RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 10th, 2021, 12:45 PM
Eternal Bard

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 25299
Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen Wynamoinen
Please stop making rolls in this thread. The GM has asked you nicely once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
@Everyone This is my fault, but please do not make any more rolls in this application thread. If you already did, that's fine. Anything going forward should be made in the thread HERE.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 12:57 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9410
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@Elfman6 Yes, the setting is similar to Dark Sun in some respects. Regarding the use of magic, it is generally outlawed by midlanders and mostly punishable by death in other places. Taking the conceal spell feat would be a great way to open up casting spells while still in public places with a modicum of safety.

I like the idea of the young noble in hiding. Perhaps the family learned of his proclivity toward magic and shunned him for hear or bringing trouble to the family

@epelj1 Welcome
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 01:06 PM
Great Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1190
epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1 epelj1
My apologies for not thoroughly reading the directions.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 03:29 PM
DAGRON

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 6374
Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A Exhibit A
Working on my backstory, and I'm wondering how to match the deep background options with the party being from a specific town. Specifically, I have the "Front Lines" homeland; would my character be from somewhere else originally and came to Dunmark later in life? If so, I'd also appreciate any insight as to what regions in the midlands would fit that background. Maybe somewhere that deals with skorn or thuel attacks? If there are giants of any kind in the setting, that would be perfect (my character is going to be a giant instinct barbarian).
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 03:45 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
@epelj1 No worries, I should have made that apparent from the get go.

@Exhibit A Warring clans of giants hold dominion over the the peaks of the Ironhull Mountains to the north. The lower ranges of which are skorn hunting grounds.

I will flesh out the geography a bit more to help out with constructing backstories. So long as the characters are at Dunmark for some reason, that's all that matters. Although this is a sandbox, we still need the characters to be near one another so we can find an organic way to get them all together.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 04:36 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
I added a geography and a cities section which can be found HERE.

Last edited by Silent Rain; Feb 10th, 2021 at 05:36 PM.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 09:46 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 333
Brian Brian Brian Brian
I've updated my original post with a Character, Lothar Jurant.
Old Feb 10th, 2021, 10:39 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Brian Great application. I really enjoyed reading about Lothar and watching how you tied in the results of the deep background into his backstory. I also liked the Sherlock vibe. Looks like you are good to go for now.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 08:47 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1575
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Posting interest. Have rolled up background and it appears my guy will be fighter type who likes to wrestle with giants.
Old Feb 11th, 2021, 09:50 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Draidden, glad to see you rolling an app. I believe Exhibit A also has some background with giants. Perhaps your characters could have some connection, if you like.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 12:55 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Just a heads up, but I have never played Pathfinder. I was looking over the SRD and boy is it different from D&D. Are you using the dice roll method or the everything starts at 10 and then add the stat boosts? I ask because the last one sounds like the best stat you could have at 1st level is a 12. And that sounds a bit low for starting, but not completely unmanageable.

I do like the background method as it really helps in thinking up one for your character.

And I am not sure what the Archetype Variant is or where to find it.

Last edited by Draidden; Feb 12th, 2021 at 01:01 AM.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 01:45 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Draidden No worries. PF2e is easy enough to pick up on the fly. Just let me know if you get stuck on anything.

You don't need to roll stats now, but I will be using the "standard" method in 2e that starts at 10 and then adds ability boosts for your ancestry, background and class. Each time you get a boost in any ability score, you are actually adding 2. So, if you increased the same stat three times, you could easily get scores up to 16.

I'm glad you liked the Deep Backgrounds. This is the first time I am using them.

Archetypes are something that comes online at 2nd level. Normally, after taking an archetype (think subclass), you would either take your class feat or the archetype feat/ability every even level. The variant rule basically gives you a free archetype, so works like a bolt-on to your class instead of a semi-replacement.

A great site for all PF2e rules is the Archives of Nethys

Last edited by Silent Rain; Feb 12th, 2021 at 01:45 AM.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 10:02 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Originally when I read over the stat boosts it sounded like you could not put more than one boost on any one stat, which was confusing considering you get like seven boosts and only six stats. But after further reading I think I get it. You get your race boosts which have to be on separate stats. Then you get background boosts which which must go one separate stats, but can go on ones you boosted with race. And then you get the stat boost for class that can go on top of other boosts and last another 4 boosts that can go on any stat but each has to be on a different one. Thus if planned right you could start with an 18 in one stat.

But I will worry about that later. Off to finish reading up on the world and writing up the app.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 11:05 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
What is the heritage option? I am checking out the site you gave me and can't seem to find it.
Old Feb 12th, 2021, 11:18 AM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
Place Holder
right-aligned image
Name: Jake

Ancestry: Human, Argosan

Heritage: Versatile, bonus feat of Hefty Hauler

Background: Stat boost to Str and Con, Fishing Lore, bonus Titan Wrestler Feat and training in Athletics.

Class: Barbarian

Description: For lack of a better description, Jake is BIG! Standing at 6' 8” tall Jake towers over most other people. He is heavily muscled yet moves with easy grace that is a warning to any who pay attention of the danger bottled up inside him. His facial features are a bit boyish, with no facial hair and his face usually has a bit of a stern look on it. His hair is a dirty blonde and kept at shoulder length. He almost always has it pulled back into a small pony tail to keep it out of his eyes. He generally wears a suit of studded leather armor with a worn leather cloak and his hand axes are never far from his hands.

Goals: Fame, money and vengeance against those who like to prey on people weaker then them.

Last edited by Draidden; Feb 13th, 2021 at 07:02 PM.