RPG Crossing
twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 19th, 2021, 12:26 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 9689
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
Quote:
@Out of curiosity, how long do you expect the game to last?
Until it stops? Seriously though, I expect it to run for as long as there is player engagement, with no level cap in mind.

Based on everyone's goals so far, I have been putting together a loose narrative that will provide a bunch of options the players might follow up on that I think their characters would be interested in pursuing. There is no 'right' path for them to take. Of course, I do need the players to team up, so I'm going to do my best to come up with an organic way for that to happen without there being too much artifice.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 01:49 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain Silent Rain
I have added a section about Dunmark to the cities and outposts section of the settings guide.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 02:09 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1038
Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage Pinotage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Rain View Post
Until it stops? Seriously though, I expect it to run for as long as there is player engagement, with no level cap in mind.
Thanks. I'm a total PF2 noob and quite keen to try it, but I don't think trying it on a game that's going to last this long is recommended. Thanks in any case.
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 11:04 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 3310
Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19 Noquarter19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drachenspirit View Post
Reading through it, Is Shield Block and Reactive Shield basically the same thing? Or close enough that a fighter need not have both?
Shields in 2e aren't automatically added to AC; without the reactive shield feat, a player would need to use one of their 3 actions to raise their shield. Shield block allows you to basically subtract its amount in hardness from whatever damage you take (ie, you take 10 damage, hardness of 5 = 5 damage). At least that's my understanding based on the fighter I'm running in another 2e game
Old Feb 19th, 2021, 11:45 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Right, both feats use a reaction. Reactive shield allows you to raise your shield to add a bonus to your AC as a reaction if you had not raised your shield during your turn (which you should have). In my opinion, this is a waste of your reaction. Shield block is what allows you, provided you raised your shield on your turn, to use your reaction to actually "block" an attack. Like Noquarter19 said, it reduces the damage of the attack by the hardness of the shield and then both you and the shield take the balance. Your shield will eventually break after doing this enough times, but it can be repaired.

Honestly, shields are one of the more complex things you will run into in PF2e, but I find they add a fun tactical challenge once you get the hang of it. I happen to be playing a shield fighter in PF2e game right now and you can see an example in use HERE.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 08:54 AM
Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 295
bookworm bookworm bookworm
Hi @Silent Rain, just letting you know I consider the Diana Carter application to be complete. Let me know if you'd like more detail on anything.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 09:41 AM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@bookworm Thanks, I updated the chart. Nice app. Good backstory that make use of all of the points from the deep background and strong tie-in to her goals and what brought her to Dunmark.

@Everyone Today is the last day for new submissions. After that, I will allow a little time for everyone who had submitted an application to make adjustments, if needed, and to finish their apps, at which point I will select the group.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 04:32 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 499
Brian Brian Brian Brian Brian
Does Dunmark have the equivalent of an Inn? Where would we, as travelers, likely be staying? would we just bunk into a domicile that had room?
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 05:35 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
@Brian Good question. There is an inn and tavern called the Ruddy Rooster. Various transients, outdoorsmen, explorers, traders, etc., would stay at the inn. The domiciles are used for more permanent living, for those that would call Dunmark their home.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 06:07 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24267
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
Wilmot Brown
right-aligned image
Name: Wilmot Brown

Ancestry: Human

Heritage: Versatile

Background: Guilt-ridden Survivor

Class: Cleric

Description Wilmot is an eccentric fellow, in looks and in habits. Always seen puffing on his long pipe, long unkempt hair billowing in the wind. The man looks as if he is lost to reality... always as if he would rather be somewhere else. Will, in conversation comes across as warm and quite genial even though his smile quickly disappears when the conversation ends. The tall, slight man, the way he looks at you, always seems to be... not quite judging you... but somehow finding you wanting none the less.

Character backstory Wilmot had plans as a child... plans that revolved around dusty tomes... solitary study all in the service of further knowledge. It was a selfish plan... designed to feed his own needs and with no thoughts of how it might effect anyone else. As a result he was an insular child, more interested in his books than people. He would gain entry into the Royal College.

He certainly did not engage in or have any desire to learn the lessons of the sword and shield. It was not part of his plan... but then again... neither was the murder of his sister. When the killer entered his small shack... the lone inheritance from his long dead parents, Wilmot tried to fight... it was a pitiful show. He was 15... his sister 18. Wimot was beaten unconscious and when he awoke... his sister was gone.

The guilt almost drove Wilmot to end his life... somedays the thought still haunts him. The killer had stolen from the family in the past. Rather than confront the man, Wilmot had approached it as an intellectual challenge... he would design a trap for the man. His failure had emboldened the killer... and now Wilmot was left with an inner hatred that threatened to destroy him.

It was a priestess of Argona that saved Wimot's shattered soul. She gently showed him that surrendering to his grief and anger was too fail again. Instead, she said, he could make it his life's work to protect others from feeling the same loss... pain... hurt. Wilmot swore, in his sister's name, that he would spend the rest of his days being the protector that he had once failed to be.

Goals: Wilmot strives to protect those who cannot help themselves. The world is full of evil. The murderer of his sister was never found... most likely it was a person with friends... friends with the resources to protect the guilty.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 08:03 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Hey Begon, Good background and its nice to see someone in the Midlands that actually has come altruistic goals. I just need to know what brought brought him to Dunmark.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 08:47 PM
Feeding my addiction...

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 24267
Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo Begon Ugo
He would be in Dunmark to visit the Dead Tree. His sister loved the story of the tree and always spoke of visiting... she never got the chance. Wilmot visited after his sister disappeared and left a memento of hers behind. He has tried to come visit whenever he can... at least once a year but unfortunately Wilmot has not been back in years.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 09:40 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics
Quote:
Originally Posted by Begon Ugo View Post
He would be in Dunmark to visit the Dead Tree. His sister loved the story of the tree and always spoke of visiting... she never got the chance. Wilmot visited after his sister disappeared and left a memento of hers behind. He has tried to come visit whenever he can... at least once a year but unfortunately Wilmot has not been back in years.
Not going to lie, this is one of the best reasons I've seen
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 10:20 PM
Neighborhood Mind Flayer

Tools
User Statistics

Applications are now closed

Anyone not marked as Complete on the applications chart at the bottom of the first post in this thread, please let me know if you are no longer interested, or if you need additional time to complete your application.
Old Feb 21st, 2021, 11:08 PM
knows too much

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 12797
Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6 Elfman6
Just been exhausted the past week and a half. I'll try and get done by the initial deadline, but if you decide to call it early and choose your players; I get it. I won't get anywhere near my laptop until Thursday night. That's where I'm at.