Game Thread Part I: To Domkol - Page 2 - RPG Crossing
RPG Crossing Home Forums Create An Account! Site Rules & Help

RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
  #16  
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 01:11 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 13774
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,838
The Teapot Shop
right-aligned image
The young red head human girl behind the counter gives an exasperated sigh before commenting. "Since it seems none of you are interested in BUYING anything on the shelves, I've got a proposition for you. Something you may be interested in purchasing...information."

"You want Geahr, and I know where he is...two gold pieces and I'll even take you there myself."


The young woman had learned a thing or three not only from her dwarven mentor but also her father on how to optimize most any interaction. She practically beamed with pride in herself.




The outskirts of Domkol As Berry and Huern peered through the fields at the small village of Domkol and wondered what the best way to glean whether the priestess was there or not, a blood curdling scream sounded out from a small farm house just through the rye stalks.

Would the good-natured pair ignore a cry for help or stay focused on their mission?
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
  #17  
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 01:34 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
Amy found herself warming up to this apprentice. Araceli had a playful, yet dedicated attitude. She projected confidence, without being arrogant or disrespectful. Amy had a similar philosophy. Even the most steadfast servant of good should be able to laugh. Plus, the mention of errands at the temple sparked a memory. Amy vaguely recalled seeing Araceli (or rather, a distant figure that fit her description) visiting the temple a few times. After a brief pause to think, Amy relented.

"...I suppose there's no harm in you accompanying us for a while. But unless you can provide some actual proof, we might have to abandon you once the mission really starts."

Then the shop assistant spoke up. She displayed the kind of confidence that Amy didn't like: The kind that shamelessly tried to turn a profit from every situation. The paladin leaned to whisper in her priestess' ear.

"I'd recommend against paying that bribe. If this woman's attitude is inherited from her employer, then we might well have to pay him too. Best to save our money for that instead."
  #18  
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Andor's Avatar
Andor Andor is offline
Duke of Chanwood
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1869
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Posts: 1,325
left-aligned image
As Berry consulted with the half-elven druid about a plan to avoid unwanted attention or trouble, a horrible scream echoed across the fields. Turning his head sharply at the sound, he immediately dropped thoughts of sneaking around. "That scream sounded like it came from that farmhouse," said the halfling, pointing to identify where he thought the scream originated from, "come on!"

Moving quickly through the rye fields, with a quick glance back to make sure the druid was following, Berry ran as fast as his short legs would take him. He unslung his bow as he ran, relying on his innate sense of direction to guide him through the tall flora toward the potential danger. That could also be the ones we're supposed to meet, he noted, though it made little difference to him. If it wasn't, the priestess and paladin would have to wait...he was a ranger first, errand boy second.

 
__________________

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive
  #19  
Old Feb 11th, 2018, 07:09 PM
Landsknechts's Avatar
Landsknechts Landsknechts is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 14th, 2018
RPXP: 902
Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts
Posts: 1,561
The shop of a dwarven teapot maker
left-aligned image
Tahira
Tahira turns to the Knight and says, "For each of the Seven Heavenly Virtues there is a SIN. Greed will always rear it's ugly head." She then turns to the clerk and cocking her head stares at her for a few seconds before continuing, "But then there's a bit of greed and a lot of greed. Standard wages are 2 silver shekels a day. I sincerely doubt that taking us to your master, something you should be doing in any event without payment, is actually worth 10 days wages. So, 2 shekels for what is probably not more than a few minutes of your time is more than fair compensation."


OOC
 


 


 

  #20  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Maskain's Avatar
Maskain Maskain is offline
It's probably a joke.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 4356
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
Posts: 1,392
Huern Haive Amiliya'goule
right-aligned image

"I can do some number of bird calls, though I hope you don't mind if some birds come looking when I do." he replied, drafting a proper call to use in his mind. Perhaps a bird of low decibel... wouldn't want someone finding it too shrill... maybe a Dulcimer Blue.

As he decided, something else let out a signal, a terrible scream! Slumped a bit in thought, Huern's head shot up and his eyes turned to Berry. He had proven rather attuned in their trip up to Domkol, likely more keen on the intonation of a scream; where it had come from.

Proven right as the halfling began leading them to a farmhouse, in the same state of mind as his own, Huern could only apologize to the others they were to meet. Though, if they were the right people, perhaps they too would also rush to the aid of a scream.

"Right! Let's go." the half-elf acknowledged, his voice quavering not much for fear, but nerves cracking. So long had it been since he ran to the aid of someone without the Archdruid beside. The rye was difficult to see through, but in it, Huern pulled the base of his gnarled walking stick from the ground and jogged beside his new, swift guide.
  #21  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 11:54 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 13774
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,838
The Home of Geahr Irongut
right-aligned image
Anya knew not to do anything for free and she also knew when she had been offered all she was getting. "Deal. Come on!"

The young red head shuffles the trio out of the shop and locks the door behind her before briskly walking down the lane. The house they shortly approached was not much to look at. Bowed walls and a sunken roof showed a lack of care which was quite different than the shop they had just left. Noticing the door was ajar, Anya gave a quizzical look and said quietly, "Odd."

Upon entering the structure, it was obvious that something terrible had happened. The furniture was smashed to bits and scattered about and there were smoldering embers from the cooking fire that had spilled out of the hearth. Lying against the wall with a knife still protruding from his gut was an older dwarven man with his spectacles still pushed up onto his forehead.

Anya let out a shriek and ran over to the deceased form of her mentor. Pulling the dagger free from his chest, she exclaimed, "I know this dagger. Why would they do this?"

right-aligned image
Suddenly the door to the house slammed shut behind the group and a vial of liquid tossed through the window burst on the floor. Closely behind the vial came a burning torch which caught the contents of the vial on fire quickly engulfing the floor of the structure. A voice from outside called to those within, "Hope you don't take it too personally, Anya. If you'd have just accepted by offer, it just would have been the dwarf careless with a lantern in his home. Now it looks like you're a goner too. And don't worry, 'A' has something lined up for your old man as well!"

A grim look came over the young girl and before anyone could try to escape via the window, she says, "All that window will give you is a crossbow bolt out of your head."

She moved over to a wardrobe against the back wall. Pushing aside heavy leather aprons, she found a catch which released the back wall. Throwing it on the floor she stepped inside and beckoned you to follow. "Hopefully they don't know about this, come on."

A short, narrow tunnel had been dug out of the hillside.
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by tomplum; Feb 12th, 2018 at 11:55 AM.
  #22  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 12:05 PM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 13774
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,838
A farmhouse outside of Domkol Berry and Huern raced to the farmhouse where the cry had come from, their latent heroic tendencies taking over. Approaching the domicile, they could hear three distinct voices arguing over a cache of money.

"Yer gonna hand it over or I'll gut you and tear this place apart to find it!"

"Yeah, gut ya he will."

"There's no gold here! I'm just a simple farmer. How much money do you think I make selling rye to the distillery?!"

The third voice was feminine and had a strange accent.

"You know what I'm after. Yer husbands been smuggling goods out of the city to avoid paying the taxes. That money was supposed to go to the guild. Last chance...where is it?!"

Rounding the house, the ranger and druid see two ruffians accosting a short stocky, and kind of hairy woman. A dwarf!

ooc Berry and Huern, you gain a surprise round and may act first. Also, please roll initiative for next round.
__________________
I have taken the Oath.
  #23  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 12:21 PM
Andor's Avatar
Andor Andor is offline
Duke of Chanwood
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 20th, 2021
RPXP: 1869
Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor Andor
Posts: 1,325
left-aligned image
As Berry's eyes narrowed as he came upon the scene. It looked ugly, either way...if the dwarf was indeed tangled with a disreputable guild...no bonus points for guessing which one...the cautious thing to do would be to not get involved. On the other hand, many people had dealings with such a guild out of a simple need to survive.Either way, Berry wasn't fond of the thugs' methods, and wasn't about to stand by and do nothing.

Picking the one threatening to gut the dwarven woman, since the second seemed more of a lackey, Berry paused long enough to sight his bow, smoothly draw an arrow, and
Dice Attack:
d20+5 (20)+5 Total = 25
d6+3 (3)+3 Total = 6
fire. Scoring a
Dice Critical Hit:
d6 1
solid hit, Berry immediately drew another arrow, calling out to the guildmen, "This is your only warning. Leave, and do not return!"

Dice Initiative:
d20+3 (18)+3 Total = 21

 
__________________

Luinil Alqualond - Wood Elf Ranger, Desert of Desolation
Berilac "Berry" Fairbairn - Halfling Ranger, Priestess
Morgran Ungart - Mountain Dwarf Fighter, Dungeon Dive

Last edited by Andor; Feb 12th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
  #24  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 02:14 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
Amy followed the shopkeeper to her employer's home. The information they sought most likely wouldn't be free. Amy braced herself for a round of selfish negotiations. As it turned out, she was completely wrong. Her eyes widened when she saw the poor dwarf's body. A murder, so close to holy ground?! Unforgivable! She rushed forward along with Anya, to examine the body. There was a slim chance that her divine healing could still help. But alas, he was already beyond the veil. Amy drew her halberd. If the murderer tried to execute her too, then retribution would be swift.

Unfortunately, the criminals were smarter than that. Instead of honourable combat, they favoured arson. Before Amy could react, she found herself locked in a burning building. No! Her first mission would not end in the first half hour, at the hands of petty thugs! She rushed towards the window; Only to be warned away from it. Okay, then she'd just break down the door! She'd made it a few steps towards that when the tunnel opened. Augh, fine! Fleeing the enemy instead of fighting felt horrible. But Tahira's safety was Amy's first priority. Vengeance could wait. She ushered the priestess and apprentice towards the escape route.

"Go, quickly! I'll be right behind you!"

Only when they'd entered would she follow. Anyone foolish enough to pursue would find a very angry rearguard awaiting them.

 

Last edited by Kaiya; Feb 12th, 2018 at 02:15 PM.
  #25  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 07:09 PM
cookieyummy's Avatar
cookieyummy cookieyummy is offline
Queen of Pastries
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 21st, 2021
RPXP: 1639
cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy cookieyummy
Posts: 748
Araceli Naeva Hazesun"That is totally fine. I just want to do what I was send to do. I will help in whatever way I can, I promise." Araceli bows again with a thankful smile on her face. She would have felt really bad if had to go back to Master Kamaex without completing her task and if someone needs aid she loved to help out.With a little jump in her step she follows the three women to the dwarf's home.

Once she sees the dwarven corpse the young girl stops dead in her tracks and her face goes white as a wall. She has never seen a dead person before and as much as she wants to she can't stop starring at the old dwarf's empty eyes, the image burning itself into her mind. The small mage barely hears the voices of people talking or the slamming of a door.

Suddenly the smell of burning wood hits her nose and she feels the heat of open flames on her back but she is still completly paralyzed until a hand on her back shackes her out of it. Still in shock Araceli clutches her spell book to her chest as she stumbles towards the tunnle.
  #26  
Old Feb 12th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Landsknechts's Avatar
Landsknechts Landsknechts is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 14th, 2018
RPXP: 902
Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts
Posts: 1,561
Escaping an Inferno
left-aligned image
Tahira
Tahira hears her protector tell her to go. But she felt she had one thing left to do before fleeing. Kneeling over the body of the slain dwarf she made a benediction with her hand as she spoke in Celestial," May you find peace with your honored ancestors.אולי תמצא שלום עם אבותיך הנכבדים."

Having done what little she could Tahira entered the tunnel and followed Anya.

She thought to herself, Whatever wisdom Gaehr could have imparted is lost forever. The poor man.


OOC
 


 


 


Last edited by Landsknechts; Feb 12th, 2018 at 10:20 PM.
  #27  
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 11:42 AM
tomplum's Avatar
tomplum tomplum is offline
Community Supporter
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 13774
tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum tomplum
Posts: 8,838
A tunnel to freedom?
right-aligned image
As the group followed Anya through the tunnel, the girl stopped for only a moment to light a torch that had been placed in the passage.

"That old bastard had been smuggling goods out of this tunnel so he didn't have to report the sales to the King or the guild. Seems like they found out he was fudging the books."

Shortly the dwarf-made portion of the passage ended as it spilled out into a small natural cavern. A small stream ran down the center of the cave which Anya proceeded to follow. "This leads to the river outside of the city."

Just as a speck of sunlight can be seen from the end of the cave, Anya stops suddenly and turns round on the trio following her. "Now I just went and save your lives so the way I see it, you owe me one. While I'm no knight or priestess or wizard, I'm no helpless little lass either. With Geahr gone and his house burned to the ground, they'll ransack his shop next and once they're done with that they'll be heading for his wife. I can't let that happen, can you?"

The girl looks pleadingly from Amy, to Tahira, to Araceli. "Can you?"
__________________
I have taken the Oath.

Last edited by tomplum; Feb 13th, 2018 at 03:28 PM.
  #28  
Old Feb 13th, 2018, 02:59 PM
Kaiya Kaiya is offline
Very Old Dragon
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Nov 2nd, 2020
RPXP: 602
Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya Kaiya
Posts: 680
Amy answered immediately.

"Of course I can't let that happen."

She drew herself to her full height. Her polished armour and weapon gleamed in the torchlight. This was the kind of call she'd been born to answer. A desperate civilian was being accosted by ruthless criminals. In the stories, a heroic knight always came to the rescue. The time had finally come for Amy to be that knight. She looked back at the priestess and apprentice, with eyes that shone with righteous zeal.

"I'm sure you understand my feelings here. Justice demands that I go help that woman. Neither of you should feel any obligation to come with me. You're free to await my return here. But if I were to refuse this request, I wouldn't be worthy to call myself a knight."
  #29  
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 01:16 AM
Landsknechts's Avatar
Landsknechts Landsknechts is offline
Great Wyrm
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jul 14th, 2018
RPXP: 902
Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts Landsknechts
Posts: 1,561
Justia?
left-aligned image
Tahira
Tahira half smiles at her knight. "Neither the code of chivalry nor the Seven Heavenly Virtues mention Justia. Justice is for kings and gods, not the rest of us. I believe the word you were looking for is Caritas which includes self-sacrifice for your fellow man. So, lead us to your master's house. We are all bound by our conscious or our honour, as some may put it. "


OOC
 


 


 


Last edited by Landsknechts; Feb 14th, 2018 at 01:17 AM.
  #30  
Old Feb 14th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Maskain's Avatar
Maskain Maskain is offline
It's probably a joke.
 
Tools
User Statistics
Last Visit: Jan 22nd, 2021
RPXP: 4356
Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain Maskain
Posts: 1,392
Huern Haive Amiliya'goule
right-aligned image

The dispute went over Huern's head, he'd have to admit. Something about a guild and a tax and... it didn't really matter... a noble person of the land was in trouble. Someone who sowed rye, tended to it and gave it to the people; they were not bad.

An arrow to the ruffian was a bit much though. Grey eyes flashed over at the Fox - or presumptive Fox at least, Huern having not checked yet. He did check though, that as the arrow sunk in deep, a weapon under-hand and prepared by the aggressor-turned-target was inched towards. This conflict would turn sour in moments.

Huern's hand slid along his walking stick, a piece of the Yaara Minas, the tree all druid staves came from. As it slid along, Druidic sigils scribed in the bark lit, curling leaves sprouting on the end and sap dripping now, from a pooling reservoir at the top, under the ivy-like leaves. A short blessing of nature that allowed his druidry to bloom in a physical form.

Pulling back the brush, Huern moved forward to the thug's back and went to club their head, sap trailing behind and marring the groundwork. His stave was better used as a large writing implement, but the natural magics within could leave a heavy welt. Any druid that trained in the valley knew that.


OOCInitiative: 10
Standard: Quarterstaff vs Ruffian (ATK 15 | DMG 7; Non-Lethal)
Bonus: Shillelagh cantrip
Movement: Run behind arrow-ed Ruffian

 


Last edited by Maskain; Feb 19th, 2018 at 05:12 AM.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:35 AM.
Skin by Birched, making use of original art by paiute.( 2009-2012)


RPG Crossing, Copyright ©2003 - 2021, RPG Crossing Inc; powered by vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd. Template-Modifications by TMB