Hakama's compound on a sheet of paper.

The map showed the massive front door, now normally guarded by a full squad of 8 soldiers, and a small back door off of an alley that was protected by only 2 soldiers. It was the servants' entry and very few other than servants even knew of it. Any other soldiers on duty would be stationed at varying points in the compound, or on patrol on the ground floor. They only had a vague plan of what the inside of the building was like, as their recon had been performed while a few of the agents were pretending to approach the people for jobs. The front door opened onto a huge entrance hallway with a massive set of steps at the other end leading up to the third floor (the second floor was a servant working area, Hakama only rarely went down there). The first floor was a warren of supply rooms, including a supply of gunpowder for the guards and their muskets. The second floor was where the servants spent most of their time, organizing and cooking for their master. The third floor contained Hakama's meeting rooms and a large dining hall where he could hold banquets. The fourth floor was his bedroom as well as the few small chambers radiating off of it where his personal servants (including Jade) slept. The fifth floor was his study & reading room where he retreated when he didn't want to be near anybody. Apart from those uses however, the Society had been unable to recover the actual plans for hallways in the mansion.

Alright, women, let's review. The thugs and most of you will be a diversionary attack on the front door, the sort of spectacular show that No. 1 thinks is what we're after & is his normal approach to things. Meanwhile, Sari & Jera will accompany me on a strike to the back door. Our mission will be to get in the back door, at which point Sari & Jena will begin to raid the storage areas. We're looking for the gunpowder they keep on site, as we'll be using it to cover our tracks out. I will head upstairs and try to track down Jade and extract her as quietly as possible. On my way out I will pass the word for Sari & Jena to begin our retreat demonstration. They will have spent the time spreading the gunpowder throughout the first floor & second if they have time and will use it to start a fire. When the 6 of you start hearing those explosions, that will be the signal to begin withdrawing with whatever thugs survive & however much treasure you can safely get out. Bear in mind that "safely" part, your lives will be more important than any treasure you can get out, so don't risk yourselves for a trinket. Sari & Jena will undoubtedly find some kind of a treasury or coin horde on the first floor as well that they can loot. But we're mainly here for the person Jade, not the object Jade. Any jade or gold or jewels you can loot is purely a bonus to you, although if the thugs get loose enough to fight for it, then we'll take our proper cut as the commanders. Here Narishma smiled wickedly at her agents, she knew they would not risk the mission over money, but greed was a large part of any illegal operation, so she knew that plenty would be looted out as well. She also trusted her agents to keep themselves safe, she would need them later.

The attack will go like this - we move in at dusk. We're starting at the Maiden because it will help us come by a few of their uniforms & armor, which we can use as part of a ruse. You, Massa, will pose as a provincial relative just arrived in town. Here Narishma pointed at the one who was easily the prettiest of all of them. A provincial relative ruse would avoid suspicion about a large cart with belongings & also armed retainers. However many uniforms we can get will belong to guards Hakama sent to fetch you at the city limits. The rest of the thugs & the agents will pose as servants & your retainers or hide among the belongings. When we go up we will get find some smoke bombs for you to use as emergent cover when you begin the attack. Begin at the moment you think best, I'm placing Treya here in charge of that decision so that Massa can concentrate on the ruse. Then fall on the guards at the doors, try to get inside as quickly as possible so that Hakama's people can't bar the doors.

Narishma gestured at her Tamasol who had stayed at the edge of the room until now. Neena padded up to her now, and sat down on its haunches. You will have Neena with you, posing as a statue in a cart that you are bringing as a gift for Hakama. When the smoke bombs go off it will spring into action. I will place it under orders to help protect you and to fight Hakama's guards. Be merciless & kill freely, be as flashy as you dare. Only do NOT kill Hakama, our plan relies upon his staying alive. Narishma turned to Neena and whispered to the Tamasol the instructions it was to follow in the Southern Dialect she had programmed into it: Go with Massa with cart. Then pretend to be a statue until the smoke comes. Then kill Hakama's guards. Do not fight Uie Hakama.

Now she turned back to her agents, and asked two questions in the common they all spoke: Any of you speak the Southern Dialect? Now, any last questions? This was the plan that they had already worked out, but it was important enough that they all get it right that Narishma felt it was important to go over it once more before action time.

OOC: Neena's stats are in Nyrva Narishma's character sheet: 77 HP, AC 19, DR 5/adamantine, CR 8, Large Creature, etc. If you want I can include Neena's actions in the fight in my posting (this would also be a way for me to keep track of the way the fight goes, although I won't be able to give orders). Neena is, I believe, probably the absolutely most powerful Tamasol I could have possible constructed, so you don't need to worry about me creating one more powerful any time soon. Also, since they take time to create, I probably won't be creating many more.

Last edited by Adorios; 07-04-2009 at 03:39 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 03:44 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quick answer for Narishma..Level six is a little high for me, especially since there's eight of them. If it makes the same difference to you, you can treat each of your disciples in combat identically to the stats for Smile Bandit I've included in the Combat Thread.

The Smile Bandit template is already tougher and a little faster than light Imperial soldiers and even Greater Sword Thugs, and have some decent combat stats and many of the skills you mentioned. As part of the Big Sword Society, they would also have ranks in skills available to Thugs such as Disable Device and anything not already mentioned. I'll give them a +4 to such skills. If that's not acceptable, let me know.

Regarding the Society itself, you've grasped it firmly. We'll assume that this secondary party, or Provincial Branch, is run by No. 1's jealous and aspiring brother.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:04 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
No. 2"No, Number Two. You were quite clear." They answer together, through collective speech. The eight disciples are eager and fresh, skilled at what they do but wet behind the ears. Unlike the usual rank-and-file thug who was months before making their way as a mugger or mercenary. They would do their job, though. Like a needle through fabric your deception would begin to come together.

Dawn is fast approaching. The squadron at Hakama's manor is scheduled to shift duty soon, its best to spring your attack while the soldiers are unsuspecting.

To review the operation, the eight of them form sort of a huttle and go over what must happen in sequence.

"One. First, the detatchment of thugs and Disciples launch a diversionary raid while No. 2 and the others strike back door, preparing second floor to explode."

"Two. Once the squadron is smashed, Hakama is not to be harmed. Loot and take with you only what will convince No. 1 that this was an ordinary raid. Once No. 2 has secured hostage, commence retreat demolition."

"Three. Once demolition has begun, withdraw safely and take no risk."

"Ready, Number two!"

OocAny thugs, goons, or constructs will be considered summons in battle. They will fill that slot in the initiative order and you still have to take actions for them in combat, but otherwise I will roleplay them as much as you like for you.

Last edited by Cheaplaffs; 07-04-2009 at 04:06 PM.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:46 PM
Dreaded blue eye-square!

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5795
Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios Adorios
Agents & SocietyThe Smile Bandit is fine by me, although I would still like it if they could get two shots with a longbow instead of one with a musket. That would probably put them at CR 5 to the Bandits CR 4, but seeing as how thugs are already CR 5, I don't see how that is an issue.

I love it! Sibling rivalry here we come!

As for the combat, Neena gets a +6 to initiative if you are going to factor that in (considering that there will be no PCs involved in that combat. For RP purposes though, is it alright if I take one of the girls to make as my "center" as commander of the attack? I would treat her as almost as I would Narishma in terms of PC activity, although I wouldn't develop her character beyond being an opportunistic wet behind the ears noob commander. She can direct the others & Neena, while you do the RP for them. Sari & Jena I will leave on their own.

Narishma smiled at their eagerness, truthfully she knew that she was not much older in terms of history with the Society than they were, and many of them had actually joined before her. But they were hers through and through, and she was the boss. Very good my agents, now let's move out. Pointing at two of them she said: You two will go out and gather the thugs in the back alley to wait for further instructions. They will know your pins and know to obey you. Next her finger speared Sari & Jena & two others You four, go find us a cart that we can fit many of us into. Confiscate the largest you can find from someone you can easily intimidate into giving it to you. Or steal one, whichever presents with the first opportunity. Next Massa & Treya, You two come with me, we are going to have a chat with the innkeeper.

Gesturing for Neena to follow her, she said: Now let's MOVE! and swarmed up the stairs into the pantry of the kitchen of The Minted Maiden. She led the way up to the kitchen, where she emerged holding her spear as the weapon it so obviously was. She looked around for the innkeeper but since she didn't see him sent one of the servants out to the front to fetch him, Quietly, you gibbering fool! As her women boiled up behind her, she directed them out the back door to go to their work. It was important that none of them go out the front, as they were trying to avoid, for the moment, attention of the patrons.
Old 07-04-2009, 10:49 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5817
DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius DiabolicalGenius
The journey from the Ryoshin house to Joukyuu's sanctuary had taken much of the day, and it was approaching evening. Not a great distance for travelling through the Empire, though it had still left her tired. Nonetheless, she still felt her heart jump at the view of her old mentor's unique home. Familiar as it was, it never failed to impress, especially as it was the time of year for the Sakura to be blooming, and the petals scattering on the breeze. She had to choke back a stab of grief as she realised that she had never brought Genshiro here to see this. He never would now. Struggling to keep control, she and her people approached the dwelling to be met by Joukyuu.

She took his hand as she slipped off her horse, and very nearly tried to keep hold as he released hers. She tried to keep some composure, in spite of her battered emotions, and returned his warm smile with the best she could manage. Which under the circumstances looked ill in place. A forced expression over a mask of grief. Finally standing in front of someone she knew and trusted, someone who welcomed her happily and without question, she came close to giving in to the urge to just let go and fall sobbing into his arms. But she held on for a little longer. She gave a short, repectful bow, as was proper for one who had taught her everything about the elements that counted, and who she aspired to above all others.

She spoke with a taut and pained tone. "I-it is good to see you again Master. You have been well I trust?" She lapsed into formal platitudes for a moment, her time running the Ryoshin house having ingrained a need for propriety into her. Forcing herself to get to the point she made her voice as firm as she could. "I am in sore need of your wisdom right now Master, may the spirits help me. It was more than the wind that brought me here today. May I speak with you? Alone?" She glanced at her people, indicating they were to stay where they were. "I would really like a cup of your green tea right now," The things she said were of little moment, but the pain in her voice and in her eyes could be read easily by one who had known her as long as he had. Her eyes pleaded with him to understand.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:15 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Quick answer for Narishma..I'm glad you find that acceptable. If you would rather them carry a longbow over a musket, you're more than welcome. Their attack bonuses are all included in that template, so you can apply whatever weapon damage you'd like.

As for the center character, you wouldn't be the first person in this game to request control over an NPC. If you'd like you can play as this secondary character as well, so long as it doesn't slow down play too much.

Updates to come.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:48 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
No. 2The disciples need very little verbal confirmation from you, and know exactly what to wait for, what to watch for, for technical cues. One by one the respective disciples go about their work with the upmost discretion. The two remaining to accompany you stick close behind, saying nothing as you direct the servant to fetch the Innkeeper.

When the man comes through the double kitchen doors, it appears he has already prepared an oral salvo to unleash against his ordinary servants and cooks, but is suprised when he finds three armed and dangerous looking women. "Can I... help you, ladies?"

YuunaThe Old Master's normally smile-drawn expression suddenly becomes very down and there is a weight in his eyes that was not there before once he gets a good look at you. Without you having to speak a word it is as if Joukyuu already knows what you're about to tell him.

"My child..." He breathes in sympathy, placing a strong and supportive hand on your shoulder. "Of course, of course..."

Inside the Master's home is very spatious despite its cramped, quaint appearance outside. The interior is carved out of the trunk of the tree itself, and its space spirals almost the entire length upwards. He offers you a seat at the table in the center of the first floor, where already there is a pot boiling sweet-smelling green tea leaves. As you sit down, his beady eyes fall on the sword at your side and his bushy eyebrows narrow and lower, his face becoming tense.

Making sure your cup is full before sitting down, Joukyuu takes the space across from you, crossing his legs and pouring his tea in a fluid upward arc with one hand, the other paralell to his chest in a frozen karate chop. Taking the pipe out of his mouth, the old man takes closes his eyes, then exhales into the air above you, hanging like inscense.

"I sense you carry with you a terrible pain..." Were his first words, almost choking over them. "Though I am glad to see you... I know this is not a joyous occasion. Tell me... what troubles you so? Where is your husband, Genshiro? I did not see him amoung those in your routine."

The statement was more like a verbal cue than a question itself. Like the old mentor already knew what you were going to say, but just wanted to hear it so he could read your face. Its something he's done since you were only a child learning about the grass and the wind.
Old 07-05-2009, 12:55 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
HoshikoBy now an amateur sleuth would have been able to find a place to hide themselves. In this time, a ninja with your kind of ability would not allow a threat to come to her. That's not the way you win battles, and to survive you know now is not the time to start.

From your hiding spot you can hear what's been going on outside rather clearly. If you wanted, you could slip through one of the upper windows and dissapear into the trees. On the other hand, you could use the comotion to your advantage and recon the area.

Mio can keep Graves busy at the door to buy you enough time to do as you wish.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:28 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 276
Alera224 Alera224 Alera224
Hoshiko noted that the town seemed to be rather stirred up about this visitor. Apparently he'd been killing a lot of people. That combined with the sound of his horribly slurred Japanese had not fallen well with the Ninja. Something would have to be done to teach the gaijin some manners, and morals. Untying the makeshift mask she had made for if he busted in, Hoshiko moved around back and after a quick glance outside to make certain that no one was looking, she exited the building. Then, she turned, walking around the building and up to the edge, allowing her to once again be able to hear the gaijin and see him even if she looked around the corner. Hopefully, the man would decide to leave town, and Blood Lotus would visit him tonight.
Old 07-05-2009, 01:30 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 353
Sporatik Sporatik Sporatik Sporatik
Bishop spit on the floorboards of the porch and cursed under his breath as he noticed the angry mob forming. No matter, he knew he wouldn't be here much longer anyway. Ignoring the school teacher's attempt to delay the situation, the bounty hunter drew his pistol and fired a pair of rounds into the door, blowing two fist sized holes in the reinforced wood. Structurally weakened, the door was no match for the bounty hunter's boot as Bishop took a step back and kicked the door in, smashing the lock and deadbolt to pieces.

Wating no time to slip inside, the bounty hunter drew both of his pistols and slammed what was left of the door as he passed over the threshold, taking a moment to scan the room before turning his attention to the school teacher.

"Tell me where I can find Fandu," Bishop commanded, "Answer and I walk away."

The bounty hunter leveled he weapons and the woman, the light from the window illumunating his face and revealing the band of dirtied cloth that covered his left eye.
Old 07-05-2009, 05:11 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Hoshiko and GravesMio lets out a short scream as the gunshots rang out, the door giving way to freshly created rays of sunlight before finally giving way entirely to the stranger behind it. Not intimidated by his demands, the young woman's face becomes very tense and she seems to dig her feet into the ground, taking up a defensive formation, prepared to defend her school with her limited martial arts ability.

Perhaps it was the sudden glimpse of the man's missing eye, but as soon as the foriegner dropped Fandu's name again something clicked and her eyes became wide. "Shadow..." She whispered, almost accusingly. The reaction on Graves' face at hearing the name of his nemesis is enough to give him away entirely, and Mio takes a step back, something like betrayal on her face. All this suffering... happening all over again...

"You're looking for him... aren't you?" She gasps, then pauses, letting out a short burst of mixed emotions that sounded a little like a scream or laughter. "All this time... the bastard was right..."

Still standing her ground, Mio did not look to be in a helpful mood. "Master Fandu is dead. And even if he knew where the Shadow is hiding... he would never betray that information, especially if it would mean helping murdering foriegn scum like you." The last bit in a snarl, clearly hostile. Graves doesn't have much time before the mob is upon him. Time to think fast.

In Hoshiko's point of view, though, this could be advantageous. Now that its been established that you're after the same person, perhaps there's a way she could use this bounty hunter to her advantage. Maintaining anonymity while Graves does all the sleuthing.

Then again, thinking more in short terms, on the other hand, he does have his back turned..
Closed Thread