twitter facebook

Notices

Old Feb 17th, 2021, 11:41 AM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 898
Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren Kepheren
Thank you. It all sounds wonderfully wicked. I will go look at the wiki for awhile and try to fumble around for an application if you don't mind a total newbie.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 11:51 AM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 16405
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
Nope, new players are absolutely welcome!
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:03 PM
Is Everything.

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1520
Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude Attitude
Collide
right-aligned image
Character Name: Harvey Redenbacher
Street Handle: Collide
Metatype: Ork
Archetype: Street Samurai (tank)

Appearance: Collide is a youngish ork just a touch over the two-meter mark and built like a brick drekhouse. It doesn’t take a degree in cybermedicine to see that he has been heavily augmented, either. The muscles and dermal plating are straight off the showroom floor, but his clothes look like they’re straight off the sidewalk. He is all-in on the street couture look from the top of his shaved head to the tips of his steel-toed combat boots.

Collide carries himself with the confidence of youth. The look in his eye says he’s seen plenty of hard times, but his genuinely amiable smile suggests that those hardships haven’t beaten him down. When he talks, he sounds like your typical ork ganger except for the occasional five nuyen word sneaks into his vocabulary.

Personality: Many orks don’t survive their teenage years due to that restless angst they all go through. Those that do make it, usually do so by doubling down on their aggressive nature. It’s hard not to when the media, other orks, and even non-orks all but expect it.

Harvey went a different direction though. Sure, he spent those years in a gang and dipped down into the violence that comes with that lifestyle, but his reaction was very different from the norm. He has been shot, stabbed, and punched so many times it doesn’t even bother him anymore. He has a very laid-back view of life, often finds himself being the peacemaker if the people around him are arguing and likes to have intellectual conversations on a variety of topics.

When he’s on the job, he is more than capable of unleashing the “Tough Ork” persona if the situation calls for it. It’s just a show but it puts things in perspective and helps him get his mind right for the ugly side of being a shadowrunner. Sometimes he’s a little uncomfortable with how easy it is to slip into that role.

Background: Harvey was born just outside of Vancouver, in what used to be Canada. Although his family was poor and SINless, he still had access to the Matrix and grew up loving all things mechanical. He’d be lying if he said that he didn’t love the trid shows about shadowrunners but his true passion back then was anything mechanical.

After his parents got a divorce, his mother moved to Seattle and took him with her. She worked long hours to keep a roof over their head and food on the table. Because she wasn’t around as much as she wanted to be while Harvey was growing up, gangs and the Matrix became his parents.

By eleven years old he was in a neighborhood gang called the Rising Sons. At fifteen he was officially jumped into the gang but by then he’d already been in plenty of fights both with fellow gangers and with people outside the gang. By being tough and loyal, he worked his way up to being a bodyguard for the leader. As the gang prospered, so did Harvey. For a while, money and cyberware were easy to get. A string of turf wars convinced the young ork to invest in ‘ware that would keep him alive in a pinch.

Nothing lasts forever though. The Sons were peacefully absorbed by a bigger gang. Havey’s old gang leader became a lieutenant and, for a while, Harvey was his right-hand man ork. Either because the culture was different or because Harvey was getting older, things just didn’t feel the same. Harvey slowly faded himself out of the gang but stays in touch with his old boss.

To pay the bills, Harvey became a shadowrunner. In truth, it isn’t that much different from being in a gang. You have to hustle more to find work, but that’s about it. In the shadows, Harvey took the moniker, Collide. He has a good, working relationship with an elf mage but the two of them work solo as much as they work together.

RP Sample: Harvey let out a long breath as he carefully lowered the piston cylinder. In the upper right-hand corner of his field of view, an instructional video of the same process played on a loop. Gotta love the Matrix, he thought. Once everything was in place, he reinstalled the engine in his Scorpion.

He had spent most of the day working on his bike. Even though he was covered in grease, he couldn’t be happier. Working on engines was something he loved. He dreamed of owning a shop and spending his days fixing motorcycles, but it was always tomorrow, next month, next year. Someday….

Harvey knew his funds were getting low. He hated looking for work, though. His passive-aggressive approach to that aspect of his life was to hang out in the right kinds of bars and wait for something to drop into his lap. The success ratio was fragging low but it was a good excuse to toss back a few beers and the occasional brawl gave him a chance to showcase his skills.

What is your character's primary motivation? What are their hopes and dreams? Harvey has always wanted more time to be an auto mechanic. He dreams of hitting it big and retiring where nobody knows him. Someplace where he can open a small auto shop and watch the world go by.

How do they act around their parents? Friends? Boss? Around friends and family, Harvey is laid-back. He likes to shoot the drek or get into good-natured, intellectual debates about anything from philosophy to guns and ammo.

How does your character act under stress? In high stress situations like combat or someone bad-mouthing his motorcycle, Harvey’s inner savage comes out. He doesn’t lose his ability to think but he’s more than happy to play the role that the media insists orks fit into.

What is your character's weakness, their kryptonite? Harvey loves his Harley Scorpion and woe to anyone who does something to it, looks at it funny, or even thinks harsh thoughts near it.

What will your character die for? Even though they’ve parted ways, the leader of Harvey’s old gang was like the father he never had. He’d help that ole tusker out of any problem or avenge him if something happened. Also, see previous statement about Harvey’s bike.

What is your character's biggest hypocrisy? Harvey isn’t a rocket scientist, but he does have an intellectual side to him. Unfortunately, neither gangs nor shadowrunners care too much about that. They just want him to be a big, dumb, meat-shield and would he please shut up while he’s doing it?

What conflicts does your character have in their life? The biggest conflict in Harvey's life is his relationship with his mother. They barely talk. Harvey know's he needs to do something about it but it always feels awkward. He also still has ties to his old gang life.

Last edited by Attitude; Feb 19th, 2021 at 10:11 AM.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:30 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5420
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat Queen View Post
There's an excellent Wiki with a ton of useful information. You can find a timeline, description of races and subraces, discussion about various cities, megacorps, and a few individuals relevant to the setting. I used (and still use) this wiki as a lifeline, especially when others more knowledgeable about SR than myself start discussing the novels or obscure details.
Ugh god, that wiki is a godsend, it's so much better than the other devil-sent wiki.

Last edited by Marshmallow; Feb 17th, 2021 at 12:32 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:32 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Yeah, it's a bit of information over load at the moment. *doh* Will see if my friends have a hard copy or PDF of the current rule books. Will continue to study the wiki though because it looks like a fun game. I hope to break into it at some point, either here or playing the online version. To hear them talk about it is a lot of fun.

Beware: Gamers at play. Not responsible for any damages inflicted by wandering monsters, random encounters or my over active imagination!
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:35 PM
Supposed Gaming Goddess

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 5420
Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow Marshmallow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kepheren View Post
Yeah, it's a bit of information over load at the moment. *doh* Will see if my friends have a hard copy or PDF of the current rule books. Will continue to study the wiki though because it looks like a fun game. I hope to break into it at some point, either here or playing the online version. To hear them talk about it is a lot of fun.
Well if it helps you (and any other prospective players) I wrote a guide for creating a character in last years outplay, which you can find here, it's tailored specifically to the rules of that year's Outplay, so it doesn't cover everything extensively, but it gives you the basics of how a character is made.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Mature Adult Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1515
Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril Tahril
Quote:
So, I have never played Shadowrun, nor have I ever seen any of the books and I don't know much at all about it. But all my friends have been going on and on about how they like the newest online game (and complaining a lot about the bugginess but that is another matter.).
What online game is this? I didnít think shadowrun had any new games since Hong Kong.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 12:55 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
I don't know the name of it. Only that it seems to be rather recent and is buggy as hell....and my friends talk about playing it on multiple platforms like PC, Xbox, etc, etc. They are all offline at the moment or I would ask.

Old Feb 17th, 2021, 01:01 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36835
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
I don't know the name of it. Only that it seems to be rather recent and is buggy as hell....and my friends talk about playing it on multiple platforms like PC, Xbox, etc, etc. They are all offline at the moment or I would ask.
They're probably talking about Cyberpunk 2077 which is its own beast and also has its own TTRP, Cyberpunk Red

As for newbies and people looking for resources, here's a link to my Shadowrun training game. There are a slew of pre generated runners as well as links to the errata, maps, and various player resources.

Not to mention our dedicated SR5 rules question thread

Good luck out their chummers, you're going to need it!
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1575
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
Shinobi
right-aligned image
Character Name: Jason Stratton

Street Handle: Shinobi

Metatype: Human

Archetype: Black Ops/ Thief

Appearance: Shinobi is an average looking human. At 5'11" and 194 lbs with his reddish brown hair and brown eyes he does not really stand out in a crowd. He generally wears a black body suit, which is actually a chameleon suit, with a black trench coat to help hide his weapons. During missions he also wears a helmet which completely hides his facial features.

Personality: Shinobi tends to be calm and quiet most of the time, trying not to attract attention. He prefers to listen and learn things and then when he has something of worth to say then he says it. He dislikes killing, unless it is necessary, or that is the job. But normally he prefers to stun and knock out people if he can't just sneak past them.

Background: Jason Stratton was born in Essen, in the Allied States of Germany. He had the normal life of one born in the Saeder-Krupp Corp. His parents were high up in the corporation and he was trained to be one of the corporations elite black-ops members. He was doing very well and life was good until the one day that his group failed to take out their target and acquire the stolen property they had been sent after. It was not their fault, the intel they had was bad and there was way more protection they they were ready for. Only half the twelve man team did not make it back alive. Lowfyr, the ancient dragon that owns and runs Saeder-Krupp, was furious and as rumors hinted at he took his anger out on the remaining members of the strike team, killing them all. Or at least it thought it killed them all.

Last edited by Draidden; Feb 19th, 2021 at 01:06 AM.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 01:10 PM
Old Dragon

Tools
User Statistics
Your probably right and that is terribly embarrassing. I was quoting the wrong game. *doh*

Old Feb 17th, 2021, 01:15 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen The Rat Queen
*goes to Imveros' training game*

*squeals and steals all the things*

Last edited by The Rat Queen; Feb 17th, 2021 at 01:16 PM.
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 01:17 PM
Community Supporter

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 36835
Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros Imveros
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Rat Queen View Post
*goes to Imveros' training game*

*squeals and steals all the things*
"A good artist copies, a great artist steals"
~Imveros
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 05:00 PM
Wyrm

Tools
User Statistics
RPXP: 1575
Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden Draidden
I am using the Chummer5 software and I want to use Bioware not cybernetic implants, but for some reason it has bioware grayed out and unavailable. Is there something I have to purchase before I can get bioware?
Old Feb 17th, 2021, 05:12 PM
The Archfriend.

Tools
User Statistics
@Draidden - Not sure why it would do that...I didn't have to buy anything to purchase Bioware.

Under Tools -> Options, make sure the proper sourcebooks are used. Also make sure you have enough nuyen for the purchase, I guess? It might also possibly be that you haven't finished earlier steps in character creation, like stats and such.

Anyone have other ideas?