twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 07:00 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 8210
Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer Lazer
Thanks Saratek! Ha, those Mando troops were so ungrateful!
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 11:02 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1575
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
hafrogman - nice app, I did notice one thing that looks like a mistake. In your background, in the second paragraph, you have written that she never kept striding for perfection. I may be wrong, but I think you meant she never stopped striving for perfection.

Thought I would mention it just in case. As is it sounds like she just quit.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 09:28 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1575
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
My app is completed
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 04:01 PM
Good girl by day.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14006
girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay girlplay
Hi. Where is the best source of information on the culture and creed of Mandalorians. I feel like I need to do some research on that.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 04:21 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 376
Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen Kaigen
I've been referencing the Culture section of the Mandalorian article on Wookieepedia, just to get an overview. I'm taking nothing for granted without hearing from Lazer, though, since so many different hands have been at work in that lore over the years.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 06:16 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
Yes, Wookieepedia is always good. I actually know very little about their culture other than what I’ve seen on the Mandalorian tv series (which features one of those never-take-off-their-armor extremists) and what I’ve read in various articles and websites. And, in fact, I had only read the canon version of the Wookieepedia page, so looking at the Legends version gives a lot more background (thanks Kaigan)!

For the purposes of roleplay we just need to remember that they’re a warrior culture which values honour and tradition. And maybe throw in a mando’a phrase every now and then, just for flavour. Oya manda!

Last edited by Lazer; Feb 20th, 2021 at 06:17 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 07:03 PM
Not a Doctor

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 14197
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
I actually got a lot of my inspiration from the old PC game "Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic 2" because they had a whole section on Mandalore during that period of time. They spoke a lot on the beliefs and history of Mandalore, and, as far as I know, is/was based on canon sources.

I also used Wookiepedia and have watched the series, of course.

Last edited by Saratek; Feb 20th, 2021 at 07:09 PM.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 07:06 PM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
KotOR2 is the best. I might have to replay that a bit. The question of "how do we preserve our culture while also adapting to the galaxy around us?" is a fascinating one.
Old Feb 20th, 2021, 07:10 PM
Not a Doctor

Tools
User Statistics
Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek Saratek
Agreed, Kaigen. I had to resist getting too close to Bao-Dur with Viz.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 09:02 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 241
NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09 NightDreamer09
The actual Canon is the things made after Disney brought Star Wars in 2012, es. The Mandalorian, and what they stated it is canon, es. the 6 classic films. Legends is everything written before 2012, also known as the old Expanded Universe, and it's all material dating back the 80s so it is a lot more material. Kotor/Kotor2 at the moment is considered Legends.

Wookiepedia gathers knowledge from basically everything marked as Star Wars so it's practically the bible in fact of lore and it's the most comprehensive online source you can find for Star Wars.

It's a matter of the DM to decide if prefer Canon or Legends.

And yes, I'm tempted to make an application cause Star Wars, even if I never played any of the tabletop roleplaying games, but I need to see if another application goes through before evaluating if I have enough time ^^

Last edited by NightDreamer09; Feb 21st, 2021 at 09:07 AM.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 09:42 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
I tend to use a mix of canon and legends. Basically I stick to canon unless there’s not very much of interest there, in which case I take a look at legends for inspiration. For example, when choosing a planet for this game I looked at the SWGalaxy map for somewhere which is pretty isolated, not on any major hyperlanes, but was reasonably close to a minor one. Rannon fit the bill nicely, but it’s entirely legends, which is fine. If anyone wants to look it up there was only ever one reference to it from a previous Star Wars RPG, and there was a dark Jedi loose on the planet.

He won’t be around in our game, I’m afraid, so Rannon is a blank slate for us.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 10:28 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
That's often the approach I take when I'm running Star Wars. Legends material varies widely in the quality of what it adds to lore (not that canon doesn't have it's own problems, but there's less of it), so I don't want to assume it's on by default, but it's nice to dip into when I need inspiration or I have questions about something not covered in canon.

I appreciate the culture section in the Legends article for Mandalorians because in TV/Film they never take the time to show any part of the warrior culture that's not the warriors (see also: Klingons in Star Trek), and it always makes me wonder what things are like for everyone else. After all, no army is 100% tooth, 0% tail, and in modern armies you have multiple support troops for every combat soldier. Granted, sci-fi tech probably pushes the ratio back towards the teeth, but someone still has to be responsible for building and maintaining that tech and the infrastructure around it.

Anyway, I'll stop rambling for now.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 06:04 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 812
Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix Helvorix
right-aligned image

Name: Koen Nu'kree

Species: Zabrak

Career: Bounty-Hunter

Specialization: Gadgeteer

Universal Spec: Mandalorian Forgemaster

Physical Description: Just shy of 6 feet tall, well-muscled as someone who has conditioned themselves from a very young age, chestnut hair that he cuts himself without using a mirror, and hazel eyes. Due to his upbringing, he doesn't have any tattoos as most Zabraks but tends to decorated his armor with the kinds of patterns that are commonly seen on Iridonia.

Obligation: Antagonist 10: He married a thief and she stole from his clan.

Backstory:

Roleplay Example:

Last edited by Helvorix; Yesterday at 03:44 PM.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 05:11 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 7366
kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel kymrel
@Lazer, will the PCs have access to a starship to hop between missions? If so, what kind of limits are you thinking about for the ship? A "standard" cost ship or something a bit more extravagant, since we're starting at knight level?

I assume this is something we'd discuss in the session 0, but I'd be interested to hear both your thoughts and what the other applicants think.

I have taken the Oath of Sangus.
Old Feb 24th, 2021, 05:14 AM
Not a Doctor

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by kymrel View Post
I'd be interested to hear both your thoughts and what the other applicants think.
As long as it has it flies and has cargo space, Viz can make it work.