Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 407
FunnyValentine FunnyValentine FunnyValentine FunnyValentine FunnyValentine
Let Them Eat Cake

Game NameLet Them Eat Cake
Game SystemPathfinder
ThemeRevolution, Politics, Freedom, Power Corrupts
FlavourFantasy French Revolution. What comes after the revolution has succeeded.
Plot Summary

Game Hook
The Revolution has won.

The people of Penrith, the greatest city of this or any age, have shown their prince and his nobles that the will of the people is stronger than the whip of the noble. But what now? What are the laws of this newly Democratic City State? What will be done with the prince and his nobles? The territories are practically in open revolt. The neighboring kingdoms of Corzuvary and Vagary, sensing weakness and opportunity, have sent scouting missions into Penrinthian territory, probing and testing the water for a potential invasion. The economy is in shambles. It seems that the only thing keeping the revolution running is the presence and zeal of the revolutionary army. And who knows how long it might take before some ambitious officer begins plotting to set himself above the people...

Fortunately the newly elected people's assembly, keenly aware of all of these issues, has empowered a select group of assembly men and women to take charge of the situation. Under the leadership of president of the committee Edward Sarentil, these heroes of the revolution shall form a committee of public safety and will be responsible for dealing with all of these issues and any other potential threats to the sanctity of the revolution. the positions on the committee are as follows:
Foreign Secretary
Internal Affairs Secretary(spymaster)
Economic Secretary
Secretary of Defense
Secretary of Magic
Captain of the City Guard

The fate of all 100,000 souls in the city of Perenthil are in your hands. Only time will tell if the revolution will survive. Will you work to further the ideals of the revolution? Or will you take the opportunity to seize power for yourselves? The choice is yours.

OOC
Hello ladies and gentlemen, welcome to Let Them Eat Cake. This game is heavily inspired by both real world political events and various games like pathfinder: kingmaker. There will be two main modes of play, the first being government management. You are essentially the movers and shakers of the city and within your area of management you have almost complete control to shape the city and revolution how you wish. the only way to countermand a decision you make within your sphere is by two-thirds vote in the people's assembly or by the authority of the president of the committee, Edward Sarentil.

The second is your more traditional party adventure. Manpower and resources are scarce, and you will always have more problems to solve then you have assets available to deal with them you will have to address some problems on your own. you will choose what problems and projects to assign to your agents, and which you will undertake as a group. remember though that time waits for no man, and the longer you are away from the city the more things develop in your absence...

game details
This is your reminder not to roll any dice in the game thread.
Number of Players: 4-6
Post Rate: 1-2 a week.
Starting Level: 5
Acceptable Sources: Anything Paizo
Stats: 25 Point Buy
Starting Equipment/gold: 5000 gold plus one magical item of your choice worth at most 4000 gold.
Closing Date:February 20th

Application Details

Name:
Race:
Class:
Governmental Role:(Choose however many you would be ok with, rank in order of preference)
Description: A short description of your character, plus a picture.
Character Overview: A high level overview of your character concept
Personality:
Backstory: Are you from the City or the surrounding territories that she claims? Why did you join the revolution? what did you do before the resolution? and whatever else you feel necessary. I am happy to work character backstories into the plot, and the world is constantly in development so if you want to make up the name of a town or some other background detail about the world feel free!

RP Sample: You played a major role in the revolution that overthrew the prince of Penrith. Please write a scene that includes one part of your actions during the revolution. Leading an assault, negotiating a surrender, planning the uprising, and anything in-between is acceptable.

Last edited by FunnyValentine; Feb 6th, 2021 at 07:50 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 08:29 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1010
Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332 Arjuna332
Looks interesting. Will come up with an application soon.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 09:42 AM
Young Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 100
TheYell TheYell
Sounds very interesting. I have open applications that will be decided this weekend. If I'm free I will apply.

What sort of alignments are you looking for?
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:15 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYell View Post
Sounds very interesting. I have open applications that will be decided this weekend. If I'm free I will apply.

What sort of alignments are you looking for?
Thanks for the interest in the game! Anything except Chaotic Evil or Neutral Evil would be acceptable. Your motives for joining the revolution are entirely up to you, so I think a Lawful Evil character could fit in quite nicely. I do expect most people will play neutral or good aligned characters, so try not to make a LE character so out there that conflict would instantly erupt between players. Something boiling under the surface throughout the campaign that erupts into conflict due to conflicting ideologies down the line? That sounds like a great story.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:24 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Just wanna ask, is there a pantheon of gods here in the setting? Do the deities in Golarian exist here?
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:25 AM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1297
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Would you accept more than one application per player? I've got an idea in my head for a character that could be Foreign Secretary/Secretary of Defense/Captain of the City Guard and a different character that could be Internal Affairs Secretary/Secretary of Magic/Economic Secretary
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:38 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahril View Post
Would you accept more than one application per player? I've got an idea in my head for a character that could be Foreign Secretary/Secretary of Defense/Captain of the City Guard and a different character that could be Internal Affairs Secretary/Secretary of Magic/Economic Secretary
Hey, thanks for the interest! I definitely have to think about that. I don't have any problem with the idea of applying with more than one character, but at the same time I don't want to get multiple people submitting several characters hoping to get one through. I would say for now just start with the one that you have the most inspiration for and I'll get back to you in a bit about the second application.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:53 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna332 View Post
Just wanna ask, is there a pantheon of gods here in the setting? Do the deities in Golarian exist here?
Quoting this in case if the question was missed.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 10:55 AM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Sounds like a really interesting game. I have a character concept I'd like to run by you before I put too much time into it. I'm thinking of a vigilante; basically he's a nobleman's son that developed a secret identity to fight with the commoners in the revolution. His identity would, at this point after the revolution, be known to the rest of the committee (the party) and probably some other high government officials, but not the populace at large. Officially, his social identity will hold whatever post he has, while the vigilante is seen as his agent or something along those lines (the specifics may vary depending on the exact government role he has). Something like the early days of Iron Man when he was supposedly Tony Stark's bodyguard. Do you think this concept would work in your game?
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 11:38 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arjuna332 View Post
Quoting this in case if the question was missed.
Apologies, I did indeed miss the question. Yes, we will be using the Golarion Pantheon for ease of use.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 11:39 AM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics
Neat! I'll start making an application soon.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 11:52 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exhibit A View Post
Sounds like a really interesting game. I have a character concept I'd like to run by you before I put too much time into it. I'm thinking of a vigilante; basically he's a nobleman's son that developed a secret identity to fight with the commoners in the revolution. His identity would, at this point after the revolution, be known to the rest of the committee (the party) and probably some other high government officials, but not the populace at large. Officially, his social identity will hold whatever post he has, while the vigilante is seen as his agent or something along those lines (the specifics may vary depending on the exact government role he has). Something like the early days of Iron Man when he was supposedly Tony Stark's bodyguard. Do you think this concept would work in your game?
This sounds like a very interesting concept! I have no problem with you playing it, but there are a few caveats you should be aware of that would forced on your character:
1) Your social identity is going to be very heavily disliked by a large portion of the populace, even if you are seen as a supporter of the revolution.
2) Most Nobles have been stripped of all titles and offices. Any role you maintain through your nobility is likely ceremonial at best. The only exception is religious roles, where nobility have mostly maintained their positions.
3)Your outward support of the revolution through your "agent" and presumably through other avenues is what saved you from prison. You are still on very thin ice. Many people likely believe that you supported the revolution only to save your own skin. you are going to have to work hard to prove yourself to the people, especially since your actions as the vigilante won't influence their opinion of you as the noble.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 12:34 PM
Blessed

Tools
User Statistics

Application withdrawn

Last edited by Arjuna332; Feb 21st, 2021 at 08:33 AM.
Old Feb 6th, 2021, 01:01 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
@FunnyValentine Thanks, that all sounds more or less like what I expected. I'll get working on an app.
Old Feb 7th, 2021, 02:53 AM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
Brian Brian Brian Brian
Just curious, During the aftermath of the French Revolution religion was outlawed and replaced by a deist state religion. Is this aspect included/How would it play out?